The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's definitely a demi-parure of cabochon- (round) cut amethysts in the most desirable dark, rich lilac shade. The wrong info originates from Suzy Menke's book which unfortunately full of mistakes on newer jewels.
My guess is that Diana's amethysts might have been a gift from an Arab ruler during the Wales' 1986 tour through 4 Arab countries, because the set did only appear after that - during the 1987 tour of Germany, I believe -, and it seems to be of modern design.
Matching all those cabochon amethzsts in color is quite an achievement, and I always loved the set - Diana wore the matching bracelet & earrings right until shortly before her death with a matching lilac Versace gown in Chicago.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Nobility

Would anyone happen to know the origin/history of this particular necklace? I've looked through all my books, but can find nothing among the Queen's jewels that resembles this, so am not sure if the Princess borrowed it from the Queen's collection, or if it belongs to the Spencer side, or if it was loaned to her by a jeweler. I don't believe she wore it more than once.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Courtier

velvet choker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Does anybody know how the get the bracelet to stick onto the velvet choker in the first picture?
I remember reading in one of the royalty magazines way back when - so I don't have the actual source of info; just my memory - that the bracelet was actually sewn onto the velvet fabric. I actually tried doing this with a bracelet and the thread went through the setting on the back of the bracelet so you can't see it over the bracelet. Hope that helps.

-ayvee
Old 02-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Commoner

I was under the impression that the earnings from the Duchy of Cornwall covered the Charle's and Diana's personal needs including their clothes? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Courtier

I believe that this is the Delhi Durbar Tiara. If I remember correctly she had this made when she went to India. I believe that she couldn't take the Crown Jewels out of the Country. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

You're correct, it was the Delhi Durbar tiara made for Queen Mary to attend the Durbar in 1911. I think King George's Crown of India was made because the Imperial State Crown wasn't allowed to leave the country; I'm not sure whether Queen Mary could have taken her coronation crown, but she had this tiara made to wear at the Durbar instead. It's the closest thing the royal family has to a crown among the tiaras worn by the royal ladies.

No, Diana never wore it. The only tiara she wore from the royal collection was the lovers' knot tiara. The Delhi Durbar tiara would have been too big for her; even with Camilla's big hair it's rather imposing.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy

Why did Diana only wear one tiara from the collection? Didn't she have access to all of the tiaras, or most of them if she wanted?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen gave her the lovers' knot tiara for a wedding present; she also wore the Spencer tiara. It's possible that as the years went on, the Queen might have given her other tiaras, but since the Wales marriage started getting shaky after a fairly short time, the Queen or her advisors might have thought that it would be safer not to hand over too many major pieces of royal jewellery.

It's also possible that wearing the Spencer tiara rather than a royal one for most occasions was Diana's way of letting the royals know that she was an outsider and an independent agent.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Gentry

Diana's Rings

I am trying to learn about the rings that Diana wore with her engagement and wedding ring. If you look closely at some of the pictures that were in the 80's (I think) she appears to have several other plain rings on her ring finger. Does anyone know about them? Sorry I don't have a close up pic.
Thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Nobility

She had a number of rings that she wore occassionally.

One was an emerald and diamond ring that Charles gave her for their first Christmas together, and she wore it in the family portraits that were taken by Tim Graham for William's first Christmas.
It's hard to find a clear picture of it, but it looks like a cabochon emerald set in a pointed gold band.

The silver band with channel set diamonds was one she wore as a single girl on her right hand, and then occassionally after her marriage and divorce on her left. It was a Spencer family ring, according to the Althorp House office.

Along with the square cut aquamarine, which she commissioned from Garrard the summer of 1997.

There was another ring-gold, with a sort of lattice design set with small diamonds, that she wore on her left hand watching Charles play polo (wearing the green and white striped coatdress). That ring was a gift from a Middle Eastern potentate, I believe, but Diana was only seen wearing it that one time, she later either sold it or gifted it to an unnamed person, and it was auctioned off on eBay after her death.

The other aquamarine ring in the picture above, I am not sure about. I don't recall Diana ever wearing it on any other occasion. It looks to be pear shaped. The diamond band is her Spencer ring.

She wasn't one for wearing different rings that often, so it's hard to say what she might have had in her collection.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlb825
Attachment 231794 I have never seen this ring before
I posted this picture on the Diana Princess of Wales Part II thread (post # 55)

According to the article I got the picture from, the ring is a saphire ring she received as a wedding present from the Crown Prince of Saudia Arabia. This is the only time that I recall Diana wearing this ring.:(
Old 03-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassie
She had a number of rings that she wore occassionally....
Thanks for the info Sassie, and the link to the site on reproductions of her rings. I have never seen a good close up picture of the diamond ring that is suposedly a Spencer family hierloom, so it was nice to see a close up of a reproduction.

As for the ring she wore at polo in 1985 when she is in the green & white striped coatdress, maybe someone can help us here. I believe that at that polo event, she was given the ring as a gift (from Garrards??) and she was forced to return it because I guess it was not appropriate to accept such a lavish gift. I'm not too sure about the details though.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Aristocracy

From Time magazine, July 15, 1985:
'As Britons sighed over their still astonishingly golden couple, someone did happen to notice a diamond ring given to Diana by Louis Gerard, a Paris jeweler who sponsored the polo benefit on behalf of Birthright, a charity for unborn children. After a press report describing the gift appeared on Diana's 24th birthday, a palace spokesman swiftly announced, "Given the fact that members of the royal family do not accept gifts of this nature, it has been agreed with the owner that it be auctioned for Birthright." Gerard insisted that the whole affair was much ado about almost nothing. Said he: "To us it is like giving a bouquet of flowers." To some of us, anyway.'
This was the ring she wore with the green and white striped dress.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Nobility

Diana's rings

I believe she also had a Russian wedding ring - 3 thin gold bands, from before her marriage. She wore it on her pinky, but then it seems as she lost weight as she got older she sometimes wore it on her wedding ring finger. I know there are good pictures of it at the events before the wedding, such as the polo game c. 7/24/81 when she cried a little and had to leave - as she is dabbing her eye you get a good view of the ring on her right hand. You can also see the simple diamond (?) band mentioned in another post. The photo is in R. Lacey's "Princess" at least .
Old 04-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Nobility

March 14, 1982 at a concert at the Albert Hall she is wearing what looks like a pearl and diamond ring on her left hand. She wore a red and gold thread gown and her black velvet cape.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Serene Highness

I am wondering about the circular diamonds in, I think, a platinum setting that she wore several times (one at the auction of her dresses along with an aquamarine ring). I first noticed her wearing it after her divorce. Does someone know that, that is the Spencer family heirloom? The Spencer ring that I am familiar with that she wore prior to her wedding was a sapphire and diamond "eternity" band.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
I am wondering about the circular diamonds in, I think, a platinum setting that she wore several times (one at the auction of her dresses along with an aquamarine ring). I first noticed her wearing it after her divorce. Does someone know that, that is the Spencer family heirloom? The Spencer ring that I am familiar with that she wore prior to her wedding was a sapphire and diamond "eternity" band.
Diana wore her "diamond" band before her wedding and on the britania pictures during the honeymoon (next to the star sapphire ring on her right hand). She then wore it also on her left hand next to her sapphire engagement ring and her gold wedding ring.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
Maybe it was because there was the understanding that Charles would inherit the jewels from the Queen Mother through an informal arrangement that was additional to her will which left everything to the Queen so that death duties were not applicable. IMTS, the Queen Mum had the Boucheron, the Strathmore Rose, the Diamond Scroll and heaven knows how many others we haven't seen in years! :)

Prince Charles as Prince of Wales and later as King would not only inherit the Jewels from the Queen Mother, but the new Queen will receive ALL Jewels wich were left to the Crown by Queen Victoria (William Brooch, Crown Necklace, Ruby Parure...)
So Di would have the choise over a lot of items....
Old 04-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Commoner

No, Diana never wore it. The only tiara she wore from the royal collection was the lovers' knot tiara. The Delhi Durbar tiara would have been too big for her; even with Camilla's big hair it's rather imposing.[/quote]

it's may because the dehli tiara was the property of Q Mary and went after her death to the queen mother, she only wore it 1947 in south africa.
PCharles inherit it with some other jewels wich the duchess wore (dehli tiara, boucheron tiara, emelad pendand brooch and the square cut emerald brooch)
Old 04-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles didn't inherit anything from the Queen Mother. All of her personal jewels were left to The Queen, who has given Camilla pieces for her use.

After The Queen's death, all of her jewels and the Crown Collection will belong to Charles as the new Sovereign. Camilla can then wear anything she wants as Queen Consort.

Closed Thread

Tags
diana, jewellery, princess diana, princess of wales