British Royal Jewels of the Past 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen Mother unfortunatly sold it. I guess she and the Queen dont like amythest. I dont know why, I think the Parure is beautiful.

Princejohnny25 said:
The Queen Mother unfortunatly sold it. I guess she and the Queen dont like amythest. I dont know why, I think the Parure is beautiful.

Another piece of historic jewelry that fell to the death duties. But I don't recall ever seeing the Queen Mum wearing it either.

kimebear said:
Another piece of historic jewelry that fell to the death duties. But I don't recall ever seeing the Queen Mum wearing it either.

It really wasn't historical since Queen Mary acquired the stones in a charity auction and had a complete parure designed. Evidently, she only wore it once and then it disappeared. It was given to Queen Elizabeth as a gift at some point by Queen Mary.

The Queen Mother never wore it and auctioned the parure after The Queen declined it for the royal collection.

Princejohnny25 said:
I think its just because the Windsors don't 'do' parures or at least the varieties including tiaras.

I also personally don't think Beatrice will be seen in a tiara for awhile yet, I don't think she will be attending any tiara events until William and Harry do first.

British Royals come of age at the age of 18 and that is when they can take the throne (without a regency) if need be. I know this because William IV was so happy to live long enough to see his niece Princess Victoria turn 18, so if he died she would be queen in her own right and not have her mother the Duchess of Kent as regent, because King William hated her.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchess of Gloucester - Turquoise Suite with Queen Mary's Pearl & Diamond Choker.

Countess of St Andrews - Cambridge Sapphire Parure

Lady Sarah Chatto - Triumph of Love Turquoise Tiara

Wow wymanda, have you images of these jewels?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Ayvee for the lovely pics and for infos. they helped me very much in making collection of royal jewels photos!

Ayvee,

good detective work, they do seem to be the same necklace. If it is, it has been changed. SJ Philips necklace is missing one bigger amethyst, most likely the clasp stone, it seems to have been replaced by a smaller one and with a different setting. Just a plain metal oval support, whereas all the other stones are surrounded by a row of small diamonds. It does not match.
Anyway I presume the pieces are no longer seen as a parure and meant to be sold together. Maybe taken for a ring? The necklace could sell in an easier way, the tiara may be more difficult.

mims111 said:
Wow wymanda, have you images of these jewels?

The Gloucester Turquoise tiara (from "Tiaras, A history of splendour)

th_81774_GloucesterTurq_370lo.jpg

The "Flames of Love" Tiara

margaret20persian20turquoise20.th.jpg

Queen Mary's Pearl Choker

pic.php

http://img18.imagevenue.com/loc370/th_81774_GloucesterTurq_370lo.jpg

Warren said:
Here is a detail of Queen Alexandra's Coronation costume (Corbis) showing some of her amazing array of jewels, and more particularly the fringe 'girdle' or bordeur. Also note the huge diamond sunburst brooch in the centre of her décolletage.

Queen Alexandra's Diamond Bordeur

QueenAlexandradetailofbordeurbelt.jpg

I'm fairly certain that is one of the fringe tiaras wore as a belt (there is another example of a tiara worn as a belt on Garrard's website, showing a peridot tiara of the Austrian Imperial family worn as such).

Thomas Parkman said:
I am wondering if perhaps the diamond you put at the top on the first picture might work better or ever better still a large emerald as the central gemstone.
Thomas, you've missed the point. Faubla wasn't making a fantasy tiara, he was attempting to recreate how the tiara actually looked. Comparing his work with the originals, he has done an excellent job!

both images: copyright has expired

Attachments

• 5Queen Mary.JPG
    5Queen Mary.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,591
  • 4Queen Mary 1923 cr.JPG
    4Queen Mary 1923 cr.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,213
Last edited:
what happen to the two big stones in the original tiara?

The two big diamonds are cullinan III and IV and are now worn as a brooch by the Queen. The Delhi Durbar tiara had been created so that Quuen Mary could change the stones as she wanted (cambridge emeralds or diamonds). The cullinan V heart shaped diamond could also fit as the center piece of the tiara.
Laurent (aka Faubla2000) who is a boy BTW !!

I may well be in the minority on this one, but I prefer the Delhi Durbar tiara the way it is now, as compared to it with emerald and the big diamonds. It's such a large piece as it is that having those large stones on it is really, IMO, just too much, and too busy looking. I really like it the way it is.

I don't say that the present DDT is terrible but I don't like the way how Camilla had wore it. It was opened too much.

Btw wasn't DDT with the stones wore by the Queen?

How very interesting, faubla. I didn't realize that the DDT is a circlet -- you can't see the back of it in most views. (The restored DDT might be a bit over the top for me -- but I'm not likely to have to wear it!)

You are of course entirely correct, Warren. It is just that my memory of this particular object is that of another ??? setting. It now appears that they changed the gemstones about more than I was aware.

I am referring to a picture in which the central diamond appeared somewhat rounder than the version submitted by the noble Fabula. As I recall the Cullinan whatever on top has sixty carats and the Cullinan whatever in the center has ninety. Quite a large couple of chunks of stone if you will.

I cannot agree with the noble JBcode. I think the restoration of the emeralds restores that level of magnificence that the jewel had when it was first created. I do not care as much for the Cullinans being added to it. I think in the second picture of Queen Mary that you have shown, Warren, neither stone is present??? I think maybe a nice large emerald as the central stone would have worked much better.

But in any case Fabula is to be commended, thanked and congratulated for his good work, my carping to the contrary not withstanding. I am certainly delighted with the restoration of the emeralds indeed. Cheers.

I actually prefer the tiara without the emeralds and with the large diamond at the top. I'm not that big of a fan of emeralds, anyhow.

Oh Thomas--it is so rare that we disagree that I feel quite bad! But, if you makes you feel anybetter, I would love to have seen the Durbar with emeralds and the matching necklace (although it is not favorite) on Camilla at some point. Alas, it is not to be. In the above picture, Queen Mary looks splendid with the emeralds accompanying the DDT, but I do think think that the era has passed. Also, it looks a touch top heavy in the pics that the wonderfully talented Fabula submitted for our intense drooling pleasure. I will also take this moment to say that while I like the DDT as it is, there is something missing what with that sad little empty bar on the middle of the uppermost point. Perhaps something not quite so large would be attractive? Can the great Fabula honor us with an illustration?

Thomas Parkman said:
I think in the second picture of Queen Mary that you have shown, Warren, neither stone is present???
The second pic was taken in 1923. Look closely at the centre of the diadem and you will see the Cullinan IV.

Brain density has taken over again Warren. But didn't somebody say there was a heart shaped diamond they put in the center at some point. I can never get all these Cullinans straight anyway. Maybe that is just as well. I gather that the undaunted Queen Mary was a quick change artist who just loved to bounce her emormous collection of goodies all over the place and used them to tiara hope like nobodys business. Of course if I had all those rocks I would tiara hop like mad too.

I am curious. Has anybody seen a really good photograph of the 1911 (?) Dehli Durbar at which this contraption was worn. I would love to see a phot restoration of it as it was worn on that occassion if it has not been done already. The pictures I have seen of Queen Mary at that time were not all that clear. But then if you are in full regalia a la George V and Queen Mary a few very large stones desplayed before the prostrate and awestruck thousands are a necessity. But those emeralds are gorgeous. I just love emeralds and emeralds if I had any would love me too. Cheers.

Thomas Parkman said:
I am curious. Has anybody seen a really good photograph of the 1911 (?) Dehli Durbar at which this contraption was worn.
Here is a pic of the Delhi Durbar tiara/diadem gracing Queen Mary at the Delhi Durbar of 1911.
This version is with the emeralds but minus the Cullinans. The centre has more in common with Camilla's, but is not the same. This jewel has been worn in many variations.

Pic taken 1911; copyright has expired.

Attachments

• Queen Mary Delhi Durbar cropped.JPG
    Queen Mary Delhi Durbar cropped.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,957
Well, I have to say that the unthinkable has occurred--I am getting ready to change my opinion and counter my own post! Warren, the picture you posted of Queen Mary with the DDT with those emeralds was really stunning--I must echo Thomas and repeat, gorgeous, just absolutely gorgeous.
I wonder why Camilla's version lies differently than Mary's? Has it been altered? Camilla's kind of has a halo type effect, whereas Mary's is more of a crown (which shouldn't be surprising as it was for the India cornonation)--

Speaking of which, does anybody have a picture of the Indian Imperial Regalia. My understanding is that the British Regalia could not be taken out of the country, so in 1911 or so the government ordered a new crown for George V for the presentation and hommage, I suppose you could describe it as, that took place in New Delhi. I wonder what has happened to all of that. Has it disappeared into the vaults forever too.

Since they were making a new goodie for the King, at a cost of some 60,000 quid no less (ie 15 000,000 $$$$ or so in todays inflated play dough) , I guess they decided that they should have one made for the Queen too. King George referred to it as "Mays best tiara."

As for the restoration of the Delhi Durbar tiara I think it would be magnificent with the top row of diamonds, the Cambridge emeralds and the Cullinan V. Now if that ain't sassy I do not know what is, But knowing the superb Queen Mary like I do, I am sure that she would agree with me entirely. Now if we could just bribe the noble Fabula with some chocolate, or other assorted goodies, perhaps he would be able, though he is an hisorical purist of a high order, to come up with this quasai fantasy to pander to my senile delusions and obsessions. Cheers.

Thomas Parkman said:
Speaking of which, does anybody have a picture of the Indian Imperial Regalia. My understanding is that the British Regalia could not be taken out of the country, so in 1911 or so the government ordered a new crown for George V for the presentation and hommage, I suppose you could describe it as, that took place in New Delhi. I wonder what has happened to all of that. Has it disappeared into the vaults forever too.
The are on display at the Tower of London.

You know, I just love the original spikes on top of the Delhi Durbar tiara. They make it look so 'queenly'.

Well, Warren, I must say that the Indian thing is a bit of a dissapointment. But then what do you expect for a mere 60000 quid?? A ruby,not particularly distinguished, some really nice sapphires and a lot of seemingly decent diamonds. Why on earth no emeralds? But there you are, after the restorations of the noble Fabula I guess one must come crashing back to earth sometime.

I guess I have just been ruined by the Imperial State Diadem, with the massive Cullinan and the Black Prince's ruby, actually a spinel and the other assorted goodies. I want my crowns bg, big stones , colorful and gaudy with lots of gold and diamonds, and pearls and emeralds and sapphires and the whole nine yards. Robes, orbs, scepters, jeweled swords, the whole over the top explosion if you please. The thing you sent me of somebody from Bavaria was just the thing to hit the spot. Perhaps the Indian trinket will grow on me with time????? Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom