The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I definitely thought of Princess Micheal's tiara when I saw Mary with this altered version, but while P.Micheal's looks like a coherent and splendid tiara, Mary's still looks mismatched. But I am hoping with time and adjustments she will find the right balance with it.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks good. I too thought of the tiara which is often worn by Princess Michael.

I don't think too many alterarions should be made, infact, I think this is plenty. It is her wedding tiara afterall and one should hope it would retain the integrity of the original composition.

The problem with having the pearls along the base means that it will have a tendency to look off balance. That however can be managed as long as the hair is styled in a way that supports the frame. By that I mean that the hair should not be worn flat but should build up around the base and cover the ends of the frame (and some pearls).

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...600x600Q85.jpg

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-14-2011, 02:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Her hair looked odd and the tiara looked crooked IMO not her best look here. Just something not quite right and there is no room for error with these CP's IMO, they have everyone and everything at their beck and call and so frankly nothing should be able to be questioned.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Seems a bit harsh.

It's not ideal that a tiara should appear crooked, but it's hardly something any of them would anticipate to happen.

Tiara bases are fitted with elasticised material that wrap around the back of the head to ensure they remain well positioned. Sometimes, it can slip.

Now that Mary's tiara has a pearl strand along the base that is quite visible, it means that any slight slip of the tiara (or if her hair is parted unevenly) will be noticed unless the pearls are covered by hair. Any tiara that has pearls along it's base is always worn best with coiffed hair.

I'm glad the pearls were added. In contrast to the tiara Princess Marie uses, CP Mary's wedding tiara has always seemed, although delicate, quite uninspiring. Now, not so much.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
I love the re-design of this tiara. I've always thought it was a bit sparce previously.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wIxkgiPSdh...600x600Q85.jpg
Yes, I would say the tiara has presence now
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertie5252003 View Post
Just something not quite right and there is no room for error with these CP's IMO, they have everyone and everything at their beck and call and so frankly nothing should be able to be questioned.
Basically you are saying that the humans who do the hair and make up are not allowed to be human, but have to act like robots? What should the CPss do in your opinion? Fire the employees as soon as they make a mistake?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

IMO and this is only IMO there is or should be no room for this kind of error. What you still thinlk these CP's are like everyday run out and do the shopping and bad hair day and I don't have time for thsi before I go to work ....types ...no IMO they are not. Much time is spent planning everything they wear how it is to done and so on so ther is no place for what was seen on Mary. You can draw your own conclusions though.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Courtier

I never understood why Mary and Marie are not allowed to wear or to loan any of the Queen's fantastic tiara collections for events. Is there any particular reason for this? I mean Maxima and the Swedish royal ladies wear tons of different tiara's from the royal collection. Why not the Danish princesses? Does anyone know?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
I never understood why Mary and Marie are not allowed to wear or to loan any of the Queen's fantastic tiara collections for events. Is there any particular reason for this? I mean Maxima and the Swedish royal ladies wear tons of different tiara's from the royal collection. Why not the Danish princesses? Does anyone know?
Some jewels are for the use of the monarch only.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
Some jewels are for the use of the monarch only.
But in Denmark that only goes for the crown jewels, and there is only one tiara amoung them: the tiara from the emerald parure. The rest of her tiaras are privately owned by the Queen. Queen Ingrid did loan tiaras to her daughters, but Queen Margrethe does not. It seems to be her personal decision that jewels should not be shared.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
But in Denmark that only goes for the crown jewels, and there is only one tiara amoung them: the tiara from the emerald parure. The rest of her tiaras are privately owned by the Queen. Queen Ingrid did loan tiaras to her daughters, but Queen Margrethe does not. It seems to be her personal decision that jewels should not be shared.
There are also other historic Jewels like the Orange-Nassau diamond and pearl tiara and it's matching necklace which was put in a Fideikomiss by Queen Lovisa and are for the use of the Queen. Therefore Queen Ingrid stopped to use this Jewels after her husband dies and Margrethe became the Queen.
I think it has to do with the tradition that in the Family. Queen Ingrid loaned the tiaras to her daughters which they later inherited except for the Khedive tiara which she used herself. In Sweden most of the tiaras who are shared are not privat owned but belong to the Bernadotte Family foundations and in the Netherlands all historic Jewels are owned by the Family foundation.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
I actually like the way the Danish and British queens keep most of the jewels for themselves and lend only specific pieces to other royal ladies. In my mind, it helps keep the jewels used by the Queen special.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Even though the Dutch do all share the Large bank of jewels. There are several tiaras that only the Queen uses and some suites that haven't been used in years so there is some specialness there as well IMO. But I would love to see Mary in some of the other jewels, maybe not tiaras but some of the necklaces or brooches....oh well....
Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Margrethe doesnt have any daughters, only DILs who might not be around forever but at least on pictures they would remain associated with crown jewellery as divorcees: I think its a matter of QM being careful and having learned from the past.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I know a lot of people mixed opinions about Mary's alterations to her wedding tiara, so I did a little photoshopping... check out the photoshopping royal jewels thread!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I just saw the gala dinner of the State Visit from South Korea on DR1. And what a surprise! Mary has changed her wedding tiara, pearls were added to the smaller tiara spikes and a band of pearls was added to the base!!!!
Here's a screen shot: http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/44...600x600Q85.jpg
I don't think the pearl base matches the rest of the tiara. A diamond base version would be a good choice.
I like, however, the pearls added on top.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 AM
Gentry

I really, really dislike the embellishments to Mary's wedding tiara. IMO, it looks like she's gone nuts with the glue gun and some pearls she picked up at the craft store. I happen to like pearls, but they don't enhance this tiara. Outlining the base the way they do is an absolute mistake. The tiara looked crooked, and the base will only make it more apparent when it isn't perfectly straight. I hope they'll undo it and return it to its former glory. It was never my favorite tiara in the first place, but I absolutely hate it now.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
It’s exciting to see Mary playing with her jewellery. The added pearls give the tiara a fuller look, but on the other hand one can see that they were not part of the original design. They somehow don’t fit in completely. Especially the pearl band around the base has a somewhat harsh look. Or is it just the fact that I’m so much used to the orignal version? Maybe I’ll need more time to adjust my eyes.
I hope that the tiara is still versatile. It would be lovely to see it in different versions, without pearls, with some pearls, with many pearls, as a necklace… I will make tiara watching more exciting!
I totally agree with you here. The idea of adding pearls is great - but the plain line of pearls at the base does somehow not fit. It would have been potentially better with alternate pearls and diamonds???? any other ideas?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think if the pearls at the base were a size smaller it would look a wee bit more elegant.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princejohnny25, what wedding is your avatar from?

Tags
crown princess mary jewellery