The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Royal Highness

Oh Thomas--it is so rare that we disagree that I feel quite bad! But, if you makes you feel anybetter, I would love to have seen the Durbar with emeralds and the matching necklace (although it is not favorite) on Camilla at some point. Alas, it is not to be. In the above picture, Queen Mary looks splendid with the emeralds accompanying the DDT, but I do think think that the era has passed. Also, it looks a touch top heavy in the pics that the wonderfully talented Fabula submitted for our intense drooling pleasure. I will also take this moment to say that while I like the DDT as it is, there is something missing what with that sad little empty bar on the middle of the uppermost point. Perhaps something not quite so large would be attractive? Can the great Fabula honor us with an illustration?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-19-2007, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
I think in the second picture of Queen Mary that you have shown, Warren, neither stone is present???
The second pic was taken in 1923. Look closely at the centre of the diadem and you will see the Cullinan IV.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Courtier

Brain density has taken over again Warren. But didn't somebody say there was a heart shaped diamond they put in the center at some point. I can never get all these Cullinans straight anyway. Maybe that is just as well. I gather that the undaunted Queen Mary was a quick change artist who just loved to bounce her emormous collection of goodies all over the place and used them to tiara hope like nobodys business. Of course if I had all those rocks I would tiara hop like mad too.

I am curious. Has anybody seen a really good photograph of the 1911 (?) Dehli Durbar at which this contraption was worn. I would love to see a phot restoration of it as it was worn on that occassion if it has not been done already. The pictures I have seen of Queen Mary at that time were not all that clear. But then if you are in full regalia a la George V and Queen Mary a few very large stones desplayed before the prostrate and awestruck thousands are a necessity. But those emeralds are gorgeous. I just love emeralds and emeralds if I had any would love me too. Cheers.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I am curious. Has anybody seen a really good photograph of the 1911 (?) Dehli Durbar at which this contraption was worn.
Here is a pic of the Delhi Durbar tiara/diadem gracing Queen Mary at the Delhi Durbar of 1911.
This version is with the emeralds but minus the Cullinans. The centre has more in common with Camilla's, but is not the same. This jewel has been worn in many variations.

Pic taken 1911; copyright has expired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen Mary Delhi Durbar cropped.JPG
Views:	826
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	259968  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Royal Highness

Well, I have to say that the unthinkable has occurred--I am getting ready to change my opinion and counter my own post! Warren, the picture you posted of Queen Mary with the DDT with those emeralds was really stunning--I must echo Thomas and repeat, gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous.
I wonder why Camilla's version lies differently than Mary's? Has it been altered? Camilla's kind of has a halo type effect, whereas Mary's is more of a crown (which shouldn't be surprising as it was for the India cornonation)--

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Speaking of which, does anybody have a picture of the Indian Imperial Regalia. My understanding is that the British Regalia could not be taken out of the country, so in 1911 or so the government ordered a new crown for George V for the presentation and hommage, I suppose you could describe it as, that took place in New Delhi. I wonder what has happened to all of that. Has it disappeared into the vaults forever too.

Since they were making a new goodie for the King, at a cost of some 60,000 quid no less (ie 15 000,000 $$$$ or so in todays inflated play dough) , I guess they decided that they should have one made for the Queen too. King George referred to it as "Mays best tiara."

As for the restoration of the Delhi Durbar tiara I think it would be magnificent with the top row of diamonds, the Cambridge emeralds and the Cullinan V. Now if that ain't sassy I do not know what is, But knowing the superb Queen Mary like I do, I am sure that she would agree with me entirely. Now if we could just bribe the noble Fabula with some chocolate, or other assorted goodies, perhaps he would be able, though he is an hisorical purist of a high order, to come up with this quasai fantasy to pander to my senile delusions and obsessions. Cheers.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Speaking of which, does anybody have a picture of the Indian Imperial Regalia. My understanding is that the British Regalia could not be taken out of the country, so in 1911 or so the government ordered a new crown for George V for the presentation and hommage, I suppose you could describe it as, that took place in New Delhi. I wonder what has happened to all of that. Has it disappeared into the vaults forever too.
The are on display at the Tower of London.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

You know, I just love the original spikes on top of the Delhi Durbar tiara. They make it look so 'queenly'.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Speaking of which, does anybody have a picture of the Indian Imperial Regalia.... in 1911 or so the government ordered a new crown for George V.
Here's a pic.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Courtier

Well, Warren, I must say that the Indian thing is a bit of a dissapointment. But then what do you expect for a mere 60000 quid?? A ruby,not particularly distinguished, some really nice sapphires and a lot of seemingly decent diamonds. Why on earth no emeralds? But there you are, after the restorations of the noble Fabula I guess one must come crashing back to earth sometime.

I guess I have just been ruined by the Imperial State Diadem, with the massive Cullinan and the Black Prince's ruby, actually a spinel and the other assorted goodies. I want my crowns bg, big stones , colorful and gaudy with lots of gold and diamonds, and pearls and emeralds and sapphires and the whole nine yards. Robes, orbs, scepters, jeweled swords, the whole over the top explosion if you please. The thing you sent me of somebody from Bavaria was just the thing to hit the spot. Perhaps the Indian trinket will grow on me with time????? Cheers.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Nobility

this is the home page of a royal jewellery magazin. does anybody know, what crown is that on top? SCHMUCK - JUWELEN | Royal and Famous Jewelry Collectors| TIARA - Diadem
who is the owner ?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Royal Highness

Serpahine,
I do not know what crown that is on top, and being an avid viewer of that website, I have often wondered where the crown comes from.
Regarding the Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara--I do hope it was not dismantled to create that disappointment of a tiara, the Burmese Ruby tiara. I have read that it was, but HM seems to have worn the piece a great deal in the early years of her reign-perhaps it was just retired? She does still wear the detachable pieces regularly. Perhaps she just prefers the piece as the brooches? I hope so. That Burmese tiara is a disappointment.
And, Camilla in the Rundell tiara! I never thought of it, but we haven't seen the Rundell in a very long time. Perhaps now is the time--but, then again, the fact that Alice Keppel was Queen Alexandra's mistress might have some people up in arms about Camilla wearing the piece (irregardless of how ok QA was with the arrangement!)

Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Administrator

The Rundell Tiara

This tiara hasn't seen the light of day for almost a century and is possibly languishing in those fabled vaults; here's a pic.

Queen Alexandra - The Rundell Tiara
image not subject to copyright

Old 04-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Royal Highness

Oops!

Well, it appears I mistyped. I really need to proof-read my posts before I post (and I have a degree in English!!!--how sad) anyway--
Alice Keppell was the mistress of Queen Alexandra's husband , the King (can't remember which one at this moment) so while the tiara is beautiful, we may have to wait to see it on someone else. It is a pity we can't see it anytime soon--it's a gorgeous piece!

Old 04-21-2007, 04:24 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I think the very important pieces they have with great historic connections will be returned to the Royal Jewels Collection, i.e. Queen Mary's wedding gifts to her daughters-in-law. I think the daughters of the present Duchesses and Princess Michael will each get some pieces of jewelry and possibly a tiara because they are still members of the royal family and will attend family events and such. But then again, maybe they will borrow tiaras for grand occasions.

What happened to Princess Mary, the Princess Royal's jewels?? Does the present Earl of Harewood have them or were they returned to the royal jewel collection?

I think I have read that some of them are sold to cover death duties, others are still in the possession of the Harewoods
Old 04-21-2007, 04:28 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
This tiara hasn't seen the light of day for almost a century and is possibly languishing in those fabled vaults; here's a pic.
I dont think this is the Rundell tiara, rather the fleur de lis/trefoil tiara that has been accentuated. The rundell was more of linked circles
Old 04-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Uh, no. It is what's commonly referred to as the Rundell Tiara.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness

Mary, the Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood had some beautiful pieces of jewellery, a lot of which were sold for death duties--but the sapphire tiara which Prince Albert designed for Queen Victoria is still in the possession of the current Earl of Harewood. But, a fringe tiara was sold, earrings, a suite of sapphires, and countless other historical gems. Pity. The Princess Royal really favored her mother, also. Did you know she opted to not attend the attend the wedding of the wedding of Princess Elizabeth because the Duke and Duchess had not been invited?
Anyway, here is a link to some photos of The Princess Royal:
Royal Photographs:HRH Princess Mary with her husband Vicount Lascelles and their sons : Image 7 of 10
in the first one, she is wearing a lovely pearl necklace (and therer is a picture of her husband-haven't seen him before). If you click on next, there is a photo of her in her wedding gown--not sure what tiara she is wearing, and the next shows a picture of her wearing the ears of wheat tiara which Queen Mary also wore on occassion.
Also, here is a photo I found on the Guide to Women Leaders website,
United Kingdom Heads of State with pictures just scroll down toward the end. She is wearing a lovely tiara (sold) necklace (sold) and some other pieces.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Courtier

Well, everyone's related to some degree. So the fact that the present Duchess of Cornwall is a descendant of Edward VII's mistress is hardly that big of a deal. Besides, Alexandra acknowledged her husband's mistresses. Oh, those were different times! If only the last Princess of Wales had...but I am glad times have changed. And I am glad that women can now stand up for themselves to their husbands.
However, I feel that it is much less likely that the Rundell tiara is still intact than the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara. Although it is historically significant, there have been many opportunities for it to have been broken up to create new tiaras and crowns. Who knows--some of the stones may even be in the Burmese Ruby tiara--which I, for one, love.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynard
Here's one. She's wearing an amazing necklace that I can't identify, the brooch from her wedding gift parure and a star tiara. It may be the Rundell tiara with star brooches attached. Can anyone ID the necklace and tiara?
I think I saw this tiara at the wedding of Lord Glenconner's daughter. (May)

Tags
british, emerald, jewellery, past, queen victoria, tiaras