Black Pearl Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fashionista100

Courtier
I know we may have had this thread before. But I am reading a book about Tsarina Alexandra and in one of her early photos she is wearing a small black pearl tiara way in the back of her head. She had on a black dress and diamond necklace and earrings. She was a young girl when it was taken. Anyone have a good photo?

I love black pearls and would like to see that tiara

Thanks poppy, the tiara is beautiful and the tzarina is, or rather was very regal

i can't quite see the tiara. are there any close up shots of it?

elizahawthorne said:
Thanks poppy, the tiara is beautiful and the tzarina is, or rather was very regal

Yeh...hehe...I think this is one of the nicest dress the Tzarina had. I don't mean that the Tzarina didn't have many nice dresses but it's just that she was not one of those most glamorous ladies in the history such as Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna (her sister), Grand Duchess Vladimir, Empresses Sissy and Eugenie, Queen Magherita of Italy and Queen Maria Pia of Portugal (hehe as you can see I'm very into these things about royalty and their appearance).
I think the Tzarina had a mild taste in dress and jewelleries which is not too bad.

She was very much like her grandmother, Queen Victoria, in her tastes- understated, subtle, etc.

Black dress, black pearl tiara: my guess is that she is wearing mourning clothes.

As to what happened to the tiara: looted, or broken up, or sold by the Soviets when they quietly placed a lot of the Imperial jewels with European auction houses.

Actually the Tsarina was a very fashionable woman and considered quite beautiful in her day. When she really dressed in amazing clothes she was ridiculed in Russia. When she dressed modestly she was also reidiculed. She was not very well liked in Russia by her inlaws, the aristocracy, or the people.
She also suffered from depression and many illnesses which affected how she looked.

On the glittering royal events board i've found this pic.
Made at the funeral of prince Rainier.
These royal are Prince Hitachi & the Princess, of Japan
The woman wears blacks pearls and a black pearl brooche, but are these pearls real? It would be nice if they are.:)

52633751.jpg

I can't get the links to work, but I think I know the picture you're talking about and I think she might've been in mourning but I don't remember for whom. I sure in the back of every royal jewel vault there is a suite of jewels suitable for mourning - jet, onyx, black pearls, etc. If we only had an occassion where they could be brought out.

I read somewhere that pearls, jet, onyx, silver metals (not yellow gold unless it's a wedding/engagement ring) and in some cases amethysts ( purple and gray are colors of half-mourning) are apropraite for mourning

No coloured stones during mouring

On the link you see how Queen Emma of the Netherlands born Princess von Waldeck und Pyrmont (1858-1934), Regentess of the Kingdom (1890-1898) ordered the coloured stones to be replaced by diamonds during the mouring period for her deceased spouse King Willem III of the Netherlands, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg (1817-1890). Queen Emma was the great-grandmother of the present Queen Beatrix.

In the picture, a commissioned photo that was to be used in the minting of coins, the Queen-Dowager wears a “white” tiara (changed the rubies with diamonds), black and white the colours for mourning, in order to show her mourning.

http://www.royal-magazin.de/niederlande/queen-emma.html

Last edited:
Where can i find the pictures of the black pearls tiara? I'm very currious to see them:ermm:, my guess they are not as interesting as a preciouse stone tiara because of they sparkle less, but as what some poster has said here it might a proper jewel for morning time.

My daughter loves black pearls,and I have gradually collected some for her. When I was young,and there were auction houses in my city,you could often see examples of mourning jewellery. There were usually black pearls,jet,onyx,and amethyst. One of the most beautiful I saw at auction was a black diamond bracelet,black pearl,and amethyst, with a locket lined with human hair,probably the deceased.

if British Royals have Black Pearls or not?

In 1950 Empress Zita of Austria was seen wearing this black pearl tiara..

OOEmpressZitain1950.jpg

Is Empress Zita paying a visit to the Vatican? Would that explain the black lace (& black pearl tiara)?

The empress kept on wearing black since the death of her husband, Emperor Karl in 1922. I believe this picture was taken at the wedding of Otto and Regina

Princess Máxima

I don't know if these do categorize as 'black pearls'.

Yesterday, at the concert in the Sydney Opera House the Princess wore this ensemble:

Click to enlarge.

Source: seegerpress

Danjel

Danjel said:
The empress kept on wearing black since the death of her husband, Emperor Karl in 1922. I believe this picture was taken at the wedding of Otto and Regina

Thanks much; I had forgotten about the old tradition of continuing mourning. What an appropriate tiara. Thanks!

Henri M. said:
I don't know if these do categorize as 'black pearls'.

Yesterday, at the concert in the Sydney Opera House the Princess wore this ensemble: Source: seegerpress
Maxima's pearl set looks very nice. It's a nice touch with the black evening bag.

does not mary of denmark have a balck pearl necklace or is it of some other kind of stones?
i know queen silvia has one in a string of pearls

does not mary of denmark have a balck pearl necklace or is it of some other kind of stones?
i know queen silvia has one in a string of pearls
Yes, Princess Mary has quite a few black tahitian pearls.
Earrings, bracelet and long necklace from Marianne Dulong
A shambala bracelet with a pink diamond pave ball.
A leather bracelet with a black pearl (more casual)
A black and white necklace of pearls with a sapphire clasp. She seems quite fond of black pearls and they look lovely on her!!:)

Back
Top Bottom