The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Courtier

I believe I'm the only one who thinks this set is ugly . It's nice from an artistic view, to admire the workmaship, but not to actually to wear.
Does the set belong to the Queen or is this a gift from W.A. to Maxima?

Also does the House of Orange have Amethyst jewels? Sweden and Great Britain have stunning sets.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Royal Highness

I think that CP Maxima's necklace was really beautiful, and she wore it quite well with her simple gown--there was also a matching bracelet, too. The whole ensemble worked for her. It is nice to sometimes see impressive jewels other than diamonds and I like the tutti-frutti design on her.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Royal Highness

I have seen the Princess with matching earrings and bracelet, so I think a whole set has been purchased. Probably a gift of the Prince to his spouse. She looks like a person to me who can appreciate these unusual designs.

For so far I know the House of Orange-Nassau has no sets with amethysts. An explanation can be that diamonds, sapphires, rubies , emeralds and pearls were not only the most expensive jewels but also that the first three symbolize the national colours red, white and blue.

There is an aquamarine set indeed. And a growing set of turquoises and orange diamonds, which are still waiting to have more items added. There has been a wonderful diademe of diamonds with camées, the same material as Queen Silvia of Sweden's wedding diademe. Its whereabouts are unknown for me. I would not mind an amethyst set anyway. It should not be a too big problem for the Prince to purchase such a set for his spouse.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100 Is there anyone who has a closeup of the Green ring Maxima wore when there was the photocall with her family recently?
It is the photoshoot for Princess Ariane's second birthday. She is wearing it on her right hand. Any closeups would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:55 AM
Royal Highness

Comparison of the two Cartier necklaces

The one is the more polished Cartier Tutti Frutti necklace worn by Daisy Fellowes.

The other is the necklace worn by Princess Máxima of the Netherlands, in a setting with more rough cut stones.

The comparison was made on the RWJMB: see here.

This comparison learns that the Princess' necklace absolutely is a Cartier indeed, from their Tutti Frutti line.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Agreed Henri, Máxima's necklace is 100% a Cartier Tutti Frutti, there is no denying it Gorgeous necklace - would love to have it
Old 09-04-2007, 04:32 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

But what stones did they use for this tutti fruti necklace? Semi-precious ones I presume?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:59 AM
Aristocracy

New necklace it´s amazing!

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5456/collarsh3.jpg

Spanish-speaking forum about royalty- Unete!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
But what stones did they use for this tutti fruti necklace? Semi-precious ones I presume?
I think precious and semi-precious stones. The Daisy Fellowes necklace is clearly made with sapphires, diamonds, rubies and emeralds, the most expensive stones.

Princess Máxima's necklace, however in exactly the same design, contains other materials. But still I bet the firma Cartier de Paris will have sent a big fat bill to The Hague....

Old 09-04-2007, 06:37 AM
Courtier

I absolutely loved the jewelry she wore this past weekend. I wish I had some Tuttifruitti! She looked fabulous!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 AM
Nobility

Is Maxima's new necklace based on Egyptian Revival styles? I adore that genre; the only other "royal" piece I can think that has this kind of design is the scarab necklace that belonged to Margaret of Connaught (that Princess Lillian of Sweden now wears).

What lovely necklaces! Kudos to Maxima!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
The one is the more polished Cartier Tutti Frutti necklace worn by Daisy Fellowes.
Thanks for the close-up.
You know, when looking only at the necklace, it's not as ugly. That garish neon pink gown distracts the eye.
Is there a close-up of the bracelet and is there a picture of the earrings?
Is this "Tutti Frutti" line vintage? If so you probably looking at a Million$ worth of jewelry!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

I really don´t think this necklace is worth a million euros. Not even 10.000 euros I think. The stones are really not that special and I doubt that the Prince of Orange or Maxima herself has so much money in their pocket to indulge in these things. And if they can indulge I would hope they would have bought a more usefull piece. For millions one could buy the Paridot Parure of Archduchess Isabella for example.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Royal Highness

It will be very expensive anyway / and yes it is vintage

From the Herald Trbune January 10th 2006 on a Cartier exposition:

"Those pieces include a fresh version of the colorful "Tutti Frutti" necklace and a platinum "Chimère" bracelet, set with emeralds and sapphires, in which the mythical beast wraps round the wrist in a miracle of craftsmanship that required 2,000 hours of work."

The Tutti Frutti line by Cartier was created in the 1920's and is, at present, a registered trademark of the famous jeweller.

The stones may be rather mediocre, it is the unbelievable amount of work, and of course the name Cartier, which will make it expensive enough to send a nice bill to Madame la Princesse d'Orange, La Haye.

I have seen Tutti Frutti earrings for sale for some € 11.000,-- (appr. $ 15,000.--) so we may be sure the set (collier, bracelet and earrings) will cost at least around € 35.000,-- (appr. $ 48,000.--), depending in the materials.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

But didn´t the Herald Tribune write about the Tutti Frutti necklace, with the sapphires etc, not to Maxima´s necklace. I assume the stones in Maxima´s necklace would be much easier to shape than real emeralds, sapphires etc and thus it would take less hours and less money. But I know next to nothing of tutti-frutti stuff, give me real diamonds any day
Old 09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

I like the colours of Princess Maxima's necklace a lot better than than the Daisy Fellowes one, even if the latter IS made of precious stones. I wonder if Maxima's necklace is made mostly of tourmaline; it's an unusual colour, even for semi-precious stones.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Here's a scan of the cover of the Cartier Exhibition booklet showing the Daisy Fellowes' Cartier Tutti Frutti necklace, created in 1936.
It is made of platinum, briolet-sapphires, carved emeralds, sapphires, rubies, emerald beads, and diamonds.

The Tutti Frutti style is something you either like, or don't. I viewed this necklace up close in Sydney and wasn't impressed; others, however, oohed and aahed.
The ear-pendants (platinum, gold, carved emeralds, enamel beads, and diamonds) have a bit more style.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Thank you for posting that dinoscorp. Between 340.000 and 360.000 euro, that is expensive indeed! The set is rather different from what they have now so it actually adds something to the collection, but personally I prefer more classical stuff. However, the necklace suits Maxima and her personality perfectly.

Welcome at TRF by the way, I hope you will enjoy your time here.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoscorp
...my brother is a goldsmith and stonesetter at Cartier Paris...The set worn by Maxima was valued by my brother between 340.000 and 360.000 euro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoscorp View Post
And according to my brother we might have another surprise within the near future regarding Maxima's jewelry...
Is Cartier Paris aware that your brother is breaching the confidentiality of their private clients?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Nobility

Were dinoscorp's messages deleted? I could have sworn I read them this morning?

Not a criticism, just a question.

Tags
jewellery, maxima, princess maxima