British Royal Jewels of the Past 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This book really is solving a lot of mysteries about the Windsor jewel vault.

It also says the Teck tiara is on loan to Camilla. The question is why haven't we seen it on her?

Also the Surry Tiara was broken up. Some of the stones replaced the pearls on the "Girls" and the rest went to the creation of the Gloucester Palmette Tiara.

Queen Mary's Loop was broken up in favor of the Dehli Durbar (although I heard rumors of that before so it's not that surprising).

To me, the worse is confirmation that the Nizam of Hyderbad tiara has indeed been broken up to create the Burmese Ruby Horror.

On a happier note, we now know that Alexandra's circlet went to Maude and is being worn regularly by Sonja (sans the fleur de lys motifs).

Well, I am heartbroken with all the dismatled tiaras:Rundell (which was never called so.. lol), Nizam of Hyderabad, Girls of England, Surrey and Cartier Loop...

I really wanted to see Camila wearing the Rundell and Katherine the Nizan...

Maybe the Teck tiara is being held for a particular occasion for Camilla to wear, or not until Charles ascends the throne.

:previous:
When Charles ascends to the Throne, Camilla will have full access to all jewels in the vaults. I do hope we'll get to see the Teck Tiara before that.
Confirmation that those great tiaras - Rundell, Nizam of Hyderabad, and Girls of England - is truly devastating for all jewellery watchers. :sad:

Artemisia said:
When Charles ascends to the Throne, Camilla will have full access to all jewels in the vaults. I do hope we'll get to see the Teck Tiara before that.
Confirmation that those great tiaras - Rundell, Nizam of Hyderabad, and Girls of England - is truly devastating for all jewellery watchers. :sad:

The question is... Which Teck tiara? The crescent and rose or the wheatear or some other? HRH the Duchess of Teck had an extensive collection of jewels!

The question is... Which Teck tiara? The crescent and rose or the wheatear or some other? HRH the Duchess of Teck had an extensive collection of jewels!

In the thread linked it was said to be the Rose and Crescent.

I must say, when I first read "Teck Tiara", I automatically assumed the Duchess of Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara was meant.
Of course, it can be one of the other tiaras in royal vaults (Queen Mary wore a lot of jewellery), but for me Teck tiara always meant the Teck Rose and Crescent one.

I must say, when I first read "Teck Tiara", I automatically assumed the Duchess of Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara was meant.
Of course, it can be one of the other tiaras in royal vaults (Queen Mary wore a lot of jewellery), but for me Teck tiara always meant the Teck Rose and Crescent one.

That's the tiara I always assumed to be the Teck one, too.

It also says the Teck tiara is on loan to Camilla. The question is why haven't we seen it on her?

Maybe the Teck tiara is being held for a particular occasion for Camilla to wear, or not until Charles ascends the throne.

My sense is that if Camilla has not worn the Teck tiara so far, she is unlikely to wear it in a hurry, if at all. She seems to have settled on a few favourite pieces (including the Greville Boucheron tiara) and tends to use them frequently.

That said, it is interesting that HM gave (loaned) Camilla 3 tiaras, a number higher than any other member of the BRF other than HM herself.

did wallis simpson steal some of the royal jewels
also do any of you think kate will wear the spencer tiara

Probably not on Wallis.
Definite no on Kate and the Spencer Tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever one's opinion of Wallis Simpson, I have not yet heard anyone calling her a thief. Having lost access to the Crown Jewels, the Duke of Windsor instead commissioned some brand new (and mostly tacky) pieces for Wallis.

In regards to Kate, the Spencer Tiara is the property of the Earl of Spencer; I don't see a situation when it will be required for the Earl to loan the tiara to Kate, who already has access to royal jewellery vaults.

Discussion of the book "The Queen's Diamonds" has been moved to the appropriate thread in the Royal Library subforum.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since the story deals with British Royal Jewels and the Past, this probably the best place.

French demand Crown Jewels from the Queen to compensate for 1499 murder of Edward Plantagenet
A French city which produced 14 English kings is demanding the Crown Jewels as compensation from the Queen for the murder of its last pretender to the throne. Angers, which is in the Loire Valley west of Paris, was once the capital of the Anjou province and the House of Plantagenet. 'As redress for the execution of Edward, Angers today demands that the Crown Jewels of England be transferred to Angers,' reads a petition posted on the city's official website.
This has to be a joke! :ROFLMAO:

One of the most outrageous things I've read in a very long time. Needs to be filed in the :pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly:department.

I'll do one better. As an American, I demand reparations from the Queen for the taxes my ancestors paid to the crown.

I'll take my reparations in the form of either the Cambridge Lover's knot or the sapphire bandeau.

I await Her Majesty's response.

:)

If I remember my history correctly, Count Geoffrey of Anjou, the founder of the Plantagenet dynasty, married Matilda of England, Henry I's daughter, in the 12th century and their son, Henry II, ruled England only through his mother's claim to the English throne. Henry had a variety of titles and holdings through his inheritance from both his parents, including Duke of Normandy, Count of Anjou and Maine, among others. While Henry had to swear fealty to Louis VII of France and later Philip Augustus for his French holdings, he ruled England solely through his English inheritance, not through Geoffrey of Anjou nor France. After his marriage to Eleanor of Aquitaine, he added Duke of Aquitaine to his extensive holdings. He certainly passed a rich legacy to his children and further descendants including French, Norman, Aquitainian and Angevin bloodlines, as well as the infamous Angevin temper.

Last edited:
They are not disputing that; Angers' compensation is based on the fact that when Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick was murdered in the Tower of London on orders of Henry VII Tudor in 1499, the House of Plantagenet became extinct in the legitimate male line. Edward Plantagenet was also the last pretender to the Throne of Angers, so they lost their last possible king-to-be.

Edward Plantagenet was the son of George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence (the one who is rumoured to have been executed by a very original method, having been drowned in a butt of Malmsey wine), himself the son of Richard of York, 3rd Duke of York, and brother to Edward IV and Richard III.

@HRHHermione - I wouldn't settle anything but one of the (numbered) Cullinans; Granny's Chips would just do. ;)

I think they're claiming to the French throne since English rulers also considered themselves the rightful rulers of France. The only title I was aware that existed in Anjou was that of count. What a stretch; they can't even get an extant pretender to claim a non-existent French throne, let alone a line that died out centuries ago!

Last edited:
As pretender to the French throne? That's really a stretch!
Not the French Throne - just the Throne of Angers only, I'm afraid. ;)
Of course, English Monarchs since Edward III did claim the title "King/Queen of France". Edward was the last Plantagenet in the legitimate male line, so it could be said he was a pretender to the French Throne as well, although since at the time the house of Valois was quite firmly seated on the French Throne, it was hardly relevant.

Last edited:
I always thought there were counts of Anjou, not dukes. Thanks for the explanation, Artemisia.

Well it is a bit of a joke that in the end achieves the councils goal of bringing attention to their city.

Reminds me of the time the American government tried to buy their embassy in London from the Duke of Westminster. He refused to sell but instead suggested a swap for property his family once owned in the US. When asked where that property was he replied that he believed it was now known as the state of Maryland. Needless to say that ended that issue.

Last edited:
I always thought there were counts of Anjou, not dukes. Thanks for the explanation, Artemisia.
And you were quite right. :flowers:
Henry II's father was Count of Anjou, not Duke - my fault (already corrected). The Counts of Anjoy held lands around Orleans and Angers.

It was the marriage to Eleanor of Aquitaine that really expanded holdings for Henry when he was 'only' the son of a count. Lands mostly lost by his youngest son.

LaRae

I just love medieval history, along with the jewels!!:D

To be sure. Its fascinating history. Sure wish I had discussions going on like this back when I was in school and studying history. :flowers:

I'm sure the state of Maryland would have been entirely acquiescent in a trade-off, you think?;)

I'm sure the state of Maryland would have been entirely acquiescent in a trade-off, you think?;)

One thing they'd not have to put up with is all the mudslinging politicians here in election year. :D.

Perhaps that's another reason that the Windsors and royalty are getting an upsurge in popularity. People are just sick of US politicians. :whistling:

As the titular Duke, Elizabeth II is surely entitled to claim reparations from the French Republic (successor state to the Kingdom of France) for the 1204 confiscation of the Duchy of Normandy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom