Bernadotte Family Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Empress Josephine's Cameo Tiara was first owned by Empress Josephine of France. Queen Josefina (as Princess Josephine of Leuchtenburg) received the tiara on the occasion of her 1823 marriage to Oscar of Sweden. In what year did Josefina get the Amethyst Tiara, which had belonged to the Empress Josephine?

here is a list of jewllery i hope we will see in near future

*Queen Sofias Tiara (Estelle Bernadotte tiara) i have no ide if they also bought the necklace
*The cut steel necklace there are two we have not seen in a long time a thinn and a the large
* Princess Lilians jewllery her earings i am intrested in if they are real or fake

I believe it was Queen Ingrid's favorite jewelry and that she brought it with her from Sweden to Denmark. As far as I know it doesn't belong to the crown.

I think Mary wears it so much 1) because it's the only set she has or 2) because it means a lot to Frederik that his wife wears his late grand mother's favorite jewelry.

Oh, what an exiting thread this is. Seeing all these old queens with jewelry that Queen Silvia and the princesses wear today.

It is a common misconception that Ingrid brought the diamond/ruby tiara to Denmark. It was in fact king Frederik IX's grandmother princess Louise of Sweden and Norway who brought it to Denmark when she married Frederik VIII. She brought lots of jewellery to Denmark. It is said the all her jewels would cover a pooltable so the green felt was not visible. Among the jewels were the diamond ruby tiara which was not a favourite of her successor Queen Alexandrine but Queen Ingrid loved it and wore it often. I think Ingrid left it to Frederik for his future wife. Another tiara brought to Denmark by Louise was the Perlepoire tiara which QMII wear occasionally.
index.php

Is this still in the family or was it given to one of her daughters?

The pink topaz set is in fact still in the family -the queen has worn it on numerous occasions, but I am not sure if the crown princess has. I am waiting for Victoria to wear it, but I wonder if Silvia has made it specifically a queen piece so to speak?

I am still waiting for someone with skills to convert the necklace in Photoshop so that we could see what it would be like as a tiara.

The pink topaz set is part of the Bernadotte foundations and can not be given to an individual. I do believe that the family feels it is more of a "Queen piece" and that's why only Silvia wears it, just like she is the only one who wears the bigger, more imposing tiaras (the Braganza, the Nine prong and so on...).

updated list

Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
This is a copy of a post from Queen Silvia's jewelry thread, part 2. I believe it belongs here but I am posting in both just in case. Perhaps the moderators can decide and shift them for me?

Now that the Swedish wedding has come and gone...and with the discussions of late about the Swedish Royal Jewelry (I'll still be posting other questions), information about who has worn what items in the Swedish collection has changed and needs an update. I've tried to limit it to people with supporting photographic or portrait evidence of the pieces in question as some painters in the 18th and early 19th centuries used artistic license and some of the depictions are questionable. Here is what I can come up with - feel free to add or correct as needed:

Crown Princess Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara:
Worn only (thank goodness!) by CP Victoria

Princess Birgitta's Diamond Bracelet Tiara (search her on Corbis):
Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Baden Fringe or Sun-ray Tiara:
Q Victoria, Louise, Christina, Desiree, Margaretha, Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria

Diamond Buttons later used for Tiaras:
Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia, her daughter Queen Lovisa Ulrika of Sweden, Lovisa's daughter-in-law Queen Hedwig Elisabeth Charlotte, King Oscar II of Sweden (King Karl XIV Johan aka Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte left out as no portrait exists of him wearing the buttons either on uniform or on crown)

4-Button Tiara:
Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

6-Button Tiara:
Lilian, Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine, Christina, Birgitta

Queen Victoria's Processional Necklace of Ceylon Sapphires, Pearls, & Diamonds:
Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Desiree, Christina, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Vasa Diamond Earrings:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, CP Victoria, Madeleine

The Bernadotte Emerald Demi-parure:
Sofia, Sibylla, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

Cut-Steel Tiara:
Silvia, Lilian, Christina, CP Victoria, Margaretha

Queen Josefina's Amethyst Demi-parure:
Louise, Margaretha, Christina, Silvia (w tiara), Desiree (w tiara), CP Victoria (w tiara), Margaretha (w tiara), Madeleine (w tiara)

Queen Josefina's Diamond Stomacher-Necklace:
Josefina, Lovisa, Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise, Silvia, Lilian, Victoria

CP Margaret's Aquamarine Tiara:
Margaret, Sibylla, Margaretha, Sibylla Ambler

Russian Pink Topaz Demi-parure:
Louise, Sibylla, Silvia, Desiree, Christina

The Bernadotte Rose Brooch:
Silvia, CP Victoria, Madeleine

Empress Josephine's Cameo Parure:
Queen Hortense, Queen Josefina, Sibylla, Ingrid, Birgitta, Desiree (one time in addition to her wedding - see if you can find it ), Silvia, CP Victoria also worn the necklace 2013

Queen Josefina's Pearl, Ruby, & Diamond Spray Brooch:
Josefina, Silvia, CP Victoria

Leuchtenberg Parure:
Josefina, Q Victoria, Louise, Sibylla, Birgitta, Silvia

Queen Sofia's Tiara or the 9-Prong Tiara:
Sofia, Louise, Margaretha, Silvia, Lilian, Birgitta

The Braganca Diamond Tiara or the Brazilian Tiara:
Sofia, Q Victoria, Louise (also as Crown Princess), Silvia

Princess Sibylla's Tiara or the Connaught Forget-me-not Tiara:
CP Margaret, Sibylla, Christina, Silvia, Desiree, Lilian, Madeleine, CP Victoria (pendants as necklace only). Birgitta

Edward VII Ruby Tiara:
Sonja Robbert (2nd wife of Sigvard), Marianne (last wife of Sigvard), Silvia

Queen Silvia's Diamond Fringe Necklace-Tiara:
Silvia, Madeleine, CP Victoria (as a necklace only)

Queen Sofia's Diamond & Pearl Fringe Tiara (now owned by Christina):
Christina

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara (now owned by Desiree):
Louise, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina

Princess Birgitta's Diamond & Pearl Circle Tiara (now owned by Desiree of Hohenzollern)
Birgitta, Desiree of Hohenzollern, Ute of Hohenzollern

Crown Princess Margaret's Laurel Wreath Tiara:
CP Margaret, Lilian, Victoria (owner)

Crown Princess Margaret's Scarab Necklace:
CP Margaret, Lilian (given to silvia who has yet to be worn)

Queen Louise's Aquamarine Bandeau (now owned by Madeleine)
Desiree, Christina, Madeleine

Don't know if these have a name, so I am giving them a name and, for clarity describing the event as needed:

Mainau Cuff-Link Fringe Tiara:
Countess Sonja Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte, Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding)

Mainau Diamond & Gemstone Swag-Fringe Tiara:
Countess Karin Bernadotte, Countess Bettina Bernadotte (worn for CP Victoria's wedding - it looks to be set with amethyst, citrine, and sapphire stones at the top of the spikes)

Countess Sandra Bernadotte's Bracelet-Tiara:
Countess Sandra Bernadotte (worn for her wedding reception and for CP Victoria's wedding)

*Countess Marianne Bernadotte's tiaras (at least two - one pearl and one diamond and yellow gold) are not included with this list because most reports are that they were brought into the marriage to Sigvard by her.

**Countess Madeleine Bernadotte's tiara worn for CP Victoria's wedding is not included in this list. It has been referred to as the von Rosen tiara, a possession of the family of Prince Carl's first wife, Elsa von Rosen, and borrowed by Madeleine for this event.

***There are some items missing from the list (The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings, some of the diamond brooches, bracelets, etc) because I am still researching them and/or they don't have a "name". Please feel free to add or if you have information you would like to share about these or any other pieces, I will be asking questions about specific pieces when I can.

For now, hope this list helps any others. Have a great day, happy hunting, and I hope we can all discover a great deal together.

Rascal

Such a beautiful necklace! I guess I didn't realize how much of Sybillas jewels her daughters ended up receiving.

The question is... Why is she wearing it, it doesn't match anything !

At the dinner tonight princess Christina wore the aquamarine kokoshnik. There have been speculations before that the king has bought if from Margareta but do you think that this confirms it. Since Margareta lives in England it seems strange to me that she would lend her diadem to her sister just for an ordinary representation dinner, unless she keeps it at the palace in Stockholm.

Well, my secret wish has been to see it on princess Madeleine matched with her new aquamarine earrings and the aquamarines she inherited from Lilian.

I would also like to see Victoria with the ruby diadem. I think the hight of it would suit her and she always looks wonderful in red.

Because of her tragic young death Margaret of Connaught almost has a saint like status in the Swedish RF. If the aquamarine kokoshnik actually
is part of her collection I can't imagine it being sold off to a party outside the family.

If it actually did belong Margaret? I see that 'Royal order of sartorial splendor' credits this tiara to her!. Can anyone cornfirm this please? Is it
a piece she brought along from the British RF collection, is it a wedding present or was it already in the Swedish RF collection when she married
in 1905?

You see, somehow I can't imagine even a young import like Sibylla wearing a tiara associated with the late princess as early as 1932. It would have been sacriledge!

As for the finances of the Swedish RF: They're supposedly by far the richest of the three Scandinavian royal families! I have never heard nor read anything else! Besides if you can host a pre wedding dinner (Madeleine & Chris) in a posh Stockholm hotel for 350 people - in spite of having at least two castles at your disposal - then you're not exactly cash strapped:)!

I understand that Sibylla, Margaret Amblers's daughter has married into old German nobility. If I'm not mistaken they still appreciate a good tiara event.

viv

I have also wondered if the tiara really belonged to crown princess Margaret. There are photografs of her wearing all of her three tiaras, the kedive, the ruby and the forgetmenot cannought, and of her borrowing bigger ones like the cameo, so if she owned a rather big and beautiful tiara like the aquamarine there ought to have been photografs of her wearing it.

I wonder if the tiara comes from Sibylla's family. She wore it the evening before her wedding, and I have not heard what she got as wedding gifts from her parents. From her husband she got the cannought diadem and from prince Eugen the cameo parure. From her family she received that beautiful cabochon sapphire necklace(I think it was from an uncle). I think it sounds likely that royals would(in the 30s) give an important piece of jewellery to a daughter who married a future king.
Has anyone of you seen pictures of the Coburg Gotha ladies wearing jewellery. I think it would be quite interesting to try to find out what jewels of Sibylla's that came from her family.

It might very well be that Princess Margareta keeps the tiara at the Palace in Stockholm and has decided to lend it to her youngest sister who are currently without a private tiara and has a lot more tiara apperances than Margareta.
Margareta lives in a normal unguarded house in England. Not the best place to keep a very expensive royal tiara wich almost never is in use.

Last edited:
What year of the Book "det kungliga året" has a chapter on jewllery?

I can not see the corsage brooch clearly, but I am wondering about the bracelet she is wearing on her left wrist. Is it an emerald in the center to match the emerald cross? Has anyone of the royal ladies worn it after her death?

Well, one must say Queen Louise was an elegant lady.

I think there is very good chance that the Nicolo Parure is still in the vaults collecting dust. Judging from the pictures it a quite colourful parure with blue, black, brown and reddish agates all with different motifs. Finding an outfit that would match this parure would benext to impossible. Back in the day colourful jewellery might have been fashionable but today I think it would be seen as kitsch
Like any queen I think Silvia loves her jewellery, but she is much to classy to wear something that might make her look less regal.

Probably most Royal families have jewels of that sort lying around.

As clearly stated on the site behind the link posted by Josefine: "Today the necklace, brooch and the pair of earrings are in the collection of Chaumet in Paris."

So why should the tiara be the only part of the parure left in the RF vaults? That doesn't make much sense to me. Apart from that, I'm absolutely convinced that Queen Silvia has the panache to pull off such a piece of jewellery, if she had access to it.

but i wonder why Chaumet does not have the tiara if they have the other items.

the small cut steel tiara with comb is said to been laying in the voults and 2012 worn by the crown princess for the first time

is it a difficult tiara to be worn with several colours?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this "mystery tiara" worn by Silvia. I first noticed this picture when I landed at Arlanda a year ago (it's part of Arlanda's "Welcome to my hometown"-greetings) and I'm completely stumped as to what Silvia is wearing. I haven't seen anything like it in the Swedish vaults so I'm wondering if it was borrowed for this occasion? Unfortunately the quality of the pictures that I managed to find are pretty bad, but hopefully someone will spot what it is and have an answer.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-Ym_vcP8QKwM/URQv6dkrBXI/AAAAAAAAaLI/z6_j6A4aqNE/s1600/20130207_232334.jpg
http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/10140472/368/normal/ed362d701cdf7/letade+länge

The lovely ladies of the SRF seem to be pretty good at using their jewellery. I would be surprised if there was much unused jewellery lying around.

I'd love to see Queen Silvia wear these some day,I'd never heard of the Nicolo Parure until now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom