The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Mrs. Greville left her jewels to The Queen Mother because HM had relatively little to wear, mostly because she was not given a huge quantity of jewels upon her marriage to Prince Albert, who was never expected to become King, and the fact that most of the royal collection remained with Queen Mary until her death in 1953.

The Sri Lankan sapphire was never definitively identified, but there was speculation it may have been part of a collection of unset gems in the royal collection selected by The Queen Mother as a wedding gift to Diana. Indeed, the sapphire and diamond piece was covered in her divorce agreement as part of the jewels given to her by The Queen and/or Queen Mother that could never be sold or lent in her lifetime.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Heir Apparent

ennuispleen, if you look at the Diana jewellery threads, you will seeplenty of pictures of Diana in the sapphire choker- she used it quite a lot.

Welcome aboard!

It is my understanding that the Queen has only worn the stomacher once, which was on one of the events at Windsor celebrating her golden jubilee in 2002. I am sorry I am not very good with links to other posts, but again, you will find the pictures in HMs jewellery thread.

It is possible that the Collier Resille is made up of Indian stones. It is no secret that the British imperialists plundered Indian royal treasures considerably, so it is entirely plausible that that is where the diamonds fro the Collier were acquired.

The present Queen is very conscience of the history around some of these jewels, and I guess, is one of the reasons she is so restrained in their use. An example of this is that Camilla has only used the Delhi Durbar tiara once.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennuispleen View Post
an image of the Queen wearing Alexandra's stomacher
You'll find a picture of HM wearing the stomacher in the first post of the Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras thread;
You'll find some information about Mrs Greville in the Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother thread and by typing 'Greville' into the search function;
As Muriel has advised, there are plenty of Diana images in the Diana, Princess of Wales jewellery threads, parts 1 and 2.

The Royal Jewels forum is fairly well organised so it is better to check the thread(s) relating to the person you are interested in and post questions in the relevant thread.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 PM

has anyone noticed that Queen Alexanders collier resille is almost identicle to another produced by Cartier in 1903 commisioned by the courtesan La Belle Otero -http://www.royal-magazin./treasure/otero-la-belle.htm
Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Oh and thnk you all for your information and interest!
Sorry i will try that again - La belle Otero einzigartiger Schmuck | Belle Epoque Jewellery
Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Aristocracy

So where did these comes from??

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynard View Post
Queen Mary aquired this Amethyst parure at an auction? Do you have any information about that?
Actually I have found these photos... if these jewels were sold, where did these come from?
http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/tM...1546/GW264H195
http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/wd...0716/GW339H242
http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/40...0458/GW319H172
Old 10-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've been trying to find photos of that amethyst parure for ages. Thanks guys! I think it ended up in the hands of the Queen Mother somehow and was eventually sold off. The Queen Mum wasn't to fond of amethyst from my understand. Which is a shame cause this parure would just be delicious on the Duchess of Cornwall!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Meg View Post
Actually I have found these photos... if these jewels were sold, where did these come from?
Where did the photos come from? PHOTOSHOP and quite likely from our own 'Photoshopping Tiaras' thread.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Royal Highness

I must say, I knew our Photoshopping members were talented, but it seems that these photos are getting out and fooling a lot of people. Soon we'll see a photoshopped pic of Camilla wearing the Lover's Knot and WWIII will erupt!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-31-2009, 01:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Where did the photos come from? PHOTOSHOP and quite likely from our own 'Photoshopping Tiaras' thread.
How is this photoshopped??
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/797...5BFDC843F9F02F

Ok, yes I see where I got it from... it was the forum on photoshopping. So where did the amethysts come from? What's the original?

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/Gj...3623/GW356H534

What of this pic?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Royal Highness

The first, http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/797...5BFDC843F9F02F, is not photoshopped. The Queen is wearing the Kent amethyst demi-parue, which also contains two additional brooches, bracelet (I think), and two hair combs.
The other picture, with tiara, of the set of amethysts that Queen Mary won at a raffle, does not look like the original to me. I may be wrong, but I cannot find an original picture at all (I've found many reworkings done in photoshop, though ).

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Aristocracy

Argh... well. Let me know if you find the 'true' pic.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

The picture with the Queen in purple, is her wearing the Kent Amethyst Demi-Parure. A real set of jewelry still belonging to the Queen. All the other Amethyst pieces are photoshopped from a Parure that used to belong to the RF before being sold off.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess Ravenna View Post
I have to stop reading this site. All it does is make me want more jewelry! In my own humble fashion, of course...

Oh, that collier resille necklace! What a gorgeous thing. I think it would look lovely on Camilla. But perhaps it must wait for the bride of Wills...whoever she might be.
You kinda get addicted looking at so many wonderful jewels. Yes, I feel the same way.. Jewelery shopping indeed!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Meg View Post
I really wish we could see this tiara worn, it's lovely.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Serene Highness

Is there a picture of the crown with the famous Koh-I-Noor diamond, that weighs 108,93 carats?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelinaB. View Post
Is there a picture of the crown with the famous Koh-I-Noor diamond, that weighs 108,93 carats?
Queen Mary crown http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Queen_Mary.jpg

Elizabeth, Queen Mother crown http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8c%29Crown.png
Old 11-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you so much, Magnik!! It is huge indeed. This is exactly how I had pictured it.
And it has such an interesting story behind it!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Perhaps the scroll tiara or maybe Queen Mary's lozenge tiara for Sophie? Those are small, diamond tiaras but not ridiculously small (like Mette-Marit's tiara). In the meantime, the Rundell for Camilla!
I quite agree with you Jcb about the Rundell. It is one of those enduring mysteries!

I was gobsmacked when I read on another forum that it is believed that the Rundell may have passed to Queen Maud of Norway, and I could not (would not!!!!) bring myself to believe it until I saw a photograph of Maud sporting what looked undeniably like the bandeau of the Rundell sans fleur de lis motif thingies and lattice work.

It may be, that Maud had her tiara made using the same bandeau design of the Rundell as an inspiration, but it has also been suggested that the Norwegian tiara may in fact be the much altered Rundell itself...which would be a tragedy if this is indeed the case!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Royal Highness

EEEKKKKK! I've not heard this. Say it isn't so!! But, it does make sense. How horrible--but I have read in two sources, I think, that Queen Mary and King George divided up Queen ALexandra's jewels and that the wedding gifts from Bertie stayed with the Crown--so I'm hoping its' ina vault somewhere in England.

Tags
british, emerald, jewellery, past, queen victoria, tiaras