Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernadotte Countesses at Carl Philp's wedding

Countess Marianne Bernadotte is Carl Philp's great aunt by marriage. She wore her pearl and diamond tiara, a 4-row pearl choker with a large diamond clasp and diamond bracelets
Countess Marianne Bernadotte of Wisborg attends the royal wedding of... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images
More info about her tiaras was posted here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/bernadotte-family-jewels-515-32.html#post1780307

Countess Bettina Bernadotte wore the ruby and sapphire cufflink tiara. I was made from cufflinks originating from King Gustaf V.
Bettina Bernadotte Wisborg ,her husband Philipp Haug and their son... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images

Countess Jill Bernadotte wore her diamond tiara. It had formerly belonged to her late mother-in-law Countess Estelle. (has anbody seen a better pic of her?)
View image: bernadotte jill

Countess Marianne Bernadotte is Carl Philp's great aunt by marriage. She wore her pearl and diamond tiara, a 4-row pearl choker with a large diamond clasp and diamond bracelets
Countess Marianne Bernadotte of Wisborg attends the royal wedding of... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images
More info about her tiaras was posted here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/bernadotte-family-jewels-515-32.html#post1780307

Countess Bettina Bernadotte wore the ruby and sapphire cufflink tiara. I was made from cufflinks originating from King Gustaf V.
Bettina Bernadotte Wisborg ,her husband Philipp Haug and their son... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images

Countess Jill Bernadotte wore her diamond tiara. It had formerly belonged to her late mother-in-law Countess Estelle. (has anbody seen a better pic of her?)
View image: bernadotte jill

I believe Gettys had a few photos of Jill and so does IBL.

HRH Princess Birgitta has often worn a diamond cross necklace to royal weddings and events,I wonder if it has any royal connections?
She also wears it very often, even when playing golf, it's probably a private item. She has been wearing it since at least 2008, it was perhaps a 70th birthday gift to her?

Originally List Posted by Rascal

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Birgitta

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria, Desiree

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara), Madeleine (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler, Christina

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it ), Silvia, CP Victoria also worn the necklace 2013

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria, Birgitta

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian, Victoria (owner)

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian (given to silvia who has yet to be worn)

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Small cut steel tiara
Victoria

Karl XIV Johan's Earrings
Q Lovisa, Louise, Sibylla, Lilian, Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Cluster Earrings

Queen Josefina's Stomacher Earrings
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Sofia

13 Strand Pearl Choker
Q Victoria, Christina, Silvia, Madeleine

Queen Josefina's 3-Row Pearl Necklace
Q Josefina, Silvia

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

lt was a firm favourite of the late Princess Lilian who wore it at so many Nobel Prize ceremonies over the years,glad to see it being worn again by the Crown Princess!

Earlier today I stumbled upon this old photo of lovely Princess Désirée wearing a sautoir with a very large pearl drop and what looks like a coloured stone above it. In addition to the sautoir, the Princess seems to be wearing her diamond drop earrings and her mother's ruby bracelet (+2 more that I can not identify).
Is there any information know about the necklace? Since the photo is from the 1950's it must be a Bernadotte jewel, right?

(photo courtesy of http://carolathhabsburg.tumblr.com)

Last edited:
Earlier today I stumbled upon this old photo of lovely Princess Désirée wearing a sautoir with a very large pearl drop and what looks like a coloured stone above it. In addition to the sautoir, the Princess seems to be wearing her diamond drop earrings and her mother's ruby bracelet (+2 more that I can not identify).
Is there any information know about the necklace? Since the photo is thom the 1950's it must be a Bernadotte jewel, right?

(photo courtesy of http://carolathhabsburg.tumblr.com)

I believe the pendant of the necklace is one of the pear drops. Possibly from a brooch in the collection. I am sure Josefina will have a good idea.

I think I got it!
After checking all my files on the jewels of Princess Sibylla and the Haga Princesses, I noticed a photo of young Princess Sibylla holding a baby (not visible; The King?) wearing a V-shaped seed pearl sautoir with diamond point and two connecting diamond elements on the sides. From the diamond point a circular pendant hangs. I remember the photo was posted long ago on the RJWMB, possibly by the late Boris.
The night before Prince Carl Philip's wedding last month, his cousin Baroness Sybilla von Dincklage (née Ambler) wore a necklace that caught my eye. You can see the necklace here - Link
Now I'm 99.9% sure that these are one and the same necklace, only with the circular pendant removed and the pearl drop added!
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
:previous: Great find! I think that the necklace is a match, only that is has been shortened. Or it was designed to be worn at various lengths.

Thanks!
I think it has been designed to be worn either as a sautoir or as a shorter necklace. Remember that the Dutch royals have an aquamarine necklace that can also be worn either as a sautoir or a shorter necklace + bracelet. :)

Originally List Posted by Rascal

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Birgitta

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria, Desiree

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha (w tiara), Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara), Madeleine (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler, Christina

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it ), Silvia, CP Victoria

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria, Birgitta

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian, Victoria (owner)

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian (given to silvia who has yet to be worn)

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Small cut steel tiara
Victoria

Karl XIV Johan's Earrings
Q Lovisa, Louise, Sibylla, Lilian, Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Cluster Earrings

Queen Josefina's Stomacher Earrings
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Sofia

13 Strand Pearl Choker
Q Victoria, Christina, Silvia, Madeleine

Queen Josefina's 3-Row Pearl Necklace
Q Josefina, Silvia

Crown Princess Margaret's Diamond Brooch
Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria

Bernadotte Diamond Bracelet
Lovisa, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria

3 Strand Pearl Bracelet
Louise, Madeleine, CP Victoria

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

I have never before seen this picture of Princess Birgitta with Queen Louise's diamond tiara.
Portrait of Princess Birgitta of Sweden pictured wearing a tiara and... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images

In the jewels list above all 4 Haga Princesses are listed as wearers, but I don't think that I have ever seen pictures of Margaretha and Christina with this tiara. Can somebody post pictures of them?

Doesn't Princess Désirée currently own that tiara,would love to have seen it worn at the recent Swedish Royal Wedding!

You are right, An Ard Ri. If my count is correct, Princess Desiree hasn't worn her diamond tiara since the 70th birthday of the King of Norway in 2007. At Victoria's wedding she has worn the amethyst tiara and at the weddings of Madeleine and Carl Philip she wore the large cut steel tiara. It would be nice to see her diamond tiara once again.

Unless Princess Desiree attends a State Banquet or a Noble Ceremony we might not see that tiara for sometime!

:previou: I doubt that she will. But maybe there will be a gala for the 70th birthday of the King next year. That would be a nice opportunity.

I have never before seen this picture of Princess Birgitta with Queen Louise's diamond tiara.
Portrait of Princess Birgitta of Sweden pictured wearing a tiara and... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images

In the jewels list above all 4 Haga Princesses are listed as wearers, but I don't think that I have ever seen pictures of Margaretha and Christina with this tiara. Can somebody post pictures of them?

Here is a link which has photos of all four Haga Princesses in the tiara. http://tiara-mania.blogspot.com/2014/02/diamond-tiara.html?m=1

I like the amethysts but this tiara it is not my favorites.

Last edited:
I really like the circlet design of this tiara and overall its a beautiful tiara!

The stones and the setting are gorgeous! But imo the amethyst circlet is too wide, it usually looks like a lid popped on a pot that is too small. I would like to take out one of the amethyst elements to give it a smaller diameter. Or to take out even more elements and open up the circlet. But maybe such a change would mean that it can't be easily reverted back to necklace anymore?

The stones and the setting are gorgeous! But imo the amethyst circlet is too wide, it usually looks like a lid popped on a pot that is too small. I would like to take out one of the amethyst elements to give it a smaller diameter. Or to take out even more elements and open up the circlet. But maybe such a change would mean that it can't be easily reverted back to necklace anymore?

Agree 100%. The circlet is wider than the base. There is too much empty space between the hairdo and the circlet. It needs some adaptation.

:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom