Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it :)), Silvia, CP Victoria.
The cameo parure was also worn once by Crown Princess Margaret for a Wedding when she borrwoed it from Prince Eugen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cameo parure was also worn once by Crown Princess Margaret for a Wedding when she borrwoed it from Prince Eugen.

and here is a v short glimpse of CP Margaretha in the cameo parure at 4.03 :)
YouTube - Princess Margaret of Connaught / Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden

and at Sjöberg bild I found Princess Sibylla in the cameo tiara http://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/FotoWeb...F94BB023DB0275545DE969E8AE085F3F0613C84404B31

(and if the link to the pic doesnt work here is a link to the gallerie... the pic is down 3 from left http://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/fotoweb...ModifiedTimeAsc&search=prinsessan and sibylla )

Thanks, Stefan! Can't believe I missed that one...and I have a pic from the wedding LOL! It was a LOOOOONNNGGG list! :lol:

and here is a v short glimpse of CP Margaretha in the cameo parure at 4.03
Can anyone tell me the tiara that the Crown Princess is wearing at the end of the YouTube clip? I don't recognize it, but I only know six or seven of the Swedish tiaras by sight. Or perhaps this is an English tiara from before her marriage?

Thanks!

Hi, Krisotter. The tiara you saw is the Khedive of Egypt Diamond Tiara now in the possession of Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, daughter of Queen Ingrid of Denmark who inherited this tiara when her mother, Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden died. The tiara has been, so far, worn by all female descendants of Queen Ingrid on their wedding day, but remains the personal property of Anne-Marie. She last wore it for Prince Joachim's wedding to Marie Cavalier.

Rascal

Didn't Anne-Marie wear the Khedive this year? Was it for Queen Margrethe's birthday celebrations? I have to search now.:flowers:

Didn't Anne-Marie wear the Khedive this year? Was it for Queen Margrethe's birthday celebrations? I have to search now.:flowers:

Yes she wore it for the birthday dinner at Fredensborg in April this year.

Thanks for the correction, Katrianna and Stefan. I completely forgot about Anne-Marie wearing the Khedive tiara at the birthday celebrations....guess I am still in wedding mode :)!

Rascal

who wore the nine prog tiara between sofia and louise?

Sorry for the delay in response, Josefine. I completely missed your post and came across it today when looking back for info in this thread.

Regarding your question - it is possible that any of the royal ladies wore the nine-prong tiara after Queen Sofia died, but there is no proof of such. You probably have searched as much as I throughout the available materials and I haven't seen any photograph/painting/sketch/description/etc. of any of the Bernadotte ladies wearing the nine-prong until Crown Princess Louise, formerly Lady Louise Mountbatten, did so after her marriage to Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf. Based on the styles and manner of the time - in addition to the wars - it seems unlikely that the piece would have been worn. And considering Queen Victoria of Sweden's photographic history, it seems likely that if she had worn the piece there would be a photograph of it just as there are of the Braganca and Leuchtenberg.

Rascal thank you so much for your replay?

here is a video from nobel 1955 some glitter, i could not get a good any good screen prints, maybe someone else can do better
Nobelfesten 1955 - Öppet arkiv | SVT Play

http://svtplay.se/v/1434414/oppet_arkiv/nobelfesten_1953

http://svtplay.se/v/1434411/oppet_arkiv/nobelfesten_1951

http://svtplay.se/v/2235886/oppet_arkiv/nobeldagen_1957?sb,k103004,3,f,103016

in court dresses
http://svtplay.se/v/1434408/oppet_arkiv/nobelprisutdelning_1950

http://svtplay.se/v/1434406/oppet_arkiv/nobelprisutdelning_1938

1957 screen print of queen louise, baden fringe tiara queen victorias necklace but what brosch is she wearing?
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

1957 screen print of queen louise, baden fringe tiara queen victorias necklace but what brosch is she wearing?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Just a guess, of course, but it appears to be Queen Josephine's pearl, ruby, & diamond floral spray brooch that Victoria wore in her hair last night.

Initially, I thought it could not be the same because of the curve going in the opposite direction from which I am used to seeing it. After looking back at photos of Queen Silvia, she definitely wears the brooch "upside-down" with the "cut" part of the twig up toward her shoulder and the "floral" and pearl parts pointing down. It would match the shape and curvature as worn by Queen Louise when turned "upright".

There are five visible stones which are definitely not pearls on the brooch, which match the number in Queen Josefine's brooch. And since Queen Louise is wearing the processional necklace which as pearls, as well as the long pearl pendant earrings from the Bernadotte collection, my best guess is Queen Josephine's brooch.

What do you think?

I'd say it's certainly Queen Josefina's diamond, pearl and ruby flower brooch.
It's simply worn the other way round - just as you said Rascal.
Queen Silvia has worn it numerous times as brooch and as hair ornament, pointing in whichever direction she felt most fitting for her outfit or hairstyle.

Thanks for the posts and links, Josefine. I had never seen the footage from the 1950 Nobel ceremony. I was wondering if any of the members have a link or have seen footage or photos from the 1973 ceremony, shortly after the death of King Gustaf VI Adolf. It was only a couple of weeks earlier in the year than the 1950 death of King Gustav V. I was wondering if the Swedish royal women, particularly Princess Christina, dressed the same as in this video from 1950, when Queen Louise and Princess Sibylla wore mourning gowns and no tiaras.

I looked back at my pictures from the 1972 ceremony (less than three weeks after the death of Princess Sibylla) and the ladies present - Princess Christina (who was now first lady of the land) and Princess Margareta of Denmark (born Princess of Sweden) - are wearing tiaras and, while not mourning gowns like in 1950, what appear to be dark gowns (the pic is black & white).

If the royal ladies wore tiaras at the 1973 ceremony, perhaps the practice of not wearing tiaras was dispensed with. If they did not wear tiaras in 1973, maybe the practice is in mourning for a monarch only?

Last edited:
Josefine & Boris and all - correction

Thanks for the additional pics, Josefine. Those are much better and the brooch can clearly be seen. I appreciate it.

Re: the correction in the title of this post. I had previously speculated that Queen Sophia had once worn the brooch from the Bernadotte emerald demi-parure as a brooch at her neck in an old postcard photograph. I have since determined that I am probably incorrect.

After looking at the brooch in the best resolution I can possibly get and comparing it with the emerald brooch that is part of the parure now in Norway and worn by Queen Sonja, I believe my original assertion is wrong and it is actually the Norwegian emerald brooch which is being worn by Queen Sophia in the photograph. It would stand to reason as she is wearing the necklace from the parure that went to Norway and is now worn by Queen Sonja.

Since I consider both of you (Boris and Josefine) the resident experts on Swedish jewels, I would appreciate your assessments as well.

Thanks again!

Rascal

BTW - I'm probably signing off soon to watch some football here in the USA, so if you have a response/opinion, don't rush to appease me. My curiousity will continue for time eternal LOL!

Last edited:
I agree, queen Louise is wearing the pearl and ruby brooch. I find it interesting that she mixed it with the sapphire necklace.

i thought the same about victoria mixing the two of them last night

i thought the same about victoria mixing the two of them last night
That came to my mind as well. But times change, and I thought maybe modern royals are not so strict about this anymore. After seeing your pic of Queen Louise I thing that this mixing of stones might not be so modern at all.

Two diamond rose brooches in Sweden?

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/9229/74376350.jpg

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3039/70388447.jpg

Hello, all. I hope someone has some information about the floral brooches in the Bernadotte collection.

If the links above work (I haven't tried posting with imageshack or linking in this way before), they should show what I believe are two different diamond floral brooches.

The first is the familiar Bernadotte rose brooch which is found on many sites and has been discussed many times in the past. (It is the one Princess Madeleine wore in her hair at the December 11 dinner hosting the Nobel laureates in 2008).

The second one is the best closeup I can achieve from a photograph of Queen Silvia at the December 10 Nobel Prize ceremony the next year in 2009.

When comparing the brooch worn by Queen Silvia in 2009 with the well-known piece from the Bernadotte collection, it appears that the stones, construction, and arrangement are different. Silvia's 2009 brooch, if I am correct, has five large petals surrounding a large central stone on the floral part, whereas the Bernadotte brooch has at least three "layers" of petals surrounding a smaller central part, more like an actual rose.

The surrounding leaves also seem to be different. Silvia's brooch seems to have larger leaves and, instead of buds, appears to have collet-set diamonds or at least clearly larger single-stone elements. The Bernadotte brooch has more defined "rosebud" elements and smaller leaves.

In addition, the construction appears to be different. The Bernadotte brooch is extremely delicate with many, many small diamonds or diamond chips used to create a more realistic, closer to real-life shape of a rose. The stones are set in what appears to be platinum or white gold. Silvia's brooch from 2009 appears to have some smaller stones but also larger ones, and it appears to have some parts of the brooch set in yellow gold.

Also, the shapes of the brooches are different. The stem on the Bernadotte brooch seems to curve more from flower to tip while I can't actually see a "stem" on the brooch worn in 2009.

I know I'm not imagining what I'm seeing but I have never heard anything about this second brooch. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, opinions, etc.

Rascal

Yes Rascal, those are two completely different diamond brooches.

The Bernadotte Rose brooch (first pic) is by far the larger one, and has been worn as a brooch only a couple of times since 1976 by Queen Silvia, but on several occasions through the years as hair ornament.
Unfortunately I have never found any information about its original provenance; it's certainly one of the most beautiful naturalistic depictions of a rose in diamonds which I am aware of.

The second brooch is the so-called Brazilian Flower brooch, as it is part of the diamond legacy of Empress Amélie of Brazil to her sister Queen Josefina of Sweden. The collection going back to the Empress also includes the Braganca tiara and the large single pear-shaped diamond earrings which Queen Silvia had made from un-set stones in 1979.
The Brazilian Flower is one of Queen Silvia's favorite brooches and has been worn continuously by her, as a brooch as well as a hair ornament.

Thank you, boris!!!!!!

With all the researching I've done, I never realized there were two brooches until now. I've even heard reference to the Brazilian or Braganca Flower Brooch and assumed it was the Bernadotte one.

Thank you so very much. As usual, this was nagging at my brain and causing me to be very frustrated. And yet again you have relieved that tension. I truly appreciate it.

Also, I realize I definitely have to pay better attention when researching...LOLOL!!

Rascal

The small pearl tiara, a wedding gift from Princess Christina's godmother Elsa Calgren, originally belonged to Queen Sofia of Sweden.

Does anybody knows something about the tiara - I don't think I have seen it before.
I guess you didn't notice my post above yours? ;)
Princess Christina has been wearing the tiara regularly ever since she received it for her wedding in 1974.

Princess Christina has been wearing the tiara regularly ever since she received it for her wedding in 1974.

She also wore it at least twice (maybe borrowed?) for the Nobel prize ceremonies in 1964 and 1972.

You are right Boris - had some difficulties with the laptop and it looks like my post was pusblished later than written....:flowers: Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom