British Royal Jewels of the Past 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before she was Duchess of Kent, Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld was married to Prince Charles of Leiningen. Did she receive any Leiningen jewels that would have been hers to keep? If Yes, did any become part of the British jewels?

Great video thanks for the link Cyril. Even though it was filmed in black and white all the ladies jewels really sparkle magnificently.

Great video thanks for the link Cyril. Even though it was filmed in black and white all the ladies jewels really sparkle magnificently.

Yes the jewels all looked stunning with the gowns and white evening gloves.

Was Princess Marina wearing the tiara from the Cambridge Sapphire Parure?

What is the oldest piece of jewelry in the British royal collection?

Depends on what we are looking at.

Talking official jewels the George IV diadem dates back to 1820. Both the Imperial state crown and St Edward's crown have been revised and the current versions only date back to the 20th century.

(from what I can find, I may have missed something older)

Tiaras:there only a handful that are not from the 20th century.

-Queen Adelaide's fringe tiara dates back to 1831.
-Oriental circlet was designed by Prince Albert in 1853.
-The teck hoop tiara is said to date back to 1860's (crescent may as well)

The modern sapphire was acquired by the queen in the 60s and converted to its current tiara status. But it did originate in Belgium with Princess Louise of Belgium and dates back to the late 1800s.

earrings:
-the corronation earrings date back to Queen Victoria in 1858

necklaces (we get older here)
-The queen Anne and Queen Caroline pearl necklaces- dont have exact dates but Caroline wore hers to her coronation in 1727. Anne's would be even older as she died in 1714. The current queen was given them as a wedding gift from her parents.

The Queen Anne and Queen Caroline Pearl Necklaces | The Court Jeweller

brooch: here we have some more dating back to at least 1800s

-The Prince Albert brooch was made for Victoria before their wedding in 1840
-the Victoria bow brooches date back to 1858
-Duchess of Cambridge brooch dates back to the 1850s

bracelets:
-Queen Victoria's bracelet dates to 1838

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Queen Victoria's Bracelet

-the rose of york bracelet: gift to Queen Mary on her wedding day in 1893

Last edited:

Talking official jewels the George IV diadem dates back to 1820. Both the Imperial state crown and St Edward's crown have been revised and the current versions only date back to the 20th century.

Tiaras:there only a handful that are not from the 21st century.

The modern sapphire was acquired by the queen in the 60s and converted to its current tiara status. But it did originate in Belgium with Princess Louise of Belgium and dates back to the late 1800s.

earrings:

-The queen Anne and Queen Caroline pearl necklaces- dont have exact dates but Caroline wore hers to her coronation in 1727. Anne's would be even older as she died in 1714. The current queen was given them as a wedding gift from her parents.

bracelets:

:flowers: Loved your post. Thank you!

Tiaras:there only a handful that are not from the 21st century.

earrings:

bracelets:

There is also the rarely worn Kent amethyst Demi parure which had belong to the Duchess of Kent the mother of Queen Victoria

Sadly there is no complete historic Paure at the disposal of the present Queen she actually still has noe one. The only one who cames close are the aquamarines but even they where not created and made as parure as for example the leuchtenberg sapphire Paure in the swedish RF.

There is also the rarely worn Kent amethyst Demi parure which had belong to the Duchess of Kent the mother of Queen Victoria

Sadly there is no complete historic Paure at the disposal of the present Queen she actually still has noe one. The only one who cames close are the aquamarines but even they where not created and made as parure as for example the leuchtenberg sapphire Paure in the swedish RF.

Thank you :flowers: I had a feeling I was missing something.

I had forgotten about the amathysts. We rarely see any but the brooch. I am shocked I forgot that brooch considering my obsession with brooches.

The Kent Amethyst Demi-Parure | The Court Jeweller

No exact date when they were created but they are seen in a portrait of the Duchess in 1830.

Tiaras:there only a handful that are not from the 20th century.

Although the tiara strictly speaking dates back to the Persian, Greek and Roman worlds, its use as a head ornament wasn't revived until the late 18th century, so I guess it is hardly surprising that the oldest tiaras found in the European collections are generally from the early to mid-19th century.

Last edited:
Thank you :flowers: I had a feeling I was missing something.

I had forgotten about the amathysts. We rarely see any but the brooch. I am shocked I forgot that brooch considering my obsession with brooches.

The Kent Amethyst Demi-Parure | The Court Jeweller

No exact date when they were created but they are seen in a portrait of the Duchess in 1830.

Anotehr historic Set is Queen Alexandras Wedding Parure but it is unfortunately not worn together as the necklace was with the Queenmother and the rest of it was inherited by Queen Elizabeth II. from Queen Mary.-

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II wore Queen Alexandra's Kokoshnik Tiara in 1956.
http://www.royalwatcherblog.com/2017/09/01/queen-dines-with-army-1956

A fantastic piece of footage!
So for those of you who love orders of Royal precedence - why was Princess Margaret followed, by the Duchess of Gloucester, followed by Mary, Princess Royal, followed by the Duchess of Kent?
Is it because the Duke of Gloucester was present, so his Duchess outranked the Princess Royal? But by this stage the Duke of Kent was dead, so the Princess Royal outranked the Duchess of Kent?

Well I know the oldest ITEM in the crown jewels is the coronation spoon. It dates back to the 12th century and...I have no idea what you do with a spoon at a coronation. But it's not something you wear which is what I was interested in.

Last edited:
Well I know the oldest ITEM in the crown jewels is the coronation spoon. It dates back to the 12th century and...I have no idea what you do with a spoon at a coronation. But it's not something you wear which is what I was interested in.
It holds the consecrated oil for the anointing. The oil is "stored" in the eagle ampulla and poured into the spoon. You can see the two grooves for the archbishop's fingers on the spoon's bowl.

A video by the Royal Collection Trust on the 16th Century Lennox/Darnley Jewel

The Kokoshnik Tiara of Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll transformed into a necklace

British Royal Jewels of the Past

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new one here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom