The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Courtier

A look at some of princess diana's jewels
http://princessdianabookboutique.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/ut00070701.jpg?w=371&h=480
http://princessdianabookboutique.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/rivierenecklace_spencer.jpg?w=450&h=449
http://princessdianabookboutique.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/nellierjowmb4.jpg?w=450&h=774
http://princessdianabookboutique.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/scan00131.jpg?w=450&h=629

Old 10-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Serene Highness

Diana owned true masterpieces,just look at the first set or at the emerald necklace.Absolutely stunning

Old 10-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

The diamond & pearl set in the first pic was never owned by Princess Diana, who wore it only once, shortly before her death, at a premiere of the ballet 'Swan Lake'. It was on loan from a jeweler who claimed after her death that she had intended to buy it.

Likewise, the necklace in pic #2 was never Princess Diana's, but is Spencer familiy property. She wore it once in public, in the early 80s, with only the central drop pearl pendant attached.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Spencer tiara
http://i36.tinypic.com/315fo1f.jpg

Moderator note: This is a cut and paste photmontage created many years ago by GillW.
As far as we know Diana was never photographed wearing this tiara in public.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Salma, that picture of Princess Diana wearing the other Spencer tiara is not authentic.
It's a photomontage showing what it might have looked like if she had worn it.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

The 11-strand Pearl choaker reminds me of the necklace that Princes Madeline of Sweden wears alot. I loved that on Diana, and enjoye when P Madeline wears the royal swedish one too.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Salma, that picture of Princess Diana wearing the other Spencer tiara is not authentic.
It's a photomontage showing what it might have looked like if she had worn it.
Quite right - I own up to creating that particular image with two photocopies and a pair of scissors about ten years ago! Amazing how these things come back to haunt you! I hope everyone takes note that on the occasion shown Diana did not wear any head ornament at all. The tiara was taken from the picture of the tiara being worn in "Ancestral Jewels" by another Spencer lady.

I'm sorry my experiment has confused and distracted people, but it seems once something is "out there" on the net, there's no way of getting it back or stopping it spreading!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUBIAUR View Post
Princess Diana wore this tiara:
http://i36.tinypic.com/5owaae.jpg
please read post #215. This is not a real photo but photoshopped so people could see what the tiara would look like on Diana.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayvee View Post
please read post #216. This is not a real photo but photoshopped so people could see what the tiara would look like on Diana.
...AND post #217 where I tell you how I mocked it up!!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Once the cat is out of the bag... (or the squirrel is in the wheel ...)
It seems to be near-impossible to stop internet misinformation, even when in this case subsequent posts clearly explain the picture is a mock-up.
I've put a rider in red and bold type under the link in question in the hope the picture won't be further misrepresented.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Gill and Warren for getting the REAL story out there.....you are right, once something is in cyber space, you can never get it back. Oh the drawbacks of modern technology. Thanks for trying to set the record straight!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Once the cat is out of the bag... (or the squirrel is in the wheel ...)
It seems to be near-impossible to stop internet misinformation, even when in this case subsequent posts clearly explain the picture is a mock-up.
I've put a rider in red and bold type under the link in question in the hope the picture won't be further misrepresented.
Bravo!! Many thanks for doing that for us all.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clymène View Post
There's a superb 5 parts documentary on Youtube, called: Diana, her life in jewels.
Wow, thank you SO much for this link. I really enjoyed watching it. It's amazing seeing the amount of jewelery that she was given, the amount of attention that she got from it, and just from being such a beautiful person. She truly was beautiful. It was really sad though seeing her face at the last public gathering with Charles. Her face was just full of sadness. You could see that she was extremely unhappy. It's amazing, even with all that she had.. it just goes to show that even those who have everything can still be unhappy in the long run. Makes me want to cry. She reminds me of myself a little bit. She was so shy. She just wasn't ready to be Princess I think. It's amazing how much of a difference Camilla's public perception is.. And it makes me a little sad seeing the jewels passed on to the next wife. I'm glad that they got the Spencer Tiara back. I didn't know what happened to it. It hasn't been seen since and now is at the Spencer estate? Are people allowed in the estate, is there anything set up where you can see the tiara or do you have to be family to be allowed in?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Meg View Post
And it makes me a little sad seeing the jewels passed on to the next wife.
None of Diana's jewels have been "passed on to the next wife". The Lover's Knot tiara was returned to the Queen, the rest of her jewels were left to William and Harry.

Quote:
I'm glad that they got the Spencer Tiara back.
The Spencer Tiara belongs to the Earl Spencer. It was returned to Diana's brother some time before her death.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
None of Diana's jewels have been "passed on to the next wife". The Lover's Knot tiara was returned to the Queen, the rest of her jewels were left to William and Harry.

The Spencer Tiara belongs to the Earl Spencer. It was returned to Diana's brother some time before her death.
Wow, thanks for clearing that up. I figured as much.. I meant something completely different then what you think I thought.. Well in the video it said that her brother had to ask for it back or something like that.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Aristocracy

Question... does anyone know if there are any pictures/paintings of the Spencer women wearing the Spencer tiara? I don't mean her sister.. I mean older ancestors.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Royal Highness

Hi LadyMeg,
That video, Diana: Her Life in Jewels is very wonderful visually, but it really has a lot of false information in it. Nothing worn by Diana is now worn by Camilla. Pieces given to Diana by the Queen are now with the Queen again (Lover's Knot, Cambridge emerald choker) and her personal jewels (engagement ring, saudi sapphires, gifts from Charles) are being held for the princes. I would imagine that items such as the RFO and the PoW pendant were returned to the crown as well, being historic pieces and all.
Welcome to the Forums!
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

I see. Thank you very much for clearing that up and actually taking the time to explain. When was the video made? I hate how you can't get the right information unless you dig. Thank you again.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Emerald Choker were personal bequests to The Queen from Queen Mary. She gave them to Diana as wedding gifts and they were returned to the Crown after Diana's death. The Queen Mother gave Diana the spectacular Sri Lankan sapphire surrounded by two rows of diamonds and the Prince of Wales feathers brooch, both of which were likely returned to The Queen as well.

The Spencer Tiara was borrowed by Diana after she married, but it was a bequest to her brother, Charles, from her grandfather. Since Charles was still a minor when she married and had no wife at the time, she continued to use it for many years. After Diana and Charles formally separated and The Earl Spencer married Victoria, he requested Diana return it, which she did.

The rest of her jewels were wedding gifts from the Saudis or the Gulf emirates, or gifts from Prince Charles. These jewels are in safekeeping for William and Harry as part of their inheritance.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Courtier

http://up.iranblog.com/3/1257154803.jpg
http://up.iranblog.com/3/1257146384.jpg
http://up.iranblog.com/3/1257202063.jpg
http://up.iranblog.com/3/1257175797.jpg
http://up.iranblog.com/3/1257152966.jpg
http://up.iranblog.com/3/1257223688.jpg
http://up.iranblog.com/3/1257184726.jpg
http://up.iranblog.com/3/1257179181.jpg

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess of wales