The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Courtier

Yes...that's your opinion....while my opinion is the opposite...So we can agree to disagree!
An interesting view from Bjarne (the author of the Danish Royal Jewels and who was a contributor to the recent documentary on the royal jewels) is at Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Princess Mary at the New Year's Court Banquet

Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Royal Highness

I'm with majority and don't like this combination at all. White pearls in Sweden was ok, but gray ones? Don't match to rubies and are almost invisible in the evening. Mary said that she is trying new settings for this parure but honesty not all of her ideas are good.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Yes...that's your opinion....while my opinion is the opposite...So we can agree to disagree!
An interesting view from Bjarne (the author of the Danish Royal Jewels and who was a contributor to the recent documentary on the royal jewels) is at Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Princess Mary at the New Year's Court Banquet

The quote referred to was a little astringent in it's damning of those that disapprove of the changes to the parure. Well to the tiara, to be precise.

Bottom line, this is the Royal Forums and we can like or dislike to our hearts content. I have no problems with the tiara but loathed the dark pearls, and was disappointed with the earrings . . . they were too small and insignificant to balance with the tiara, which I am sure you will all agree, is a serious piece of hardware!

I am hoping for some new mid sized ruby earring variation to debut in the not too distant future.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The quote referred to was a little astringent in it's damning of those that disapprove of the changes to the parure. Well to the tiara, to be precise.
IMHO...I think that to Bjarne...this issue is personal as he knows and has discussed the issue with the Crown Princess and he has an intimate knowledge of the royal jewels. I think that some posters on that particular message board have been very stringent themselves in expressing their opposite views, so he was reacting to that IMO. The attitude seems to be...how dare Crown Princess Mary change the parure...as if she needs approval and permission from some royal watchers.

Quote:
Bottom line, this is the Royal Forums and we can like or dislike to our hearts content.
Very true...and at least we can have a mature and respectful discussion about the issue.
And in the final analysis...it is not as if our likes and dislikes of the changes are of any relevance to the Crown Princess and what she chooses to do with private property.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Hasn't this tiara undergone other metamorphoses in the past? If the tiara in its current state was difficult to wear for the current owner, it's reasonable that she'd want something personalized for her that's more comfortable and flattering. And look how she's gotten the extra hair ornament that makes this set so versatile. I'm sure this won't be the last time we've seen a reincarnation of this parure.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Queen Ingrid changed the tiara to suit her taste because she wanted something bigger. The tiara didnt even start life as a tiara, merely as pieces that could be sewn onto your clothes or worn in your hair. Marys chnages are really quite minor compared to previous changes.

I can only imagine the reaction if Mary goes ahead and makes changes to the necklace as Bjarne suggested to her.

In the end the jewels are hers to do with as she wishes, and apparently she has the approval of her husband and mother in law who seems to think it is quite a natural thing to do. Nothing stays the same forever. As we know Queen Mary of GB was constantly changing her jewels, I wonder what the reaction on these boards would have been had they existed in her days?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Courtier

With some of today's "royal watchers" and self-proclaimed "jewelry experts"...Queen Mary would probably have been accused of committing treason!!!
And yes...Crown Princess Mary has the approval of the only 2 people in the world whose opinions count... her husband (who is the owner of the jewels) and her mother-in-law (who has changed her own jewels even more than Crown Princess Mary has)!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Nobility

I think there are two opinions - historic jewels should never be changed and the other is that they can be changed to make them more wearable for the owner - I slightly tend to agree with the second opinion, but we have to take into consideration, that alterations are very much according to personal taste and personal taste is after all exactly this - personal taste. So people might like or hate them.
So I would say - If jewelry belong to any crown jewels or foundation - leave them as they are. If they are personal property - IMO people can do
whatever they like with them.
BUT - this is also a personal opinion - however hopefully respectful and decent.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I tend to think if its just to alter a piece so it 'fits better' or lays better to make it more wearable than yes it should be altered. Better that than sitting in a safe. Tearing it apart to make something "modern" is usually a disaster IMO. Queen Mary was an excetion because she altered things to more Art Deco style which is still the most beautiful jewerly IMO, so I'll allow it.hehe..
Old 01-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
I think there are two opinions - historic jewels should never be changed and the other is that they can be changed to make them more wearable for the owner - I slightly tend to agree with the second opinion, but we have to take into consideration, that alterations are very much according to personal taste and personal taste is after all exactly this - personal taste. So people might like or hate them.
So I would say - If jewelry belong to any crown jewels or foundation - leave them as they are. If they are personal property - IMO people can do
whatever they like with them.
BUT - this is also a personal opinion - however hopefully respectful and decent.
Recently there were a short film about Queen Elizabeth sitting for a portrait and having a conversation with the artist. The question was asked if jewels are ever changed and the Queen answered ...oh yes, all the time...

Jewels are intended to be worn and as such are changed to be suitable to the wearer and sometimes the times. Jewelry in a foundation are not different than royals private jewels other than the ownership and subsequent distribution upon death.

Crown jewels are of course a totally different set of jewels.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

What good are those personal jewels if they sit stultifying in a vault because they're too antiquated in their settings to wear? By refashioning these pieces to suit the wearer, they can be revitalized and enjoyed as they're meant to be. One always hopes, though, that caution is always involved with the redesign, so that it doesn't get too extreme and the total look of the piece is destroyed.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I quite agree, although it is hardly the first time this particular tiara has been "Modified". Does anyone know if the rest of the parure, particularly the necklace and chandelier earrings, has been significantly altered (Mary's unfortunate Tahitian pearl penchant notwithstanding)?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Aristocracy

I like the change. She certainly wears it much better now than she did before.

Changes things a bit to make it more wearable I fine, I think. Changes something to make a completely different looking piece is a great shame.

I wonder how the necklace would look if it could be turned into a tiara as well. It's a rather big necklace, so it might make a pretty little tiara...
Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

I read that Queen Ingrid modified the parure to make it larger for her head, and now Mary's remodified it back to a smaller size to fit her own. And I'm sure this won't be the last time this undergoes modification when it's passed to future queens.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

did anyone notice that Mary was wearing pearl earrings with the blue outfit that are the tops of her diamond loops. We have now seen them with:
original diamonds
coral
smokey topaz
pink quartz ( I think) and
pearls......I love this when jewelry can be converted. Maxima has some similar earrings that she wears with different stones also!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I just love her wedding earrings:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YsbBSOBvXX...-AFP-Hello.jpg

I think they are perfect for a wedding.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I just love her wedding earrings:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YsbBSOBvXX...-AFP-Hello.jpg

I think they are perfect for a wedding.
These are gorgeous. Her headpiece, veil and earrings gave a Renaissance feel.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if those pearls are detachable and just the diamond loops can be worn?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I wonder if those pearls are detachable and just the diamond loops can be worn?
I've often wondered the same thing.... Also I think her HAIR style and veil were sheer perfection for CP Mary's wedding. She looks so happy in these pictures. Thanks for posting again!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Nobility

Mary's bridal earring were lovely and complemented her gown so very well. I just wish they had attached to her lobe with a jewel (perhaps a diamond stud) rather than the plain metal.

Tags
crown princess mary jewellery