The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
great inforamtion anybody has photos to go with the inventory? it would be much apreciate it1
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...e/05a9891f.jpg "Diamond Floral Aigrette Tiara"
http://i.c.dk/pics/0/6/0/34060/org.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/185...nxgduphhu3.jpg "(Orange-Nassau) Pearl Tiara"
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...e/c04350cb.jpg "Baden Palmette Tiara"
http://www.slaikjaer.org/turjew2.jpg "Turquise Tiara"
http://www.slaikjaer.org/marglightflowtiara1.jpg "Floral Tiara" - now loaned to Princess Marie
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...taffel07_3.jpg "Emerald Tiara" - part of the Crown jewels
http://i42.tinypic.com/296jdl0.jpg

Old 03-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Courtier

I like Baden Palmette Tiara a lot. It would look good on Princess Mary.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Gala March 2009
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/13060396.jpg
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/13060266.jpg
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/13060249.jpg

I don't like the tiara hairdo. This tiara somehow just doesn't look good in loose hair.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Royal Highness

I agree. The tiara looks better when she puts up her hair. She should reserve the loose hair for the ruby tiara.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
She should reserve the loose hair for the ruby tiara.
.... and even the Ruby Tiara looks better with an updo hairdo, Imo.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I know I've said it before but Mary needs a new tiara. She looks lovely, don't get me wrong, but her tiara needs more diamonds or something. Where is the sparkle?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
I know I've said it before but Mary needs a new tiara. She looks lovely, don't get me wrong, but her tiara needs more diamonds or something. Where is the sparkle?
Unfortunately it is not likely that she will get another tiara to wear before she becomes queen. They are not likely to purchase another one imo.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I dont mind this tiara when she wore it as a necklace but it just doesnt look great as a tiara either with loose hair or with it up. Maries' flower tiara is far nicer and stands out more but Mary's wedding tiara just disappears

Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness

I love how she looks so casual at a formal event, like she didn't spend time worrying about what to wear. It's like she decided at the last moment "I'll wear this dress again, brush my hair and put a tiara on - ready to go!".
Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
It looks like a historic piece to me, not a contemporay tiara. Does anyone know what period it might be from?
It's definitely late 19th century, when the convertible necklace/tiaras were en vogue. Probably within the range of 1870-1910, but further than that it is difficult to say.

Auctions are not the only way to purchase such jewellery, though. Of course the RF would have agents to make bids and purchase things for them, but there are also many dealers in antique jewellery who have tiaras in their inventories. Also, many jewellers keep antique pieces for sale as well (Cartier, Garrard, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I dont mind this tiara when she wore it as a necklace but it just doesnt look great as a tiara either with loose hair or with it up. Maries' flower tiara is far nicer and stands out more but Mary's wedding tiara just disappears
Yeah I have to say it's a bit annoying that Marie's diamonds are more impressive than Mary's. Marie really did get very lucky being allowed to wear that floral tiara; it's one of the best in the collection in my opinion. I suppose Mary's ruby parure (and the fact that she'll be getting use of the rest of the queen's collection) is some consolation.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for this helpful estimation.
It think that it was probably bought directly from a dealer. If it were bought in an auction other people are likely to have seen there and we would have heard more about it. Please note: these are only my personal speculations.
I have to admit that I am a bit obsessed with the historical aspect of the tiara.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Royal Highness

As I understand it, Mary's bridal tiara is an antique piece made in 1910 and purchased by her parents-in-law. I do think it is a very pretty, delicate piece, and that she wears it beautifully. It does have some nice sized collet diamonds on it and it makes a lovely necklace as well. I think that on the one hand it is nice that a new tiara was purchased that will remain with the Danish Royal Family--it has become a new and tangible piece of history. But, I just find it annoying that the Crown Princess, who only has two tiaras (one her own, one at her disposal as CP) did not get the opportunity to wear that floral tiara. It is one of the best in the collection and would suit the Crown Princess quite well. I know the ruby parue is amazing--really and truly, it is the best set of rubies around and she looks exquisite in it. But, she really needs a more substantial tiara. Again, I think that QMII should have bought Marie a tiara and given it to her outright--just like she gave Alexandra the Alexandrine tiara. If I were Marie, I'd be irritated that I only get to "borrow" a tiara. Something about this whole tiara business doesn't set well.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Royal Highness

I don't think the Danish RF has the funds to buy a new fantastic diamond dripping tiara, as they are one of the less wealthy RF's in Europe. I think that since the Royals are marrying out no new diamonds are coming in. Queen Ingrid brought to the Danish RF quite a bit, and CPSS Maertha of Norway also brought with her the most substantial peices in the Norweigiane royal coffers, Yet as of the last generation, the same peices have been circulating around, as no new royals are entering the royal families, so in reality more people have to make do with the same amount of jewels.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Courtier

Denmark lost a lot when Margarethe's sisters married out too. Like any mother, Ingrid divided up her jewels to her daughters. Plus any royal buying new jewels now would be criticised loudly. There are many tiaras that are beautiful and do not cost a great deal of money. While the Danes are not as rich as other royal houses, I do think they could buy one or two more.

I also love Mary's new heart pendant she wore in Miami at Fred's sailing regatta. I read somewhere that it is by Georg Jensen (on another board I think), it's simple.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100 View Post
I also love Mary's new heart pendant she wore in Miami at Fred's sailing regatta. I read somewhere that it is by Georg Jensen (on another board I think), it's simple.
That was me who posted that on CPMMB, I've seen the pendant in a magazine on my flight back from Copenhagen last week, it was available in gold, platin and silver.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I don't think the Danish RF has the funds...
Good point. It is one of the major problems with marrying regular people. Princesses bring pieces from their own family collections, and heiresses at least have the money to purchase new ones. Tow things, though:

I think it is quite possible that Princess Marie will ultimately inherit this tiara (if the marriage works out). With a history of divorce from her second son, Margarethe could be playing it safe at this point. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if it eventually became hers once Frederick becomes king or at some other significant point.

Mary's tiara, while very nice and an antique, probably doesn't have a particularly interesting provenence. It's size alone pretty much tells me that although it belonged to a wealthy person, it is most likely not royal in origin. At the time it was made, the trend was for women of rank to wear as large of tiaras as they could afford (and stand to carry around on their heads). The trend for small tiaras does not begin until another decade after this piece was made, and clearly is one that we have see continue to this day. However, I love that the tiara is small and delicate, which gives mary the option of looking sort of casually-royal (as with her hair down in March), or entirely parured as she can with the much larger tiara and rubies.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...orum/610x5.jpg nice earrings 22 march day one of USA trip

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...orum/610x5.jpg nice earrings 22 march day one of USA trip
Yes, the earrings are very pretty and especially when they move. Princess Mary also has the matching ring and necklace. All from Georg Jensen Savannah collection.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Princess Mary wearing the Ruby Parure (Ruby Tiara, large version of the Ruby earrings and necklace) for new official Portraits

Picture from Royals

More:
http://royals.web-log.nl/photos/unca...7/official.jpg

Old 03-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Royal Highness

The ruby parure is simply beautiful and I enjoy to see such a detailed picture of it. Mary wears it beautifully!

Tags
crown princess mary, denmark, jewellery