The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Her jewels are always very delicate and simple and this necklace is no exception.
I know nothing about this gold pin. I'm curious too. Does anyone have some info?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I still find it diffcult to believe that HM would let Sophie borrow a tiara from a jeweller for an event at which Sophie is representing the BRF
Given the fuss caused when Diana borrowed a necklace & earings from Collingwood jewellers for photo's ahead of her wedding I agree that HM would not countenance the borrowing of jewels commercially.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Majesty

would it be possible to turn her fringe necklace to a tiara?
Original images have been heavily cropped and are not subject to copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sophiewssexsweden.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	274753  
Old 08-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
would it be possible to turn her fringe necklace to a tiara?
Sophie has a fringe Necklace? Hmm I didn't know but I'm sure she could put it on a frame like most other fringes.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

^ That would be awesome indeed. I wish Sophie could have a tiara of her own - personally, I'd love to see her wear an emerald set!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I don't recall seeing Sophie wearing a fringe necklace. Josefine, would you have a picture, or anyone?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I don't recall seeing Sophie wearing a fringe necklace. Josefine, would you have a picture, or anyone?
She wore it at the Wedding of Victoria and Daniel.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Courtier

I thought that this necklace was a loan from the Queen for the occasion, I believe I have seen it worn by HM in pictures (or I am mistaking it with something else?). Do you know if the Countess owns it or borrowed it ?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Serene Highness

Oh, that't the necklace you meant, I was actually thinking fringe like the one Queen Elizabeth wore to her wedding in 1947. Well if it is hers I'm sure she can take it to a jeweler and have it put on a frame.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflower View Post
I thought that this necklace was a loan from the Queen for the occasion, I believe I have seen it worn by HM in pictures (or I am mistaking it with something else?). Do you know if the Countess owns it or borrowed it ?
We are unlikely to get a definitive answer as to whther it is owned by the Countess, or it was on loan from HM. HM has many necklaces that are quite similar in design to the one that the CoW wore to the wedding in Stockholm, so it could well be from that collection.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
We are unlikely to get a definitive answer as to whther it is owned by the Countess, or it was on loan from HM. HM has many necklaces that are quite similar in design to the one that the CoW wore to the wedding in Stockholm, so it could well be from that collection.
I know of two and they were both gifts from Saudi Kings purchased at Harry Winston. HM lent them to Princess Diana on several occassions so no surprise if she lent them to the Countess.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
After the Wedding some posters on the Royal Jewels MB compared the Necklace to the Queen's simlar ones but all where different so most likely no loan from the Queen.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Okay, now I know what fringe necklace is being discussed. Sorry, to be ignorant. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Given the fuss caused when Diana borrowed a necklace & earings from Collingwood jewellers for photo's ahead of her wedding I agree that HM would not countenance the borrowing of jewels commercially.
I would love to believe the same, but Sophie wore a borrowed necklace and earrings to the Danish royal wedding, and in fact, Sarah Ferguson wore it later as well. I'm hoping that right there is what prompted QEII to loan Sophie some different pieces. With QEII's jewel collection it has been a shame to see Sophie wearing insubtantial pieces when she represents the Queen.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 AM

The Fringe necklace

I am guessing that this is a family loaner. I have identified it as one of the Saudi pieces. There is a picture of a very young Diana wearing it in Susie Menzies Royal Jewels and I believe I have seen it in the very distant past on Sarah Fergesson.
I am new to this site and found it while researching Sophie's tiara. Thanks to all for the info, tidbits and marvelous pictures.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 AM

Menzies also states that there are 2 fringe necklaces in the posession of the Queen. Nothing like giving us grounds for confusion.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Royal Highness

Menkes' book was published some time ago and we know of one additional fringe necklace that has been added since then (still not certain where it came from, there has been speculation that Prince Phillip gave it to his wife as it first appeared sometime around an anniversary) and I had thought originall that it might be that one that we saw (earrings worn are similar as well): Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II: Her Majest Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada
but on further examination, there are large spaces between the elements on this necklace and the drops are longer than the one we saw The Countess wearing.
I also do not think that the necklace worn by Sophie is either of the ones presented to the Queen by middle Eastern countries. Diana wore by the King Khalid and King Faisel necklaces and I think that while this one is similar to the King Khalid one, they are not the same.
I also cannot recall Sarah, Duchess of York wearing such a necklace, either. I know that she was given a diamond necklace with matching earrings and bracelet from the Queen and Prince Phillip as a wedding gift but I've not seen any pictures of her wearing a diamond fringe--however, it is not impossible as Sarah did on at least one occassion wear one of Victoria's bow brooches.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Is this aquamarine new? It's a beautiful piece. It suits her as well as the stone in her tiara/necklace but has a less formal setting and is perfect for her dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
On September 10, Sophie, Countess of Wessex, as Patroness of ChildLine attended
a dinner in Devon.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Commoner

It looks like the aquamarine from her "new" tiara that she wore to Prince Albert's enthronement. Do you think that the stone is removeable and she wore it as a necklace at this event?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

^ This is interesting. I'd like to read more about this stone too. Sophie looked smashing in black. Perfect dress, mood and smile as usual. :)

Tags
countess of wessex, jewellery, sophie, sophie countess of wessex