Catherine Middleton Jewellery (to April 2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that people have differing views about the engagement ring, but we ought to see it from the perspective of Prince William whose decision to give it to Kate is ultimately his own. I presume that the ring was left to William in his mother's Will as a keepsake to be given to his wife (as he sure wouldn't have worn it!). Kate would have eventually been given it at some point. If the ring was thought of as being somehow cursed or bad-luck, then what could be done with it? Should it have been destroyed or broken up? It's a beautiful ring, much loved I assume by William's mother and it deserves to be loved again and used under happy and positive circumstances once more.

Was the lovers knot tiara a loan to princess Diana or actually her property? In the last case it is likely that William has inherited it and we will see it on Catherine for sure.

About the engagement ring: I understand that prince William remembers the good memories ofhis mother, which inclined him to give it to his fiancee. However, the ring was the starting point for the most well known unhappy marriage of the 20th century. I suppose he could also have converted it in a brooch or something. It still is a very pretty ring of course. And the marriage also produced to seemingly nice and stable men.

Last edited:
:previous: From what I've read, I believe it to have been a loan. When Diana died it went back to the collection.

Last edited:
We almost all disagree that this ring was given as an engagement ring, but apparently William has his own feelings about this.

On the other side a marriage is successfull only thanks to the mutual love and understanding of the couple.

Diana and Charles marriage was faked since the beginning (people just did not know it) and this was the reason that it failed, and not because of any other external reason.
William and Catherine are in love, they know eachother and are conscious about what they are doing, Charles and Diana not.

Remember their engagement interview, they were asked if they are in love, Diana replied yes, but Charles gave a stange reply, quite negative and significant, ..... he was never in love.

The rest is HISTORY

The only people who should have any concern about the royal couple's engagement ring should be William and Kate. Please keep this joyous event within reason.

Was the lovers knot tiara a loan to princess Diana or actually her property? In the last case it is likely that William has inherited it and we will see it on Catherine .

The Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Art Deco Emerald Choker were both returned to The Queen after Diana's death. These pieces were bequests from Queen Mary to her granddaughter and are The Queen's personal property.

Diana was permitted to keep all of her royal jewels (she had other bits and pieces in her possession as well) after the divorce, with the condition these pieces could never be lent or sold. The divorce agreement provided any royal jewels would pass to Prince William after her death for his wife to wear.

Obviously, no one expected Diana to die a year later. Since William was still a minor and unmarried, the jewels were instead immediately returned. Whether The Queen will pass them on again to Catherine remains to be seen.

The divorce agreement provided any royal jewels would pass to Prince William after her death for his wife to wear.

The only thing we know that's been published about the divorce agreement are: Diana losing her HRH, allowing her to live in Kensington Palace and a gag rule on both Diana and Charles not to talk about the financial settlement. The press are the ones who speculated on the amount she received from Charles. This is one of the many articles about the divorce agreement: washingtonpost.com: International Special Report: Princess Diana, 1961-1997

There has never been any mention of royal jewels going to Prince William for his wife to wear.

When Diana died, her estate (money and material things) went equally to both her sons. A provision was made by the executor and trustees of the will to give a memento to each of her 17 godchildren and money to Paul Burrell. Some of Diana's clothes the boys inherited have been lent to Earl Spencer for the 'Diana exhibit'. The sapphire engagement was inherited by both Princes William and Harry.

It's been written that Prince Harry picked out this engagement ring while Prince William selected his mother's Cartier Tank Francaise watch a month after her death when they visited Kensington Palace to have some of her things near them. They also selected pictures and some stuff toys during this visit. This info according to Paul Burrell.

Princes William and Harry probably talked about this engagement ring and Harry must have agreed to give it to William for Kate. I'm sure we will see some of Diana's jewelry on Prince Harry's future wife too that both princes agree on.

That's if we believe Paul Burrell's account of this story.

is the necklace her own? or William's gift? that looks like a Sapphire too!

I like this ring. I understand Will's feelings about the ring of his late mother but...
Kate should recive her own engagement ring. Maybe he should give her next engagement ring...

is the necklace her own? or William's gift? that looks like a Sapphire too!
It's a cabochon sapphire with small diamonds. I think I've seen it before, but I really cannot recall when or on whom (Diana maybe?). I'm sure one of our TRF friends will find out soon.:flowers:
I like this ring. I understand Will's feelings about the ring of his late mother but...
Kate should recive her own engagement ring. Maybe he should give her next engagement ring...
I'm not sure I understand your last sentence. You mean William should give Kate a second engagement ring after a while?! I don't think these things are done this way, there's always one engagement ring only.;)

Last edited:
I think sapphires and diamonds suit Kate very well indeed and I imagine she will mainly wear them in the future. Her necklace was very lovely and I think she will stick with such simple designs in the future - apart from state occassions and banquets....I wonder what sapphire and diamond jewellery is available from the collection for her to borrow?

It's a cabochon sapphire with small diamonds. I think I've seen it before, but I really cannot recall when or on whom (Diana maybe?). I'm sure one of our TRF friends will found out soon.:flowers:

post 49 of this thread:

The necklace was worn at the wedding of Lady Rose Gilman in July 2008
Mad Hattery! » Blog Archive » The Lady Rose Windsor’s Wedding: Miss Kate Middleton

That's if we believe Paul Burrell's account of this story.

I don't think it matters what Paul Burrell wrote about.

The important information was in Diana's last will. Both her sons inherited everything she owned. So her engagement ring belonged to both William and Harry before William gave it to Kate.

I think the ring has a new band to honest. If I remember correctly it use to be gold and now it appears to be white gold or platinum.

I thought the same thing. I thought the Welsh gold wedding ring Diana wore was yellow gold.

Edited to add: Should have read ahead. I see it was always that color.

Last edited:
The Lover's Knot Tiara and the Cambridge Art Deco Emerald Choker were both returned to The Queen after Diana's death. These pieces were bequests from Queen Mary to her granddaughter and are The Queen's personal property.

Diana was permitted to keep all of her royal jewels (she had other bits and pieces in her possession as well) after the divorce, with the condition these pieces could never be lent or sold. The divorce agreement provided any royal jewels would pass to Prince William after her death for his wife to wear.

Obviously, no one expected Diana to die a year later. Since William was still a minor and unmarried, the jewels were instead immediately returned. Whether The Queen will pass them on again to Catherine remains to be seen.
I would think that they were returned to the Queen's Jewelry Box for the years that William was a minor and surely before he married. The divorce agreement is clear. I would think HM will be turning over quite a few other lovely glitters to the Heir's Heir's wife. Especially since the European tourist industry is in the tank. Say what you want about Diana, but she had people excited about the Monarchy of England and coming to visit. Certainly no one is inspired to get on a plane to go see the other. So let's hope there is a revitilization of interest in the Monarchy.

Certainly no one is inspired to get on a plane to go see the other.

Always so "subtle" scooter...:D Oh your posts often make me giggle!!!

I truly feel that we should be concentrating on a happy and successful marriage for Prince William and Catherine Middleton and not on the unfortunate collapse of the Prince and late Princess of Wales' marriage. Why should a ring be "bad luck" ???
God bless Prince William and Kate and all good wishes for your future!

Such a delight to see that beautiful sapphire ring in use again! May we see more beauties being released from their vaults!

I for one am so excited to see what jewels Cate will wear or get or use. I'm sure there will be some amazing gifts from the Queen as well as guests. Cate doesn't seem to be much of a jewelry tramp like us.....I hope she becomes one!!!!!!!!

I have always thought that, when Royal jewellery is given to a bride who marries in to the family, it is presumed that she will stay married and the jewellery will remain with her heirs. So to speculate whether something belonging to the Royal Family has been given to a Princess as a present or a loan is perhaps not correct. They may well have been presents, or they may have been loaned for a particular occasion, but I am not sure that they were ever meant to be the personal property to be disposed of.

It's a cabochon sapphire with small diamonds. I think I've seen it before, but I really cannot recall when or on whom (Diana maybe?).

Catherine worn the necklace before, during Lady Rose´s wedding, on July 19, 2008.:flowers:
Pic

Thanks Salma! I still don't get it though. Is it hers? ;) Edit: She needs to take more care of her neck's skin - it always ages faster than our face's skin. More cream, Kate! :)

Last edited:
I really like her necklace, it's very sweet. It's something I would give my little girl (Spencer), even though she wouldn't be able to wear it for the next 15 years.

I think the ring has a new band to honest. If I remember correctly it use to be gold and now it appears to be white gold or platinum.

I thought that too, but I've been checking pictures on the internet and Diana's band was also white gold. I think I was mistaken because she wore her gold wedding ring next to it.
princess+diana+ring.jpg (image)

I thought that too, but I've been checking pictures on the internet and Diana's band was also white gold. I think I was mistaken because she wore her gold wedding ring next to it.
princess+diana+ring.jpg (image)
Probably because it was paired with the gold wedding band it just looked like it was set in gold because you could never really see the band. What a strange mix.. but isn't that a tradition in the family, Welsh gold was it?

Probably because it was paired with the gold wedding band it just looked like it was set in gold because you could never really see the band. What a strange mix.. but isn't that a tradition in the family, Welsh gold was it?

Yes, they make the wedding bands from the last remaining peice of 21 karat welsh gold nugget from Wale's Clogau St. David's mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom