The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

The six rosettes / 'button' tiara was far better positioned in CP Victoria's hairdo at the Nobel Awards 2007; it sat too high with the ugly base showing too much this year.
I'm not certain if the combination with part of the amethyst parure was a good match.
Victoria wore the smaller one of the two brooches this parure has, probably because the shoulder ruffles would have fought too much with the large brooch, and she left off the central pendant of the necklace - although her shape of décolleté would have been ideal for it. IMHO, the necklace has a decidedly unfinished feel to it without its pendant.

(Belonging to the different respective thread about this topic, but anyway:
With its strong color and historic symbolism of half-mourning, CP Victoria is certainly not going to choose the amethyst tiara as her wedding tiara. I think it did not look good on her anyway most of the times she wore it - the circlet is difficult to place right.)

Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Royal Highness

At least the ugly base is now covered in dark brown velvet. The look was much worse with the light grey velvet it used to have. It is a general problem that Victorias hairdos usually don't cover the base of the tiaras. There are few tiaras around that look nice with the hair pulled back straight. The hair should be a bit puffed up in the front so that the tiara can sink in. And for the amethyst tiara the hair would need some volume all around, because it is a fairly wide circle. Imo it would look better on Victoria if the circlet would be slightly narrower.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Royal Highness

I'm glad that CP didn't choose amethyst tiara. For me it could be too much purple. Six bottoms tiara (not my favorite to be honest) looks really good. But I'm absolutely impressive by the amethyst necklace, earrings and the small brooch and I'm waiting for tonight gala...
Old 12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Princess Victoria with a Diamond bandeau
http://i47.tinypic.com/ztdkky.jpg
source: Svensk Dam
I love this Bandeau, has it been worn as a necklace ever?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with Boris, the Amethyst necklace looked unfinished without the pendant drop attached to it. Crown Princess Victoria's Dress was ideal for a V-Shaped Necklace, but she edited it out to a fault, IMO. The Amethyst set seems to have some gold setting to it, and there lies the problem with the set being worn with the Button tiara wich is set in silver metal.

However, I really liked the 6 button tiara itself tonight, and think it's never looked better on Victoria. I liked the softness of her hair, and the high placement. The earrings were perfect for her tonight. I thought Victoria looked more "Queenly" than the Queen herself.

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Royal Highness

Last night Victoria wore the cut-steel tiara at the gala dinner and she looked stunning, imo. The colour and detailing on her light brown dress were perfectly hamonizing with the tiara, completing an empire-inspired look. I somehow missed a neckless, but am not sure which one would have been right for this outfit.
http://svenskdam.se/wp-content/galle...victoria-1.jpg
Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

The cut steel tiara is part of a parure with matching earrings and choker necklace, so this Napoleonic set would have been a good choice to wear with the Empire style dress.
The necklace is rather cumbersome though and, in contrast to the tiara, not that beautiful; in all these years, Queen Silvia has worn the complete parure only twice. Still, I hope we will see the whole set worn again one day.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

The steel cut tiara was perfect for Crown Princess Victoria's dress, which had a real Napoleonic feel to it. I too would love to see the entie parure worn. It seems as if the Queen is the only one in the family confident enough to carry it off.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Royal Highness

Whole look is perfect, indeed 'empire style'. I would like to see a necklace, but maybe it will be 'too much'..
Old 12-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Royal Highness

I would like to see a photo of the choker to make my decision if it was wrong not to wear it. The dress has a lot of detail and maybe the earrings and tiara were enough. Does anyone have a photo of the choker? I think the tiara is beautiful. Is there a story to the whole grouping of these jewels?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I would like to see a photo of the choker to make my decision if it was wrong not to wear it. The dress has a lot of detail and maybe the earrings and tiara were enough. Does anyone have a photo of the choker? I think the tiara is beautiful. Is there a story to the whole grouping of these jewels?
Oh yes, there is quite some story connected to this set... already posted frequently here, but why not repeat it.
Originally Napoleonic and probably belonging to Queen Josefina (Empress Joséphine's granddaughter), it was considered to be lost, until Queen Silvia found it by sheer accident in some remote cupboard at Stockholm Palace.
There is actually no pictorial record of any Swedish Queen wearing it before, so it might have been mislaid or forgotten.
That was after all a blessing, because in the second half of the 19th century, cut steel lost its novelty value, became unfashionable and much cheaper, which led to most cut steel jewelry pieces being broken up or re-set.
Queen Silvia had the set restored after her lucky find, and wore the tiara for the first time in 1979.
Below, she's wearing the complete set (tiara, choker necklace, and earrings) in 2007 - unfortunately the colors come out too blue-ish here, they should be much warmer, but it's the closest pic I could find.

The complete cut steel set with choker, earrings and tiara, worn by Queen Silvia in 2007:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5752/07011817.jpg

Close up (in bad colors):
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6008/07011801.jpg
Old 12-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for posting pictures of the complete parure. Actually, I'm quite glad that Victoria didn't wear this choker necklace. Compared with the tiara it apears chunky and lacks detailing and lustre. But the earrings might have been nice, even if they also lack a certain lustre (at least in these pictures). The diamond earrings looked somehow odd with the rest of her outfit, as they didn't repeat the warm golden tone which connected tiara and dress.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

What does not come across in pictures is the enormous sparkle of the cut steel tiara (and the choker, I assume), because instead of catching the light like diamonds, the highly polished, tiny steel facets reflect the light.
But in the TV footage of Princess Christina wearing the tiara for this year’s Nobel ceremony, you could see how much it glitters with the slightest movement in real life.

Anyway, CP Victoria does not seem to like chokers at all – I don’t think I have ever seen her wearing one.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Royal Highness

The same happens with diamonds and other stones: the sparkle only really comes across when seen in movement. When seeing the footage from the awards ceremony and dinner, I was stunned by the sparkle of the diamonds, especially of the six button tiara. It looked so much better in movement. But on the photos of the cut steel parure there seems to be much more light reflecting from the tiara than from the choker and earrings. The tiara clearly is the "star" of the parure.
As for chokers: personally I hate to wear them (ok, I never had the chance to wear a diamond version), but the make me feel like choking, nomen est omen. Not everyone feels comfortable with them.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Heir Apparent

02-02-2010
Photo - Too much jewelleries, but they're very nice.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

You're quite right TD, but I love her pearls! The bracelets look nice as well.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Love the pearl earrings, not sure about the necklace.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

The 'pearl' earrings & necklace set is costume jewelry, of which CP Victoria has been wearing far too much recently; her stylist probably likes fake jewels.
The bold masculine bracelet is not my taste but is also worn by Daniel Westling, so it has a sentimental meaning. The other trinket bracelets hopefully have one as well, because it would explain why she wears them at all - they don't match anything and look more like something a little girl might like.
I continue to find it regrettable that CP Victoria hardly ever wears some nice, own and real pieces of jewelry for daywear.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Majesty

the green earings she wore at one of the engaments reception do you think they were real emeralds.
and the small earings at the engagment were they real?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Majesty

victoria wore the 4 botton tiara tonight at the gala in denmark

there are also new official photos
she used no tiara but a brooch in her har and a necklace
http://svenskdam.se/2010/04/nya-lack...aret/#comments

Tags
crown princess victoria, jewellery, princess victoria, victoria