Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Svensk Damtidning:
Victoria about favorite Karl Johan diadem
In "Royal Jewellery" at SVT, Crown Princess Victoria tells for the first time openly about her strong relationship with - and her reverence for - the favorite Karl Johan diadem.
“Every piece of jewelry in the Swedish royal house carries a story, stories about love, power and politics. It is about women, women who tie Sweden's history with different countries around the world. Who were they?" This is how the program manager Sara Bull launches the Royal Jewellery series , which is currently being shown on SVT.
- I feel a huge respect for the jewelry. For all the people who carried them. What if the jewelry could speak! Tell us about everything they have "experienced", says Crown Princess Victoria.
One of the crown princess's absolute favorite jewellery is the so-called Karl Johan diadem. Or the Six Button Diadem as it is also called. The diadem is relatively new, but the origin is old.
The story behind the Karl Johan diadem
Oscar II was the last king to be crowned in Sweden. And notice his coronation crown. Do you recognize the rosettes? Yes exactly! These are the ones who today adorn the Karl Johan diadem, or the Six Button diadem.
- That diadem has a slightly different story, just because it is not made as a diadem from the beginning. The rosettes come from Lovisa Ulrika's time. It's staggering! It is only when you pair the jewellery with a person that you really understand how old they really are!, Crown Princess Victoria tells at SVT.
Lovisa Ulrika wore the rosettes as decoration in her hair and clothes. And after she had worn them, they were placed on the coronation crown, by Karl XIV Johan. In 1909, the rosettes were removed, at the initiative of Queen Victoria, but then fell into oblivion. The existing Karl Johan diadem, as we know it today, was created in 1976.
The first to wear the diadem, with the rosettes in its new form, was Princess Lilian. The diadem has also been worn by the Queen and by Princess Christina. But most of our crown princess!
- I'm getting a little touched! These jewellery has been around a lot! I think about the craft, and how the people have taken care of them, says the Crown Princess.
She also reveals a habit she has adopted. Something she always does when she comes home from a royal party!
- I have the habit of always looking at the jewellery, no matter how late I come home, and checking all the brackets so that nothing has fallen, Victoria says.
Victoria om favoritsmycket Karl Johan-diademet _ Svensk Dam

There's no doubt the history behind Swedens royal jewels is fascinating. Every piece has an interesting provenance and are beautiful works of art by themselves.

In Svensk Damtidning:
Victoria about favorite Karl Johan diadem
In "Royal Jewellery" at SVT, Crown Princess Victoria tells for the first time openly about her strong relationship with - and her reverence for - the favorite Karl Johan diadem.
“Every piece of jewelry in the Swedish royal house carries a story, stories about love, power and politics. It is about women, women who tie Sweden's history with different countries around the world. Who were they?" This is how the program manager Sara Bull launches the Royal Jewellery series , which is currently being shown on SVT.
- I feel a huge respect for the jewelry. For all the people who carried them. What if the jewelry could speak! Tell us about everything they have "experienced", says Crown Princess Victoria.
One of the crown princess's absolute favorite jewellery is the so-called Karl Johan diadem. Or the Six Button Diadem as it is also called. The diadem is relatively new, but the origin is old.
The story behind the Karl Johan diadem
Oscar II was the last king to be crowned in Sweden. And notice his coronation crown. Do you recognize the rosettes? Yes exactly! These are the ones who today adorn the Karl Johan diadem, or the Six Button diadem.
- That diadem has a slightly different story, just because it is not made as a diadem from the beginning. The rosettes come from Lovisa Ulrika's time. It's staggering! It is only when you pair the jewellery with a person that you really understand how old they really are!, Crown Princess Victoria tells at SVT.
Lovisa Ulrika wore the rosettes as decoration in her hair and clothes. And after she had worn them, they were placed on the coronation crown, by Karl XIV Johan. In 1909, the rosettes were removed, at the initiative of Queen Victoria, but then fell into oblivion. The existing Karl Johan diadem, as we know it today, was created in 1976.
The first to wear the diadem, with the rosettes in its new form, was Princess Lilian. The diadem has also been worn by the Queen and by Princess Christina. But most of our crown princess!
- I'm getting a little touched! These jewellery has been around a lot! I think about the craft, and how the people have taken care of them, says the Crown Princess.
She also reveals a habit she has adopted. Something she always does when she comes home from a royal party!
- I have the habit of always looking at the jewellery, no matter how late I come home, and checking all the brackets so that nothing has fallen, Victoria says.
Victoria om favoritsmycket Karl Johan-diademet _ Svensk Dam

I am surprised she likes this sexknappsdiademet is her favourite. It it were 7 buttons, allez... that would improve enormously. I understand the amazing historic value, but from all what she has worn, this one is esthetically the lesser pleasing for the eye, to me that is. My advice would be, make one extra button, an exact copy of one of the six and put it on a frame with all seven.

I am surprised she likes this sexknappsdiademet is her favourite. It it were 7 buttons, allez... that would improve enormously. I understand the amazing historic value, but from all what she has worn, this one is esthetically the lesser pleasing for the eye, to me that is. My advice would be, make one extra button, an exact copy of one of the six and put it on a frame with all seven.

And remove the lower shorter row of diamonds on the frame.

Last edited:
The late Princess Lillian wearing the Six Button Tiara with the diamond base almost out of sight.
https://images.app.goo.gl/LHCHxwRxPeKbqQWL9

In her case and also with Princess Christina it work because of their puffoy hairstyles and when the tiara is placed a bit backwards. But not with Cron Princess Victoria's hairstyle.

Ad the only time Queen Silvia wore the tiara it was a disaster as then the frame was covered in white and full visible.

And remove the lower shorter row of diamonds on the frame.

All good suggestions. The other option might be to create a slight variation in the heights at which the buttons are placed (on a base not dissimilar to that of the Dutch pearl button tiara) or perhaps add upright pearls or emeralds between the buttons (like the star and pearl tiara of Princess Benedikte).

Last edited:
All good suggestions. The other option might be to create a slight variation in the heights at which the buttons are placed (it on a base not dissimilar to that of the Dutch pearl button tiara) or perhaps add upright pearls or emeralds between the buttons (like the star and pearl tiara of Princess Benedikte).

That with the pearls is a good Idea. They could use the pearls which could be used on the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara for it.

That with the pearls is a good Idea. They could use the pearls which could be used on the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara for it.

Indeed. I am also keen to explore the use of emeralds in a tiara, as that is the one very obvious gap in the Swedish jewel collection.

Indeed. I am also keen to explore the use of emeralds in a tiara, as that is the one very obvious gap in the Swedish jewel collection.

But for emeralds they have at last the emerlad demi parure. For pearls they have only necklaces but no Set.

I understand very well why Victoria loves the Karl Johan Diadem, it looks great on her both with and without that extra row of diamonds.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

In Svensk Damtidning:
Princess Madeleine got married in the beautiful 18th-century Vasa earrings, a pair of earrings that Victoria doesn't even dare to wear! Now she tells you why!
The Vasa earrings from the 18th century are some of the absolute oldest royal Swedish jewellery. And they are only used on very special occasions. This is now stated in the SVT series The Royal Jewellery.
The story behind the Vasa earrings
The earrings, the Vasa earrings, are a pair of brilliant earrings that have the shape of a drop shaped wreath with a pendant shaped like a globe with a brilliant bracket. They probably come from Gustav IV Adolf's wife Fredrika of Baden. When the couple were banished in 1809, they took with them some jewelry that was then inherited to elder son Gustaf and later to his daughter Carola who was married to King Albert of Saxony. When Victoria of Baden married Gustav V in 1881, she received the earrings as a wedding gift from Queen Carola.
- It is a very exciting story (behind the Vasa earrings). They symbolize the Vasa dynasty, the queen says.
- It is such a fantastic craft that you have even been able to do it. That you have been able to shape them as small globes - at that time. It is infinitely long ago. And imagine that they have got along over the years, says Crown Princess Victoria.
Princess Madeleine has used the Vasa earrings several times, including at her own and Chris O'Neill's wedding in 2013. And two years later, in 2015, she wore them when Prince Carl Philip married Sofia Hellqvist.
Big sister Victoria, however, has never had them. The reason? She simply doesn't dare. They are too valuable.
- I dare not use them, I don't, she states in Royal jewellery.
Historien bakom Vasaörhängena – Madeleines favoriter _ Svensk Dam

I understand very well why Victoria loves the Karl Johan Diadem, it looks great on her both with and without that extra row of diamonds.

In Svensk Damtidning:
Princess Madeleine got married in the beautiful 18th-century Vasa earrings, a pair of earrings that Victoria doesn't even dare to wear! Now she tells you why!
The Vasa earrings from the 18th century are some of the absolute oldest royal Swedish jewellery. And they are only used on very special occasions. This is now stated in the SVT series The Royal Jewellery.
The earrings, the Vasa earrings, are a pair of brilliant earrings that have the shape of a drop shaped wreath with a pendant shaped like a globe with a brilliant bracket. They probably come from Gustav IV Adolf's wife Fredrika of Baden. When the couple were banished in 1809, they took with them some jewelry that was then inherited to elder son Gustaf and later to his daughter Carola who was married to King Albert of Saxony. When Victoria of Baden married Gustav V in 1881, she received the earrings as a wedding gift from Queen Carola.
- It is a very exciting story (behind the Vasa earrings). They symbolize the Vasa dynasty, the queen says.
- It is such a fantastic craft that you have even been able to do it. That you have been able to shape them as small globes - at that time. It is infinitely long ago. And imagine that they have got along over the years, says Crown Princess Victoria.
Princess Madeleine has used the Vasa earrings several times, including at her own and Chris O'Neill's wedding in 2013. And two years later, in 2015, she wore them when Prince Carl Philip married Sofia Hellqvist.
Big sister Victoria, however, has never had them. The reason? She simply doesn't dare. They are too valuable.

Tells a lot of the sense of history and the importance of protecting this legacy that Victoria feels when it comes to the royal jewellery.

I have to disagree with you on this, but this is of course my personal opinion.

I agree with you Stefan, history notwithstanding, both the 6 button and 4 button tiara's are visually challenged, in my opinion.

In Svensk Damtidning:

These beautiful and sparkling buttons have an amazing history, but their placement on a bare monture and their even number, that is a sort of pity.

Would I have been the one to advise: make an exact copy of one of the buttons, so that there are seven of these. Place these on a better monture. And voilá, an unbeatable beauty is created.

The diamond Rosette Buttons are simply stunning and I hadn't realized the history attached to them .The tiara is seems is not that old and they were first worn in tiara form by the late Princess Lillian,duchess of Halland in the mid 70's.

Would I have been the one to advise: make an exact copy of one of the buttons, so that there are seven of these. Place these on a better monture. And voilá, an unbeatable beauty is created.

I agree with you. Are you going to email Victoria, or shall I do it on your behalf?

There is an extra button which was sometimes worn by Princess Lilian as a pendant on a diamond necklace. And the button n the sis-button tiara are not all the same so it would be no Problem to use this one as central button.

I don't like that "tiara" either. History or not. They could make something nicer with the buttons.

I am among those who dislike the design of the tiara. And let's face it, it's only the buttons who have an enormous historical value. The tiara itself is a late 20th century invention, and the design is not even thought through. They just assembled a couple of existing elements in an awkward way. And while the tiara worked reasonably well on Princess Lillian, it doesn't look that good on CP Victoria.

Imo, it would be best to create a second frame with an uneven number of elements on it. A garland style frame like the Dutch buttons tiara might be nice. Or something like the Berleburg star tiara with alternating buttons and upright pearls might work well.

There is an extra button which was sometimes worn by Princess Lilian as a pendant on a diamond necklace. And the button n the sis-button tiara are not all the same so it would be no Problem to use this one as central button.

There are also four buttons, in theory reaching to 6 + 1 + 4 = 10 buttons. That would create a nice diadem of 9 buttons. No idea if it makes a nice combination. I would like to see it once.

It is comparable with the Dutch stars. There are seven-pointed, ten-pointed and twelve-pointed diamond stars. No idea if it makes a nice combination. I would like to see it once.

I am among those who dislike the design of the tiara. And let's face it, it's only the buttons who have an enormous historical value. The tiara itself is a late 20th century invention, and the design is not even thought through. They just assembled a couple of existing elements in an awkward way. And while the tiara worked reasonably well on Princess Lillian, it doesn't look that good on CP Victoria.

Imo, it would be best to create a second frame with an uneven number of elements on it. A garland style frame like the Dutch buttons tiara might be nice. Or something like the Berleburg star tiara with alternating buttons and upright pearls might work well.

I complete agree - a tiara base which looks like the Dutch pearl/star tiara might do the trick - although I have to say - for some reason I still like it on CP Victoria - but not on anybody else....:whistling:

Nothing and no-one including HRH , [despite her love of the Karl Johan tiara ]is ever going to make me love this tiara . Princess Lillian was it's finest wearer , even then it was never a favourite of mine. I can well imagine it on Princess Beatrix or the Duchess of Cornwall , they both have the hairstyle's to carry it off .

Second episode of "Kungliga smycken" (The Royal Jewellery)
Kungliga smycken - Avsnitt 2 _ SVT Play

Tsar Paul I didn't order the pink topazes as it has been thought.
At the program it is told that finnish jewellery researcher Ulla Tillander Godenhielm and her russian colleagues have found documents and diary notes: It was impossible that Tsar Paul I had ordered the pink topazes because he was dead when the topazes were ordered. The new findings show, that his wife, the widow empress Maria Fjodorovna ordered the pink topazes as a gift for daughter Maria Pavlovna when she gave birth to her daughter Augusta. Ulla tells that it is a tradition that the pink topaz represents the family happiness: the happy moments you have spent together. These pink topazes are interesting, because they are very, very rare. Pink topazes are today often heat treated or irradiated so they are not naturally pink, like these. They come from eastern Brazil where there is an area called Minas Gerais. There is a village or maybe it is called a city today, Ouro Preto. It is a world heritage today and a major tourist attraction. But at that time, on the 17th century, topazes were found there. In the sand deposits around the river channels pink topazes were found. They were like beach stones.

Great to see some great paintings at these programs too. For instance Victoria sees the painting of Oscar II for the first time, she had seen it only in photos before.

Last edited:
Second episode of "Kungliga smycken" (The Royal Jewellery)
Kungliga smycken - Avsnitt 2 _ SVT Play

Tsar Paul I didn't order the pink topazes as it has been thought.
At the program it is told that finnish jewellery researcher Ulla Tillander Godenhielm and her russian colleagues have found documents and diary notes: It was impossible that Tsar Paul I had ordered the pink topazes because he was dead when the topazes were ordered. The new findings show, that his wife, the widow empress Maria Fjodorovna ordered the pink topazes as a gift for daughter Maria Pavlovna when she gave birth to her daughter Augusta. Ulla tells that it is a tradition that the pink topaz represents the family happiness: the happy moments you have spent together. These pink topazes are interesting, because they are very, very rare. Pink topazes are today often heat treated or irradiated so they are not naturally pink, like these. They come from eastern Brazil where there is an area called Minas Gerais. There is a village or maybe it is called a city today, Ouro Preto. It is a world heritage today and a major tourist attraction. But at that time, on the 17th century, topazes were found there. In the sand deposits around the river channels pink topazes were found. They were like beach stones.

Great to see some great paintings at these programs too. For instance Victoria sees the painting of Oscar II for the first time, she had seen it only in photos before.

Thank you for this information. I have always loved the pink topaz demi-parure, and I think the Queen wears them well.

I complete agree - a tiara base which looks like the Dutch pearl/star tiara might do the trick - although I have to say - for some reason I still like it on CP Victoria - but not on anybody else....:whistling:

Yes! She looks good with it.

I don't love it but at the same time I don't hate it. I always thought all six buttons are same and just realize the two at both end are different. I wish they remove the bottom row of diamonds and lower the base.

I enjoy the series showed these jewelries in interesting angle, the back of these jewelries are fascinating.

The diamond drops of Vasa earrings are uniquely gorgeous (Victoria you will wear it someday). And the topaz ...*drooling*

so sad they didn't include the edwardian ruby tiara in the show... that's my favourite! i feel like we need a part 3!

and i thought they would surprise us by showing the pink topaz tiara from queen sofia, previously owned by countess estelle, that allegedly was bought back by the royal family in 2012...

i also think crown princess margaret (née connaught) should have her own show about her tiaras and other jewellery! they mentioned her way too little.

It's no wonder that they left out the ruby tiara, given the former controversies about it's ownership.

I haven't yet had time to watch part II, but am looking forward to doing so.

so sad they didn't include the edwardian ruby tiara in the show... that's my favourite! i feel like we need a part 3!

and i thought they would surprise us by showing the pink topaz tiara from queen sofia, previously owned by countess estelle, that allegedly was bought back by the royal family in 2012...

i also think crown princess margaret (née connaught) should have her own show about her tiaras and other jewellery! they mentioned her way too little.

The topaz tiara: King Harald of Norway bought this from the Bernadotte af Wisborg family. It is only rumours that Prince Daniel bought this from the Norwegian royal family. But, it is called "Estelle" out of its wearer, so it could be logic to have been bought to Estelle, the princess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom