Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
okay I am trying to set up a webpage about the Swedish royal jewellery, I am not sure that I will make it but I will try
this is the text on the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure

This parure was a wedding gift from Napoleon Bonaparte, (the French emperor) to Eugene Beauhmais who were Napoleons adopted son. Eugene married Princess Augusta Amalia of Bavaria.
The name of the parure come from that the married couple was called Duke and Duchess of Leuchtenberg.
Duke and Duchess of Leuchtenberg gave the parure as a wedding gift to their daughter Josephine when she married future King Oscar I of Sweden in 1823.
From that the time Josfina was given the tiara, only Queens has worn it.
This is a neo-classical diamond and sapphire parure. If you count the square-cut sapphire and diamond clusters there are nine of them and they are
set on a base of honeysuckles and leaves. It seems that from the start one could change the sapphires with nine pear pearls.
The parure consists of a tiara, pendant earrings, a necklace, a brooch
and a pair of hair sticks.

Princess Augusta of Bavaria. as a wedding gift January 1806
Queen Josefina of Sweden, neé Leuchtenberg a wedding gift
May 1823
Queen Lovisa of Sweden, neé Princess of the Netherlands
Queen Sofia of Sweden, neé Princess of Nassau
Queen Victoria of Sweden, neé Princess of Baden
Queen Louise of Sweden, neé Princess of Battenberg
Queen Silvia of Sweden, neé Sommerlath started to wear the set as she became Queen after her marriage June 1976

:previous:That is a great idea! I know that setting up a webpage is a lot of work, but I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by the royal jewellery junkies (including me)! :flowers::flowers:

I wish you good luck in setting up the website, Josefine!
A tip: Google translate has become rather good in translating Swedish to English, maybe you would like to give it a try when putting the text for your website together?
And: Not only Queen Consorts have worn the Leuchtenberg sapphire parure, but also the later Queen Louise when she was still Crown Princess, Princess Sibylla and Princess Birgitta (once, at the pre-wedding gala of King Carl Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath).

Aquamarine HELP!!!!!!!!!

1): The large aquamarine tiara is not only a beautiful but also an important piece. It used to belong to Crown Princess Margaret and was given as a wedding gift to Princess Sibylla from her husband. In the Kokoshnik style, it features five large aquamarines with diamond flower motifs in-between.
It was given to Princess Margareta, the King’s sister, upon her marriage, and she loaned it in 1998 to her daughter Sibylla to wear it at her wedding. Ever since, the tiara has disappeared, and it was probably sold when Princess Margareta’s late husband Mr. Ambler ran into financial trouble.
There are rumours though that this beautiful tiara might be seen again in the future... Still rumors, so I can’t elaborate on that.

Hi, Boris and anyone else who happens to follow royal jewelry. Like many of us, I've been going through my files and re-researching about the Swedish jewels after last week's Nobel ceremonies. How I got off on this aquamarine tangent I'll never know.

My confusion stems from the conflicting descriptions/history/names of the Swedish aquamarine tiaras. The kokoshnik you describe above has also been called Princess Sibylla's kokoshnik and described as having been brought with her to Sweden as if it was a gift from someone in her family. I know that she is pictured wearing it at an engagement dinner or pre-wedding dinner so this could be possible. Has there ever been a photograph or portrait of Crown Princess Margaret wearing it? I remember a sketch of jewelry she received for her wedding that included the ruby tiara and the Khedive of Egypt tiara-necklace but this tiara was not in the group of jewels in the sketch. Could it have been Sibylla's first?

My other question is in regards to the small diamond and aquamarine bandeau now worn by Princess Madeleine (some have referred to it as the cyclops tiara). I have never seen any posting referring to it other than having originally belonged to Crown Princess Margaret. Again, there are no photographs or portraits of CP Margaret wearing the piece. In addition. considering the rather poufy, bouffant hairstyles popular during the time and which we have seen in the depictions of CP Margaret, such a tiara wouldn't even be seen. My net surfing points to the Haga princesses as being the first ones to be photographed wearing it. Could it have been a gift for Princess Margaretha (now Mrs. Ambler) and everyone just assumed it was CP Margaret that owned it?

Thanks so much for any information or suggestions on where else to look.

Rascal

Leuchtenberg Sapphire question

Hi, all. I just need confirmation that I'm not seeing things. On several different sites about royal jewelry, the tiara of the Leuchtenberg parure is described as having nine sapphire clusters around the top. But in pictures where it is in profile or wider, there seem to be five clusters on either side of the center sapphire, which would make the total number of sapphires across the top of the tiara eleven instead of nine. Am I imagining this or did the descriptions get it wrong?

I know that the necklace description is correct and it DOES have nine pendants around the collar which is where I am assuming the mistake originated.

Thanks for any response.

Rascal

Rascal, regarding your questions, here I go:

# 1, The large aquamarine 'kokoshnik' tiara:
It's true that it was made for the ill-fated Crown Princess Margaret.
She left it to her son Prince Gustaf Adolf, who gave it to his wife Princess Sibylla. Sibylla was indeed photographed wearing it at their pre-wedding ball, so I figure it must have been an engagement or wedding's eve gift.
Sibylla in turn gave the aquamarine tiara to her daughter Margaretha, the King's oldest sister - and its current whereabouts are not really known, as already mentioned before.

#2, The aquamarine bandeau:
The 'cyclops' bandeau (not nice, but not entirely off the mark either) belonged to Queen Louise, born Mountbatten. It's from the 1920s and was originally designed to be worn across the forehead, in the fashion of that period.

# 3, The Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara:
The tiara has indeed five sapphires surrounded by diamonds on each side of the centralone, so you're correct - the total number of sapphires in the tiara is eleven, not nine.

Much Gratitude

Boris, thank you so very much for the quick response. It alleviates a great deal of frustration from running into dead ends.

I agree that the "cyclops" bandeau is not necessarily off the mark. And it has always seemed to me more in the style of 1920s, much like the diamond tiara that Princess Desiree received. It sounds like your information on it is the most likely.

Regarding the provenance of the smaller aquamarine bandeau, is there somewhere I can find the information or perhaps you could explain more about it (if you also have the information). Was it a wedding gift or did she have it prior to her engagement to the then CP Gustaf Adolf? Is it part of the Bernadotte foundation or is it now the personal property of Madeleine?

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU again for your help! :flowers:

Rascal

You're very welcome, Rascal!
I wish I knew when Louise Mountbatten received the ('cyclops'... ) bandeau or if she might even have owned it prior to her marriage, but I don't - maybe another poster can provide information.

It's also hard to tell if it was made part of the Bernadotte Foundation or not. Actually I don't think so, because it's supposed to have been an 18th birthday present to Princess Madeleine, which would make it her private property.
On the other hand, at least two of then-CP Carl Gustaf's sisters wore the bandeau in the late 1960s, which would point at it being part of the Foundation.
But then, the sister's grandfather could also have let them simply wear his personal property, before leaving it to the current King Carl Gustaf.

Pest

Thanks again, Boris. I won't apologize for bothering you because...well, honestly, it meets my needs...LOL. But I do want to let you know that from first-hand experience, I can appreciate the effort it takes to find the information. For some things, however, it takes a village...or a global electronic forum. I'm sure that many other questions will come up in the future that you (OR ANY ONE ELSE OUT THERE) may answer or comment on, so if I do become an unbearable pest, send me a digital flea collar.:lol:

Rascal

Boris/Josefine/Anyone HELP with Diamond Stomacher-Necklace

Well I'm not a cat but curiosity has been killing me in regards to the diamond stomacher-necklace worn by Queen Silvia at this year's nobel dinner on December 11.

Obviously we all know that Princess Lilian has worn this many times in the last 20-30 years. And from all the photographic and portrait evidence, it looks to have first been worn by Queen Josefina.

The portrait of Josefina is the one most often used in the discussion of the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Parure. In it, pearls instead of sapphires adorn the top of the tiara. It is possible that artistic license was taken with the stomacher, but it is featured so prominently on the bodice and the disctinction between the diamonds and pearls in the tiara is repeated in the stomacher, I am led to believe that the drops in the middle of the stomacher (I've never seen any drops on the necklace) are pearls.

In portraits and photographs of later Swedish queens, it appears that the drops were switched from pearls to diamonds. The presence of a central diamond pendant in the bottom part of the current necklace is what leads me to believe this was the case, in addition to the photographs which would indicate it is diamonds and not pearls in the 20th century.

Here is where I need the help, if you know or care to presume along with me. At both this year's Nobel Banquet and the following night's Nobel Dinner, Princess Madeleine wore a small pair of diamond earrings which both she and Victoria have used quite a bit in the last 10-15 years. In the later photographs of the diamond stomacher with the drops, the earrings worn this year look very similar in size and shape to the pendant drops in the stomacher. Are they or do you agree that they could be the same? The reuse and redesign of pieces in the Swedish collection (the button tiaras, the topaz parure, etc.) is what leads me to speculate and ask.

Also, in some posts I've seen about the necklace, someone (I don't recall who) said Queen Silvia wore the piece before. Can anyone confirm this? What event was it? Does anyone have a photo from the event showing Silvia wearing it?

Thanks for any opinions and responses.

Rascal

Rascal, you seem to be a great jewelry detective and you got it quite right.
These issues were discussed on the Royal Jewels of the world MB quite some time ago, and the following is correct:

The necklace worn by Queen Silvia at the Royal Palace Nobel dinner was indeed Queen Josefina’s stomacher once, and set with drop pearl pendants.
For future Queen Consorts, the pearl pendants were replaced by diamond pendants at one point.
In the early 1980s, the stomacher was converted into a necklace and the inner pendants removed in the process.
It is very likely (though hard to prove definitely) that the small diamond earrings you mention were made from the stomacher’s pendants. Queen Silvia was also frequently seen with these earrings before her daughters started wearing them.

Queen Silvia indeed wore the ‘new’ necklace at least once before Princess Lilian started wearing it, in 1985 at the big Swedish society wedding of Charlotte Palmstiernas with Anders Wallsfyra.
Afterwards, it was left to be worn exclusively by Princess Lilian - my take on it is that Queen Silvia might have found it a bit too heavy for herself as a young woman.
Now that Lilian does not attend official functions anymore, those jewels worn by her which are not her private property but part of the Bernadotte Family Foundations begin to get worn by other royal ladies – just like the tiaras she wore have bit by bit received a new, darker covering of the base, replacing the silver grey velvet bands which matched Princess Lilian’s hair.
An exception is the Laurel Leaf diamond tiara, which I don’t expect to see again until after her passing away, since it is her personal property.

Awe!

Boris, you continue to amaze and impress me with not only your wealth of knowledge about the Swedish RF, jewels, etc. but also with your recall and quick responses. Now my holiday season has several levels of stress gone as you have answered my questions. To that end, I wish to exxpress my graitude again and to wish you a Happy Holiday Season!

Rascal

I have a question about a tiara, worn by princess Desirée of Sweden. Cant find a close up, but it was a nice pic in Queen magazine 8/2009 (page 68) :)

And here is another, but no details are visible... Imageshack - 215782

Can someoone tell something about it? I find it very nice... :) Is this tiara from her husbands family (Silverschiöld)? Or is it a gift to her from someone in the royal family (like her grandfather, the late King). I found pictures with her wearing it in the 1960s too...

Help w Vasa Earrings - Boris, Josefine, any1?

Hello, all. I am hoping any of you can help with info about the Vasa Earrings (?) - particularly Boris and Josefine as you have both been quite helpful in the past.

I know that Queen Silvia and Princess Lilian have worn these pieces on many different occasions. Princess Madeleine and Crown Princess Victoria have worn some open-loop drop earrings of diamonds that have been referred to as the Vasa Earrings without the central pendants.

Here are my questions:
1. Does a photo of just the earrings exist and if so can someone please post as there don't seem to be any closeups of the wearers with a clear picture of the earrings?
2. Are the open-loop earrings worn by Vic and Madde actually the Vasa Earrings or are they actually another pair of earrings?
3. Has anyone else worn them without the central pendant?
4. Has anyone besides Silvia and Lilian worn them in their complete setting (full loop with the central pendant element)?
5. If the central elements can be removed, it stands to reason that other pendant elements could be used in the loops, such as pearl pendants. Has anyone done so? They would look similar to the pearl pendant earrings sometimes seen in the British and Danish families.
6. What is the history of these earrings? If they are called "Vasa", wouldn't that make them possibly older than the button rosettes or at least 2nd to them?

Thanks for any and all help. My searches haven't produced very much.

Rascal

Lots of question about these very beautiful earrings – let’s see, here we go:

1. Actually, there is a beautiful close up of the earrings alone but I’m sorry, I can’t post it here due to copyright reasons. The motif of the pendants inside the loop frames is very intricate and ends in a large diamond suspended at the bottom, multi-faceted in a round-cut. Here’s at least a pic of Queen Silvia from the occasion when she last wore the complete Vasa earrings, during the state visit to Italy in March 2009:
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/picture/13133811.html

2. Yes, the empty frame/loop earrings are the Vasa earrings without the inside pendants.

3. No. And although the loops on their own have a somewhat nice, ‘modern’ feeling to it, IMO they still look, well… empty. The complete earrings are extremely heavy.

4. They were worn by other royal ladies in former generations – Queen Viktoria, Queen Louise, Princess Sibylla.

5. No, different pendants have not been used to hang in the loop frames.

6. The Vasa earrings go back to the Vasa dynasty indeed, as they originally belonged to Queen Lovisa Ulrika, daughter of Friedrich Wilhelm I of Prussia, Queen Consort of Sweden from 1751 – 1777. They left the main Swedish royal branch, but returned to the Bernadottes when they were given to the later Queen Viktoria as wedding present in 1881.
The earrings are certainly among the oldest jewels in the Bernadotte collection, the others being:
- The Vasa diamond, which is the pear-shaped pendant frequently worn by Queen Silvia suspended from one of her diamond revière necklaces (also in the pic above);
- The Braganca tiara, which wasn't made for Empress Amelie of Brazil but altered by her, and dates back to the late 18th century as well;
- And the ‘button’ diamond rosettes you mention.
Of course ten of them are set in two tiaras currently, but in the tiaras, three different designs are featured. Not all of the rosettes were originally buttons on a gala uniform of the first Bernadotte King, and it’s most likely that others are older, dating back again to Queen Lovisa Ulrika and thus the Vasa dynasty – see this link:
http://www.royal-magazin.de/sweden/queen-luisa-ulrika.htm

3. No. And although the loops on their own have a somewhat nice, ‘modern’ feeling to it, IMO they still look, well… empty. The complete earrings are extremely heavy.

Hi, Boris. Thanks for the response and the info. I quite agree with your statement above regarding the loops on their own. I had to ask if they were the same because without the central pendant, they appear, at least to me, like cheap costume jewelry with very poorly made fake stones. Amazing that removing the pendants change the appearance and impression of these so much!

Re: the central pendants. I don't know if you have one, but if you could please post a link to the site (if one exists) with the larger picture with the copyright issue. If not, perhaps you could provide another answer - is the central pendant in a form similar to the drops in the Connaught forget-me-not tiara that are sometimes used as necklace pendants? I know that the entire motif is bigger as well as the large diamond at the bottom but I can't clearly see the design of the top portion of the pendant. I just get the impression that is similar to the Connaught drops. Thanks for any response on this.

And please accept my gratitude again regarding your assistance and information. As you can tell, I have a fixation on the Swedish Royal Family. Your input is always a big help in feeding my fix!

Thanks again and have a great day!

Rascal

The Vasa Diamond

Hi, again, Boris. Forgot to ask this b4.

The Vasa Diamond pendant you mentioned and attached the pic of Silvia wearing - do you know if it also left the main Swedish royal line or has it always remained in Sweden?

As this is called the Vasa Diamond, if it did leave I am assuming it returned with Viktoria of Baden, who most likely received it (along with the Vasa Earrings) from Carola, Queen Consort of Saxony, and princess of the Vasa dynasty, a cousin of Viktoria.

Rascal

Regarding your questions:

The central motif in the Vasa earrings doesn't really match the ones in the Connaught tiara - the ones in the earrings have a different design, are indeed more heavily set, and you can clearly see in the craftsmanship that they are almost 150 years older.
But the oval shape of the frames matches the loops of the Connaught tiara very nicely, and Queen Silvia has frequently combined the tiara with the earrings.

Concerning the Vasa diamond, as far as I know it always stayed with the main branch of the royal family.

The Vasa earrings indeed belonged to the daughter of the Prince of Vasa, Queen Consort Carola of Saxony, before she gave them to Princess Viktoria of Baden as a wedding gift upon her marriage to then-Prince Gustav, the later King Gustav V of Sweden.

Thanks, Boris! Silvia's frequent use of these earrings with the Connaught is what prompted me curiosity about their design. Thanks for all the discussion. As you can tell, it usually sparks other questions for me.

Have a great evening!

Rascal

Speaking about Queen Sophia of (Nassau) Sweden/Norway... this is a lovely picture of a young Sophia with lots of jewels (as they used to wear them at that time) and I was wondering about the tiara, because I cant recognise it...
Fil:SofiaSwedenNorway.jpg - Wikipedia

And in this picture of Queen Victoria:Fil:Queenvictorias.jpg - Wikipedia
it looks like she got "pearl drops" in a long pearl necklace. Can it be the same as the ones we can see at the painting of Queen Josefina? Fil:JosephineSwedenNorway.jpg - Wikipedia
(pictures from Svenska kungahusets smycken - Wikipedia)

The tiara Queen Sofia wears is from the pink tormaline Parure which was given to Countess Ebba Bernadotte (see Boris post in the Queen Silvia Jerwelry thread). There where some pics. on the Royal jewels MB before the Royal Wedding.

As for Queen Sofia the pearl drops are on the Corsage brooch. Wonder where it is now. Could the lower part of it be the antique pearl tiara of Queen Anne-Marie. It was made of an old corsage brooch Queen Ingrid inherited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who has worn what? - Update list 08-17-2010

This is a copy of a post from Queen Silvia's jewelry thread, part 2. I believe it belongs here but I am posting in both just in case. Perhaps the moderators can decide and shift them for me? :flowers:

Now that the Swedish wedding has come and gone...and with the discussions of late about the Swedish Royal Jewelry (I'll still be posting other questions), information about who has worn what items in the Swedish collection has changed and needs an update. I've tried to limit it to people with supporting photographic or portrait evidence of the pieces in question as some painters in the 18th and early 19th centuries used artistic license and some of the depictions are questionable. Here is what I can come up with - feel free to add or correct as needed:

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it :)), Silvia, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria (pendants as necklace only)

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

Rascal

Very good, jonc93! This is the Corbis picture. If you read above our previous discussion of Silvia wearing the cut-steel tiara, the first time it was worn by her was during a visit to or from Austria. She is pictured with Princess Birgitta, who is much younger, still very tanned, but not looking as unfortunate as she does now. In the picture, Birgitta wears this tiara.

She looks lovely over here. She must have been the most lovely princess of Europe in her days.

She looks lovely over here. She must have been the most lovely princess of Europe in her days.

Yes she does look good especially considering how she looks now, a disaster. lol!

I completely agree with the comments about Princess Birgitta. Stunning when she was younger because of her beautiful skin and smile as well as those HUGE eyes. She is a stunning woman now, but for completely different reasons.

What I think is the biggest tragedy is the effect on the jewels. I was so shocked by how tragic she looked I almost didn't notice the tiara she was wearing. As it is one of the largest of the collection, to distract someone who studies the Swedish jewels from noticing it is a huge feat. I can only imagine someone who was seeing anything about the Swedish royal family for the first time being completely shocked and not even see the tiara at all. Queen Louise was not the most attractive woman but she managed to wear the jewels appropriately and managed to look like a queen - regal and elegant, even if she was not pretty.

agree agree... Birgittas look was terrible at the wedding+ night before... maybe because she try too hard to have a "young" style (hair, dress...) but she failed completely and the tiara down over her hair was no hit ( if we are nice we can say she wore the tiara more like in the way they did in the 20:s or so ;-) here Q Louise: Fil:Drottlouise.jpg - Wikipedia
Birgittas sisters on the other hand managed to look like mature ladys and wore their tiaras like queens :) esp Desireé looked fantastisc - not afraid of her age :)

2nd Nagging Question

Hello, any and all. Hope your week is going well. Today I am posting a link to a particular brooch. This picture of Grand Duchess Luise of Baden is part of Miss Merten's Photostream on Flicker:

Luise von Baden, Grand Duchess of Baden | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In it, Luise wears a brooch at her collar which appears to be a cushion pearl in an diamond circle (which may or may not be open between the diamonds and cushion pearl), from which is suspended a teardrop pearl pendant.

Crown Princess Victoria wore a beautiful nude colored dress to the private dinner at Drottningholm during the wedding festivities. It was the same dress she wears in one of the official portraits for the wedding and was used on the cover of the chocolates. She is seated next to Daniel and her hair is open but held up on one side with the Berndotte Rose Brooch.
Here is a link to the photo as posted on Jakob Granqvist's blog:

http://www.jakobgranqvist.com/blog/...06/victoria-daniel-wedding-stockholm-2010.jpg

Here is my question: Her gown is a one-shoulder with fabric over her left shoulder. Pinned to the fabric is a brooch which appears to be the same one worn by Grand Duchess Luise of Baden.

Queen Silvia has also worn this brooch on a few occasions, most recently during the state visit to the Netherlands. Could these two be the same and was it possibly inherited by Queen Victoria of Sweden, Luise's daughter? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rascal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom