The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

The sapphire and diamond drops are my favorites!

http://i.acephotos.org/images/orig/6...yc83jocy30.jpg

Old 11-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

Now you're talking She looks so classy with these earrings. Generally, sapphires highlighted Diana's colors-especially her eyes-much better than other stones

Old 11-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
But, the piece was not Diana's--it is a piece which belongs to the Princess of Wales. Diana wasn't the only Princess of Wales. And, while Diana wore the piece often, I'm sure I would say that it was associated only with her. That's pretty much ignoring some significant jewel history! It's not as if Camilla is wearing her engagement ring or the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara--those are pieces associated dramatically with her.
Actually, If you go back to DOC Jewels 3 in the 100 post area, you will see that the necklace/pin of the POW feathers was a gift from QE to Diana at the time of her wedding to Charles. As such, it should have gone to her sons, NOT Camilla. I have to say, after getting a beating on the subject from the 'usual suspects' and given that a Mod very recently stated definatively that it was absolutely 2 different pieces ...I am curious, now that it's established that it is one in the same piece of jewelry, do any of those who shouted 'No it isnt, Camilla would never wear anything associated with Diana' have anything to say? I personally think it is in excruciatingly poor taste to wear a wedding present given to the 1st wife, when the second wife played such a pivotal role in the marriage break up. Kind of like it would be in extremely bad taste for a woman in that scenario to attend the first wife's memorial with 'their' husband....
Old 11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I'll go ahead and admit I was a little disappointed to be proven wrong and I know I was one of the more outspoken ones about there being two brooches. However, I stated back then and I will state now--it wasn't Diana's brooch than the lover's knot was hers ,or the emerald choker was hers. QE2 does not just hand out historic jewels like that (unlike Queen Margrethe and that wonderful diamond tiara she gave away). Now, I do see your point about it having been a wedding present and all--but, it is a piece associated with the Princess of Wales--not the former Princess of Wales who was exceptionally venemous about Camilla--while glossing over her own extracurricular activities. It's an historic brooch--part of the Royal Collection and within Camilla's right to wear it.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-06-2009, 04:35 AM
Administrator

Let's not continue the Diana-Camilla blah blah. Diana's been dead for 12 years now. Let it (and her) rest.

  

As to the brooch (/brooches?), we have information from the generally reliable RJOTWMB stating there is one, and we have information from The Lady Diana Discussion Board in August this year quoting royal jewels author Leslie Field, who stated there are two. However, the poster who provided the RJ information is regarded highly so maybe Ms Field (if quoted correctly) is mistaken or is referring to another set of brooches.

The other "new" information is that Diana's jewellery was divided three ways after her death. We were aware that the "important" pieces went back to the Crown, ie the Queen, and the remainder or bulk were left to William and Harry. Now it is stated that some jewels (or at least one) were returned to the Prince of Wales. As far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, this third division hadn't been mentioned anywhere previously.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Royal Highness

I did find it interesting that a piece of Queen Alexandra's, which I assumed would be part of the royal collection, would go to Charles rather than back to the Collection.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

The first POW feathers brooch was originally a wedding gift from Edward, Prince of Wales, to Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Queen Alexandra later passed it on to Princess May when she married Prince George. It was given to Diana as a wedding gift from The Queen Mother and converted by The Princess to a pendant.

The piece worn by Camilla is another POW feathers brooch made for Queen Mary when she was Princess of Wales and was a gift to The Duchess from The Queen.

They are NOT the same pieces.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is a nice pair of Princess Diana's earrings:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2u89o2u.jpg
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Aristocracy

i love this earrings. that is very beautiful. thanks a lot queenofthelight
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthelight View Post
Here is a nice pair of Princess Diana's earrings:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2u89o2u.jpg
Lovely earrings, though very late 1980s / early 1990s.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Serene Highness

Some pictures of Diana and tiara
Plaatjesupload.nl :: Gratis Plaatjes en Foto's Uploaden - Upload Plaatjes
http://plaatjesupload.nl/bekijk/2008...5294626-23.jpg
Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 AM
Royal Highness

This tiara I haven't seen before. Does anyone know it? Is Diana, Princess of Wales wearing a pearl or diamond necklace in the photo.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

That's the very well known Lover's Knot tiara, worn with a simple pearl necklace.
The pic is only photoshopped using the corniest 'misty' haze in order to look 'romantic' or whatever.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Royal Highness

That's again Boris.
I think the image is so hazey that I could not make out the tiara and necklace. I thought it was a geometric designed diamond tiara with out pearls.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Royal Highness

I think the Lover's Knot is a lovely tiara, but sometimes Diana didn't show it to it's best advantage because of that short hair of hers--http://www.melcot.com/images/carol_di_page2.jpg

I vastly preferred her hair a bit longer for when she wore tiara--such as this:
http://shop.rexfeatures.com/image/pr...983_501386.jpg (and, it's a good pic of the sapphires)

And, the one time (I think) she wore her hair perfectly for a tiara she apparently was reprimanded because she upstaged the Queen (supposedly, I don't really know):
http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2007410788,00.jpg

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/734...8E7DC251EC872F
(tiara, engagement ring, bracelet)

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you Janet. It's a pity the Queen slapped her down on that hairstyle. I alway enjoy an up-do with the tiara...not to mention, it gives something to anchor the headpiece to.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I agree with you Janet. It's a pity the Queen slapped her down on that hairstyle. I alway enjoy an up-do with the tiara...not to mention, it gives something to anchor the headpiece to.
Exactly! It always looked to me like her tiara was slipping in her hair.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do like Princess Diana's hair longer with the Lovers Knot Tiara. Thanks for postiing these, they are lovely!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
And, the one time (I think) she wore her hair perfectly for a tiara she apparently was reprimanded because she upstaged the Queen (supposedly, I don't really know):
http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2007410788,00.jpg
I think she looked great in this photo but, where is the historical verification for purpetuating the urban myth about her being reprimanded for upstaging the Queen.

To be honest her youth and beauty "upstaged" the Queen and everyone else from the day of her wedding and even the Queen approved of her profile in the beginning so, why on earth would she be "reprimanded" on this occassion and, to be honest, would the Diana we have come to know have even listened?

I think it was more an attitude/comfort deal for Diana. She loved the freedom of her short but well coiffured locks and the Spencer tiara was light and lent itself well to her preferred hairstyle. With her relatively short hair it would have taken ages to style her hair in an updo . . . hairpins and a can of hairspray to boot. Very prim and not at all the look she made her own.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Courtier

There was a lot of press coverage at the time, immediately after the event - stories believed to have come from Palace staff about the response to Diana's appearance. We'll never know any more than that I suspect

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales