The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, unfortunately, that could be the dire alternative - that the tiara is no longer intact.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Rundell Tiara

This tiara is wonderful! I love the full version.It also looks beautiful with the stars.I don't know which version is more stunning!
I think the Rundell is a wonderful tiara. Given how long it has not been seen, and how prolific a user of jewels Queen Mary was, I would be surprised if it were still intact. Lets not forget Queen Mary, in addition to enjoying her jewels, actively rearranged her jewels to match her requirements.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: The Splendor of Queen Alexandra

The Queen sure knew how to use her jewels! She carried it off with so much elegance and grace.One might say she wore too much jewelery at the coronation but,I think she pulled it off.The necklaces were exquisite! I also love her consort crown.The tiaras she wore are all my perseonal favorites.The Queen was always marvelous.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think the Rundell is a wonderful tiara. Given how long it has not been seen, and how prolific a user of jewels Queen Mary was, I would be surprised if it were still intact. Lets not forget Queen Mary, in addition to enjoying her jewels, actively rearranged her jewels to match her requirements.
I think it was more likely Alexandra who broke it up, though. There doesn't seem to be any photos of her wearing it in her later years and one would think Mary would have worn the tiara in its original state at least once before changing it.

Of course, the hidden optimist in me wants it to be slumbering in some neglected corner of the vaults, waiting to be rediscovered by some future magpie.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Pearls!! Be still, my heart:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor
Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Mary's Loop tiara is stunning! I wonder what happened to it.

Here is also a pic of her wearing it.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

It's almost like the Swedish Connaught tiara with the loops. That is a towering yet delicate tiara and an extremely high base that would be hard to conceal without the right tiara hair. I really hope this wasn't broken down for other pieces.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Administrator

It has been suggested that the diamonds from the Loop Tiara were used in the making of the Delhi Durbar Diadem.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks very Miss Universe.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, CP, for that photo. Mary wore the loop tiara so well; perfect with her hair and she could carry it elegantly. If it's true that it may be been disassembled for the Delhi diadem, what a great loss but I suppose Mary considered that to be well worth it for the Delhi.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
It looks very Miss Universe.
I was having a difficult time trying to articulate why I dislike the loop tiara and I thank you for putting it into words for me.

It's just too vertical for my tastes and it reminds me of that bit of barbed wire Silvia insists on wearing on her head...
Old 03-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
It has been suggested that the diamonds from the Loop Tiara were used in the making of the Delhi Durbar Diadem.
Let's try to look for the detalis here. I can see some parts of it already!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Garrards wouldn't have used "parts"; they would have created an entirely new frame for the Delhi Durbar.
The Loop, minus its many diamonds, would have ended up an empty piece of gold wire lattice-work and then it's likely to have been melted down.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

Garrards wouldn't have used "parts"; they would have created an entirely new frame for the Delhi Durbar.
The Loop, minus its many diamonds, would have ended up an empty piece of gold wire lattice-work and then it's likely to have been melted down.
Yes I meant diamonds not "parts". Typed the wrong word!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Commoner

There is a new look Royal Collection website with a lot more items from the collection, lots of brooches from the past that I haven't seen before, but what stood out was this Indian ruby, diamond and pearl tiara originally presented to Queen Victoria:

Tiara | The Royal Collection
Old 03-24-2012, 04:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
There is a new look Royal Collection website with a lot more items from the collection, lots of brooches from the past that I haven't seen before, but what stood out was this Indian ruby, diamond and pearl tiara originally presented to Queen Victoria:

Tiara | The Royal Collection
WOW!!!
What an intersting piece, very unique! It's a shame that it has never been seen worn. Althought the style is very unusual and far from traditional, the tiara is not really ugly. And the stones are impressive.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Serene Highness

I've never even seen this tiara, where did it come from and why hasn't the Queen worn it?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I've never even seen this tiara, where did it come from and why hasn't the Queen worn it?
As it says on the link, it was presented to Queen Victoria & placed among Indian Collection belonging to Crown by King George V in 1924.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

The Indian tiara is magnificent, their gems are the best!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Those rubies are divine. Is it still part of the Royal Collection? Could it still be worn by the Queen?

Tags
british, emerald, jewellery, past, queen victoria, tiaras