The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quel Horror! I've always thought that the tiara the Countess of Wessex for at the Danish Royal Wedding was from the Rundell, has this been discredited? But if it has passed onto the Norwegian RF and been broken up, what shame. We all know Mette-Marit could do with a gorgeous regal sparkler!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Quel Horror! I've always thought that the tiara the Countess of Wessex for at the Danish Royal Wedding was from the Rundell, has this been discredited? But if it has passed onto the Norwegian RF and been broken up, what shame. We all know Mette-Marit could do with a gorgeous regal sparkler!
Now, that is the truth (about Mette Marit)--she has a two pitiful tiaras, in my opinion. If anyone out there needs another tiara it is her.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

The mystery of the Rundell

I will find a link to the photograph of the 'suspected to have been interfered with' version of what 'may' be the Rundell as worn by Queen Maud.

As to the division of Queen Alexandra's trove of jewels at Sandringham in the spring of 1926, Maud was in at the 'Bagsy I have that one!!!!' along with George, May and Toria, only Louise was absent, 'resting' at Portman Square as she was still recuperating from a gastric haemorrhage.

I was always so sure that Queen Mary would have 'Bagsied' the Rundell as it was such a beautiful piece of gear and we all know what 'Magpie-like' proclivities Queen Mary had for beautiful things! But anyway I will try and find the link that made me finally accept that it probably did go to Maud!

Even now ages after discovering this revelation, I still half-hope it is in fact wrong and that the Rundell is lurking a leather clad velvet lined crown embossed and cyphered box somewhere in the depths of vaults at Buckingham Palace, just waiting to be rediscovered!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Aristocracy

The Rundell

A discussion has begun again about the Rundell on the 'Tiaras and jewels Camilla might wear' thread and I thought perhaps it aught to be tagged to here as it is about the whereabouts of the elusive Rundell!

Sometime ago on another forum I read that it had been concluded that the Rundell had 'probably' passed to Queen Maud of Norway, based, it appeared on rather persuasive evidence that the tiara had gone through an adaptation via the regal circlet QA wore in 1913 to Alix Connaught's wedding and on to Maud who wore it in the Maltese Cross form! Now I am beginning to doubt this hypothesis as the bandeau of the Rundell is different from that of the Maltese Cross....but it is hard to establish whether it is different from the regal circlet QA wore in 1913. After further snuffling around on the internet like a truffle hog trained to seek out pictures of lovely jewels I wonder whether the circlet worn by QA in 1913 may perhaps be Queen Victoria's regal circlet, which certainly did not pass to Maud to become the Maltese Cross tiara, as Cookie emptied the Regal circlet of its diamonds in 1937 to use the stones in her very own crown.

This is only a suggestion as I did not want to leave any possible stones unturned in the matter of the Rundell. I suggested that one of the Norwegian tiaras may in fact be part of the Rundell i.e the Maltese Cross based on chatter from this other forum....but now I am quite sure that the Rundell cannot be the Maltese Cross and more than likely is not the regal circlet affair of 1913 either! As the Rundell was a wedding gift, I cannot imagine that QA would have had the bandeau so radically altered, in part due to the significance of its sentimentality to her, although I concede that with the detachable trefoils and whatnot the Rundell could appear very different as the wearer desired, with several variations available such as with lattice lozenges or without, or with stars inserted instead!

Therefore the Rundell probably is intact lying neglected in the vaults at BP, though why such a magnificent thing should have been left to gather dust in its case since 1925 leaves the question....why?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Aristocracy

I thought it probably appropriate to add a little more about the Rundell and its wherabouts on the mystery thread for anyone who may like to have a little peep! I have been trying to find the original discussion that planted the seeds about the Norwegian theory, but can't find it in a complete form...nevertheless I did find some interesting conjecture that has since been more or less quashed!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Gentry

The Rundell tiara rather stay in the BRF due to the fact that Queen Alexandra had died without last will and RF shared her jewels. They deciced that all pieces she got as a wedding gifts will go to Queen Mary. The Rundell tiara was her wedding gift.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here is an image of Queen Mary wearing the now sold Amethyst Parure. Thanks to Bobby for posting this on another website. I saw it and just had to repost it.

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/fi...ncessTeck1.jpg
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Do you know who sold the Amethyst Parue? Was it sold to a private individual?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Aristocracy

Those amethysts were the ones Queen Mary won at a raffle aren't they PrinceJohnny? The ones that Cookie apparently later flogged!

Such a shame (Big sigh!!!!!) that they were not kept as an alternative to the Kent amethyst parure....which the Queen hardly ever wears anyway! I think the DOC could have really carried off the Raffle prize amethysts splendidly! Ho-Hum!

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Who is Cookie?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ho-hum indeed! Yes it is the Parure that Queen Mary won in a raffle.

Cookie is the Queen Mother. Thats the nickname that Wallis Simpson gave (affectionately or maliciously is up to you) to the Queen Mum. Some say she called her that because the Queen Mum wasnt the thinnest of ladys.

Amethyst havent been popular with the older generation of royals, but they work wonderfully on Camilla so hopefully we will get to see some more in the future. At least the Kent demi-parure hopefully.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother......it's a pet name! It evolved from the Windsors, a nasty comment made by David is said to have referred to the Queen Mother as 'the Scottish Cook,' and Wallis apparently altered it to 'Cookie.' Although the origins of this pet name were not particularly pleasant I think the name suits QEQM and is meant on my part in a touch-in-cheek way!

The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire used to call QEQM 'Cake' because of the way QEQM would exclaim 'Ah the Cake!' at parties with such a flourish of relish and glee! Having heard about this little vignette I feel that 'Cookie' sounds even more relative to QEQM....IMHO that is!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Administrator

You know I thought of Cookie. Just read some Windsor's book and they mention Cookie, Shirley Temple, etc. Well...Cookie is tamed to what I am sure the Queen Mother called her....I rather be called Cookie (knowing that I was Queen) than Ms. Warfield/Mrs. Simpson (longer after I became the Duchess of Windsor). And then there is that HRH Thing. Mean I know...but if shirts were given out in 1936 I would be Team Albert

Kent Demi Parue...yes...very nice. As I view this thread, I looked it up in my new book. The Queen's Jewels. Very nice indeed. Thanks to all who suggested the book!
I love it!

I tried to look up the Ameythst Parue but since its been sold its not in the book.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

ooo, I'm still behind and haven't gotten the Queen's Jewels yet. Must write a letter to Santa asap!

haha, that team Albert bit made me chuckle. But I would totally be team Albert as well. Whilst I did find the Duchess of Windsor to be a striking lady and share her passion for jewels, the Queen mum is my cup of tea. What a lady.

I too like Cookie as a nickname for the QEQM. It does suit her in an affectionat way. One of the reasons why I love her and relate to her, is my excitement and glee whenever I see a bit of booze and cake. Ah, time to go abuse my fridge.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Royal Highness

Did someone say Kent Demi-Amethyst Parue??
It is one of my very favorite sets; it belonged to Queen Victoria's mother and is the oldest set of jewelry in the royal collection, containing three brooches, earrings, necklace, and two hair combs. The Queen has worn one of the brooches with some degree of regularity, but only once has she worn the necklace and earrings, on a State Visit to Portugal in March, 1985. She wore the necklace, earrings, and a brooch with the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected (nice detail on tiara and you can see the sunburst design on the settings of the necklace)

I think the design of the necklace rather favors the pink topazes worn by Queen Silvia:
Queen Silvia Of Sweden Pictures - Nobel Prize Award Ceremony 2008 - Zimbio

I like that design era.

I do agree, the Duchess of Cornwall appears to enjoy amethysts (she has those wonderful large drop earrings that I just drool over) and would certainly do justice to the Kent demi-parue.
The Amethyst parue that Queen Mary created from lottery stones consisted of a necklace, tiara, earrings, ring, and brooch. The Queen Mum apparently had some gaming debts she needed to pay and didn't really care for the set so she sold it.
It has most recently turned up at SJ Phillips antique jewelry for sale:
FullSCreenZoom
You can click on the photo and zoom it and see the detail of the settings as well as the gorgeous deep color of the ten large oval amethysts, the bales on the amethyst drops. I think it's a magnificant piece of jewelry. Camilla would have dazzled in this.

Color pics of the parue: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1&d=1092970214

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Aristocracy

Zonk I think Team Albert has another recruit here!

I agree Johnny....may I call you that now that we are 'forumally' acquainted YRH?

And Janet's marvelous piccie links.....you're an absolute Angel....thank you for the drool-inducing feast for the eyes! Goodness those rocks are so magnificent! You are so right about the similarity to Queen Silvia's pink topazes they are absolutely divine too

As for 'Cookie' as a pet name for QEQM....it just has a lovely yummy feel and sound to it......and she did like her cake and eating it too! As for the booze..... well I like to think I try and imitate/pay tribute to QEQM in that department too! Oooooooh.... another Gin sans Dubonnet is being poured as I tap one-handedly and I must go and cut a slice of lime and get the tonic from the fridge! I am Parched!!!!!!

Ooooops I was so busy typing I have poured a positively 'majestic' slosh of Gin in my glass....oh well never mind, I can't be bothered to go hunting for a funnel to pour a bit back into the bottle.....and I simply can't let it go to waste and let the fruit flies get at it....I'll just have to have a rather bigger night cap than I had intended!

Tinkerty Tonk old fruits!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Administrator

JCB...thanks for the picture...its the same picture that is The Queen's Jewels (the first picture)

I love love the picture of the parue that was sold by The Queen Mother. So we are assuming that it was a private sale? I guess so if know one has seen in the last couple of years.

What a shame but really the family has enough jewels and unfortunately for us, we live in a world that doesn't really dress up anymore.

So in keeping in the name of this thread....is there a book that details OLD OLD British jewelry?!

Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Royal Highness

It is the same as the one in the Field text--but so much better on the getty site!
I seem to recall that the Queen Mum amethyst parue was sold at auction, and that the necklace later turned up at SJ Phillips. Incidentally, it turned up on the neck of Anna Wintour in September 2007 (and it looks horrible with that dress. I expected more from Anna Wintour):

Here she is with Suzy Menkes (author of The Royal Jewels) Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

and what is up with that head down tilt all the time?? Argh.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

I think the Anna Wintour dress is nice but the necklace and the dress clash dreadfully.

Its the Anna Wintour tilt/mystery...who knows.

Its a shame that precious jewels are leaving old titled monied families like royalty. But honestly, famous people tend to wear jewels more than ever so why not. Its a shame for something like that to be hidden in a vault so no one can enjoy it.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I agree with you about that dress and the necklace being all wrong.
The dress should stand alone & the necklace be worn with a more scooped decolletage style dress, preferrably in white.

The Queen in Portugal with that mauve dress and amethysts looks great. It all works together especially the colours. And, she always looks so good smiling......

I'm not sure where I heard this but I sem to remember that amethysts were viewed as a 'mourning jewel'; so maybe that's why The Queen Mother didn't like them... Just a thought!!

Larry

Tags
british, emerald, jewellery, past, queen victoria, tiaras