The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
Countess Ruth also has an opal tiara, which she inherited from "Princess" Viggo. She (Ruth) had it changed if I remember correctly, but she doesn't wear it often.

I take it that the cameo tiara you're referring to is the one from the lava parure ??

Viv
I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with the names people use for Countess Ruth's parures. The only picture I have seen is a black-and-white of the countess in a parure in Napoleonic style, with oval carved plaques which appear to be some type of cameo or intaglio. If it is some sort of lava rock or glass, that's it for sure.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

This may help. Here's a pic of Countess Ruth wearing a tiara, accompanied by Tim Laurence (Princess Anne's husband), Oslo, February 2007.

Countess Ruth af Rosenborg with tiara

Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is a tiara which belonged before to Princess Viggo.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
This is a tiara which belonged before to Princess Viggo.
Indeed ! It is a kokoshnik- style tiara, and the red stones are probably garnets, according to the Danish RF jewellery expert.

I've checked my sources for an inventory list of tiaras belonging so countess Ruth; so far I've come up with five:

1. Garnet kokoshnik tiara, ca. 1930. Provenance: Princess Viggo
2. Turqoise & diamond star tiara. Provenance: (Swedish court)-Princess Ingeborg - Princess Margaretha
3. Diamond tiara. France ca. 1885? -Provenance: Princess Marie (Orleans)-Princess Margaretha
4. Opal tiara, France ca. 1885. Provenance: Princess Marie (Orleans) -
Prince Viggo, for the use of future bride. Princess Viggo had the spray- style tiara dismantled and remade into a smaller tiara and necklace.
5. The cameo tiara from the lava paprure.
Allegedly an heirloom from Queen Desirée of Sweden; it somehow ended up in Denmark as via Princess Margaretha. She gave it to Prince Georg, her elder son, who was married to Anne Bowes-Lyon. Princess Anne wore this unusual tiara from time to other, but I haven't seen it worn in recent times. Prince Georg survived his wife and bequeathed the tiara to countess Ruth.

Viv
Old 07-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks and fine thread, Viv.
Imagine Queen Alexandrine's jewelry which was important equally split and given to her two sons, that means that the Danish minor royals have more jewelry than the Queen's close family.( I don't speak about the Rosenberg castle's jewels).
Countess Ruth heritage is important because Viggo and Georg had no children. It is great that Countess Ruth never sold them. The only tiara they sold in the Paris auction was a tiara with glass-stones instead of diamants.
I bought when I visited Amalienburg the book : Juvelerne I det Danske Kongehus by
Barne Steen Jensen. Altough I may not read danish the pictures I understand the pictures.

Anne Boyes-Lyon , niece of the Queen Mother Eisabeth, was the mother of the late famous Count Patrick Lichfield and his sister Countess Anson. I am sure they have jewelry from their mother but perhaps not the Danish ones.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
3. Diamond tiara. France ca. 1885? -Provenance: Princess Marie (Orleans)-Princess Margaretha
Is Nr. 3 the big diamond loop tiara which was often worn by Pricness Margaretha? If yes this one was sold by the descendants of Prince Georg according to a poster on the Royal Jewels MB some time ago.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Is Nr. 3 the big diamond loop tiara which was often worn by Pricness Margaretha? If yes this one was sold by the descendants of Prince Georg according to a poster on the Royal Jewels MB some time ago.
According to DRF jewellery expert Bjarne Steen Jensen there were (at least) two diamonond tiaras from the estate of Princess Viggo. There was a loop tiara, which was left to count Flemming/countess Ruth and there was a "scroll" tiara (IMO the best description), which Princess Viggo had commissioned as late as 1957 at the Dragsted royal jewellers in Copenhagen. This scroll tiara was bequathed to Prince Georg/princess Anne. According to BSJ this tiara was worn by Lady Elizabeth Anson, the daugther of Princess Anne, at her wedding in 1972. I suppose it would have been a straight forward matter for Prince Georg to leave this tiara to this stepdaugther!

Kind regards

Viv
Old 07-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Imagine Queen Alexandrine's jewelry which was important equally split and given to her two sons, that means that the Danish minor royals have more jewelry than the Queen's close family.
Absolutely! The Prince Knud-line of the family has some interesting jewellery! The problem is that they get less and less opportunity to wear it!

Quote:
Countess Ruth heritage is important because Viggo and Georg had no children. It is great that Countess Ruth never sold them. The only tiara they sold in the Paris auction was a tiara with glass-stones instead of diamants.
Lol! Princess Viggo had a bad habit of using fakes in some of her tiaras!. However the "scroll" tiara mentioned in a my previous post was actually remade with real stones! How about that! You'll find a photo of this tiara of page 133 of BSJ's book. The loop tiara is on p 134-135.

Quote:
I bought when I visited Amalienburg the book : Juvelerne I det Danske Kongehus by Barne Steen Jensen. Altough I may not read danish the pictures I understand the pictures.
Wow! I'm impressed! However you're always welcome to ask for a translation or explanation!

I'm just wondering whether Countess Ruth still has the lava parure. According to BSJ she does, however I have never seen her wearing it. BSJ is striving to be accurate, but he may not have the gospel truth in this case. Countess Ruth is not credited in the foreword for volunteering any information, and she's hardly the type you barge in on and ask! Then again, she's got one daughter and three daugthers- in- law. Maybe she's saving the tiaras for them? I saw that her four children and their spouses were in Oslo for the 70th birthday of King Harald, however they were placed in the back row of the family photograph, and it was very difficult to distinguish the tiaras.

Kind regards
Viv
Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Let's go for broke - three tiaras in one pic!

Georg, Axel & Fleming and Anne, Margaretha & Ruth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Georg, Axel, Fleming & Anne, Margaretha & Ruth c1953.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	281682  
Old 07-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Let's go for broke - three tiaras in one pic!
Georg, Axel & Fleming and Anne, Margaretha & Ruth
Two parents, two sons and two daughters- in- law; all gone, except for countess Ruth!

Princess Anne is wearing the turquoise and diamond star tiara now belonging to Ruth.
Princess Margaretha is wearing the circle diamond & pearl tiara, now belonging to her niece Princess Ragnhild, Mrs. Lorenzen.

The Countess Ruth is wearing a (diamond?) tiara, which was to be inherited by the brother of Margaretha, Prince Carl Bernadotte (Jr.) (1911-2003), one of the many Swedish princes losing his royal style and privileges due to an unequal marriage. He was granted a princely title by the Belgian King Leopold, but that's a different story. Carl was married three times and had one daugther; who knows what happened to the tiara?

Viv
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Madeleine , Prince Carl Bernadotte's only child married first the Belgian Count Ullens de Schooten. It should be interesting to find pictures of their wedding.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Madeleine , Prince Carl Bernadotte's only child married first the Belgian Count Ullens de Schooten. It should be interesting to find pictures of their wedding.
Thanks Maria-Olivia, I should have known better !
The Ullens de Schootens occasionally turn up at Scandinavian RF events!
Viv
Old 03-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Majesty

as she passed away q while ago, do you think we will se her jewllery again? at what event could they pop up
Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
as she passed away q while ago, do you think we will se her jewllery again? at what event could they pop up
We wuill see them probably at big danish royal EVents. For example at the Theatre-Gala for Queen Margrethe's 70th birthday last year countess Jutta wore the turqiose star-tiara.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Aristocracy

Try this link for the Turqoise & diamond star tiara
Danish Queen, Norwegian Royals Attend Friend’s Funeral « Royalty in the News
Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Courtier

A the Royal Weddings Message Board, Danjel posted an image of Count Carl Johan of Rosenborg and Sidsel Lykke Nielsen - The bride is wearing a very pretty diamond and emerald pendant that must have been once a part of the emerald necklace that is now in Norway( the diamond motifs look identical to the one on QSonja's pendant). Is there any photo of Countess Ruth wearing this pendant?Royal Weddings Message Board: Back in time, september part 1
Old 11-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Wow! some great old & probably rare photos here. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Majesty

thanks to Mia at Royal Jewels of the World

she has found out that a rosenborg tiara is for sale in stockholm
An important diamond kokoshnik style tiara and diamond rivière, tot. app 40 cts. Dragsted, Copenhagen 1930's. Platina and 18k gold, set with drop cut garnets and old cu.... - The Spring Classic Sale, Stockholm 568
Old 11-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Rosenborg Kokoshnik

I really love this tiara. I love the garnets, the kokoshnik design, and the pearls. The design of this tiara is just elegant and beautiful. The necklace is also very stunning. This tiara is simply beautiful.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
Countess Ruth has 6-7 tiaras? I've only ever seen four at the most (including one of the few cameo tiaras). I also always thought that she had one tiara which could be altered to have different motifs along the top, meaning that I've really only ever seen her in three tiaras:
1) Diamond tiara with interchangeable motif
2) Kokoshnik Ruby (?) tiara
3) Cameo tiara
Here is picture of the Kokoshnik tiara
Vurderet til mere end en million: Rosenborg-diadem under hammeren - Royale | www.bt.dk

Tags
countess, denmark, jewellery, rosenborg, ruth