The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Royal Highness

I always wondered why QMary didn't leave the GD Vladimir's to Princess Marina, as she was a granddaughter of the GDuchess, I suppose that it was to a grand peice to leave to a dowager duchess, who won't continue the dynasty of the Windsor's, Marie Christine would die to have that tiara!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Royal Highness

Anyone would die to have tiara! It can be worn three ways, making it one of the most usable tiaras in the collection. It can be worn without any drops, just the diamond circles (lovely), it can be worn with the pearl drops (stunning), or with the emerald drops (magnificant). I love that tiara.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Courtier

Dear Heart,

We all love that tiara. My preferece is, of course for the emeralds, with the necklaces, chocker, stomacher, earings, (have I left anything out?) and the whole nine yards. My only regret is that now there are no more emeralds to be used to complete the Delhi Durbar tiara which is to my mind incomplete without them. That contraption with the emeralds and a large diamond center is just simply magnificent too and I cannot for the life of me understand why they do not continue to wear it in that form and certainly wear it more often. Cheers.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Aristocracy

sad but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Does this mean, alot of wealthy people gets a lot less wealthy by those taxes?
Those are exactly the reasons for inheritance taxes and income taxes in the United States. If you ever saw any of the "Great Castles" series that used to air in the US the main reason the houses weren't kept in the family were the duties involved and upkeep. In the days pre-income tax you could keep up that kind of home but not easily done now. Most estates have been turned over to trusts/foundations or opened up for tourists/licensed for souvenirs or found other ways to keep up expenses. Income taxes were first imposed to finance our involvement in the Great War (WWI) and of course, the gov't isn't about to stop taking money if they get used it having it (but that's another topic for another time and place). Some loopholes help but there's no way to eliminate paying tax one way or another so often items are sold that aren't as practical to hold on to.
Of course, there are some pieces I might keep and be tempted sell the niece instead if it were my choice
Old 09-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I always wondered why QMary didn't leave the GD Vladimir's to Princess Marina, as she was a granddaughter of the GDuchess, I suppose that it was to a grand peice to leave to a dowager duchess, who won't continue the dynasty of the Windsor's, Marie Christine would die to have that tiara!
The tiara was sold by Princess Nicholas of Greece (the former Grand Duchess Helena Vladimirovna) in 1921 to Queen Mary while the Greek royal family was living in exile in Paris. She had inherited many jewels from her mother and sold a number of pieces over the years to raise cash for the family.

Given that Princess Marina married The Duke of Kent in 1934 and received many gifts of jewels, Queen Mary probably felt The Duchess had plenty to wear and her mother had sold it anyway.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Nobility

Sorry if this has been posted already, but it's definitely worth a looksee!

Royal Collection - Gems and Jewels
Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Royal Highness

And, this is a wonderful site as well--I'm sure we've all seen it but it belongs here! There are wonderful photos of HM in some exquisite gowns, but there are a lot of pics of jewels and you can click on them and see the amazing detail on the most minute part of the piece (yes, even the emeralds in the Vladimir tiara Thomas!!!). I love this site.
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Administrator

While we're examining the Royal Collection, this category is worth a visit. It's 20 pages long with 392 pieces, but there are some wonderful things to be found:

Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness

OH Warren--what a wonderful site to visit!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Courtier

Pant, Gasp!!!! Drool, Heavy Breathing. Thud. Comatose and Smiling. Awakening. Getting up and staggering off to chocolate ice cream as restorative of over-excited nerves. Cheers.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Royal Highness

Thomas, one day I'm going to have to call 911 in Columbia and tell them that Thomas Parkman has passed out with a pint of Godiva Double Chocolate ice cream in one hand and his head on Tiaras: A History of Splendor. They'll actually think it is a crank call--obviously not ones to appreciate the breathtaking splendor of diamonds and chocolate!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Royal Highness

WAAAAARRRRREEEENNNNNNN--
I need to know something and I am certain that you will be able to clear up a little mystery for me--
there is a necklace which our beloved Queen Mary wear that I think is perfectly marvelous--but I have not been able to find any mention of it in the two (yes, only two) books I have--while they are excellent books (Munn's Bible and Field's 1987 edition of The Queen's Jewels) they offer no identifying information about this necklace.
However, Field does have three pictures of the necklace--perhaps if you have the book you can look it up and see if it jolts your memory?
Page 38, the top right hand corner photo--Queen Mary in the Girls of Great Britian tiara without pearl spikes--it is the long necklace that disappears from the picture (I might add that this is one of my favorite photos of Queen Mary)
Page 68. The painting of Queen Mary (beside the photo of the True Lover's Knot brooch)--shows her wearing a choker (later shortened to a bracelet), the Lover's Knot brooch, some large diamond earrings, and the necklace in question is seen full length

Last photo--page 81--Queen Mary, top left photo--she is earing Feodorovna tiara with a large sapphire in the front, cluster earrings, cahin link diamond choker necklace, and a sapphire brooch--but no mention of the necklace, which is STUNNING and filled with HUGE diamonds. I would love to know more about that necklace.

So, Warren, most brilliant, do you know anything about this necklace? I don't have a photo to post--I'm so sorry!

Old 11-06-2007, 01:41 AM
Administrator

That was hard work. I have the 1992 edition and the paging and layout are different. I can't shed any light on the necklace, which is reminiscent of the very long necklaces favoured by Queen Ena of Spain.

Unrelated to your question, and going off on a tangent, is the amount of serious jewellery Queen Mary purchased from the Grand Duchess Marie Feodorovna. The pic of Queen Mary in the 'Link Bracelet' section (your page 81, my page 105) showing her wearing the palmette/honeysuckle tiara, now with the Gloucesters, is one example. Another, less well-known, is the Grand Duchess Marie Feodorovna bandeau tiara (diamonds and a rather large sapphire), of which good pictures are few and far between. Pity, because the tiara appears to be quite a work of art. It is on my wish-list of those pieces which are crying out to be rescued from the vaults.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Courtier

Dear Warren,

Is that not where there has been great confusion. I have read in the bible I believe that Queen Mary commissioned the honeysuckle tiara from Garrard's c. 1915. I agree with you that the sapphire tiara is a stunning creation and I have wondered whether everybody is not confusing and mixing up the twol. I have seen a picture of Princess Margaret wearing Maria Fedorovna's sappphire tiara somewhere and it is a magnificent contraption indeed.

I mayself may have been thorougly confused and thought the honeysuckle tiara had a large sapphire setting as part of the settings that could be used, along with the kunzite and diamond centerpieces. I think that I was probably wrong. What do you think. In anycase both baubles are to die for. Cheers.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
Is that not where there has been great confusion. I have read in the bible I believe that Queen Mary commissioned the honeysuckle tiara from Garrard's c. 1915.
Yes, in this case Munn contradicts Field. I used Field for my post above as this is the source and context for jcbcode99's question.

Quote:
I have seen a picture of Princess Margaret wearing Maria Fedorovna's sappphire tiara somewhere...
Indeed, if you click on the link in my post you will see it again.

Quote:
I mayself may have been thorougly confused and thought the honeysuckle tiara had a large sapphire setting as part of the settings that could be used, along with the kunzite and diamond centerpieces. I think that I was probably wrong. What do you think. I
You are correct, Field has a small pic of Queen Mary wearing the honeysuckle tiara and what she says is the sapphire centrepiece (on the same page where she states it comes from Marie Feodorovna). I'm not sure that one can tell whether it is sapphire or emerald from the photograph, but we'll take Field's word for it.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Aristocracy

Does anyone have any information about the jewels worn here?
Image - TinyPic - Share The Experience!™
Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Queen Mary is wearing the Sapphire Parure which was gifted to Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. It passed to the present Duke and Duchess of Kent; parts of the parure have since been sold and the tiara remodelled (or the necklace has been converted into a tiara).
Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Queen Mary is wearing the Sapphire Parure which was gifted to Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. It passed to the present Duke and Duchess of Kent; parts of the parure have since been sold and the tiara remodelled (or the necklace has been converted into a tiara).
Thankyou. It is such a shame that many lovely pieces have passed to the lesser branches of the family. In my opinion any pieces of distinction should only be loaned to individual members during their lifetimes and then on their deaths returned to the main collection.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Royal Highness

Warren--thank you for trying; I've been curious about that necklace for some time. But, your supplemental information was quite interesting!

Old 11-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy

Dose anyone know who bought the Sapphire Tiara from Duchess of Kent. A pity that the had to sell it. The Duchess dose like to play with her jewels, she has remodelled a lot of pieces in the past why not this one.

Tags
british, emerald, jewellery, past, queen victoria, tiaras