The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I knew nothing about the pre Queen Alexandra history of the Ruby parure,thanks for posting the video,its highly fascinating.Also Queen MII is a wonderful story teller!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
She needs a 4:th tiara with only diamonds so she have something more than the rubies to the grandest occasions. Come on Frederik, buy her one
Whilst I agree that Mary could do with a better diamond tiara, I think she needs a proper diamond necklace more urgently.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Nobility

I was waiting to see comments on CP Marys use of the ruby parure brooch:
The Scandinavian Royals Message Board

What do you think? I like that she Plays around with the jewelry she has.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I like that she uses what she has well although I am not a fan of the ruby tiara's latest incarnation. It seems too full and heavy and has lost some of the airy lightness and interest.

That she is using the spare pieces from the over-long ends as hair ornaments is just another example of her ringing the changes. She seems endlessly practical/creative in that way.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Since Mary also likes to wear parts of the parure in her hair, I wonder how that brooch would have looked nestled in the back of her updo? I'd much prefer that placement than on that velvet band.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I like that she uses what she has well although I am not a fan of the ruby tiara's latest incarnation. It seems too full and heavy and has lost some of the airy lightness and interest.

That she is using the spare pieces from the over-long ends as hair ornaments is just another example of her ringing the changes. She seems endlessly practical/creative in that way.
I remember Mary stating that she needed to amend the tiara because the shape didn't fit and suit her headshape. She was very nervous about making changes that she actually asked Queen Margrethe for permission. She knew how much the late Queen Ingrid is loved and was afraid of backlash if she changed the tiara. Queen Margrethe not only gave her permission, but was extremely supportive and encouraged Mary to use her own imagination with the rest of parure. Hence the changes to the earrings and necklace.

I love the original design of the necklace, but I can understand why Mary changed it.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really miss the old design. I understand you have to be able to get through the night wearing it though. It just seems to me that the jeweller who altered it was less talented than the previous who altered it for queen Ingrid. No harm has been done to the tiara, but it lacks imagination IMO. It's still a superb piece of 19th century art, one of my favourites.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

I can understand the wish to change the tiara frame to make it more fiotting to her head. But why did shey not only put in on a new frame and remove parts of the sides but left the main part as it was. For me it looked much more natural, airy and beautiful in Queen Ingrid's version then now. As for the changes at the necklace and earrings that are no permanent changes like at the tiara. The peaces are now more versatil and it is a good idea that the necklace can be worn with and without the pendants.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I don't think wearing the ruby tiara would have been right for Madeleine's wedding - yes it would have gone better with the dress
BUT - the ruby tiara is Mary's 'big' tiara she uses it mainly for special occasions like the new year court. She did wear it to Victoria's wedding which I think was the first time it had been taken out of Denmark by Mary - but there was the Swedish connection especially with Victoria being heir. Madeleine's wedding was not a state occasion like Victoria and the royal ladies did not wear there 'big' major tiaras for the wedding. Wearing a smaller tiara suited this event better - whether that have been her wedding tiara or the one she choose the Midnight tiara
The tiara CPM wore at Madeleine's wedding is called the Midnight tiara. It is designed and made by Charlotte Lynggaard (Ole Lynggaard Copenhagen) The tiara is still owned by the jeweller but CPM can use it whenever she likes. It has leaves of oxidised silver, rose coloured white gold (?) and red gold. The 'berries' are moonstones and orbs studded with 1300 diamonds.
I think looks great on CPM - to be critical the style is a tad close to the ruby & diamond tiara.
I saw somewhere that the Midnight has a price tag of 280000USD - ball park figure. The 10th anniversary of her and CPF's wedding is just around the corner. Mayby someone will feel generous
Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 AM
Courtier

I too would like to see Mary with a nice diamond necklace and have been thinking that QMII could easily redesign the King Faud diamond necklace that she hardly ever wears for Mary to use.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I too would like to see Mary with a nice diamond necklace and have been thinking that QMII could easily redesign the King Faud diamond necklace that she hardly ever wears for Mary to use.
I was wondering whether this necklace has been broken up, but then again, I doubt HM would mess with gifts of this calibre! It's sending the wrong signals. The Danish RF jewellery book mentions that the Saudi piece is set in platin giving the necklace a different lustre from HM's other diamond jewellery, which is set in silver.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:10 PM
Commoner

Viv, I have suspected for a long time, since I became a member here, that the givers of the wonderful jewelry sort of expect the ladies who receive their gifts to tinker just a bit.
I honestly would be surprised to find out that any of the Saudis or other rulers who give expensive jewelry would take offense. Most likely they they are just happy that the pieces are used.
I think it would be lovely to see QMII let Mary have a go at some of the jewels that she doesn't wear anymore. I know Mary will get them soon enough as Queen, but why wait, especially on some of the less significant pieces.
Even in a poor economy, it would not bother me to see a royal lady wearing a re-tinkered piece from the vault. It is really ridiculous for people to complain about a woman wearing nice jewelry. I see the nice jewelry and clothes as part of the job of the royal ladies of which ever family we discuss here on the forums.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Do we have any clearer images of the pendant (attached to the string of pearls) and earrings Mary wore to the State Banquet for the visiting President of Turkey?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Do we have any clearer images of the pendant (attached to the string of pearls) and earrings Mary wore to the State Banquet for the visiting President of Turkey?
I have been wondering as well what stones make up these earrings and pendant.They look pale pink in colour and I don't know if they are new or not.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I dont think the earrings are new but the pendant seems to be.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I have been wondering as well what stones make up these earrings and pendant.They look pale pink in colour and I don't know if they are new or not.
Probably tourmaline, or something similar. Maxima has jewellery with a pink stone and diamond surround.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

State Dinner- Visit to Denmark of the Turkish President
Images have been cropped (less than 20% of the original) and aren´t subject of copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marydenmark.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	291234  
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Gentry

I've recently updated my posts on some Scandinavian tiaras and I would love some feedback. Here are the tiaras that Crown Princess Mary has worn.

Midnight Tiara
Ruby Parure Tiara
Wedding Tiara

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Tiara Mania. Great site!!!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Nobility

I love the Midnight Tiara and of course the Ruby Parure Tiara is beyond perfection. As lovely as Mary's Wedding Tiara is, it seems too dainty for the hairstyles that Mary prefers to wear with it. It gets lost, but that's just my opinion.

Tags
crown princess mary jewellery