Crown Princess Mary Jewellery 4: November 2009-December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a newbie, could someone explain to me the reasoning behind Queen Margarthe's choosing the tiaras she gave to her daughters-in-law. Alexandra got quite an imposing tiara yet she was the wife of the the second son. Marie received a beautiful diamond tiara yet she is the second wife of the second son. Mary who is crown princess received IMHO an insignificant-looking tiara for her wedding. When she is with the other CP's of Europe and wears the wedding tiara, it looks very sparse and not suited to her position as the wife of the heir to the throne. Just wondered if others on the board could enlighten me.

:previous: Mary, upon marriage, acquired the use of the Désirée diamond and ruby parure which remains one of Europe's finest. The parure was bequeathed to Frederik as was the expressed wish of the late Queen Mother Ingrid.

Mary is also the only European Crown Princess with a parure reserved for her sole use.

The Crown Princess's wedding tiara is her personal property. It was a wedding gift from the Queen and Prince Consort and as such, belongs to her personally. Should Mary and Frederik divorce (and we certainly hope that never happens), then Mary would henceforth relinquish all use of the parure and Crown property (if she were Queen at the time), and be left only with the personal items she has either bought or received. Being the mother of a future King, it is entirely appropriate that Mary should establish her own jewellery collection beyond that of the state's.

It's understandable, imo, that the wedding tiara is smaller as Mary has the use of the ruby parure and stands to inherit the exclusive use of foundation and crown jewellery in years to come.

Princess Marie's tiara is a loan and thus, is still owned by the Queen but is worn by Marie with regnal consent.

As for Alexandra's tiara, the Queen evidently learnt from this misguided judgement which would explain why Marie was not gifted a tiara from the royal collection (as was the case with Alexandra) but instead is allowed the permanent use of one. This arrangement was confirmed by the court and ensures that the tiara does not leave the royal family.

Last edited:
I recently saw these two photos of The Crown Princess with two brooches I've never seen before on another board. Unfortunately, the poster didn't know anything about them, so I was wondering if somebody here might know something.
Here they are:
Photo 1
Photo 2

Bobby

^ I know nothing about these brooches, but thanks for bringing them on. The 1st one is really ugly. :ninja:

Does anyone know anything about the necklace that CP Mary has worn recently? It's a long chain, has a circle at the end of it, looks to have something hanging off the circle (forgive me, I really am not good at describing jewelry).

Here's a link to a pic of her wearing it at the opening of parliament this year:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/Folketingsabning2011#5659618189667690850.

I really like this necklace and I've seen pics of her wearing it several times.

Does anyone know anything about the necklace that CP Mary has worn recently? It's a long chain, has a circle at the end of it, looks to have something hanging off the circle (forgive me, I really am not good at describing jewelry).

Here's a link to a pic of her wearing it at the opening of parliament this year:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/Folketingsabning2011#5659618189667690850.

I really like this necklace and I've seen pics of her wearing it several times.

This is from Marianne Dulong. She also wore it to NYC 2007 Creative Nation trip.
Danish Royal Watchers: Frederik & Mary on day 4 of Creative Nation mission in NYC
You can click on pictures to enlarge them.

The top large circle is set with diamonds. The smaller circle is just plain gold and from it dangles a Tahitian pearl.

You can get a similar one on the Dulong website, although the diamonds have spaces between them:
Marianne Dulong Webshop

Princess Mary also has a smaller and shorter version of the necklace:
Danish Royal Watchers: Mary @ the Christmas Seal 2007

The small size is available on the Dulong website without diamonds:
Marianne Dulong Webshop

Or you can go do your local craft store that sells jewelry-making supplies and make one for yourself. I did! It's not an exact match, b ut I've gotten lots of compliments on it.

Thank you, Ayvee and RubyPrincess168, for the information! My sister makes necklaces. I may have to see if she can fashion me one!

These are gorgeous pieces of jewelry. What really strikes me is the simplicity. I'm not a fan of huge and gaudy-looking pieces, and these are plain and speak for themselves.

Mary wore what seems to be a new bracelet in New York. (photo on Belga) to post. It is in the fashion she favors. Small gold with diamonds.Its OK IMO, of course I would need to wear 5 of them...hehe!

Very pretty bracelet. Very feminine and dainty, I think.

Nope, but they´re beautiful! Love the green stone matched with black. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember this fabulous brooch Mary wore on Flag Day. Can anyone place it?

Indvielse af Monument for Danmarks Internationale Indsats - Marie og Mary markerer flagdagen på Kastellet

Princess Mary wore the complete outfit (lace blouse and skirt from Heartmade) last April 9, 2010 at the opening of an art exhibit celebrating QMII's birthday:
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

On HQ photos from that event, the brooch actually looks like it's made from gold metallic fabric and mimics the design of the lace. I'm not sure if the black coat is also from Heartmade. I don't think it has ever been identified, but the gold spray brooch may actually be part of the black coat.

They remind of earrings from Ralph Lauren's Fall/Winter 2011 fashion show. Similar but not an exact match.
Spring 2012 - RalphLauren.com

Does anyone agree that Mary should have worn her ruby tiara instead of that small one on her wedding day?

It looked like she did'nt wear one!

Or maybe Queen Margrethe's wedding tiara?

Does anyone agree that Mary should have worn her ruby tiara instead of that small one on her wedding day?

It looked like she did'nt wear one!

Or maybe Queen Margrethe's wedding tiara?

Mary's tiara was stunning and anything else would have overshadowed the dress and Mary's smile. :)

Well,she does have a beautiful face!

Still,I doubt a larger tiara would overshadow her whole look,like other royal brides!

Do royal brides normally wear tiaras with colored stones on their wedding day? I think it's traditional to wear "white" stones i.e. diamonds or pearls, but I could be wrong. The only recent wedding I can think of where a bride wore a different type of tiara was Princess Victoria who wore the Swedish cameo tiara, but it's traditional for Swedish royal brides to wear that on their wedding day, I believe.

I never thought about that Baroness.I have no idea if a royal bride wore a ruby tiara.But,maybe Mary would be diffierent if she did wear a ruby tiara!

The ruby parure tiara is not something i'd consider to be bride worthy.

Her wedding tiara was perfect for the occasion when reflecting upon size, design, and colouration of stones.

Last edited:
Mary seems to have a different ring on today. Can one of my experts help with photos?

I actually like this one and think it suits Mary's coloring very nicely.

Wow! That tiara looks gorgeous on Mary.

I too love it! It's modern with references to antique wreath tiaras. Size and colouring suite Mary very well. And of course the wattle flower reference to Mary's Australian background is a lovely homage to her. It's a very unusual tiara, and I'm also glad that it's not her only one. But imo the midnight tiara is a gorgeous addition to her other too tiaras. So she has three very different tiaras at her disposition.

ew... I don't like the midnight tiara. It too modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom