The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Also, both of those ladies had impeccable posture (not to mention corsets) that gave a very regal bearing. Slumped is never a good look in a tiara!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Commoner

I new that I was not going crazy! I thought of that tiars when I seen her wear that. I wonder if the disigner copied that tiara.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy

Forgive me if someone else has answered this already - but does anyone know what happened to Queen Alex's diamond net choker. I know it has a name, but cannot remember it. Queen Mary was seen in it, but I don't think it's been seen since. (see Alexandra in it in post 132)

Such are the things that keep us jewel geeks awake at night!!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 AM
Commoner

Ah, Queen Alexandra's collier résille necklace. According to Field, the last time it's been seen was on Queen Mary. I can't reinforce that (Warren? Any suggestions?) it has any truth, but I haven't seen it anywhere else except in the hallowed pages of The Queen's Jewels. QEII doesn't seem to be overly fond of chokers.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:46 AM
Aristocracy

Oh yes, that's it the collier résille. I guess it is quite a tricky piece to wear, but it is so beautiful, it would have looked fabulous on Di (though she would probably have over-accessorised it I imagine). Hmm, wonder if it is still languishing in those vaults..

Actually, now I have opened up Field again, I'm seeing loads of jewels on Q Mary that don't seem to have seen the light of day again. Her collection was just ridicuous, and she really did seem to wear them all, unlike Lilibet who unfortunately trots the same ones out again and again (though at least has gone back to the vaults a few times in recent years, such as bringing the stomacher back out).

Someone find the key and oil the lock!

A bit of time to myself, and now I've got myself obsessing about these things...

Another one that I don't think has seen the light of day in many a year is Queen Mary's necklace/tiara from 'Some ladies of England'. She's wearing it on p38 of Field (87 edition) in the section about the Girls of GB tiara. I've had this book for years, but looking at it again with my renewed fervour for these things, I just cannot place it again. Please someone prove me wrong!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

You are correct---that tiara/necklace has not been seen Mary's early days of marriage. Pity--it being a wedding gift and all.
Personally, I would like a new look at the Kent Amethyst, but HM hasn't worn any piece of the parue since 2002. I hope Camilla will wear it-she seems to like amethysts.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
You are correct---that tiara/necklace has not been seen Mary's early days of marriage. Pity--it being a wedding gift and all.
Personally, I would like a new look at the Kent Amethyst, but HM hasn't worn any piece of the parue since 2002. I hope Camilla will wear it-she seems to like amethysts.
I still hope for an State Visit from Belgium, perhaps HM would wear the Kent amethysts then as it would match the Sash of the order of Leopold.
When was the last time the necklace was seen? I believe somwehere in the 80's.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Aristocracy

I think the last (and only?) time the Kent Amethysts were seen on QEII was in Portugal in the late 80's. It's odd she hasn't worn them more, as she likes coloured suites (rubies, sapphires, emeralds, aquamarines), and for three of those had a new tiara made - surely she could have found a few spare diamonds in the vault, and perhaps splashed on a couple of new amethysts for a new tiara to match...

It really is totally incomprehensible to all of us isn't it, that all these gems are sitting there unused! Do you think a petition might help...? Or as has been said, give 'em to Camilla, she's work those rocks!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Commoner

I have to stop reading this site. All it does is make me want more jewelry! In my own humble fashion, of course...

Oh, that collier resille necklace! What a gorgeous thing. I think it would look lovely on Camilla. But perhaps it must wait for the bride of Wills...whoever she might be.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:21 AM
Majesty

this is from www.islingtongazette.co.uk/content/islington

if one look at the jewelery do you got better photos of the real jewllery.
how good are the replicas do you think...
the tiara is the same as QEII wedding tiara
but how about the other jewwllery

here is a better photo
from http://www.thegreenwichphantom.co.uk
http://images.google.se/url?source=i...xSPkFZtLlu2H2w
Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in London View Post
Oh yes, that's it the collier résille. I guess it is quite a tricky piece to wear, but it is so beautiful, it would have looked fabulous on Di (though she would probably have over-accessorised it I imagine).
I think it's funny that you imagine Diana "overaccesorising" it, when the original wearers are some of the most cluttered looking women I've ever seen! Can one wear too many jewels? Apparently not during the belle epoque. LOL.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone even knows where some of these old jewels are. Tiaras and what-have-you that haven't been seen for nearly a century...

...there is a story about Queen Elizabeth surprised to find that the base to the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" tiara still existed. And yet another about a young Queen Silvia of Sweden discovering (I believe) the cut steel tiara in an old cupboard at the palace. Incredible, yet perhaps more common than we know?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Royal Highness

When "The Girls" was given to Elizabeth by her granny, it was displayed with the tiara and base seperated. I'm surprised that she didn't know the base existed--surely, pieces wouldn't be dismantled without her permission? Or, perhaps, those vaults are so vast that pieces go missing sometime?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 AM

Queen Alexandra's collier resille

Hello 2 all who share a love of these dazzling works of art - this is my first post - just wished 2 enquire if anyone has any information about Queen Alexandra's collier resille that was made by Cartier in 1904 - seems to have stopped being worn after Queen Mary's demise - i read somewhere that it was 1 of the great jewel creations of the Belle Epoch - shame if such a beautiful and grand jewel was broken up or lies unappreciated in storage. Dave.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Aristocracy

I'm sorry, but I am not familar with this piece of jewelry. Is it the choker style necklace that has the 8 or 9 strands of pearls? Can someone post a picture?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 AM

it is a huge diamond necklace - both choker and bib - that appears twice in Leslie Field's the queens jewels - Queen Mary is wearing it for her official 80th birthday photo on page 45 and Queen Alexandra on page 64 - it is reminicent of Queen Victoria's diamond waterfall brooch - its like a huge beautiful diamond net!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 AM

This is the only image i can find and it is a painting
Old 09-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Aristocracy

It is a truly magnificent and unique piece, it is a real shame and we dont see it anymore!

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/332408cf.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...cs/2636458.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ewcs/QMF45.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...wcs/img114.jpg
Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Royal Highness

I always thought the necklace in the painting psted by ennuispleen was different from the photographs Andrew posted.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
This link posted by Andrew is the pic appearing in Field (page 19 of my edition).
The caption reads: "Queen Mary...in 1947 is also wearing Queen Alexandra's diamond collier résille made by Cartier in 1904."
The collier in the painting may be the same piece but rendered differently due to artistic licence.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM

would be greatly appreciative if someone could post an image of the Queen wearing Alexandra's stomacher - its only recently started being worn by her i understand - can anyone tell me when she first started to wear it and how often it has been worn? thank u, Dave

I think if u read Suzy menkes' text the Royal jewels she uses this painting as 1 of her illustratioins of the collier resille and states that it was made up of indian jewels that were broken up - though where she got her info she does not say

Would also like to enquire about Mrs Grenville? who was she - obviously a close friend of the Queen mothers, and why would u leave jewellery 2 a family that already had so much? can anyone tell me the estent of her bequest?

and 1 more if i may - has anyone got an image of Di wearing here pearl necklace with the central huge sapphire - a brooch i believe that was a wedding present from the Queen mother - a Sri Lanken sapphire in diamond surround - does anyone know of the Queen mother wearing this brooch or its origins? A spectacular jewel - i suppose the necklace would be in storage for William or Harry

Tags
british, emerald, jewellery, past, queen victoria, tiaras