Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 1: November 2002-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More jewels

Attachments

• PkN1kMCoBQIAACrH0Gg_12904_1173.jpg
    PkN1kMCoBQIAACrH0Gg_12904_1173.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 450
  • PvpxC8CoBQIAAHAf5yg_12904_1.jpg
    PvpxC8CoBQIAAHAf5yg_12904_1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 707
  • PjOKYsCoBQIAACrdPDg_12904_176.jpg
    PjOKYsCoBQIAACrdPDg_12904_176.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 462
  • PjcnisCoBQIAACrQUao_12904_6.jpg
    PjcnisCoBQIAACrQUao_12904_6.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 595
  • PyiZlMCoBQIAAC0hm2U_12904_1772.jpg
    PyiZlMCoBQIAAC0hm2U_12904_1772.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Pj8m_cCoBQIAACq4jdI_12904_1051.jpg
    Pj8m_cCoBQIAACq4jdI_12904_1051.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • QBX8eMCoBQIAAAH7SsM_12904_2.jpg
    QBX8eMCoBQIAAAH7SsM_12904_2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 769
  • PjSK5MCoBQIAACrTPao_12904_418.jpg
    PjSK5MCoBQIAACrTPao_12904_418.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 719
Last edited by a moderator:
More jewels

Attachments

• PjnhJsCoBQIAACrUbQw_12904_8.jpg
    PjnhJsCoBQIAACrUbQw_12904_8.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 558
  • PjoF4MCoBQIAACq7Z8U_12904_921.jpg
    PjoF4MCoBQIAACq7Z8U_12904_921.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 635
    22.1 KB · Views: 489
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,255
    22.7 KB · Views: 528
  • Pj8m_cCoBQIAACq4jdI_12904_1.jpg
    Pj8m_cCoBQIAACq4jdI_12904_1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,061
  • PkN3IcCoBQIAACrMzP8_12904_1.jpg
    PkN3IcCoBQIAACrMzP8_12904_1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 606
  • PjRjm8CoBQIAACrcQe8_12904_263.jpg
    PjRjm8CoBQIAACrcQe8_12904_263.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 672
More jewels

Attachments

• Pje1TsCoBQIAACq7UOI_12904_743.jpg
    Pje1TsCoBQIAACq7UOI_12904_743.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,556
  • PjetA8CoBQIAACrZWes_12904_730.jpg
    PjetA8CoBQIAACrZWes_12904_730.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 562
  • PjRjm8CoBQIAACrcQe8_12904_2.jpg
    PjRjm8CoBQIAACrcQe8_12904_2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 601
  • PjNjOMCoBQIAACrNMGc_12904_162.jpg
    PjNjOMCoBQIAACrNMGc_12904_162.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 614
  • PjNZvcCoBQIAACrQLZk_12904_137.jpg
    PjNZvcCoBQIAACrQLZk_12904_137.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 883
  • PjYK3cCoBQIAACrYT_4_12904_484.jpg
    PjYK3cCoBQIAACrYT_4_12904_484.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 637
Originally posted by micas@Jan 27th, 2004 - 10:28 am
:lol:
This grupe of jewels belong to Queen Elizabet II.
I love these but I remember at the time (and have since read in Suzy Menkes' book, that they were borrowed from the jewelers Collingwood for the photo shoot, done in around April 1981. I don't know why she didn't borrow something from the Queen.

Originally posted by micas@Jan 27th, 2004 - 10:36 am
Diana wedding earrings belong to her or are a wedding gift? I don't remember saw her with them again after the wedding
These gorgeous earrings belong to her mother, Frances. They were the bride's "borrowed" item. There are photos of her mother wearing them at other occasions, like the royal christenings and I think even Diana's funeral.

Originally posted by micas@Jan 27th, 2004 - 10:26 am
:lol: Other choker
This three-strand choker she had as a teenager. This time she is wearing it with the clasp in back. Usually she wore it with the turquoise and pearl clasp in front. In July 1982 at a service in St. Paul's Cathedral it broke. After that she replaced the clasp with pearls only.

I love this, the epitome of the "Lady Di Look." :flower:

Yes, as she enters the Cathedral she is wearing it and when she is leaving she is not! Apparently it was embarassing, during the service, all of the pearls scattered on the floor! :blush: Poor Diana! This was during the Falkland War service, she wore a small black hat and royal blue and black patterned silk dress with a belt. It was her first public appearance since Williams' birth.

Originally posted by micas@Jan 29th, 2004 - 6:04 pm

This is the front of the choker, isn't it?
Yes, that's the 18th birthday choker.

Originally posted by Lady Jean@Feb 4th, 2004 - 1:31 pm
Maybe she borrowed this emerald necklace from a jeweler. I haven't seen it listed as part of the Queen's official collection, either. I am quite sure this state occasion was after the marriage separation was announced. That may have had some influence over her being allowed to borrow jewels from the Queen.

That emerald necklace is part of the Cambridge Suite which was inherited from Queen Mary's family. The queen gave Diana the two necklaces as a wedding gift. The other one was the one Diana wore as a headband.

wymanda said:
That emerald necklace is part of the Cambridge Suite which was inherited from Queen Mary's family. The queen gave Diana the two necklaces as a wedding gift. The other one was the one Diana wore as a headband.

According to Suzy Menkes, The Royal Jewels, 1989:
The Cambridge Emeralds "family jewels consisted of eight large cabochon emeralds set as a necklace , to which Queen Mary added an emerald drop and the marquise pendant of the Cullinan diamond given to Queen Alexandra by Edward Vll." [Queen Elizabeth wears this occasionally] "The rest of the suite was made up of emerald and diamond earrings , a brooch with pendant drop, a stomacher and two bracelets There were also some loose emeralds which Queen Mary later used as interchangeable drops for the diamond circle tiara she acquired fromt he Russian Grand Duchess Vladimir." The stomacher contains five oval emeralds of graduated size and one square shaped emerald and one drop emerald. (See in the current "Queen Mary of Teck" LTR photo thread, the post by gaoshan1021 on 12/23/03 at 7:46 pm).

Queen Elizabeth's other emerald necklaces are:
- The Godman necklace, which has one oval and square shaped stones in a delicate setting.
- A necklace which was a gift from the city of Victoria, British Columbia,of emeralds and diamonds in the shape of dogwood flowers. This has never been seen in public.

I also checked Leslie Field's book to verify this information.

Originally posted by Lady Jean@Feb 9th, 2004 - 9:08 am
A necklace which was a gift from the city of Victoria, British Columbia,of emeralds and diamonds in the shape of dogwood flowers. This has never been seen in public.
Perhaps the stones from this necklace were reset?

Then again Diana did have a penchant for costume jewellery, maybe this is a clever fake??

It has often been reported that one of Diana's favorite pairs of earrings--pearls--were purchased at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. Which ones are they? There are so many she wore.

BTW, they are no longer available. Too bad. Do any of the shops where she bought costume jewles still carry her favorites like Butler and Wilson's crescent moons and bow with heart earrings?

Mary Shawn

The Metropolitan Museum earrings were called the Venus earrings. They were faux pearl drops descended from a gold hoop. She wore them a lot from around 1990 - 1991. You can probably find them somewhere like EBay. The museum sold them for many years, so there must be many pairs out there.

The only pic I saw Diana, Princess of Wales using a sashe was the one from the State Visit of HM Queen Beatrix I of the Netherlands and HRH Prince Claus.
I never see a pic of Diana using a british sashe, because I think HM Queen Elizabeth II never condecorate her with one, so I would like to ask if someone could post some pics of Diana using sashes from other countries, for example during State Banquets she attended in London or abroad during several visits Prince Charles and her made.

Thanks in advance.

The late Diana, Princess of Wales received only one UK-decoration - the personal family Order of Queen Elizabeth. You can see this clearly in the picture in micas' post. It is a small picture of the Queen, in a diamond frame and with yellow band behind it. The Prinncess never received a real Order.

When Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands paid a state visit to the UK in 1982 she gave Diana a Dutch Order. I think this is the only order the Princes ever received.

Why? I have no idea. The Duke of York, Princess Royal, Earl of Wessex and Countess of Wessex also have very few Orders. It seems as though new rules does not "allow" them to accept Orders.

When Charles arrived to pick up his ex-wife's body, he was very aggitated about the fact only one of her favorite gold earrings had been found. The other was later found in the car. He also wanted her watch, a Jaeger lecoultre. What earrings were they? Did they have some sentimental value--and the watch, same question. Does anyone know?

But suddenly Diana-and you see this more in books on her--started wearing 3 or 4 dainty gold bracelets on her right hand. Were they gifts from Dr. Khan or someone? If you look at a good photographic journal of her, you will see them often starting in the late 80's early 90s. Just wondered what prompted it and if they had significance of a personal nature.

http://post-27-1055777223.jpg

OK, I give up. Go to Diana page and middle link to old sites by Josephine. The first site on images (there are three featured on top), go to page 7. It's midway down, she's wearing a gold dress leaning forward--and there are the bracelets.

Help with mystery bracelets....

In the late 80s and early 90s Princess Diana always wore her patek philippe gold watch from Charles and then started wearing 3 or 4 slim gold bracelets on her other wrist. She wore them whenever she was not wearing her "grand" jewelry but they are often hard to see. Does anyone have a photo closeup or know the significance of why she was so attached to them?

Thanks,

Mary Shawn

Perhaps she was very fond of Philippe Patek's watches.
Hem, hem, not Philippe Patek but Patek Philippe.

Patek Philippe is considered to be one of the top brands of wathces in the world. So it's no wonder that the Princess of Wales was fond of her watch.

But I would be thrilled to see a picture of both the watch and the bracelets mentioned above. Most of the pictures that I've seen don't show the details that close.

Maryshawn, I know she had a charm bracelet given to her by Prince Charles at the start of their marriage. He kept buying her new charms to add to it. I always though that was sweet.

I remember reading that she wore a watch, I can't remember the brand but it could be Pillipe Patek, early on and it was special to her as it was given to her by her father. Then she got a watch from Prince Charles. Is this the gold watch she is often seen wearing?

chanel said:
I have never seen this charm bracelet. Any photos?

You can see the gold watch and the charm bracelet in one pic and just the bracelet in the other.

Attachments

• AADS001924.jpg
    AADS001924.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 953
  • PY001822.jpg
    PY001822.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 936
Are these the articles in question? Picture of Diana from 1990. Bracelets and watch. Source unknown.

Mandy

Attachments

• 12904_1293.jpg
    12904_1293.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,013
  • 12904_1293a.JPG
    12904_1293a.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 3,768
I think the Queen was upset that she might have been wearing something with royal connections and wanted it all retrieved so no one else could get their hands on anything.

You're right Tiaraprin!!!

She even rushed to Margaret's apartments to get her jewels when she died :) :)

Why am I not surprised Sophie??

The Queen doesn't want anything getting into other's hands. I am sure though she could have trusted her niece and nephew to handle things???

royal_sophietje said:

Is that confirmed, or just another rumour?

royal_sophietje said:

I think that by the time Pncss Margaret died the royals had realised that Kensington Palace was not as secure as they had thought. Having just lost their mother Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah would not have been thinking of making sure her jewels were secured. Has anyone ever thought that they asked the Queen to have them taken to Buckingham Palace for safe keeping rather than risk some light fingered servant taking them! (Just my thoughts).

I read it in a book that the Queen is very very concerned about her jewels. What the reason was that she rushed to Margarets apartment to get her jewels herself, I don't know.

royal_sophietje said:
I read it in a book that the Queen is very very concerned about her jewels. What the reason was that she rushed to Margarets apartment to get her jewels herself, I don't know.
I seriously fail to believe that HM hightailed it from BP to KP to collect her sister's jewels!
I have wondered if they had maybe already been taken to Buckingham Palace before Princess Margaret died as she was in no condition to perform public engagements and was vulnerable to being exploited by dishonest people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom