Countess of Wessex Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sophie's odd necklace

Hi,

Here is a photo from an engagement the Countess undertook last week it is an interesting necklace. But I can't make out any detail and such.

Attachments

• 557183f.jpg
    557183f.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 3,890
Can anyone ID this tiara? I never saw the Countess wear it before. This is from Prince Albert's enthronement in Monaco. From Getty Images.

Attachments

• 56239639.jpg
    56239639.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,211
I think this new Tiara with her own Wedding Tiara, and the one she wore at the Pre-Wedding Dinner of Prince Frederik, so they are totally 3, but i don't know if The Countess has some other tiaras or not. But this time , i really have to say The Countess looks really regal and elegant!Its a lovely Tiara, she has just worn it for the first time onthe Diplomatic Reception on Wednesday, i read on GREMB, maybe The Queen has just given out some more Tiaras for other ladies in her family.

Her new tiara looks absolutely fabuloues! Much better then the other two she has worn

HMQueenElizabethII said:
I think this new Tiara with her own Wedding Tiara, and the one she wore at the Pre-Wedding Dinner of Prince Frederik, so they are totally 3, but i don't know if The Countess has some other tiaras or not. But this time , i really have to say The Countess looks really regal and elegant!Its a lovely Tiara, she has just worn it for the first time onthe Diplomatic Reception on Wednesday, i read on GREMB, maybe The Queen has just given out some more Tiaras for other ladies in her family.

Warren must be in absolute transports of Joy!!! :D Four new tiaras in one month.

This one looks to be new, I wonder if Edward has designed it for Sophie and had it made up using the remnants of the Aquamarine Tiara from Princess Andrew that Sophie wore to the Danish Pre Wedding Gala?

This is a lovely tiara!! Much more better than her wedding one.

Oh and it seems the Countess has received a new order, the Royal order of Victoria something. This makes the Countess more like a royal now. The order really matches her lovely dress.

I dun think so Puppy;) , cause i think the Countess just received the Dame of the Most Venerable Order of St.John of Jerusalem at the beginning of November and its the Order of St John of Jerusalem i think so, not the Royal Victorian Order.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Countess is wearing the Order of St John. Sophie was decorated sometime ago I believe, so it isnt a new development.
I agree, this tiara is much more interesting to look at than that of her wedding.

"MII"

Looks like a brand-new one, along with earrings and pendant.

Sophie's new tiara isn't it one of Queen Mary's tiaras - with changed stones?

magnik said:
Sophie's new tiara isn't it one of Queen Mary's tiaras - with changed stones?

I don't think so, but it's possibly one from the vault somewhere that has been updated or redesigned.

Claire said:
I don't think that 'give' is the correct word. Both tiaras were 'loaned' to her by the Queen. And the other tiara was simply used so that she didn't have to wear the same tiara at both functions for the Danish Royal Wedding.

Technically, you're right, but the reality is once the Queen gives a tiara or piece of jewelry to a member of the royal family, it becomes their property permanently. Certain pieces of Queen Mary's jewels, for example, were sold eventually by The Duchess of Kent, The Queen Mother and The Earl of Harewood.

Protocol usually requires the jewels first be offered to the Sovereign, in case they wish to retain the pieces for the royal collection, but if they decline, they can be disposed of.

The tiara Sophie wore to the enthronement of Prince Albert II is possible the nicest British tiara I have ever seen. They are usually too much. Or like Sophie's previous two tiara's simply too plain. But this one is just right for my tastes. It is a pity we don't know more about it.

rop81 said:
Her new tiara looks absolutely fabuloues! Much better then the other two she has worn

Absolutely. This tiara works wonderfully with HRH's bone structure; symetrically fit to suit her delicate features. Of course, one cannot forget how stunning the jewels are in this piece.

Pics!

Originally posted by purple_platinum in the Wessex news & picture thread.
[necklace pic] HRH The Countess of Wessex arrives at the Banqueting House to attend a Royal Gala dinner in aid of Childline and Mission Enfance 8 March 2006.
Pic courtesy GOFF. Pic of Sophie wearing tiara (cropped photo) courtesy Corbis

Wessex diamond and aquamarine tiara

On its frame in tiara mode >
as necklace V
WessexTiaraNecklaceMar06.jpg
. . . .
WessexNewTiaracropped.jpg

Last edited:
Was this bought just for Sophie or is this one of the Queen's jewels? I've never seen it before Sophie wore it. I think this piece looks better as a tiara, that's just my personal taste though. As a necklace the aquamarine looks a little weird.

The center stone looks from what i can see detachable so hopefully in time may be replaced with an amythst or citrine as the aquamarine is a little transparent so a richer colour may look better when a necklace.

In did a lovely tiara, stay wonderful ate her... and better is than she can wear her in other way...!

I'm not sure if that's an aquarmarine in the necklace. It looks too light to be an aqua, although it could be the lighting or angle. It may be detachable and can be replaced.

The picture of the tiara definately has an aquamarine in the center, along with her earrings.

This is the third tiara she's worn, isn't it? She wore her wedding tiara and a button-type effort at the Danish wedding, but this one is different. Anyone have an idea of where it's from?

I know i am probably in the minority..but I prefer it as a necklace. Which is odd...since when I first saw it as a tiara it was WOW!

I would like to know if anyone can answer this question.

The queen is past years has given the royal victorian order to the Duchess' of Gloucester and Kent as well as Princess Alexandra. What is that order and has Sophie received it yet? As I rremember reading- the queen awarded this order to the above mentioned after 17 years of marriage or royal service?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks,

Linda 85

It is an aquamarine in the necklace.

And thank you Warren for finding the close-up of her wearing it as a necklace, and then as a tiara for Prince Albert's enthronement celebrations. :)

I agree Elspeth, it is the third tiara she has worn. I wish she would be given some of the more "important" ones from HM. Unlike many of the other queens, and ironic since HM has what appears to be the biggest collection of tiaras, state and personal collections-wise, she seems to be...holding back..on letting her daughters-in-law where them..with the exception, it seems, now of Camilla.

Just my observation and nothing else...:)

Last edited:
linda85 said:
I would like to know if anyone can answer this question.
That's the Royal Family Order, Linda. The Countess wore it for the first time when she attended Crown Prince Frederik's Wedding in 2004, and another time when she attended Prince Albert II's enthronement November 2005.Here is the link from Wikipedia will tell you more clear about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Family_Order

More tiaras

Elspeth said:
This is the third tiara she's worn, isn't it? She wore her wedding tiara and a button-type effort at the Danish wedding, but this one is different. Anyone have an idea of where it's from?
Nothing is known for sure. Speculation elsewhere held that Princess Alice, Prince Philip's mother, had a diamond and aquamarine parure which was left to, or found its way to, Prince Edward. Sophie's button tiara (pic below) is similar to the circular band of diamonds in Alice's aquamarine tiara (pic below). Not helping matters is the lack of any clear close-ups. The third tiara may have been made from resetting diamonds and one large aquamarine from the original parure.

It bears repeating this is entirely speculative. We do not know the provenance of any of the three tiaras worn by the Countess of Wessex.

Both pics courtesy Corbis.com

Princess Alice (Andrew)

BattenbergPrincessAliceDiamondAquam.jpg
. . . . . . . . . .
WessexButtonTiara.jpg
Countess of Wessex

Last edited:
The Queen has never been particularly generous with her jewels, which is ironic since she only wears a tiny fraction of what she possesses in her collection.

Diana received the Lover's Knot Tiara and the Art Deco choker with the Cambridge emeralds, but that was about it. Sarah received nothing from the royal collection and her tiara and diamond parure was newly purchased by The Queen as wedding gifts.

You can't fault her for foresight. She knows that Camilla is here to stay.

Her Majesty is very shrewd.

I was really suprised when the Queen gave Camilla two tiaras. And not small tiaras. These are huge with tones of big diamonds. It seems the Queen is getting less stingy in her old age. Which is good for us cause we need to wipe the dust off of the jewels in the vaults and display them. I just wish that the BRF would have a special page on their website that would list all the jewels the royals wear and the history behind them. That would be a big plus.

Yes I love seeing the old tiaras brought out again, it makes it so much more interesting! Sophie seemed to never wear anything except her wedding tiara until recently, but I really love the aquamarine one. I think it looks really gorgeous on her, and the colour of the stone is just perfect in my opinion. I can't wait to see what tiaras resurface when William get's married!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom