The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

First glimpse on Mary's stunning necklace (tiara worn as a necklace?) at the concert for Margrethe's 75th birthday

http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/524/8/x2048-u/8524444-.jpg

Old 04-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Aristocracy

The people on tv2 said it was a tiara worn as a necklace, not sure how they know.
It looks like it could be one, but not one I can remember seeing before...
Rather lovely anyhow.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Serene Highness

Well, TV2 has, after all, Anna von Lowzow as commentator
Old 04-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Then I hope that Anna von Lowzow will let more details slip. I already love this necklace and have high hopes to see it as tiara sooner or later. But I can't remember having seen this jewel on any other family member before.

One thought: they have four kids, in years to come they will all need tiaras (the boys of course won't need them for themselves, of course). So why not start to aquire some suitable pieces now so that CP Mary can wear them for a while?

Edit: I didn't watch the the transmission, but maybe Anna von Lowzow made her comment before she had had a clear view on the necklace? She might have been mistaken, maybe she now is as puzzled as we are?

Old 04-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Majesty

The necklace and earrings are absolutely stunning! The necklace is incredible.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

It's definitely not her wedding tiara. Maybe a new piece of jewelry from Frederik? Or a gift from Margrethe?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

A good view on the stunning new necklace.
Crown Princess Mary of Denmark attends a Gala Night to mark the... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images
Have the earrings been seen before?

Old 04-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Heir Apparent

A close up of the stunning necklace Mary wears tonight.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...b1249fb049f173
Old 04-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

That necklace is absolutely riveting, I must say. Definitely looks like a convertible tiara to me, I just don't know which one it can be. Doesn't look like one I've seen before. It'll be interesting to see if BB have some more information on it.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Its very similar to her tiara so I hope at least for now we get to enjoy as a necklace. Her makeup is so pretty close up.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:15 AM
Courtier

Beautiful new necklace and earrings! The necklace looks like an old antique which makes it even more gorgeous and the earrings are so delicate. What a wonderful combo. I hope we see the necklace as a tiara soon.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
A good view on the stunning new necklace.
Crown Princess Mary of Denmark attends a Gala Night to mark the... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images
Have the earrings been seen before?
The earrings are new as well.
The necklace is lovely and it looks like it could be a tiara.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:34 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

How exciting. It isn't every day that we see a newly aquired piece of this size on a royal (save the ugly Saudi gifts for the Duchess of Cornwall). Let's hope we will see it often in the future, also as a tiara. Her wedding tiara always looked better as a necklace IMHO and the two seem to be in a simular style. Let's hope she will wear them together the soon. Of course it could also be a loan.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Majesty

Lovely. The stones may not be large and sparkly, but the necklace / tiara has size and stature on its size. Methinks a welcome addition to Mary's collection.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

We still need to see better and clearer close-up pics of the necklace. But so far I don't think that there are that many diamonds in it. I think it's mainly metal ornaments accentuated with a diamond at the base and at the end of it. Far from the typical diamond encrusted Saudi gifts. But it has all the advantage of style, charm, taste and history. I love it!

There will be tiara events coming up next week, though I don't dare hope that CP Mary will repeat the jewel so soon as a tiara.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We still need to see better and clearer close-up pics of the necklace. But so far I don't think that there are that many diamonds in it. I think it's mainly metal ornaments accentuated with a diamond at the base and at the end of it. Far from the typical diamond encrusted Saudi gifts. But it has all the advantage of style, charm, taste and history. I love it!

There will be tiara events coming up next week, though I don't dare hope that CP Mary will repeat the jewel so soon as a tiara.
Agree, I don't see a lot of diamonds (mostly differently colored metals) on this necklace but I still love it.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Lovely. The stones may not be large and sparkly, but the necklace / tiara has size and stature on its size. Methinks a welcome addition to Mary's collection.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Agree, I don't see a lot of diamonds (mostly differently colored metals) on this necklace but I still love it.
I think we all agree, it looks like a lovely necklace (and potentially, a tiara), and would make a very welcome and useful addition to Mary's jewel chest.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
That necklace is absolutely riveting, I must say. Definitely looks like a convertible tiara to me, I just don't know which one it can be. Doesn't look like one I've seen before. It'll be interesting to see if BB have some more information on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
Beautiful new necklace and earrings! The necklace looks like an old antique which makes it even more gorgeous and the earrings are so delicate. What a wonderful combo. I hope we see the necklace as a tiara soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
AZ you are right, that necklace is absolutely riveting and, more importantly, it looks to be an older design which would lend itself to conversion to a tiara. As Amy noted, it has an "old antique" feel about it and as dbarn notes, it doesn't look heavy on the diamonds. So we have a very interesting piece, well set actually if we include the earrings.

On the one hand it could be something quite old and with a paucity of sparkly diamonds we could assume that those diamonds there are, are a very old cut and so not as blingy as newer pieces or, we could be looking at a very new retro piece which, with the matching but almost contemporary lines of the earrings, could be more likely.

Either way, I believe this is a very lovely addition to Mary's jewel box and, if it does indeed convert to a tiara, could look a lot more substantial than her wedding tiara. As to whether it is gems, metal or a bit of both, well we have all seen just how spectacular metal alone can look when we see the Swedish Steel Cut tiara.

As for me, I can't wait to find out something, anything, about the history of this set, be it long or short. I stand ready to be surprised.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Serene Highness

It looks Victorian Style to me, so I think, it is created before 1900....
Old and not too many bling diamonds, but really divine
Bye Bine
Old 04-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
It looks Victorian Style to me, so I think, it is created before 1900....
Old and not too many bling diamonds, but really divine
Bye Bine
I agree, it is quite possibly, Victorian.

I remain surprised that Queen Margarethe has not really materially added to the Danish jewel collection. We are not talking about big spending, but for example, a year's clothing and accessories purchase moratorium for Mary would well fund the purchase of a demi-parure.

Closed Thread

Tags
crown princess mary jewellery