British Royal Jewels of the Past 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the english collection of sparkel is big, but I do wonder if it erxisted a complete paruere in the collection?

Jahkoo said:
I know that the english collection of sparkel is big, but I do wonder if it erxisted a complete paruere in the collection?

Actually there a few completely matching all from the original source - examples would be the late Princess Margaret's turquoise suite, the Duchess of Gloucester's turquoise, emerald and kunzite parures. The Cambridge Sapphires owned by the Duchess of Kent is complete - (just now minus the original tiara). The Queen owns suites of jewels which have the same colour stones just not complete matching parures!

Hi, newbie here.
I have a question about Queen Alexandra's Amethyst necklace. I discovered a new picture of it on a russian forum among pictures of Romanov jewels. I know QA has russian connections but is the necklace russian in origin or is it just a mislabeled picture?

Picture:
http://f7.ifotki.info/org/46a262f532824a26b1485b352ea4643053db9f75063627.jpg

Source page:
Royals:

The necklace at Royal-magazin.de
Jewels of Queen Alexandra | Amethysts Necklace Tiara | Princess Maud Countess of Southesk

Welcome, BellaUK! :flowers:

Queen Alexandra's amethyst necklace has no Russian provenance.
The necklace, which features 5 amethysts set within diamond wreaths and scrolls, was actually designed by Alexandra herself.
This necklace might have been a convertible piece and worn as a tiara as well; however, there are no known pictures or portraits of anyone wearing it in that way.

There is, however, a mysterious Queen Alexandra's amethyst tiara with possible Russian association. The tiara's history and origins are a bit uncertain: it was certainly sold at an auction in 1946 and at that point belonged to Princess Maud (who presumably inherited it from her mother, Princess Louise, Princess Royal - Edward VII and Queen Alexandra's eldest daughter). It was said to have indeed had a Russian provenance because the overall design and the quality of the amethysts suggested a Russian origin. Supposedly, the tiara was a gift from either Alexandra's sister, Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, or Emperor Alexander III himself.

The picture you linked shows Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk wearing the necklace and possibly the amethyst tiara as well (although whether it was the aforementioned Queen Alexandra's amethyst tiara is debatable).

Last edited:
Gorgeous amethyst Necklace , I really Loved it very much , very Antique piece , really Masterpiece , Thank you Artemisia .

Does anyone know if the auctioned pieces were kept intact or is it more likely that they were broken up? I've always wondered whether jewels auctioned are kept intact due to historical significance or are more valuable when worked into newer settings?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week I was reading again "The Queen's Diamonds" and on page 163 there was a picture of Queen Mary wearing the Love Trophy Collar and one short diamond collet necklace with round elements hanging from it. I knew I had seen this picture before and I finally have found a similar one on this thread (post 132) from the same session of photos:

Acknowledgement goes to Eva at RJOTWMB, who presented this high-quality postcard of a youngish-looking and tightly-corsetted Queen Mary. (copyright expired)

QueenMary6.jpg

o

Finally I could also find the Duchess of Cambridge's diamond and ruby necklace said to be a wedding gift from a friend on post 132 on the thread Duchess of Cambridge Jewels. Don't the round elements and vertical strings of diamonds from both pictures look remarkably alike?
DC.jpg

Marinas sapphire brooches

Spheno that is a beautiful closeup photo of an amethyst brooch. Looks like Princes Michael of Kent wearing it, but it is not the one I am talking about. This is the only close up photo I have of the one the Queen Mother wore.
Do you have any information about the brooch you posted?

Attachments

• Qu Mums sapphire flower brooch was Marina of Kents.jpg
    Qu Mums sapphire flower brooch was Marina of Kents.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 809
Nice picture of The Duchess of Teck wearing Teck Crescent Tiara:
Royally Speaking (The Teck*Crescent*Tiara (Great*Britain))
In comparison, without the two-tier diamond rivière base, the current version of the Teck Crescent appears incomplete.

1. then: the Teck Crescent - sitting pretty atop a solid and glittering foundation;
2. now: the Teck Cresent c2000 - adrift, exposed and lacking oomph (relatively speaking).

Attachments

• UK Teck Crescent Tiara.jpg
    UK Teck Crescent Tiara.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,946
  • UK Teck Rose & Crescent Tiara.jpg
    UK Teck Rose & Crescent Tiara.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,147
:previous:
I see what you mean, it appears incomplete without the base. I think someone have to bring these jewels out of prison.

I know Princess Margaret & Queen Mother used to wear the necklace that goes along with the tiara (Teck Circle Necklace):

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Teck Tiaras

I think it's a very nice collection but haven't seen the light of day in decades. I know it's said to be on loan to Camilla but she seem to stick with the other jewels of The Queen Mother's. I think this tiara and necklace would be perfect for The Duchess of Cambridge. It stands out with darker hair.

:previous: I ve read on the Royal Jewels Message Board thet the Teck necklace is in the possesion of the Linleys - if that's true it's no longer an option for the main line:sad:

Then at least dust off the tiara and make use of it. I really don't see the Linley's making any use of the necklace.

I think they will be seen again. Once the old guard of chair filler retire off into the sunset, new members will be needed. The Linleys mat pop up at a state dinner or two every now and then. Semi-Royal cousins of the Sovereign are needed to sit close to important foreign guest, and that is a long table at Windsor to sprinkle royals around.

I think they will be seen again. Once the old guard of chair filler retire off into the sunset, new members will be needed. The Linleys mat pop up at a state dinner or two every now and then. Semi-Royal cousins of the Sovereign are needed to sit close to important foreign guest, and that is a long table at Windsor to sprinkle royals around.

Isn't that a rather rude way to refer to people who have devoted their lives to the service of the nation?

The Linleys will never pop up at a state dinner, they aren't working royals. And which semi royal cousins did you have in mind?

Isn't that a rather rude way to refer to people who have devoted their lives to the service of the nation?

I agree, awful way to describe The Queen.

I was wondering whether anyone is aware of a second emerald parure that belonged to Queen Victoria.
The first one - worn in this portrait by the Queen - is fairly well known. It was created by Joseph Kitching in 1845 and passed through the Fife line.

However, according to the Royal Collection website:
East India Company presented the Queen with a splendid selection of these jewels, including a quantity of emeralds, which she described as ‘wonderful and of immense value’. Some were able to be re-cut and set by Garrards in a new emerald and diamond parure, consisting of a tiara, stomacher and a pair of bracelets, which the Queen wore on her State Visit to Paris in 1855. Others, such as the nineteen rectangular or hexagonal emeralds in this girdle, as well as the flat-cut diamonds or lasques set in the borders, were either too thin or were carved, which (to the Queen’s regret) ruled out any re-cutting or reuse.
Victoria is supposed to be wearing them in this portrait from the French visit of 1855. It is also possible the emerald tiara in question (possibly, bracelets too) are worn in this French illustration of the Queen from 1855.

Last edited:
That is a very interesting find, Artemisia. There are so many mysteries about Queen Victoria's jewels. Only a few tiaras can be clearly identified from her portraits and traced through the descending generations.

Here is a portrait of her with an unknown emerald tiara. But maybe this is the tiara with the Indian emeralds?
THE FORBES COLLECTION AT OLD BATTERSEA HOUSE - SALE 338 - LOT 303 - LYON & TURNBULL (click on pic to enlarge)

What a great portrait, Tilla C., I had never seen it before!
The set mentioned on the Royal Collection website could well be it, but two things bother me a bit:

- They mention a parure of a tiara, stomacher and a pair of bracelets, whereas in the portrait in addition to a tiara and a bracelet, Victoria wears a necklace and a second brooch. Mind you, the second bracelet could have been converted into a necklace, while the stomacher could have been detachable and worn in several pieces (as with many of, say, Queen Mary's stomachers). The styles of the bracelet and the necklace are certainly very similar.

- Victoria appears to be fairly young in that portrait, probably in her 20s. The emeralds were given to her at the Great Exhibition which took place in 1851, meaning she should have been at least 32 by the time the parure was ready. This said, I have seen several portraits of the Queen from 1850s where she looked very young.

I wish we knew when Pierre Jollivet painted the portrait; if it was after 1851, we could have solved the mystery of one of Queen Victoria's jewels.

Perhaps you should ask on the Royal Jewels MB. There are some of the Experts about the british Royal Jewels.

It is also possible that Queen Victoria paired the tiara from the Indian emerald parure with other jewellery from her collection, or at least with another necklace.

Although the style of the portrait is very detailed, we can't rule out some artistic license. There is no way of knowing if the painter changed details in the jewellery. Also he might have painted the Queen younger as she actually looked. (Photoshop has it's predecessors ;))

Actually, it appears Victoria is wearing THREE identical brooches (you can see pendant pearls peaking out from under the Garter sash).
As someone else said, it's possible she was painted to look younger than she actually was.

The Duchess is indeed wearing Victoria's Turkish Rosette Necklace. She also wore the necklace to another coronation - that of Nicholas II in 1896.
From the Connaught line, the necklace passed to the Fife line through Princess Alexandra, Duchess of Fife - wife of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught - who left the necklace to her nephew and heir, James Carnegie (Alexandra had outlived her only son, as well as her younger sister).

You can read more about the necklace here - Queen Victoria’s Turkish Rosette Necklace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom