Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trond Norèn Isaksen, historian:

The weekly magazine Svensk Damtidning followed it up with an article in this year’s issue no 11, in which Count Folke Bernadotte confirms the information his wife gave me about the sale to the Norwegian royal family.
The magazine’s journalist Margareta Heed further claims that the tiara was bought from the Norwegian royal family by Prince Daniel and presented to Crown Princess Victoria at the hospital after she had given birth to Princess Estelle.
It is, however, worth noting that Svensk Damtidning gives no sources for this and that the magazine is not always very reliable.

Had also no time to watch the second part but i think they mainly included the older historic tiaras but i think they could also have included the baden fringe tiara

Had also no time to watch the second part but i think they mainly included the older historic tiaras but i think they could also have included the baden fringe tiara
The Baden fringe is discussed in the second episode

About Connaught tiara, at the article is also a photo of princess Christina wearing it as a necklace, she has done so once.
- There are so many memories, so much history, behind. That's what makes it so special, it's not just bling bling in the hair. You really carry on a tradition. You carry history from previous generations and you wear the jewelry with pride and with joy, Princess Christina states.
And especially a piece of jewelry is Christina close to her heart.
- Here we have a piece of jewelry that I have many memories of, a piece of jewelry I have seen since I was a little girl. It belonged to my mother and it belonged to my grandmother, Margareta, who came from England, says Princess Christina and opens the beautiful leather box with Princess Sibylla's diadem.
- The diadem was a wedding present from her parents. It was important for their daughter to show, not least, where she came from.
Christina goes on to say:
- My grandmother had a pretty big jewelry box when she came to Sweden, but since she died just 15 years later, her children inherited everything she had with her. And my father got this at her will.
Princess Christina turns and turns on the beautiful diadem.
- This is what I and my siblings most associate with our mother. I am very pleased that it is so used today, in both the second and third generations. And I hope it will be used a lot in the future.
Crown Princess Victoria takes over:
- The first time I walked past a painting and realized that I wore the same jewelry as the woman in it, it was an awakening! It was at one of the big dinners and then the story became SO tangible and SO vibrant.
She says that, even she, feels a little extra for Princess Sibylla's diadem.
- I feel especially for Princess Sibylla's diadem. I know that it was a special gift to my grandmother and that she liked it a lot. "Oh, you wear grandma's diadem", I can feel when, for example, my sister is wearing it. There will be something extra.
Princess Christina shares some personal memories:
- Of course I have very many memories of this diadem after which I have, when I stood next to my mother when she has dressed really nice. And then she had the diadem on.
It was natural to choose Princess Sibylla's diadem when she married Tord Magnuson in 1974.
- I've also had the pleasure of wearing it myself. When I got married in 1974, my mother had been away for two years and I wanted something that reminded me of my mother to be with me that day. And this diadem was what I put on with a veil that she had also used, it felt very nice to walk up the church and feel that my mother was with me.
Princess Christina is well read. It was she who introduced Queen Silvia to the royal jewellery and she seems more briefed than most.
- The diadem was made in 1904 for the wedding that was held in 1905, between my grandparents. And this is a transformation piece, after all. You can change it in different ways!
Christina herself has worn the diadem as a necklace.
- At the turn of the millennium when we had a party here at the Royal Palace, I had the jewelry on me, as a necklace. It looked very elegant. And it felt good to have my mother around, even then.
Another time Sibylla joined, though she had passed away, was the day before the royal couple's wedding in 1976. Then, on June 18, Silvia chose to wear the diadem. It was the first royal piece of jewelry she wore. The initiative came from the Haga princesses.
- Our current queen wore this diadem when she made her first official appearance the day before the wedding in 1976. And she did it in avid urging of me and my sisters, her future sisters-in-law. “You have to have this on you. Our mother must be with us now when Carl Gustaf finally gets married”. It felt so very strong. She was a little nervous, but she did just fine. It was a bit of a gesture from us too, we wanted to highlight that "now, now you become one in the family".
Christina berättar om speciella stunderna med mamma Sibylla _ Svensk Dam

Silvia on drama during the Nobel party: "Thought I would faint"
The diadem, Queen Sofia's diadem, came to Sweden with Queen Sofia. It is a diamond diadem used mainly by Queen Silvia. The diadem is believed to have been a jewel comb from the beginning, which was reworked in the late 1800s. The diadem is most often worn by Queen Silvia, but also Princess Margareta, Princess Christina, Princess Birgitta and Princess Lilian have worn it.
The very first time Silvia wore Queen Sofia's diadem, or the brilliant diadem as it is also called (in English it goes by the name Nine prong tiara), was during the Nobel festivities in 1976, when Silvia had just become queen.
And it was a not so pleasant experience.
- It is a very beautiful diadem. But it is very difficult to bear. It is heavy and it is stiff and it has to fit the head perfectly and precisely, because it is heavy in the front, otherwise it will tip, says Queen Silvia.
- We had to work hard to make the diadem fit and to stay in the middle. It didn't really fit the form of my head, but we did what we could. Björn Axén (the Queen's then hairdresser) attached it with pins.
And the pins, and the diadem, caused some problems ...
- I thought I would faint! The dinner is so long, and the diadem became heavier and heavier. Harder and harder to wear. It pressed into my head. I had such a headache. I remember Prince Bertil saw something was wrong. He leaned over to me and asked "are you okay?", The queen says.
She continues:
- And I didn't really do that. But I said "yes, it is going well". But he was very attentive and continued: "Is it something?"
The queen then replied that it was about the diadem and Bertil urged her to remove the pins.
"You can't do that," I said. "With TV recording and everything". But he said "do it" and I lurked and pretended to pill with my hair and then I removed the pins.
But when the queen came home she discovered something.
- When I took off the diadem it had worked its way into my head. You could put a finger there. It hurt very, very badly.
Today, however, court jeweler WA Bolin has changed the diadem and extended it, so that it is no longer so heavy in the front.
- Now it's adapted to my head so it's no longer a problem. But when I wear it I think about this event. So this diadem tells its story in a different way, says the Queen with a smile.
Silvia om dramat under Nobelfesten_ _Trodde jag skulle svimma_ _ Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Trond Norèn Isaksen, historian:

The weekly magazine Svensk Damtidning followed it up with an article in this year’s issue no 11, in which Count Folke Bernadotte confirms the information his wife gave me about the sale to the Norwegian royal family.
The magazine’s journalist Margareta Heed further claims that the tiara was bought from the Norwegian royal family by Prince Daniel and presented to Crown Princess Victoria at the hospital after she had given birth to Princess Estelle.
It is, however, worth noting that Svensk Damtidning gives no sources for this and that the magazine is not always very reliable.

That would be the best gift Prince Daniel could have given for the future Queen Estelle!

The swedish Court refers to it by that name and what we call the 9 nine pronge tiara they call Drottning Sofia's tiara.

Maybe we should follow them and indeed call it Princess Sibyilla's diadem (instead of the Connaught), the Baden diadem (instead of the fringe), the Brazilean diadem (instead of the Coronation), the Beauharnais parure (instead of the Cameo Parure), Queen Sofia's diadem (instead of the Nine-prong). It is strange that invented names on the web stick more than the official names.

Last edited:
Have now watched the second part. Interesting that Queen Silvia so often we4ars the nine pronge tiara as her experiece when she wore it for her first Nobel in 1976. I understand that the tiara was then changed so that it fits her head better. in the past it had always been said that it is not flexibel and can't be changed.
Intersting to see the rosettes from the six.-button tiara so close. Wodner if those of the four button tiara are as old unfortunately it wasn't mentioned at all. I understand it was Queen Victoria's idee to make the rosettes into a tiara after they where removed from the Crown of King Erik but it was not finshed when she died and then it wasn't touched until 1976.
A pity that the amethyst's where not incduded as all the other historic Items have been.

In light of the latest programs on the Bernadotte Jewels, I thought I'd share my spreadsheet on "who has used what" in the family but I have also added a section breaking down each tiara appearance. It isn't not perfect but it is a start. Feel free to add to it!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxEwWbhVboQFIKormd4drR_LUKqHj45ZirgkvhvsL7A/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks very interesting. Have you forgot the Leuchtenberg sapphjires in the section how often the sets where worn. Would be interesting to see how often Queen Silvia has worn this compared to the nine pronge tiara as this 2 seems to be her favorites.

Thanks very interesting. Have you forgot the Leuchtenberg sapphjires in the section how often the sets where worn. Would be interesting to see how often Queen Silvia has worn this compared to the nine pronge tiara as this 2 seems to be her favorites.

If you look on the Tiara Breakdown Page you can see the comparison!

Queen Silvia has used the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Diadem 52 times by my count and the 9 Prong 95 times!

If you look on the Tiara Breakdown Page you can see the comparison!

Queen Silvia has used the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Diadem 52 times by my count and the 9 Prong 95 times!

Thanks thought she had worn it more often.

You can add on more tiara appearance of Lilian in the laurel wreath tiara. She wore it for the Wedding of alfonso de Bourbon y Dam,pierre, Duke of Anjou in 1972 and i have read but seen no pics that she also wore it for the 90th birthday celebrations of King Gustaf VI. Adolf.

Thanks thought she had worn it more often.

You can add on more tiara appearance of Lilian in the laurel wreath tiara. She wore it for the Wedding of alfonso de Bourbon y Dam,pierre, Duke of Anjou in 1972 and i have read but seen no pics that she also wore it for the 90th birthday celebrations of King Gustaf VI. Adolf.

Thank you!!!

In light of the latest programs on the Bernadotte Jewels, I thought I'd share my spreadsheet on "who has used what" in the family but I have also added a section breaking down each tiara appearance. It isn't not perfect but it is a start. Feel free to add to it!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxEwWbhVboQFIKormd4drR_LUKqHj45ZirgkvhvsL7A/edit?usp=sharing

Princess Sofia has worn the Six Button Tiara, I think it was to the King and Queen of Norway's joint birthday celebration.

Last edited:
I had forgotten about that .

I wish the Cameo was just kept for use solely by the queen.

It has been since 1976 with the only exception beeing the Wedding of CP Victoria.

Princess Christina wore the Six Button Tiara at Innocenceorden's 250th Anniversary celebration on 14th November 2015.
Dans och diadem på Grand Hôtel _ Svensk Dam

I take it that Princess Christina's stolen jewels were never recovered?

Princess Lillian, Dutchess of Halland used the Connaught tiara in 1982 in Oslo when King Olav of Norway celebrated his 80th birthday. She wore the tiara at a gala concert in the Oslo Konserthus. (Other royal guests were the grand ducal couple from Luxembourg.)

Princess Lillian, Dutchess of Halland used the Connaught tiara in 1982 in Oslo when King Olav of Norway celebrated his 80th birthday. She wore the tiara at a gala concert in the Oslo Konserthus. (Other royal guests were the grand ducal couple from Luxembourg.)

King Olav had his 80th birthday on 2nd July 1983, not 1982. Here is a photo of Bertil and Lilian.
https://www.sjobergbildbyra.se/foto...hives/5000-Alla-bilder/?q=prinsessan%20lilian

Facebook of SVT (Sweden's Television), about the Cameo Tiara
SVT - Smyckeshistoria med kunglig glans Kungliga smycken... _ Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the way she wore it. It looks more pretty tiara than barbed wire.

Queen Louise had a floral diamond and sapphire brooch
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Princess Margaretha wearing the brooch at the wedding of Beatrix and Claus in 1966
And on 23rd February 1968 in San Francisco, where she delivered the Royal Order of Vasa to Sidney Carlson
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0257/3165/products/RSB68093.jpg?v=1498851609

Princess Désirée wearing the Turquoise Daisy Bandeau at the von Stedingk, 1st May 1962.

The brooch queen Louise wearing at Anglo-Swedish Society Dinner in London, 13th November 1961. Have we seen other Bernadotte women wearing it? https://d2sze6qxvc07yt.cloudfront.n.../4f1fe8f930958689501eed573e7086e8/2640832.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i do wonder what happened to the queen Louise brosch
and i have not seen the other brooch she wore in London....

i do wonder what happened to the queen Louise brosch
and i have not seen the other brooch she wore in London....

Obviously princess Margaretha inherited queen Louise's brooch she was seen wearing in two events, because she wore them after queen Louise's death.

Is this brooch which has been worn by princess Sibylla and princess Christina
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010100011H158840802375464
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010100021H158840802375464
Crown princess Margareta's brooch?
http://imageupper.com/i/?S1200010100031H158840802375464

Another Bernadotte family brooch
Princess Christina with a brooch in 1962
https://www.sjobergbildbyra.se/foto...400.wsjobergwatermarkbottom.tif.xdWNeFU95.jpg
Princess Désirée with the brooch in 1976
https://d1wkg4trnrvos8.cloudfront.n...CvnblG6wGg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJOLWAK6YK6G4GXMA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom