The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Over the years that Sophie has been a member of the royal family - we have been watching her jewelry collection and yes it is not to royal scratch. So either the royal collection doesn't loan out as much as they could or Sophie simply doesn't like jewelry.
I don't believe the Royal Collection actually loan out jewellery to Sophie. I think what she has, she has received (largely) from the Queen as presents. Whilst her jewel collection may not be very large, I think it is adequte in view of her stature in the royal family.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps she should have a modest diamond suite that will go with all her evening wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I don't believe the Royal Collection actually loan out jewellery to Sophie. I think what she has, she has received (largely) from the Queen as presents. Whilst her jewel collection may not be very large, I think it is adequte in view of her stature in the royal family.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Courtier

Sophie should have more jewellrey. Its very unfair on her, she's doing a great job for the RF
Old 11-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Royal Highness

I do think that the precedence Queen Mary set with regard to passing down immense amounts of jewelry is not going to be seen from Her Majesty because so many of those pieces were sold or broken up. However, I do think that personal pieces will make their way to Anne, Andrew, and Edward. Some pieces of personal jewelry that we will likely see passed down to HM's younger children would be:
1. engagement ring of HM
2. Engagement bracelet of HM
3. aquamarine twin brooches of HM
4. Flower basket (18th birthday gift one, not the one given to her when Charles was born)
5. various pearl necklaces
6. various brooches not given to her in a royal capacity
7. the sapphire flower clips
8. perhaps the sapphire necklace her father gave her with that sapphire tiara will be passed to Edward
9. Possibly the ruby tiara with the ruby necklace she acquired at auction in the 1960's
10. scroll tiara
11. Queen's fifth anniversary bracelet from Phillip with the interlocking "p's" and "e's"

Just to get started--
I do think that since Edward has a son, assuring the title will pass, that HM will leave some lovely jewelry to the Wessexes. As Andrew's title will likely revert back to the crown, we likely won't see any major pieces pass to him. Anne already has several family pieces (necklace of Queen Alexandra's, Princess Andrew's meander tiara, pine flower tiara that was an anniversary gift to the Queen Mother, etc...) so while I think some pieces will go to her, she already has several pieces and in all truth, none of her children will ever really have need of tiaras. I hope that the Greek key isn't broken apart one day.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Royal Highness

I agree that Edward will probably get the better pieces. He will inherit his father's title of Duke of Edinburough upon his death, and since Edward has a son, it will pass to a third generation. Thus I think it would be likely, and lovely, if some of the pieces more closely associated with Prince Phillip and Queen Elizabeth II were passed on to the future Dukes of Edinburough. Plus, isn't Edward supposed to be the Queen's favorite child?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I agree that Edward will probably get the better pieces. He will inherit his father's title of Duke of Edinburough upon his death, and since Edward has a son, it will pass to a thrid generation. Thus I think it would be likely, and lovely, if some of the pieces more closely associated with Prince Phillip and Queen Elizabeth II were passed on to the future Dukes of Edinburough. Plus, isn't Edward supposed to be the Queen's favorite child?
No, Andrew was the love child, the one she fought to have, Edward is meant to be Philip's favourite acc. to a biography I read. Yet I think Edward is the one who has given the Queen the least greif during his adult years and marriage, and the one who has the most stability.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Administrator

He won't become Duke of Edinburgh until Charles becomes King. When Prince Philip dies the Dukedom will pass to Charles as the eldest son. When Charles succeeds his mother the Dukedom of Edinburgh reverts to the Crown. Then Charles can re-create it as a new Dukedom for Edward.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Over the years that Sophie has been a member of the royal family - we have been watching her jewelry collection and yes it is not to royal scratch. So either the royal collection doesn't loan out as much as they could or Sophie simply doesn't like jewelry.
I think you might be right. Sophie doesn't seem to like jewels, she is very understated which is fine for her, but I would be bugging my mother in law to death. Please let me borrow some emeralds, rubies, diamonds, etc....ect...ect....
Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Perhaps she should have a modest diamond suite that will go with all her evening wear.
I think that will be a valuable and useful addition. I am no doubt the Queen is aware of the hole in Sophie's jewel box, and will no doubt fill it at some stage, either in herlifetime or thereafter.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I do think that the precedence Queen Mary set with regard to passing down immense amounts of jewelry is not going to be seen from Her Majesty because so many of those pieces were sold or broken up. However, I do think that personal pieces will make their way to Anne, Andrew, and Edward. Some pieces of personal jewelry that we will likely see passed down to HM's younger children would be:
1. engagement ring of HM
2. Engagement bracelet of HM
3. aquamarine twin brooches of HM
4. Flower basket (18th birthday gift one, not the one given to her when Charles was born)
5. various pearl necklaces
6. various brooches not given to her in a royal capacity
7. the sapphire flower clips
8. perhaps the sapphire necklace her father gave her with that sapphire tiara will be passed to Edward
9. Possibly the ruby tiara with the ruby necklace she acquired at auction in the 1960's
10. scroll tiara
11. Queen's fifth anniversary bracelet from Phillip with the interlocking "p's" and "e's"

Just to get started--
I do think that since Edward has a son, assuring the title will pass, that HM will leave some lovely jewelry to the Wessexes. As Andrew's title will likely revert back to the crown, we likely won't see any major pieces pass to him. Anne already has several family pieces (necklace of Queen Alexandra's, Princess Andrew's meander tiara, pine flower tiara that was an anniversary gift to the Queen Mother, etc...) so while I think some pieces will go to her, she already has several pieces and in all truth, none of her children will ever really have need of tiaras. I hope that the Greek key isn't broken apart one day.
Thats a very interesting list, J, and I tend to agree that most of the items you have listed could be left to the Wessex, York and Philips children (/ Princess Anne). Most of the items you have listed are personal in nature, and either came from Philip or her parents, and thereforre, would hold sentimental value for the children.

Where I do disagree with you is in regard to the George VI sapphire suite and matching tiara and the ruby necklace acquired in the 1960s from the Barings family and the ruby tiara (are you referring to the Burmese ruby tiara?). I think these are both "substantial" pieces, and as you quite rightly suggested, having watched the impact of Queen Mary's bequests, HM would be disinclined to follow suit. The Queen is no doubt aware that that is the only sapphire tiara her successor will possess, and is unlikely to want to part with it. Similarly, whilst there is a slightly bigger choice when it came to rubies, I doubt she is likely to part with those and reduce choice further. The children will no doubt receive substantial assets and cash, but I doubt if it will extend to serious jewels.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Royal Highness

I hesitated to put those pieces (the sapphries and rubies) on the list, but ended up doing so because they are personal pieces. I think it is highly unlikely that the sapphire suite will ever be taken out of the collection and will most likely be the set that she leaves for longevity. The rubies I put on there because the necklace isn't a family piece, but an auction piece (beautiful though it is, Queen Victoria's is much nicer), and the ruby tiara is also questionable. I don't care for it, but HM does so she may want to leave it to the crown as well.
The Wessexes do have two tiaras (the aquamarine and the diamond element)--and I do think that HM will leave Sophie a more substantial one. I just dont' know which one it will be! That's why I threw the rubies and sapphires on the list. The scroll is always a possibility, but we've not yet seen it......

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

But having a son is not guaranting that the pieces will stay in the Family as we can see at the example of the Duke of Kent.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
No, Andrew was the love child, the one she fought to have, Edward is meant to be Philip's favourite acc. to a biography I read. Yet I think Edward is the one who has given the Queen the least greif during his adult years and marriage, and the one who has the most stability.
What do you mean saying that Andrew is "the one she fought to have"?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I hesitated to put those pieces (the sapphries and rubies) on the list, but ended up doing so because they are personal pieces. I think it is highly unlikely that the sapphire suite will ever be taken out of the collection and will most likely be the set that she leaves for longevity. The rubies I put on there because the necklace isn't a family piece, but an auction piece (beautiful though it is, Queen Victoria's is much nicer), and the ruby tiara is also questionable. I don't care for it, but HM does so she may want to leave it to the crown as well.
The Wessexes do have two tiaras (the aquamarine and the diamond element)--and I do think that HM will leave Sophie a more substantial one. I just dont' know which one it will be! That's why I threw the rubies and sapphires on the list. The scroll is always a possibility, but we've not yet seen it......
You are right in that the rubies don't have a royal provenance, and if the Queen was looking to give a substantial piece of jewellery to another member of the family, they could be contenders.

I also agree with you that Sophie may receive a diamond tiara (and possiby a suite with it) at some stage. We may not know if she already has one, as she is rarely photographed at state banquets, being much further down the receiving line. That said, it is amazing how Princess Michael of Kent manages to make it to the pictures!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
That said, it is amazing how Princess Michael of Kent manages to make it to the pictures!
Bless her.
She dose her best to get in on the action.

Give the sappiers to sophie- then she can remodel the Tiara.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
Give the sappiers to sophie- then she can remodel the Tiara.
Well said! Please, let's do something with that tiara! It's a waste of stones.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well said! Please, let's do something with that tiara! It's a waste of stones.
Agree with doing something to the tiara, but not with giving it to Sophie!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Royal Highness

What color stones would look best on Sophie?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
What color stones would look best on Sophie?
She has some rubies and diamonds that look lovely on her. Pearls?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Aristocracy

Here they are:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...cs/6bk7af4.jpg

and redesigned:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...370_15849a.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...rewcs/0120.jpg

Tags
countess of wessex, jewellery, sophie, sophie countess of wessex