Crown Princess Mary Jewellery 4: November 2009-December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't like that tiara lovethe earrings and the bracelet... I think the tiara is wrong for the red gown totally...
True True. The ruby would have been so perfect. This tiara is something I think is more suited for a different kind of event. Which one, I don't know I cant wrap my head around that tiara....pun!:flowers:

I don't think wearing the ruby tiara would have been right for Madeleine's wedding - yes it would have gone better with the dress
BUT - the ruby tiara is Mary's 'big' tiara she uses it mainly for special occasions like the new year court. She did wear it to Victoria's wedding which I think was the first time it had been taken out of Denmark by Mary - but there was the Swedish connection especially with Victoria being heir. Madeleine's wedding was not a state occasion like Victoria and the royal ladies did not wear there 'big' major tiaras for the wedding. Wearing a smaller tiara suited this event better - whether that have been her wedding tiara or the one she choose the Midnight tiara

The tiara is too "cool" in color with the grays and blacks, making a poor contrast to the warm tones of Mary's gown. Wearing her ruby tiara would have improved the look so much, or even her pearl wedding tiara.

:previous:I understand the "cool" vs "warm" color rules and they crossed my mind when I saw this combo. But just like the idea that redheads should stay away from pink or red, sometimes it works! I just love the Midnight so maybe that's why!

Some details about a pair of earrings Mary wore recently: https://app.box.com/s/n06y63ikznqdwq3xwott

They are from JewlsCph, made of 24 carats gilded Sterling silver. And hammered to give them this particular texture.

1 € = 7.5 DKK.
1 $ = 5.6 DKK

she wore her wedding tiara at the state visit gala.and new earings

i have not found any good photos

Last edited:
Totally gorgeous photos and just such beautiful jewels thanks

Jewelry from Mexico trip

Mary had beautiful jewlery on this trip. I love the long diamond earrings worn with the red short cocktail dress. She also wore an interesting ruby ring on her index finger that night. Are they both part of her usual repetoire?
Also, she wore a large diamond ring during a day event in which she wore the asian-themed dress with black pearl earrings which I have seen many times before. Is the diamond ring one she's worn before?

Mary has had, I assume, six tiara appearances of 2013:

1 2 3 4 5 6

Her wedding tiara gets the most use. She needs another tiara IMO. I'd just like to see more variety.

Her wedding tiara gets the most use. She needs another tiara IMO. I'd just like to see more variety.

She needs a 4:th tiara with only diamonds so she have something more than the rubies to the grandest occasions. Come on Frederik, buy her one ;)

I knew nothing about the pre Queen Alexandra history of the Ruby parure,thanks for posting the video,its highly fascinating.Also Queen MII is a wonderful story teller!

She needs a 4:th tiara with only diamonds so she have something more than the rubies to the grandest occasions. Come on Frederik, buy her one ;)

Whilst I agree that Mary could do with a better diamond tiara, I think she needs a proper diamond necklace more urgently.

:previous: I like that she uses what she has well although I am not a fan of the ruby tiara's latest incarnation. It seems too full and heavy and has lost some of the airy lightness and interest.

That she is using the spare pieces from the over-long ends as hair ornaments is just another example of her ringing the changes. She seems endlessly practical/creative in that way.

Since Mary also likes to wear parts of the parure in her hair, I wonder how that brooch would have looked nestled in the back of her updo? I'd much prefer that placement than on that velvet band.

:previous: I like that she uses what she has well although I am not a fan of the ruby tiara's latest incarnation. It seems too full and heavy and has lost some of the airy lightness and interest.

That she is using the spare pieces from the over-long ends as hair ornaments is just another example of her ringing the changes. She seems endlessly practical/creative in that way.

I remember Mary stating that she needed to amend the tiara because the shape didn't fit and suit her headshape. She was very nervous about making changes that she actually asked Queen Margrethe for permission. She knew how much the late Queen Ingrid is loved and was afraid of backlash if she changed the tiara. Queen Margrethe not only gave her permission, but was extremely supportive and encouraged Mary to use her own imagination with the rest of parure. Hence the changes to the earrings and necklace.

I love the original design of the necklace, but I can understand why Mary changed it.

I really miss the old design. I understand you have to be able to get through the night wearing it though. It just seems to me that the jeweller who altered it was less talented than the previous who altered it for queen Ingrid. No harm has been done to the tiara, but it lacks imagination IMO. It's still a superb piece of 19th century art, one of my favourites.

I can understand the wish to change the tiara frame to make it more fiotting to her head. But why did shey not only put in on a new frame and remove parts of the sides but left the main part as it was. For me it looked much more natural, airy and beautiful in Queen Ingrid's version then now. As for the changes at the necklace and earrings that are no permanent changes like at the tiara. The peaces are now more versatil and it is a good idea that the necklace can be worn with and without the pendants.

I don't think wearing the ruby tiara would have been right for Madeleine's wedding - yes it would have gone better with the dress
BUT - the ruby tiara is Mary's 'big' tiara she uses it mainly for special occasions like the new year court. She did wear it to Victoria's wedding which I think was the first time it had been taken out of Denmark by Mary - but there was the Swedish connection especially with Victoria being heir. Madeleine's wedding was not a state occasion like Victoria and the royal ladies did not wear there 'big' major tiaras for the wedding. Wearing a smaller tiara suited this event better - whether that have been her wedding tiara or the one she choose the Midnight tiara

The tiara CPM wore at Madeleine's wedding is called the Midnight tiara. It is designed and made by Charlotte Lynggaard (Ole Lynggaard Copenhagen) The tiara is still owned by the jeweller but CPM can use it whenever she likes. It has leaves of oxidised silver, rose coloured white gold (?) and red gold. The 'berries' are moonstones and orbs studded with 1300 diamonds.
I think looks great on CPM - to be critical the style is a tad close to the ruby & diamond tiara.
I saw somewhere that the Midnight has a price tag of 280000USD - ball park figure. The 10th anniversary of her and CPF's wedding is just around the corner. Mayby someone will feel generous :)
midnight-tiara.html

I too would like to see Mary with a nice diamond necklace and have been thinking that QMII could easily redesign the King Faud diamond necklace that she hardly ever wears for Mary to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom