British Royal Jewels of the Past 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Queen Mary ever wore them? [snake bracelets]
v Two pics of Queen Mary (the first 1905) wearing what MAY be snake bracelets.
Images not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Queen Mary, Princess of Wales 1905.jpg
    Queen Mary, Princess of Wales 1905.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 3,014
  • Queen Mary6.jpg
    Queen Mary6.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 426
Do you know something about these two pair of earrings worn by Queen Victoria?

1) the big earring she wore on her wedding day ( you can see them also in that photo Google Images)
2) in a page I've discovered that these are Queen Victoria's fringe earrings: Google Images is it true?

Queen Victoria's fringe earrings
Leslie Field states "In April of 1850 Queen Victoria purchased a pair of diamond earrings whose emerald drops were framed by a swinging diamond fringe. In her will she left them to the Crown."

Do you know something about these two pair of earrings worn by Queen Victoria?

1) the big earring she wore on her wedding day ( you can see them also in that photo Google Images)
I believe these were later turned into necklace pendants by Q Alexandra and later were given to QMaud ,IMO these are the same big diamond earrings that Q Sonia of Norway wears

I believe these were later turned into necklace pendants by Q Alexandra and later were given to QMaud ,IMO these are the same big diamond earrings that Q Sonia of Norway wears
Dear Sunflower thank you for your answer. I've just found on the net (Turkish diamond rosettes |Queen Victoria of England and Great Britain) that Queen Victoria's Turkish/Rosette necklace and earrings were given to her son Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught.
Unfortunately I've not found new informations about Queen Victoria's Fringe Earrings.

Leslie Field states "In April of 1850 Queen Victoria purchased a pair of diamond earrings whose emerald drops were framed by a swinging diamond fringe. In her will she left them to the Crown."
Thank you very much Warren!

...Queen Victoria's Turkish/Rosette necklace and earrings were given to her son Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught.
[my bolding]
Regarding the earrings, I think you may be reading too much into it. It says "[Queen Victoria] is wearing her heart-shaped diamond pendant together with the rosette necklace, which she later gave to her son Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught." It doesn't refer to the earrings. The "heart-shaped diamond pendant" is an attachment to the rosette necklace as seen in the illustration.

Last edited:
I was looking that photo of Queen Mary and I noticed something.
Royal Turquoise Tiara - Parure | Queen Mary, Princess of Teck
She's wearing 3 necklaces: may the one on the top be the base of the Girls of Great Britain tiara? I know that she removed it from the tiara and later Queen Elizabeth re-united the two parts.
What do you think about it?

:previous:
The base of the Girls of Great Britain Tiara incorporates diamonds in a distinctive alternate lozange and brilliant-cut pattern set between two fairly solid bars of diamonds.

V Tiara base
Image cropped from a much larger photograph and not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Girls of Great Britain base.jpg
    Girls of Great Britain base.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 338
Yes, I think you're right. Thanks Warren!

Last edited:
What a little beauty. So delicate yet loaded with diamonds and sapphires. I really hope the Harewoods haven't sold it, given its regal provenance, and that one of these days we'll see it adorning one of the females from the family.

Last edited:
I just love this tiara! It would be so sad if it's been sold off. :ermm:

For me, this tiara ranks high on my list of the tiaras I'd like to play with! It's got everything you'd want to see in a tiara - delicacy, intricacy of workmanship, DIAMONDS - and what really appeals to me is the height. That's why I also like the Poltimore so much, too.

I cant help but thinking how wonderful this would be on the Duchess of Cambridge, and how it would go so nicely with her engagement ring. Seeing how she favors smaller "bling", it think it would be perfect on Catherine.

Not going to happen as the tiara belongs to the Earls of Harewood

I prefer the fringe tiara as a necklace this time!

WOW!

Thanks Warren for starting this post; I have jewellery envy!!!:lol:

I would love for todays Royal Ladies to wear Jewels this proudly, and for the loyal subjects to be happy to see them do it!

I wasn't aware of this, but Queen Victoria's diamond and sapphire tiara has reappeared. I guess the Harewood family is not longer in possession of it. A shame, a true item of beauty:

Queen Victoria

Last edited:
Thank you for the link, Baroness. Did I read this right in that the article conveniently failed to say who was currently in possession of the piece?

How interesting would that talk have been though? I always enjoy Geoffrey Munn on the Antiques Roadshow, he really understand the hidden messages behind gifts of jewellery.

Isn't it possible it still belongs to the Earl of Harewood, but was loaned to Munn for his little talk in order to raise money for charity.

The article certainly didn't rule that possibility out. It just seemed to deliberately not say anything about who currently owns it.

Isn't it possible it still belongs to the Earl of Harewood, but was loaned to Munn for his little talk in order to raise money for charity.

That could be correct; the article said that it turned up in a private home giving an impression that it might have changed ownership. But perhaps it was alluding to the talk that Munn gave, so maybe it was loaned out for the event. Very ambiguous!:glare: I really hope the Harewoods still own this; it's too important a piece of jewelry to pass from the family.

And, EIIR, I envy you that Geoffrey Munn is on the British Antiques Roadshow; I wish he'd do a tour on the American version. He's the foremost authority on royal jewels, I believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom