The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Belgian Royal Jewels of the Past

Perhaps we can use this thread to discuss royal jewels belonging to the Belgian Royals in the past. A lot opf items were either sold or inherited by other relatives so there is enough to discuss.

The jewels of Lilian, Astrid, Elisabeth, Karel, Marie-Jose, Marie, Josephine, Henriette, Clementine, Stephanie, Louise, Marie-Henriette, Carlota and Louise-Marie can be discussed in this thread. The present Belgian Royal ladies have a thread of their own.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

I found two pictures on the Hola forum with some long lost Belgian items.

A design for a flower tiara for Lilian, nobody knows if Cleef & van Arpels ever made it but Lilian did wear the red flower as a brooch:

Lilian with red flower tiara.

--

The Belgians had another impressive tiara, I believe it came from Queen Marie-Henriette. It was last worn by Princess Lilian too:

Belgian Flower Tiara

Old 05-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Elisabeth

Queen Elisabeth wearing a bandeau with a central coloured stone. Wouldn't mind knowing more about it.

And of course, the greatest loss of them all: The Cartier tiara

Old 05-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

The bandeau of Q. Elisabeth resembles the emerald choker/bandeau that Josephine-Charlotte took with her to Luxembourg. The piece was recently worn by GD Maria Teresa when the Lux. Grand Ducal couple paid a state visit to Belgium.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Regina View Post
And of course, the greatest loss of them all: The Cartier tiara
I've seen this one up close at the Cartier exhibition when it was in Sydney. It was quite dazzling and easily the highlight of the many pieces on display.
It may be lost to the Belgian Royal Family, but at least it hasn't disappeared or been (gasp!) broken up to make engagement rings.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Administrator

Another picture of Princess Lilian with the flower tiara.

Click here.

As said, some say the tiara comes from Queen Maria Hendrika but it was not worn by either Queen Astrid or Queen Elisabeth, so...
Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Maria Henriette:
Maria Henrietta 3 pictures from fashion photos on webshots nice tiara

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi....Henriette.JPG not the best photo

Maria Henrietta 1 pictures from fashion photos on webshots another tiara and necklace

Marie Henriette, Queen of Belgium pictures from fashion photos on webshots and another tiara

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...de_Brabant.jpg that's regal photo

Marie Henriette (Hendrika) Queen of Belgium by Winterhalter pictures from fashion photos on webshots pearls and brooch?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...m%2C_Buste.jpg nice earrings and necklace?

Thanks to gogm1 for great site.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Louise-Marie
Louise Marie d'Orleans pictures from fashion photos on webshots
Louise Marie d'Orleans pictures from fashion photos on webshots nice brooch, braclets

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...l%C3%A9ans.jpg
Old 12-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Gentry

well what happen was most marie louise of orleans jewels were given to carlotta and the resr were split between the duke of brabant(leopold ii) and count of flanders(albert i father).Also archduchess marie henriette inherit some jewels from her parent and receive others from belgian upon her marriage but i hear that when she died leopold decide to sold some of them and the rest were given to the daughters and others were stored for future queens .Now as for the countess of flanders her jewels were split unto her three children and some went to her daughter in law who receive some jewels from her bavarian family and belgian nation but during the ww1 she had pawn and sold some of her jewels to helps profit the belgian cause and when astrid come in the picure new jewels were made for her and when she died they went to lilian ans also some of queen elisabeth jewels.Queen elisabeth jewels were auction of during her lifetime as in after where her daughter had ask for her money and jewels had to be sold
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Serene Highness

I found something very interesting, its a turquoise demi-parure that was Queen Elisabeths! It then passed To Queen Maria Jose of Italy and now it's for sale, maybe Philippe can buy it for Mathilde or Albert for Paola...
19th century turquoise and diamond parure comprising fringe necklace, pair of bracelets...
Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
I found something very interesting, its a turquoise demi-parure that was Queen Elisabeths! It then passed To Queen Maria Jose of Italy and now it's for sale, maybe Philippe can buy it for Mathilde or Albert for Paola...
19th century turquoise and diamond parure comprising fringe necklace, pair of bracelets...
That is exactly the kind of jewellery that is missing in Belgium! But in the past other important piece of Belgium origin wear auctioned and the BRF never bought anything. They just don't seem to mind.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Could somebody shed some light into this. I understand that Princess Lilian sold most of the royal jewels, she inherited. (BTW - why did they go to her???) So why does the BRF not try to add pieces again or even buy back jewelry which once belonged to them?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
Could somebody shed some light into this. I understand that Princess Lilian sold most of the royal jewels, she inherited. (BTW - why did they go to her???) So why does the BRF not try to add pieces again or even buy back jewelry which once belonged to them?
The logical explanation would be that Leopold owned certain pieces and left thme to his second wife in his will. I guess with is the path of the Cartier tiara: Elisabeth left it to her son - her son to his wife - Lilian sold it . My question is if Leopold owned at the time of his death any jewels belonging to Astrid and if her left them to Lilian too. Does any member know anything about Astrid jewels? I can't believe that all her major bling was just the pieces her daughter and daughters in law used ( Nine Provinces tiara , the art deco tiara- necklace owned by Paola and the emerald choker which went to Luxembourg._Aren't there any others large tiaras or necklaces she owned? I am not familiar with her , that's why I am asking.
My guess is that the older generation (Paola, Albert, Baudoin and Fabiola, as well as Josephine Charlotte) did not want to get involved with Lilian's jewels due to hard feelings, otherwise they would have bought something back.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

There are other. The stockholm wedding gift tiara. A diamond bandeau topped with a big pearl which was a gift from the Citiy of Stockholm. It was never seen again after her death and she also used it not very much. And a convertible emerald necklace/tiara. It was also worn as necklace by Lilian in the late 1940's but not seen after it. This necklace was a gift to her after giving birth to Baudouin and some believe that it could be in the posession of Fasbiola (but she never wore it) as the pieces she got after giving birth to Albert and Joséphine-Charlotte went to this children. Recently there was a big discussion on the Royal Jewels MB about Astrid's Jewels.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Nobility

Thanks Snowflower and Stefan for your explanations. It looks like this is a mystery, which will never be sold.
However - maybe there comes the time - and we will see some new jewelry withing th BRF.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Unhappy

You know,it almost sickens me to see what kind of jewels they USED TO have. It's a crime IMO they were allowed to be given/sold away.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Administrator

It is always assumed that Princess Lilian sold most jewels, but apart from the Cartier tiara, I believe a lot of the items were already sold when king Leopold III was still alive. Of other items it is still unsure if they are sold or collecting dust in the royal safe in Brussels.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Courtier

two photos of Queen Astrid wearing a tiara ( i guess this is the emerald tiara/necklace Stefan mentioned? )
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...en1905-141.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ld_20tinte.jpg
I am wondering what happened to the lovely earrings she is wearing in the first photo. Josephine Charlotte had a pair of earrings with a similar design but they were emeralds I believe, while these seem all diamonds to my eyes.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflower View Post
two photos of Queen Astrid wearing a tiara ( i guess this is the emerald tiara/necklace Stefan mentioned? )
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...en1905-141.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...ld_20tinte.jpg
I am wondering what happened to the lovely earrings she is wearing in the first photo. Josephine Charlotte had a pair of earrings with a similar design but they were emeralds I believe, while these seem all diamonds to my eyes.
Yes this is the emerald necklace/tiara.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

many Pictures for Belgian Royal
Picasa Web Albums - Dermatosur --- - Belgica

Tags
belgian, jewellery, past, royal jewels