The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Queen Mary is wearing the Sapphire Parure which was gifted to Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. It passed to the present Duke and Duchess of Kent; parts of the parure have since been sold and the tiara remodelled (or the necklace has been converted into a tiara).

I think that the Tiara was offered to the queen before the sale some time in the late 60s which was to pay for death duties, but she did not wont it back in the family.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Great images everybody.

I have just one question: is there actually a list of Queen Mary's jewelry anywhere? Especially the tiaras? I know that there are some random images and some info around these forums, but is there any full and"official" list availible in any book or something like that?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Crowns on Royal Coffins

This web site - Forensic Genealogy Book Contest - shows a photo of Queen Victoria's coffin resting in the Albert Memorial Chapel after her funeral on Feb. 2, 1901 and before being moved to the Frogmore Mausoleum on Feb. 4, 1901. The web site identifies the crown on the coffin as St. Edward's Crown but I believe it is the Imperial State Crown based on its shape, etc. I'd appreciate responses about whether you agree or disagree with this identification. I found one reference (in Jerrold Packard's Farewell in Splendor) that states the Imperial State Crown was used for Victoria's funeral. Does anyone know of any other reference? Studying photos of other royal funerals, I believe St. Edward's Crown was used for the funeral of Edward VII but that the Imperial State Crown was used for George V and George VI. Thanks for your aid on identifying the crown used for Victoria's funeral.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Couldn't it be the Small Diamond crown ? (Small diamond crown of Queen Victoria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 05-09-2008, 03:49 PM

I believe the small diamond crown was used on Queen Victoria's coffin when it rested at Osborne House before her formal funeral began. But the crown in the web site photo seems too large to be the small diamond crown.

The Scepter with the Cross and both orbs were also placed on Victoria's coffin. David Williamson wrote in Debrett's Guide to Heraldry and Regalia that the second orb (last used for Mary II's coronation with William III) represented Victoria's position as Empress of India. But Victoria's funeral was the only time two orbs were used.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Nobility

That's absolutely not the St Edward Crown. It's probably the Imperial, before it was rebuilt for George VI.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Queen Alexandra Sapphire Tiara

Queen Alexandra's sapphire tiara which I assume remains in the Buckingham Palace vaults.

Image copyright has expired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen Alexandra Sapphire Tiara.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	266093  
Old 08-28-2008, 06:13 AM

Hi, my first post being a newbie here ( have been a lurker for a while enjoying reading the posts and being amazed by the knowledge of some of the posters).
On another board I recently saw a photograph of Queen Mary (UK) wearing what was termed the ' Loop Tiara'. It is not a tiara that I recall having come across before. Does anyone know if it still exists? I can see it on Camilla if it does.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Queen Mary's Diamond Loop Tiara
Made by Boucheron. Now possibly resting in the vaults although I have seen a suggestion that it was dismantled to make the Delhi Durbar diadem.

copyright to the image has expired
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UK Queen Mary's Boucheron Diamond Loop Tiara.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	266232  
Old 08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Royal Highness

HRH Princess Louise,The Duchess of Fife
HM Queen Louise of Denmark
HM Queen Alexandra of the United Kingdom
dazzling in diamonds!
Photo from Wikipedia

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Royal Highness

I've always found the loop tiara to be interesting. Apparently, from what I have read in Munn (page 113) was a gift to mark George and Mary's elevation to Prince and Princess of Wales. It is by Boucheron. I don't know when its last appearance was, but I've always thought that the stones matched up very with the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara as well as the Delhi Durbar. It's a shame it was broken up, all 102.75 carats (composed of 675 diamonds)

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Commoner

Queen Victoria's emerald tiara

I was looking througt some pictures of Victorias granddaughters and I found a pic of Princess Victoria wearing Victorias emerald tiara. I know that some other threads this has been discussed but i was wondering if anyone know where this tiara is now. I have never sen a picture of anyone wearing this tiara besides QV so I was courious. And since I dont now how to upload anything i can not put a pic on here. But it is at webshots. Look under EmpressFrederick's file under QV granddaughters III it #18. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Royal Highness

In Munn's Tiaras: A History of Splendor book book, there is a photo of one of Queen Victoria's granddaughter's wearing the tiara. It is beside a close up of Queen Victoria from a painting in which she wears the tiara (and some GORGEOUS emerald earrings which I haven't seen anywhere besides the painting and which I am very curious about. Queen Victoria loved that girandel type of earring, with multiple stones--I've gone off track but would love to discuss Queen Victoria's earrings, too!) anyway....in Munn there is indeed a b/w photograph of the tiara with a caption below that suggests the wearer was attending a costume ball and that the tiara appeared to have been shortened. Munn further states within the book that the tiara still remains in the family of one of Queen Victoria's descendents. Over on the RJOTW message board the topic comes up sometimes and we discuss who has it, and some older photos of events have been posted where the tiara has been seen. But, I can't recall who has it.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

The Duchess of Fife wore Queen Victoria's emerald tiara to the State Opening of Parliament in 1960 so the Fifes probably still have it.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Royal Highness

Warren you are a wealth of knowledge! Do you know anything about the tiara Princess Louse, Duchess of FIfe wears in this photo?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...d_Victoria.jpg

I love the design!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

I was about to copy that post of yours over so the link would be in both threads but you did it yourself.

No idea about this one. It may still be with the Fifes as that family doesn't appear to have needed to sell assets, but of course it could have been disposed of long ago.
It looks like an "ears of wheat"-type design and may be better off without that flower element stuck in the middle. However, as the components seem to be all-diamonds, the tiara as pictured would flash and glitter quite nicely.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chota View Post
1) Can anyone tell me what became of the fringe tiara that Princess Mary (Countess of Harewood) owned? It must have been inherited from Queen Mary I suppose. Thanks for any help,
Chota
Wasn't it auctioned & purchased by the Duke of Westminster????
Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 AM

Coronation Tie pin King Edward VII

[IMG]file:///H:/Mine%20Bilder/Tie%20Pin/Picture%20001.jpg[/IMG]Can anybody please help me identify my tie pin.
I had it for more than 20 years now and now i want to find out what it is and if possible who made it.
The material is gold with 25 high quality rose cut diamonds.
There is no marking at all on the pin.
I have looking on internet for 4 year now and the only thing i have found is a pin made by Eduard Schramm (Faberge)see attachment nr 44669.
That pin is in the Royal collection in London.
I did send it to Christie`s in London,the answer from them raises more questions rather than giving me an answer.Here is the answer:

All parties concerned have now had a chance to look at your tie pin. It is a commemorative pin made for the Coronation of King Edward and Queen Alexandra in 1902 and most likely one of several made at the time.

The similarities in design to the tie pin in the Royal collection you pointed out are due to the fashion in the early twentieth century when it was very common to use a combination of gold, silver, rose-cut diamonds and enamel in this style.

Both the Jewelery and Russian department have looked for marks indicating it could be made by one of Faberge's work masters like Eduard Schramm but there
are no hallmarks or inventory numbers applied to the piece and therefore it cannot be made by Faberge as all recorded Faberge pieces bear these marks.

[FONT=Christie'sBembo]
Angela Berden,
[/FONT]
[FONT=Christie'sBembo]FGA, DGA[/FONT]
CHRISTIE'S

I find it strange that there is no hallmarks on the pin if this was a commemorative pin made for the Coronation of King Edward and Queen Alexandra in 1902.
This must have been a expensive pin when you look at the material it is made of.

I have been searching for anything that looks like my pin for years now and come up with nothing,and the say most likely one of many i doubt that.
If that was right it should have been some kind of hallmark.
And they say silver but that mite be platinum.
I have read that there was given out coronation gifts to the royal family`s members and distinguished guest from abroad that gift was a tie pin made in silver.
Can anyone help me on this.

Kjetil Martinsen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	268799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	268800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	268801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	268802  

Name:	scan0007.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	268803   Click image for larger version

Name:	43669.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	268804  
Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygoogles View Post
I think two of the best wearers of tiara and diadems has to be Queen Mary.
Here she wars the delhi durbur with Cullinan III and IV - - The Girls of Great britian tiara

Queen Alexandra - - The Kokoshnik Tiara.

AMEN!!!
The epitome of Royal Elegance!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra--there will never be anyone like them, jewel-wise.

Speaking of the Loop tiara and Queen Mary:
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/3280...5A1E4F32AD3138

Tags
british, emerald, jewellery, past, queen victoria, tiaras