Crown Princess Mary Jewellery 4: November 2009-December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the interests of accuracy it should be noted that the ruby tiara is the property of Crown Prince Frederik.
In effect both Marie's tiara and Mary's ruby tiara are on "permanent loan".
I was reffering to Mary's diamond tiara Warren ( wishing to show that she had at least one tiara for her own). I guess I should have been a little more specific :flowers:.

Apologies, my error.

Thanks Marfre, I will try and find some more pics of the event. Would love to know if she has been given a new brooch. Looks like two flowers on a stem in diamonds. Queen Elisabeth II has one similiar.

Marys ruby set/parure

Just to remind everyone, Marys ruby parure was made by Desiree Clary a wealthy French aristocrat to wear to Napoleon Bonaparte's coronation in 1804. She married his general Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, who was adopted by the childless Swedish King and Jean became King Charles 14 th Sweden and Desiree his queen. The Desiree rubies were then passed down to Princess Louise of Sweden who married crown prince Frederik VIII of Denmark. The set passed down to Queen Ingrid and early photos show it in its original form. A large corsage brooch made from the leaves; which Qu Ingrid used to augment the top of the tiara. Queen Ingrid left it directly to Frederik. As I assume Joachim owns the tiara that Alexandra used to wear, I know I read this somewhere. :) Tried to post a photo but alas can't find how to.

Last edited:
reply to bertie Greenland necklace

Is it tradition Tarlita I think just about every royal owns a single strand of pearls and earrings to match and I thought that that is because they all just do I own two single strands and so on ..... it is not tradition just a given.

Sorry Bertie to take so long to reply, I've been away. I read that the large single strand necklace was a wedding gift from the people of Greenland and then I noticed that the other Danish Princesses also have one large necklace like Mary's. So I imagine it might be a Greenland tradition to give Danish Princesses this as a wedding gift.

Does Mary have a new brooch

When Mary attended the Queen of Denmark exhibit at Frederiksborg, wearing a black coat and hat, she also wore a double flower brooch with a single stem in diamonds. Hello magazine published a good photo but not a close up. Did anyone else notice? Queen Elisabeth II has one very similiar. I was wondering who might have given it to her.:) Does anyone know?

Can anyone tell me how to post a photo without using a URL.

:previous:
If it's a photo to which you don't own the copyright or have written permission from the copyright owner to reproduce here, then you can't post it directly.
Most members use a free image-hosting account such as Photobucket, Imageshack etc and post the url link.

Just to remind everyone, Marys ruby parure was made by Desiree Clary a wealthy French aristocrat to wear to Napoleon Bonaparte's coronation in 1804.

I think you mean...made for Desiree Clary, who at one time was engaged to Napoleon I. Desiree received the ruby parure from her ex-fiance. According to 'Queen's Jewels' by Vincent Meylan, the parure was made by a Parisian jeweler.

I think that is very interesting about where the ruby parure came from.
Off topic, Desiree was Queen of Sweden, but was she ever Queen of Norway? If yes, are the royal families of Denmark and Sweden related?:);):)

Last edited by a moderator:
... Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, who was adopted by the childless Swedish King and Jean became King Charles 14 th Sweden and Desiree his queen.
Thank you so muh, I did not know, so an adoptive became a King? ow, this is real new to me! thank yo so much!

Yes Desiree was also Queen of Norway because from 1814-1905 Norway was in an Union with Sweden.
And yes the Royal Families of Sweden and Denmark are related many times. The first conncetion was the marriage of Princess Lovisa of Sweden to the future King Frederik VIII. of Denmark in 1869. Since then there where many marriages between the 2 Families.

Thank you Ayvee, I should write what I mean. I knew that Napoleon wanted to marry her and she ditched him. But I did not know that she was engaged to him. I had never read before that Napoleon gave her the ruby parure. It is a wonder he didn't make her return it. Her sister - Marie Julie Clary married his brother Joseph Bonaparte. I think Desiree was better off with the good looking Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, even though she didn't like living in Sweden.

:previous: Desiree got the parure long after they were separated, and after both were married. Napoleon has planned this big coronation for himself and Josefine and since Desiree was the wife of one of his officers she was expected to attend. So Napoleon gave to Jean (as he did to most of his officers) a large sum of money and ordered him to buy suitable jewels for his wife to wear on that important - and he went on and bought the Ruby parure and Desiree kept it later as a gift from Napoleon.I ve looked at the coronation painting but I wasn't able to spot Desiree, a pity.

;)I wonder... if the ruby suite is kept in vault with the other royal jewels or if Mary has here own vault that she keeps her things in...probably something we will never know, but I was just wondering..:)

Ashelen the history of Swedens jewels is very interesting. You should check out Queen Josefina of Sweden, who scooped the pool with fabulous jewels handed down to her and some from her sister. But as this is Marys thread I just want to say imagine Mary one day wearing Queen Margrethes sapphires. :whistling: That is - the necklace and brooch with round stone and the oblong sapphire, sometimes worn as a pendant. These sapphires were a wedding gift to the Grand Duchess Anastasia Mikhailovna from her cousin Tsar Alexander III when she married Grand Duke Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenberg Schwerrin in 1879. Anastasia gave the sapphires to her daughter Alexandrine when she married in 1898 the future King Christian X of Denmark. When Russian Grand Duchesses married they received full parures of pearls, rubies, sapphires, emeralds and diamonds. The oblong sapphire surrounded by diamonds originally belonged to an enormous corsage brooch; since broken up probably by Qu Ingrid.
cheers

I guess the "vaults" are a place with high security standars (and therefore expensive to maintain) and since I guess it only takes a big room to keep in all the jewels in theirs cases and they all live nearby, it would be pointless to have separate vaults just for the small "personal" collections. But no one knows for sure :flowers:

Just reread the history of Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, aka, King Charles XIV of Sweden. Brenda Ralph Lewis in an article in majesty magazine says Napoleon dumped Desiree for Josephine.

Lumutqueen you have made my day. Thank you very much for the closeup pic. So Mary now has a new brooch. A flower set in gold with either a diamond or pearl centre and something else to the side, like a leaf perhaps. Wonder who gave it to her? May have been a birthday gift perhaps.

Lumutqueen you have made my day. Thank you very much for the closeup pic. So Mary now has a new brooch. A flower set in gold with either a diamond or pearl centre and something else to the side, like a leaf perhaps. Wonder who gave it to her? May have been a birthday gift perhaps.

Frontal view of the brooch:
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n374/royalmb/apr10/apr8/broochapr92010.jpg

It's a good match to the lace flower pattern of her Heartmade top:
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n374/royalmb/apr10/apr8/lacepattern.jpg

A super chic outfit like the above requires an equally chic brooch, and Mary obviously made the best possible choice!!! Perfection!!! :flowers:

Can anyone provide a close-up of the aquamarine earrings?

:previous: They are real beauties then! The colour of the stones is fantastic - thanks so much, Her_Majesty! :flowers:

Good Golly, those aqua earrings are soooo gorgeous! About the brooch, thanks as always ayvee for your great pics, do we even know if its real or costume? It is very lovely and really perfect the way Mary wore it!:DI hope Fredrik gets out the wallet;)and gets our Mary a nice necklace for thier anniversary, don't you all agree?

Thanks Ayvee for the very good pic of the gold brooch. It looks real to me not costume as it has a classical look rather than contempory. Could have been a birthday gift. It is nice to see her wearing something different other than Marianne Dulong jewellery.

thhis ea rings are to die for!!!!

They are of an "old" design. Caroline of Monaco/Hanover was wearing something quite similar a few years ago, and I'm sure there was another royal lady (Maxima or Mathilde?) who had much the same as well. There was a discussion about this style of earrings a while back, possibly in Mary's jewels part 2.

Last edited:
I am TOTALLY in love with those aquarmarines I love the close up thanks

They are of an "old" design. Caroline of Monaco/Hanover was wearing something quite similar a few years ago, and I'm sure there was another royal lady (Maxima or Mathilde?) who had much the same as well. There was a discussion about this style of earrings a while back, possibly in Mary's jewels part 2.

Princess Caroline wore this design of earrings just this month to an event in the evening. Her earrings were of sapphires, rubies and emeralds I believe.

I just love this antique design. They are quite breathtaking because you can see a lot of beautiful gems on the princess' ears. Princess Mary's gems just sparkle.:);):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom