Crown Princess Victoria Jewellery 2: June 2005-December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOVE the Fringe tiara and the earings!

Together those two would seem too much but not on Victoria!

Over on the fashion thread Kellydofc alluded to the Karl Johan tiara having "additions":
. . . . The whole look works, the color, the sequins, the sapphires, even the tiara with the diamond additions.
I queried the "addition":

She added diamonds to the tiara. It helps hide the base of the tiara and I think makes it look much nicer.

http://suomenkuvalehti.fi/s/mediagallery/2011/12/10/728461/wj102148v.jpg

I was pretty sure that nothing had changed and invited Kellydofc over here to talk about it. However, over here I find jemagre questioning the same thing.
Is the diamond rows added to the tiara part of the tiara she wore to last year's Nobel prize with the white dress?

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Victoria's Tiaras
Now I find myself wondering if in fact these two astute members have spotted something new. Others have noted how it "out sparkled" Silvia's nine-pronged tiara . . . . could this be the reason? Has Crown Princess Victoria "upped the ante" and "enhanced" the Karl Johan Tiara?

I was pretty sure that nothing had changed and invited Kellydofc over here to talk about it. However, over here I find jemagre questioning the same thing.
Yes, of course they are correct, the tiara has been slightly altered: The third diamond row on the bottom, covering the velvet base, was added for the occasion.
Most likely not a permanent addition, but one of the diamond collet necklaces from the Bernadotte collection pinned or sewn to the base. The different setting of the stones is quite obvious. On the Royal Court's website, they label it 'extra row of diamonds'.
Certainly a glittering addition, but IMO not saving this unfortunate piece. Three rows as seen now, with the center one being the shortest, look rather odd. And the even number of rosettes on ugly stilts with horizontal diamond lines below is just an unappealing design idea to begin with.
As the current tiara is only from the late 1970s / early 80s, no historic concerns should prevent the antique rosettes from being re-set in a better way one day, I'd say.

The earings got a description name now
epålett örhängen/Epaulette earings

is a type of ornamental shoulder piece or decoration used as insignia of rank by armed forces and other organizations.
Kungens middag för Nobelpristagarna - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Kronprinsessan hade en silverfärgad klänning med paljett- och pärlbrodyr. Till denna bar Kronprinsessan Stråldiademet och epålett-örhängen. Kronprinsessan bar Serafimerordens ljusblå band, ordenstecken och kraschan samt Luxemburgska kraschan.

It's great that they confirm that the earrings were épaulettes/shoulder pieces of a gala uniform originally, but:
This would have been a great opportunity for the Court to finally mention the original owner and precisely date these pieces... what a pity that they did not.

In their text, they are still calling the Connaught tiara of Crown Princess Margaret 'Sibylla's tiara', and in the description of Queen Silvia's jewelry at the Nobel ceremony, they mis-identified her earrings as the 'Vasa earrings' - wrong, she actually wore the Carl Johan diamond earrings.
Makes you wonder not for the first time how reliable their info is in general.

Yes, of course they are correct, the tiara has been slightly altered...
Looking at close-ups of the tiara, the 3rd diamond row doesn't look like a permanent addition, imo. It is slight lightly uneven, not as straight as the two original lines, which indicates that it's just a riviere added for the evening.
You are quite right about the even number of rosettes looking unappealing. I can't think of any other tiara (apart from the 4-buttons tiara), which has an even number of of elements. For a successful design it seems to be necessary to have one central element.
I think that a base similar to the Dutch pearl-button tiara might be quite successful for the good old rosettes. But since Victoria wears the 6-buttons so often, she doesn't seem to mind the current setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the Swedish Royal Ladies ought to get an award for best tiara hair- its like artwork on them~ Who does these elaborate hair designs for the tirars? Just think what they could do for the Dutchess of Cambridge?! I liked the height on CP Victoria's 6 button tiara, but maybe she is getting too mature for this tiara, seems a little juvenile to me. However the sapphires (brooch & earrings) were stunning! OMG, what color- amazing!

I'm always in raptures at Swedish tiara events; not only do you see those bejeweled beauties being worn, but they're always displayed on a nest of the best tiara hair I've seen in Europe. They have the philosophy down right: a phenomenal tiara should be nestled on a phenomenal hairstyle to show it off to perfection. I'm not a fan of the Nine-Prong or Six-Button tiaras that were worn at this event, but seeing them on the fantastic hair of Silvia and Victoria was amazing. The Swedish hairdressers are certainly masters of their art and really deserve commendation for their work.

Last edited:
Does anyone have close up of victorias earings from last night?

Last edited:
thank you i beleiev we have seen the earings before but never in HQ photo

You can tell by the amount of appearances that the Fringe is Victoria's favorite tiara. I definitely favor it above the others.

i am not sure the hair ornment is "jewllery" i mean with stones of value

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly disliked the cameo set...until I saw Crown Princess Victoria on her wedding day. Now I like it...on her!

Victoria looked perfect in the Cameo Jewels on her wedding day,IMO!

They were okay... but imo they would have looked better as white gold or platinum. Though I'm bias... I personally can't stand yellow gold.

I like her cut steel tiara though. Very unique and pretty!

:previous: The gold gives colour and depth to the Cameos. White gold or platinum would have drained the colour from the cameos and made the whole thing look icy cold. Brunettes like Silvia and Victoria would not have looked good in it at all. It would look like a large grayish/white gateau cake!

Perhaps Madeleine in her bleach blond phase would have had the right colouring but I am thinking not!

I still don't agree with you... look at the Scroll Tiara that the Duchess of Cambridge wore. It was not yellow gold and it went beautifully with her dark brown hair. Granted it was'nt as large as Victoria's, still. Imo it looked a lot better. *Shrugs*

sweden got two very uniq items in the voults the cameo tiara/set and the cut steel set
i do not think we have seen any other royals weraings these kind of items in the present day

I still don't agree with you... look at the Scroll Tiara that the Duchess of Cambridge wore. It was not yellow gold and it went beautifully with her dark brown hair. Granted it was'nt as large as Victoria's, still. Imo it looked a lot better. *Shrugs*

Most of the effect of tiaras is from the glitter; ie the diamonds. The cameos and pearls while beautiful, create rather an insipid display - see the necklace. However the gold gives the piece body and depth, which a white metal would not.

The halo scroll tiara is an outstanding piece of craftmanship, as is the cameo tiara, but really there can be no comparison between the two.

The Baden fringed tiara is beautiful and I've mostly seen crown princess Victoria in it and it suits her abd strangely it looks like the George III tiara.

I think the bottom tiara should have stayed real buttons, never bee one of my favorite, sorry to say!

I wonder if it would look better if the six-button and four-button tiaras were merged into one piece.

I love the Cameo tiara.I wonder when is the next time she will wear it.Most likely when she is queen.

If not for the Cameo she would probably wear the Baden Fringe tiara on her wedding day.I think the Fringe tiara is a great wedding tiara.Or the Connaught.

Last edited:
:previous: True, the Fringe is beautiful and Victoria wears it with panache. But the Cameo she wore for her wedding was truly regal. It suited her colouring so well and she really does have the carriage of a Queen. Unfortunately I do not think we will see her in the Cameo again until she is the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom