The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
No, the cut steel tiara is indeed made of, well, cut steel... set in gilded brass, so at least the 'golden sparkle' would be correct.
I still would love to know whether the connection to Queen Hortense of Holland is a mistake, or the result of new research; Göran Alm says nothing about it in his book about the Bernadotte jewels.
Boris i took a look in the book last night and i find a text about this in the book, silvias festklänningar och smycken
i do not have the book with me now, but i can tell you the page when i come home. its were there are a photo of the cut steel tiara on the left side page

Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

You're correct, Josefine - thank you! Alm mentions the connection to Queen Horstense in the book.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
You're correct, Josefine - thank you! Alm mentions the connection to Queen Horstense in the book.
what do you think about could it be true? or are you not sold on ide?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

If I translate Alm correctly, he states it as a fact, and the Royal Court also included it in their Nobel press release, so I guess the cut steel tiara belonged to Queen Hortense of Holland, Empress Joséphine's daughter.
The problem with Alm is that he doesn't produce any evidence or sources.
Since the cameo tiara was also worn by Queen Hortense, both the cut steel and the cameo tiara could go back to her.
It's a bit odd though that both tiaras should have ended up with her niece, Queen Josefina of Sweden, and it would be great to know how and why.
(And also, to know how it was possible that the tiara got 'lost' and was only re-discovered by Queen Silvia by coincidence in the late 1970s).
Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Majesty

who told about silvia re-discovered the tiara, she her self?magazines?
when was cut steel popolur does it work with the timeline of Queen Hortense of Holland?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
who told about silvia re-discovered the tiara, she her self?magazines?
Queen Silvia herself, in an interview in the 1980s, and about the same time court jeweler Bolin as well in SDT magazine, if I remember correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
when was cut steel popolur does it work with the timeline of Queen Hortense of Holland?
Of course it does... no doubt that it's Napoleonic, and that steel cut as delicately as this was a fashionable novelty back then (as you know as well, Josefine...).
I just wish that something was known about how exactly pieces belonging to Queen Hortense did wind up with the Bernadottes.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

According to Munn "This relatively modest but nevertheless interesting material was used in jewellery design from the second half of the eighteenth century until about 1900" (p. 28)
But what I find really intriguing is how they found out about the connection to Queen Hortense when the parure was only re-discovered after lying forgotten in a drawer.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Queen Silvia herself, in an interview in the 1980s, and about the same time court jeweler Bolin as well in SDT magazine, if I remember correctly.Of course it does... no doubt that it's Napoleonic, and that steel cut as delicately as this was a fashionable novelty back then (as you know as well, Josefine...).
I just wish that something was known about how exactly pieces belonging to Queen Hortense did wind up with the Bernadottes.
my thoughts are why there are not more cut steel jewllery in other royal houses wich are used and
but then again the swedes are alone with still using a big jewllery of caméos.
i know it has been said before that cut steel was popular but i my self is not sure during what timeline.

and if there are other "famous" cut steel jewllery

i am with you that it is a strange story that one know about the history of a "lost" tiara. there is no paintings so one should have some text on the subject, a will maybe , one i mean göran alm
Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

I think our post have crossed and you didn't read my post above before posting yours. I remember reading in Munn's book that cut steel jewellery was very popular at first. When the technique of working steel like this was very new and only few jewellers were able to do this, these pieces were quite valuable and sought after. But as the craft became more widespread the material became affordable and was not considered very precious anymore. As this jewellery had no material value and nobody deemed it's historic value important, many people just threw it away. (Unfortunately I didn't find this passage again, so I can't quote it properly).

I have seen pictures of other cut steel jewellery, there is a tiara in Munn's book and I also saw pictures on the sites of auction houses. But I guess the Swedish parure is the only one left in an important family. I think it was only "lost" in that drawer, because a previous owner considered it worthless and forgot about it.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Nobility

If you do an internet search for images of cut-steel jewelry there are many photos online. But it is interesting to be able to see really up close. Some, I assume, are of better quality with more defined "facets". Some are tarnished and make me think about the condition of the Swedish tiara when it was first found.

There are all sorts of brooches, necklaces, earrings, etc. But the ones I found most interesting were clips to go on shoes. I think those would be a nice addition to the Swedish collection...polish them up really well and have sparkle from head to toe!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1205/79201045.jpg

Victoria looked lovely in the steel cut taira.
This tiara looks so odd to me. I always disliked the combination of silver or white gold and yellow gold in the same jewel anyway...
Old 12-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
This tiara looks so odd to me. I always disliked the combination of silver or white gold and yellow gold in the same jewel anyway...
There is no combination 'of silver or white gold and yellow gold' in the tiara.
The Napoleonic cut steel tiara is made of (surprise:) cut steel, very delicately cut in flower and ears of wheat motifs, highly polished and set in gilded brass.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
the cut s
the tiara growns on me, i do like it a lot, i would love to se the rest of the set up close.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

I think the cut steel tiara looked strange on Princess Christina, ok on Queen Silvia and simply stunning on CP Victoria. In one of the articles about the last Nobel awards I read that it is Victoria's favourite. She would like to wear it more often, but only used it scarcely because the old tiara is very delicate. Unfortunately I don't find the article anymore, but maybe someone else rembembers it? I wonder how much truth there is behind this story. After all the tiara has also been worn by Princess Christina from time to time. So I can't be that delicate.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There is no combination 'of silver or white gold and yellow gold' in the tiara.
The Napoleonic cut steel tiara is made of (surprise:) cut steel, very delicately cut in flower and ears of wheat motifs, highly polished and set in gilded brass.
I am surprised indeed. Who would have thought of that?
Still, the colour combination remains the same - I'm sure you understand how I mean it - which leaves me indifferent. It's not the ugliest tiara I've seen though.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm definitely in the 'pro' camp here - IMO the tiara is lovely and the one which suits CP Victoria best, along with the Baden Fringe.
Interestingly, the immense glitter of the piece doesn't come across very well in photos, but in TV footage it does - it makes quite a difference.

Queen Silvia also wears the tiara well IMO; here's a pic from over 20 years ago from a state visit to Iceland (with the colors coming out too cold, unfortunately), when the Queen wore the tiara with the matching earrings and the choker in cut steel.
Silvia wore the matching jewels from the set only very rarely, and CP Victoria never, so far:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7241/cutsteel9.jpg
Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I rather adore the Cut Steel tiara on Victoria, I think it was made for her! It just glows with her hair colour, skin tone, and brown eyes. I wish she would start to wear the earrings as well. I'm not to keen on the choker though. Q.Silv managed to pull it off but it feel it wouldn't work on our Victoria.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Majesty

i am guessing this brosch is fake, but i have to ask if someone knows something else
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4456/sp13366b.jpg
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Serene Highness

I found a video from this years Nobel with a beautiful close up of the cut steel tiara, that thing really sparkles! About halfway through they also show the back of it.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

I loved seeing the steel cut tira "live" in the above video- would like to know how exactly something like this masterpiece was made- the craftsmanship is amazing!

Tags
crown princess victoria, jewellery, princess victoria, victoria