The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 AM
Gentry

I know that the english collection of sparkel is big, but I do wonder if it erxisted a complete paruere in the collection?

Old 07-21-2012, 04:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahkoo
I know that the english collection of sparkel is big, but I do wonder if it erxisted a complete paruere in the collection?
Actually there a few completely matching all from the original source - examples would be the late Princess Margaret's turquoise suite, the Duchess of Gloucester's turquoise, emerald and kunzite parures. The Cambridge Sapphires owned by the Duchess of Kent is complete - (just now minus the original tiara). The Queen owns suites of jewels which have the same colour stones just not complete matching parures!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Hi, newbie here.
I have a question about Queen Alexandra's Amethyst necklace. I discovered a new picture of it on a russian forum among pictures of Romanov jewels. I know QA has russian connections but is the necklace russian in origin or is it just a mislabeled picture?

Picture:
http://f7.ifotki.info/org/46a262f532...9f75063627.jpg

Source page:
Royals:

The necklace at Royal-magazin.de
Jewels of Queen Alexandra | Amethysts Necklace Tiara | Princess Maud Countess of Southesk
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Welcome, BellaUK!

Queen Alexandra's amethyst necklace has no Russian provenance.
The necklace, which features 5 amethysts set within diamond wreaths and scrolls, was actually designed by Alexandra herself.
This necklace might have been a convertible piece and worn as a tiara as well; however, there are no known pictures or portraits of anyone wearing it in that way.

There is, however, a mysterious Queen Alexandra's amethyst tiara with possible Russian association. The tiara's history and origins are a bit uncertain: it was certainly sold at an auction in 1946 and at that point belonged to Princess Maud (who presumably inherited it from her mother, Princess Louise, Princess Royal - Edward VII and Queen Alexandra's eldest daughter). It was said to have indeed had a Russian provenance because the overall design and the quality of the amethysts suggested a Russian origin. Supposedly, the tiara was a gift from either Alexandra's sister, Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia, or Emperor Alexander III himself.

The picture you linked shows Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk wearing the necklace and possibly the amethyst tiara as well (although whether it was the aforementioned Queen Alexandra's amethyst tiara is debatable).
Old 08-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

Gorgeous amethyst Necklace , I really Loved it very much , very Antique piece , really Masterpiece , Thank you Artemisia .
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Commoner

Does anyone know if the auctioned pieces were kept intact or is it more likely that they were broken up? I've always wondered whether jewels auctioned are kept intact due to historical significance or are more valuable when worked into newer settings?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Nobility

Last week I was reading again "The Queen's Diamonds" and on page 163 there was a picture of Queen Mary wearing the Love Trophy Collar and one short diamond collet necklace with round elements hanging from it. I knew I had seen this picture before and I finally have found a similar one on this thread (post 132) from the same session of photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Acknowledgement goes to Eva at RJOTWMB, who presented this high-quality postcard of a youngish-looking and tightly-corsetted Queen Mary. (copyright expired)

o
Finally I could also find the Duchess of Cambridge's diamond and ruby necklace said to be a wedding gift from a friend on post 132 on the thread Duchess of Cambridge Jewels. Don't the round elements and vertical strings of diamonds from both pictures look remarkably alike?
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	286488
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Queen Alexandra's Wedding Parure

This set is absolutely stunning! Shame that the tiara does not exists. The brooch, earrings, and necklace are very beautiful. Love those pearls. Hopefully the Queen will wear the necklace someday.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Courtier

Marinas sapphire brooches

Spheno that is a beautiful closeup photo of an amethyst brooch. Looks like Princes Michael of Kent wearing it, but it is not the one I am talking about. This is the only close up photo I have of the one the Queen Mother wore.
Do you have any information about the brooch you posted?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Qu Mums sapphire flower brooch was Marina of Kents.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	287265  
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Queen Alexandra's Wedding Parure

This set is absolutely stunning! Shame that the tiara does not exists. The brooch, earrings, and necklace are very beautiful. Love those pearls. Hopefully the Queen will wear the necklace someday.
The Diamond tiara is stunning,I wonder if has been worn recently?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Diamond tiara is stunning,I wonder if has been worn recently?
Unfortunately it doesn't exist anymore.
See here: The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Rundell Tiara

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: My Ultimate Tiara Collection: Queen Victoria's Emerald and Diamond Tiara

Was not really sure about this tiara at first but it is growing on me. The design is very unique, and the emeralds are stunning.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Majesty

Nice picture of The Duchess of Teck wearing Teck Crescent Tiara:
Royally Speaking (The Teck*Crescent*Tiara (Great*Britain))
Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

Gorgeous tiara!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Nice picture of The Duchess of Teck wearing Teck Crescent Tiara:
Royally Speaking (The Teck*Crescent*Tiara (Great*Britain))
In comparison, without the two-tier diamond rivière base, the current version of the Teck Crescent appears incomplete.

1. then: the Teck Crescent - sitting pretty atop a solid and glittering foundation;
2. now: the Teck Cresent c2000 - adrift, exposed and lacking oomph (relatively speaking).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UK Teck Crescent Tiara.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	287433   Click image for larger version

Name:	UK Teck Rose & Crescent Tiara.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	287434  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Majesty

I see what you mean, it appears incomplete without the base. I think someone have to bring these jewels out of prison.

I know Princess Margaret & Queen Mother used to wear the necklace that goes along with the tiara (Teck Circle Necklace):

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Teck Tiaras

I think it's a very nice collection but haven't seen the light of day in decades. I know it's said to be on loan to Camilla but she seem to stick with the other jewels of The Queen Mother's. I think this tiara and necklace would be perfect for The Duchess of Cambridge. It stands out with darker hair.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Courtier

I ve read on the Royal Jewels Message Board thet the Teck necklace is in the possesion of the Linleys - if that's true it's no longer an option for the main line
Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Majesty

Then at least dust off the tiara and make use of it. I really don't see the Linley's making any use of the necklace.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Nobility

I think they will be seen again. Once the old guard of chair filler retire off into the sunset, new members will be needed. The Linleys mat pop up at a state dinner or two every now and then. Semi-Royal cousins of the Sovereign are needed to sit close to important foreign guest, and that is a long table at Windsor to sprinkle royals around.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I think they will be seen again. Once the old guard of chair filler retire off into the sunset, new members will be needed. The Linleys mat pop up at a state dinner or two every now and then. Semi-Royal cousins of the Sovereign are needed to sit close to important foreign guest, and that is a long table at Windsor to sprinkle royals around.
Isn't that a rather rude way to refer to people who have devoted their lives to the service of the nation?

Tags
british, emerald, jewellery, past, queen victoria, tiaras