Crown Princess Victoria Jewellery 2: June 2005-December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Josefine of Leuchtenberg brought the cut steel tiara to Sweden? May I know what your source is?

Actually, the provenance of the cut steel tiara was never explained after Queen Silvia re-discovered the lost piece by accident in the Palace in 1979.
But this year, the Nobel press release from the Palace says that it belonged to Queen Hortense of Holland, born de Beauharnais, Empress Joséphine of France's daughter from her first marriage.
I wonder whether this is true or if the Court made (yet another...) mistake by confusing it with the cameo tiara. The cameo tiara, as it was discovered only this year by a member of the RJWMB, was indeed worn by Queen Hortense, who is shown with it in a miniature painting.
The RJWMB member subsequently informed the Queen's staff at the Palace, who replied that they were very thankful because the info was new to them.
Here is the link to the press release: Kungen delade ut 2010-års Nobelpris - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
At CP Victoria's wedding the court also made a blunder when they mentioned the wrong tiaras for Princess Madeleine and Princess Margretha. Back than they quickly corrected the info on their website. Maybe we should keep an eye on this press release as well.
If it really belonged to Queen Hortense, than I'm dying to know how they found out. Maybe more research on portraits of her has been done?

No tiara for victoria tonight but the pearl, diamond and ruby brosch from queen josefina

Thank you marika, this necklace has worn by many ladies in the family,
victoria, madeleine, silvia, christina, lilian and a few more

The Swedish royal family has some of the most beautiful jewels I have ever seen!

This pic shows the Queen Josephine's pearl and ruby brooch in Victoria's hair: http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/45612/2890320700105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
I looks nice, imo. Only the combination of ruby hair ornament with sapphire necklace isn't too happy.
The one thing I don't like is the lowering of their jewellery-standards: If this were a black tie event, I'd be very happy to see CP with a nice brooch in her hair. But for a black tie dinner she rather should wear a tiara, imo.

I know what you mean Tilla, first Daisy's birthday bash and now this. I don't like this trend. But there is talk an another site that perhaps something went wrong with the tiara. Her hair is styled for a tiara and you can notice a bump where a tiara would go. The Baden Fringe would have made this look!

Oh and I forgot to drool over the Cut Steel tiara. Victoria needs to channel Empress Josephine more often because I thought she was a 10 that night!

Last edited:
Thank you Josefine, but 'Svensk Dam Tidning' simply copied the text from the Royal Court's release about Nobel day - see the top of this page.
(SDT seems to constantly copy everything and everyone... particularly their fashion blogger Lotta, and particularly from this Forum here. :whistling:)

"sparkle of diamonds and gold" svensk dam says
but the court states there is n o diamonds or gold in this tiara
not the best research

No, the cut steel tiara is indeed made of, well, cut steel... set in gilded brass, so at least the 'golden sparkle' would be correct.
I still would love to know whether the connection to Queen Hortense of Holland is a mistake, or the result of new research; Göran Alm says nothing about it in his book about the Bernadotte jewels.

I know what you mean Tilla, first Daisy's birthday bash and now this. I don't like this trend. But there is talk an another site that perhaps something went wrong with the tiara. Her hair is styled for a tiara and you can notice a bump where a tiara would go. The Baden Fringe would have made this look!

Oh and I forgot to drool over the Cut Steel tiara. Victoria needs to channel Empress Josephine more often because I thought she was a 10 that night!
I don't want to be fuzzy, Princejohnny25, but Tilla is another poster on this forums:flowers:
I agree so much about the cut steel tiara. Imo this is now the 2nd time she got it completely right with this tiara, the first time being last year's Nobel dinner!
But I'm not convinced about the theory that something happened to the tiara before yesterday's dinner. To me the hairstyle looks like it was exactly created for this brooch. And the no-tiara-wearing seems to be a continuation of the last two years tiara policy for this event: in 2008 Victoria wore a diamond necklace, Madeleine wore the Rose brooch; 2009 Madeleine wore the diamond necklace; 2010 Victoria wears the pearl and ruby brooch. This clearly looks like it was all planned. Sigh:bang:

the pearl bracelets she wore december 10th is it the same as madeleine wore with the red one sholder dress at nobel?
is there a diamond clasp on it?

I really loved the cut steel tiara on Victoria this year! The hairstyle was just perfect to complement it, a timeless regal appearance, IMO.

will this be blacktie event?
december 20th
Attendance at the Swedish Academy's formal gathering, the Stock Exchange, Stockholm

i also wondering if she will take part of the estonien state visit, her name is not in the calender but sometimes they do not wright the name but they will attend the dinner or lunch

No, the cut steel tiara is indeed made of, well, cut steel... set in gilded brass, so at least the 'golden sparkle' would be correct.
I still would love to know whether the connection to Queen Hortense of Holland is a mistake, or the result of new research; Göran Alm says nothing about it in his book about the Bernadotte jewels.

Boris i took a look in the book last night and i find a text about this in the book, silvias festklänningar och smycken
i do not have the book with me now, but i can tell you the page when i come home. its were there are a photo of the cut steel tiara on the left side page

You're correct, Josefine - thank you! Alm mentions the connection to Queen Horstense in the book.

If I translate Alm correctly, he states it as a fact, and the Royal Court also included it in their Nobel press release, so I guess the cut steel tiara belonged to Queen Hortense of Holland, Empress Joséphine's daughter.
The problem with Alm is that he doesn't produce any evidence or sources.
Since the cameo tiara was also worn by Queen Hortense, both the cut steel and the cameo tiara could go back to her.
It's a bit odd though that both tiaras should have ended up with her niece, Queen Josefina of Sweden, and it would be great to know how and why.
(And also, to know how it was possible that the tiara got 'lost' and was only re-discovered by Queen Silvia by coincidence in the late 1970s).

who told about silvia re-discovered the tiara, she her self?magazines?
when was cut steel popolur does it work with the timeline of Queen Hortense of Holland?

Last edited by a moderator:
who told about silvia re-discovered the tiara, she her self?magazines?
Queen Silvia herself, in an interview in the 1980s, and about the same time court jeweler Bolin as well in SDT magazine, if I remember correctly.
when was cut steel popolur does it work with the timeline of Queen Hortense of Holland?
Of course it does... no doubt that it's Napoleonic, and that steel cut as delicately as this was a fashionable novelty back then (as you know as well, Josefine...).
I just wish that something was known about how exactly pieces belonging to Queen Hortense did wind up with the Bernadottes.

According to Munn "This relatively modest but nevertheless interesting material was used in jewellery design from the second half of the eighteenth century until about 1900" (p. 28)
But what I find really intriguing is how they found out about the connection to Queen Hortense when the parure was only re-discovered after lying forgotten in a drawer.

Queen Silvia herself, in an interview in the 1980s, and about the same time court jeweler Bolin as well in SDT magazine, if I remember correctly.Of course it does... no doubt that it's Napoleonic, and that steel cut as delicately as this was a fashionable novelty back then (as you know as well, Josefine...).
I just wish that something was known about how exactly pieces belonging to Queen Hortense did wind up with the Bernadottes.

my thoughts are why there are not more cut steel jewllery in other royal houses wich are used and
but then again the swedes are alone with still using a big jewllery of caméos.
i know it has been said before that cut steel was popular but i my self is not sure during what timeline.

and if there are other "famous" cut steel jewllery

i am with you that it is a strange story that one know about the history of a "lost" tiara. there is no paintings so one should have some text on the subject, a will maybe , one i mean göran alm

:previous:
I think our post have crossed and you didn't read my post above before posting yours. I remember reading in Munn's book that cut steel jewellery was very popular at first. When the technique of working steel like this was very new and only few jewellers were able to do this, these pieces were quite valuable and sought after. But as the craft became more widespread the material became affordable and was not considered very precious anymore. As this jewellery had no material value and nobody deemed it's historic value important, many people just threw it away. (Unfortunately I didn't find this passage again, so I can't quote it properly).

I have seen pictures of other cut steel jewellery, there is a tiara in Munn's book and I also saw pictures on the sites of auction houses. But I guess the Swedish parure is the only one left in an important family. I think it was only "lost" in that drawer, because a previous owner considered it worthless and forgot about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do an internet search for images of cut-steel jewelry there are many photos online. But it is interesting to be able to see really up close. Some, I assume, are of better quality with more defined "facets". Some are tarnished and make me think about the condition of the Swedish tiara when it was first found.

There are all sorts of brooches, necklaces, earrings, etc. But the ones I found most interesting were clips to go on shoes. I think those would be a nice addition to the Swedish collection...polish them up really well and have sparkle from head to toe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom