Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 1: November 2002-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These ruby earrings were worn a lot from c. 1989 on. I believe it is the same pair with removable pearl and ruby/diamond drops.

Tim Graham, The Royal Year 1991

This two strand pearl choker wasn't worn too often. She wore it for the announcement of her pregnancy in November 1981 and here, at a service at St. Paul's Cathedral on July 26, 1982. It was said that it broke during the service. You can see in these pictures, her entering the Cathedral with the necklace on, and leaving without it. It was repaired, though. In the last photo she is wearing it in 1983.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/windsor-fan/apworldwidephotos1982POST.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/windsor-fan/1982726IMPROVED.jpg

Colour Library Books, Ltd. 'Diana, The Book of Fashion" by J.Owen

Last edited by a moderator:
Rare Pics

Thank you Lady Jean for these wonderful pics.
I check the forums regularly, but spend so much time just reading the new posts that I run out of time to do some searches and post myself.

Your pics are superb, an excellent detective work. I had never seen those saphire brooch on the white lace pics. And because my Diana books are not easily reachable after my move, I feel sometimes frustrated because I remember some of the doubts that are posted, but cannot verify them.

I know it must take a lot of your time just to look for the info.

It's amusing to do some of this detective work...

Lady Jean said:
Here is another occasion, February 2, 1982, pinned at the center of the lace.
Very sharp eyes you have, Lady Jean! I've seen these pictures numerous times, and never realized Diana was wearing her brooch. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Diana occasionally wore earrings from Chanel. I always loved the ones she wore in the picture on the right, but unfortunately they weren't seen frequently.

Photos: Hello magazine

[/URL]

Ooh Chanel. Definitely an upgrade from these, in my view! The photo on the right is just stunning by the way. Thanks.

Daily Mail Archives

Even though they looked like earrings that you or I could buy for a few dollars at a discount store, I always liked those round black earrings. And Diana obviously liked them too. She wore them countless times. They must surely be in the top 10 of her most frequently worn earrings.

Around 1989, she started to wear a similar pair of earrings. But these ones had rhinestones, or diamonds (or something??) at the bottom.

Photo: Lionel Cherruault

Dear Fellow Posters on this Thread,

I just wanted to share a website that I just finished:
http://www.dianasjewels.net

The simplicity of the website is due to a crash course in Microsoft Frontpage and my first attempt at creating a site. I hope you enjoy what I've created. I hope the keep the website going and building it with help from everyone but it could also get shut down by the web-photo police.

Best regards,

Ayvee

Ayvee do you have a picture you could post here or on your site of the gold certier tank francaise watch that Diana's dad gave her? I've only seen the small gold watch that Charles gave her for her birthday. :)

Ayvee,
I've just discovered another wearing of the "5-row pearl bracelet with emerald-cut aquamarine clasp" that you show on your wonderful website. Diana wore it to the premiere of "Superman IV" on July 23, 1987.

Photo: "The Royal Family at Home and Abroad," by Trevor Hall (photographers not individually credited)

This is of course the dress she wore to the Cannes Film Festival, and when I was looking for photos from film premieres for the "Diana at Film Premieres" thread, I noticed that this is how to differentiate between the occasions; she wore the same earrings, but different bracelets.

I went to your website to look up this bracelet, and was surprised to see that she'd worn it so often, even as early as 1982 to Carolyn Pride's wedding. You can also see the bracelet on a photo I posted on the "Film Premieres" thread (it's Post #33; sorry, I don't know how to link to it).

Feel free to use either of these photos on your website, if you like.

(Sorry the skin tone on this pic is so bad; that's the way it was in the book. But it's a great close-up of the bracelet, isn't it?)

Last edited:
Thanks for that picture, umbrellagirl. That is a beautiful bracelet, but I notice in that picture, she's not wearing a wedding band/ring. I see her engagement ring, but that's it. If that picture was taken in 1987, she would have been married for 6 years by then. Does anyone know why she wasn't wearing it?

Her wedding band was in the same finger as her engagement ring. I think you can almost make it out in the photo. She wore her wedding band first then her sapphire engagement ring after.

Umbrellagirl, thank you so much for this photo. I will definitely put it on my website. I appreciate the help. Also, I tested out the e-mail on that site and it seems to be working fine.

I didn't know she wore this gown for a third time - Cannes, Miss Saigon premiere and now, Superman IV. This is one of my favorite gowns (which I have had copied for a big formal family reunion). Thanks for sharing this picture with us.

Best regards,

Ayvee

This blue gown is one of my very favorites, too. I checked the third occasion Diana wore it -- to the musical "Miss Saigon" on Sep. 19, 1989 -- and look: different bracelets yet again!

Photo: Hello magazine

That's a 3-row pearl bracelet, on the left wrist this time, and what appears to be a simple gold bangle on the right.

The Prince of Wales feather pendant (lower right), originally a gift to Princess Alexandra of Denmark in 1863 , as Edward VII's bride, from the Ladies of Bristol. According to Suzy Menke's "Royal Jewels", the Queen Mother gave this to Diana as an engagement gift.

[Click on image for larger view]
Photo: "Collection of the author," Suzy Menkes, "Royal Jewels"

Diana wearing it in 1986. She usually wore it without the emerald drop. I don't know when or why the small triangular detail above the oval was removed.

Photo: JS Library, on "Making of a Queen" by L.Doeser

I think that this is the same one that Diana wore in the very first pictures of William. I really do love the necklace, but did not know anything about it. Thanks for the history and pictures. Does anyone have any more pictures of Diana wearing it?

msleiman -
The one with William is seed pearls, yellow gold beads/spacers, and diamonds, and is a contemporary piece.
[click to enlarge]
Photo: from "Born to be King" Colour Library Intnl'l, Ltd., no indiv. credit

Last edited:
Did Charles give Diana that neckalace or did she buy it?

According to Suzy Menkes' book, Diana bought the necklace herself.

Lady Jean said:
According to Suzy Menkes' book, Diana bought the necklace herself.

I wouldn't be too sure that Menkes facts are wholley correct. There have been a number of instances where information in her book has been proven to be false.

As has been stated many times, Camilla does not possess any jewels that were worn by Diana. All of her royal jewels are gifts from The Queen Mother's collection by The Queen or were purchased over the years by Prince Charles.

Diana's jewels were all retained by her after the divorce and the royal pieces are in safekeeping for when William marries. The rest of her jewels belong to William and Harry for their future wives.

it's a copy?
I do not understand the sense of that
is a copy of a old royal jewel used in the past for all the princesses of wales since alexandra?

Several of the royal jewels exist in more than one copy. The Queen has a diamond and pearl necklace which is very similar to one owned by Princess Alexandra, and I think there are a couple of copies of the Prince Albert sapphire and diamond brooch as well as the original.

Diana in the early 90s (Does anyone know the date of this engagement?). It looks like she is wearing black pearl studs, but I'm not sure. She didn't wear these earrings too often.

Photo: New Idea (no photographer credited)

Those are real dark grey pearls indeed. I believe they came with Prince Charles' present to his wife of a single strand of dark grey & white pearls which Princess Diana hasn't worn frequently either. According to Leslie Field, the designer of the set was Leo de Vroomen, around 1985.

Thank you for the correction, Squidgy - you're absolutely right! Your link shows the necklace I mentioned, but the earrings to go with it are indeed a different pair - one white, one dark grey plus a diamond - quite charming. I still think the earrings in post # 169 are real black pearls, BTW - whenever Princess Diana wore costume jewelry, especially in later years, the pieces were mostly larger and therefore deliberately detectable as 'just being for fun'.

Diana said she liked costume jewelry and often mixed them with her real pieces, so it's not that unusual if it was a fake.

Lady Jean said:
I think it's only a headpiece / headband made of cloth to match the gown. Beautiful pictures, though.
I think she wrapped a string of pearls around the satin headband that matched the gown.

wymanda said:
I wouldn't be too sure that Menkes facts are wholley correct. There have been a number of instances where information in her book has been proven to be false.
I prefer to cite a published source if I can in my posts. I have no loyalty to Menkes.
I just remember in 1982 everybody assumed Charles gave her the necklace in July for her birthday, their first anniversary, or the birth of William, and for some reason later the story came out (where or by whom the first time?) that actually Diana bought it on her own through Collingwood.
If there is any new info on this necklace I would welcome hearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom