Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1): That’s an interesting question, I would have to look that one up because it’s ringing a bell... But I don't want to mix up facts so I will verify it first.

2): The large aquamarine tiara is not only a beautiful but also an important piece. It used to belong to Crown Princess Margaret and was given as a wedding gift to Princess Sibylla from her husband. In the Kokoshnik style, it features five large aquamarines with diamond flower motifs in-between.
It was given to Princess Margareta, the King’s sister, upon her marriage, and she loaned it in 1998 to her daughter Sibylla to wear it at her wedding. Ever since, the tiara has disappeared, and it was probably sold when Princess Margareta’s late husband Mr. Ambler ran into financial trouble.
There are rumours though that this beautiful tiara might be seen again in the future... Still rumors, so I can’t elaborate on that.

3): This tiara of diamond circles with a pearl in the center of each circle belongs to Princess Birgitta, who received it as a wedding present from King Gustaf Adolf and Queen Louise. Princess Birgitta lent it to her daughter Princess Désirée for her wedding as well as to Princess Maria when she married Birgitta’s son Hubertus in 2000.

4): The first owner of the diamond tiara belonging to the King’s sister Princess Désirée was by Queen Louise, and it was given to Désirée as a wedding gift.

5): Princess Christina’s own diamond fringe tiara once belonged to Queen Sofia. It left the main branch of the family and was inherited by Queen Sofia’s granddaughter Elsa Cedergren.
She became Princess Christina's godmother and in turn gave the tiara with its Royal provenance back to the main Bernadotte branch by giving it as a gift to her.

Thank you, Boris, for all the interesting facts about the tiaras! Now I have another question... Princesses Margareta, Birgitta and Desirée got a tiara each as a gift when they married. Did Princess Christina also got a tiara as a wedding-gift? Or is the Elsa-tiara her only private tiara? I know her mother Princess Sibylla died in 1972, so she couldn´t give her youngest daughter any present, but maybe Princess Christina's brother did?

Princess Christina quite often wears tiara's that belongs to the Bernadotte-foundations or her brother, like the Cut-Steel-tiara, the Connaught tiara and the button-tiaras. Does the king's other sisters have the same possibilities to lend tiaras (and other jewellery, of course)?

I don't recognize Marianne Bernadotte's tiara at Josefine's picture, but I hope someone else will. :angel:

Regarding Princess Christina, Queen Sofia's diamond fringe or 'Elsa' tiara is the only one she owns personally. It was just recently set in a new, higher frame, which is not really an improvement, IMO; that's how the wore it for the Nobel Awards ceremony.

Marianne Bernadotte's tiara is hardly visible in that pic so it's difficult to tell, but it's most probably her own diamond tiara, which was bought for her by her husband and has no former Royal provenance, if I remember correctly.

The King's sisters continue to have access to the Bernadotte Foundation jewelry 'pool', as far as those pieces are concerned which are not exclusively worn by the Queen. For their brother the King's 60th birthday gala in 2006 for example, Princess Birgitta wore the six 'button' tiara, and Princess Margaretha the amethyst tiara created by Queen Silvia from the parure's large necklace.

Thanks again, Boris! It´s nice that the king´s sisters wears the jewellery too, and the Bernadotte family do have so much beautiful jewellery to chose from.

I'll take a closer look at Princess Christina's tiara. I always thought it was so elegant and nice and suited her perfectly. Not all changes are for the better, though.

And one more question - Princess Birgitta's pearl-tiara. Does it have a family background, like her sister's tiaras?

The base of Princess Christina's tiara was changed very recently, just before this year's Nobel ceremony I believe. I always liked the delicate piece as well, but now it sits high on something like a comb for a base, at a strange angle tilted backwards and with the sides disappearing... pretty good view from the banquet last week here:

IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

I think it's a pity, as I don't see what was wrong with it before.
The Bernadottes have found quite a perfect way to distribute their jewelry IMO, with a few pieces meant to be worn exclusively by certain ladies only, and the others forming a shared 'pool' - a good compromise.
I dislike the habit of 'everyone-can-wear-anything' (like in the Dutch RF) just as much as rigid rules of never sharing jewels (like in the Belgian RF).
I'll have to check up on the circle tiara as well to see if I find the specific provenance mentioned - but I seem to remember that the tiara is also a historic Royal one.

Last edited:
The necklace Princess wears with different stones, i think it has blonged to Crown Princess margreth before.
Is there a photo of anyone else then Lilian wearing it?

But which necklace of Princess Lilian do you mean, Josefine?

About the diamond and pearl tiara from Princess Birgitta i think i read sometime ago on the Royal jewels MB that she given it a a gift to her daugther Désirèe who also wore it on the 60th birthday celebrations of King Carl SVI. Gustaf in 2006. Not sure but i think i have seen a photo of Désirèe on that occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, this necklace, exclusively worn by Princess Lilian today, was given to Crown Princess Margaret as a wedding gift by her parents-in-law, but I’ve never seen a photo of her wearing it.
Here’s a link to Ursula’s site with a whole page about this necklace:
http://www.royal-magazin.de/sweden/crownprincess-margaretas-necklace.htm

Thank you Stefan for the additional information on Princess Birgitta's tiara! I just checked IBL, but couldn't find pic of Birgitta’s daughter Désirée at the King’s 60th birthday...
Would you know to whom the diamond and pearl circle tiara originally belonged?

By coinscidence I found some facts about Princess Birgitta's pearltiara at royal-magazine.de. The website is:
Princess Birgitta of Sweden Pearl and Diamond Tiara |Perlen Diadem - Hochzeitsgeschenk an Prinzessin Birgitta

They say on this site that the tiara was ordered from a Swedish jeweller Carlman when the princess got married. The tiara was a gift from King Gustav VI Adolf. This tiara now belongs to her daughter Desirée, but there is no information about when she got it.

Birgitta seems to have been the first owner of this tiara. I think it´s quite beautiful. It is perfect as a bridal riara, but looks also very elegant with eveningdresses of every colour.

BTW; there seems to be many lovely pictures at royal-magazin.de, a new webbsite for me.:wub::wub:

Yes, this necklace, exclusively worn by Princess Lilian today, was given to Crown Princess Margaret as a wedding gift by her parents-in-law, but I’ve never seen a photo of her wearing it.
Here’s a link to Ursula’s site with a whole page about this necklace:
http://www.royal-magazin.de/sweden/crownprincess-margaretas-necklace.htm

Thank you Stefan for the additional information on Princess Birgitta's tiara! I just checked IBL, but couldn't find pic of Birgitta’s daughter Désirée at the King’s 60th birthday...
Would you know to whom the diamond and pearl circle tiara originally belonged?

Have found the picture in my Archiv:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/royal-europe/DsireundEckbertvonBohlenundHalbach.jpg

and another of Bettina Bernadiotte wearing a small tiara her mother also wore for a offical family Photo in the 80's
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/royal-europe/BettinaBernadotte.jpg

As for the diamond and pearl tiara i thin it was made for Birgitta.

Thank you very much, Stefan!
So the circle tiara was probably made for Princess Birgitta... its base, not the best of constructions, also looks a lot like the bases of the 'button' tiaras which were created around the same time, so it makes a lot of sense.
But I think it's also probable that the new tiara was created from existing historic jewelry... I really wish I could remember where I once read it, but I think someone said that the tiara was made using a necklace.
Regarding Royal-magazin.de:
It's a wonderful site but difficult to navigate. There's a whole wealth of information and pictures on historic jewels, but one has be very careful to search throroughly under several tags, otherwise a lot of stuff can be missed. Most jewelry is listed under their very first owner - historically correct but due to this, pieces of jewelry we know on current Royals are named differently, after previous owners, or even appear under different Royal Houses.

Last edited:
Thank you for the picture of Countess Bettina Bernadotte from the King's 60th birthday gala, Josefine.
I don't have information about the tiara, but I find the very large pendant on her necklace even more intriguing.
It looks like a 18th century miniature, definitely with a painted portrait of a male Royal, set in a diamond frame...
Here’s a better view, of the late Countess Sonja wearing it for the 2001 Nobel award ceremony:

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb/Preview.fwx?position=52&archiveType=ImageFolder&sorting=ModifiedTimeAsc&search=sonja%20and%20bernadotte&fileId=B12BF45F323ED927B8CCCE97EFCDD0C337D6131A0A249DAD81479E55BFCD802357238CD4983E56A7AB58444A38D47495D00AE684C601AEC211196762EF396C984558FBCC37108C9C268CE27ABBEE60C665864DA338F38E47AF3980B7627C26A791C009BA33FAD1614BC60AF28FBFB7A59765575493CB371D7CA2E8C235A42687B2CD90821B57C973&archiveid=5018

Does anyone know more about this?

Last edited:
What tiaras has been used for weddings before silvia and the kings sisters?

1976 Silvia Cameo Tiara
1974 Christinas Connugh tiara

Apart from Princess Christina, all the King’s sisters wore the cameo tiara.
Neither Princess Sibylla, nor Louise Mountbatten, nor Margaret of Connaught wore tiaras for their weddings.
The tradition of brides wearing tiaras for a royal wedding didn't really start before the end of World War II.

Okay so the kings sisters was the first in the royal family to wear tiaras at their wedding day. I did not know that.

The baden fringe tiara was however worn as a necklace in the wedding photo of then princess victoria....for those that did not know that and are new to the jewllery boxes of the swedish royal family.

The second necklace is the Diamond necklace with emeralds that originally was a belt. Queen Silvia wore it for example at the Nobel gala in 1987.

Apart from Princess Christina, all the King’s sisters wore the cameo tiara.
Neither Princess Sibylla, nor Louise Mountbatten, nor Margaret of Connaught wore tiaras for their weddings.
The tradition of brides wearing tiaras for a royal wedding didn't really start before the end of World War II.

Margaretha did not wear the cameo tiara. She wore the bridal crown from the church she was getting married in...

is there any jewllery worn by the royals that are designed by a swede.

here is a link with a few bernadotte jewllery
maybe something new can be found
DINASTÍAS | Los Foros de la Realeza
from ibl

a photo pf princess margaretha
how look is there any jewllery you have know of
i am thinkning pearl necklace and brousch formust
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...A725EF9625E20BA945C3F7A5842F507D2C50F0873DBCE

princess birgitta
http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb...E48CA301E41348A733CB14D7C55A7F85F095038EE545C

The pearl necklace is beautiful!This brooch is the one Victoria wore on her engagement day,right?Does Victoria own it right now?

I found this photo of the 6 button, but there are 2 on the bottom that aren't apart of the 10 button/rosettes. Does anyone know anything about them? Or know why the rows of diamonds were removed? They only reason I can think of for removing them is that they are/were also used as the diamond necklaces, rather then the necklaces and the tiara having their own diamonds. It's not out of the question for them to be removable and reusable, Victoria and Madeleine often were the drops from the Connaught tiara.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3356/sixbuttontiara1.th.jpg

That's a nice pic of Crown Princess Margaret's diamond and aquamarine tiara, inherited by the King's sister Princess Margareta.

I found this photo of the 6 button, but there are 2 on the bottom that aren't apart of the 10 button/rosettes. Does anyone know anything about them? Or know why the rows of diamonds were removed? They only reason I can think of for removing them is that they are/were also used as the diamond necklaces, rather then the necklaces and the tiara having their own diamonds. It's not out of the question for them to be removable and reusable, Victoria and Madeleine often were the drops from the Connaught tiara.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3356/sixbuttontiara1.th.jpg

lilnana, this picture is rather old and most probably shows the six rosettes tiara 'in the making'.
The two diamond rows which are 'missing' at the tiara's bottom here were not removed, but added later. The tiara was originally made for Princess Lilian, who first wore it at the 1985 Nobel Award ceremony. The rosettes themselves are of course much older, from the early 19th century, but this setting is actually contemporary.
The two rosettes in the front - both of different design - are 'spare' ones. The one to the left has been worn as a brooch by Queen Silvia and as necklace pendant on a diamond rivière by both Princess Lilian and Princess Madeleine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom