Anne, Princess Royal Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
UKPrincessAnneArmssmall.jpg

Anne, Princess Royal Jewellery

Unfortunately we seem to have lost the previous thread so I have attempted to reconstruct it with pictures of Princess Anne's major pieces.
o

The Scroll Tiara

More usually associated with Princess Margaret. Worn here by Princess Anne which shows it is owned by the Queen.

Scroll Tiara

Mystery Tiara 1

Only seen in a series of photographic 'fantasy' portraits.

Diamond (& Pearl?) Tiara
o

The Mystery Tiara

To demonstrate that the Queen's vaults contain never-before-seen major pieces of very serious jewellery, Princess Anne wore this tiara to the Chinese State Dinner at Buckingham Palace in November 2005.

Princess Anne's Mystery Tiara

This is the best picture available. Despite much research and informed guesswork from the experts in the field of British royal jewels, the tiara has not been identified.
It remains a complete mystery to this day.

NB.. It may (or may not) be this Cartier tiara which belonged to the Queen Mother. It was seen in a display but never photographed while worn:
courtesy RJOTWMB

AnneMysteryTiarapossiblythisQueenMotherunknown.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Warren, please accept my full prostrations and thanks for digging up these marvelous goodies. Is the festoon tiara and the pearl and diamond tiara the same or is my eyesight just as shot as I think it is??? They went and ruined the aquamarine tiara when they shortened it. Why is it that such a lovely gem as aquamarine has been stuck in such hideous arrangements. The
BRF has in recent times come up with some real losers where jewels, particularly tiaras are concerned. QEIIs Birma ruby dud, her aquamarine flop, and finally the sapphire ruin. And now another aquamarine fiasco. Somebody needs to have a talk with Her Majesty about all of this. This just will not do. But then the scroll thingie is just perfect.

As for the mystery tiara why doesn't somebody call up Buckingham Palace and ask them??? What can they say, Kiss My Grits??? Surely Mr Munn or whomever has contacts within the hallowed halls of BP (and that's not a petroleum company either) who could quietly rummage around and let us have some crumbs to satisfy our insatiate cravings. After all look what they < ie the royals, parade around in on a regular basis. Why all the secrecy in the first place.

In any case it is a lovely jewel indeed. More goodies for the famished, Warren??? Cheers.

The Festoon Diamond Tiara

This tiara was a gift from the World Wide Shipping Group in 1973.

The Festoon Tiara

Anne wearing the tiara and an elaborate diamond necklace with matching earrings
That's the best tiara which she ever wore:wub:

Isn't Anne's necklace from the 2 photo a part of the Queen Alexandra's big diamond collier?
(which was a base of this from Moulin Rouge film http://www.museimazzucchelli.it/public/32_10-13-29-233_FOTO6%20Collier%20Swarovski%20-%20Nicole%20Kidman%20Moulin%20Rouge!%20FOTO%20A.SCARDUELLI.jpg).

Last edited:
What were the jewelers at Cartier thinking with that aquamarine tiara? The pinecones just don't go with the big squarish stones.

I looked again, thinking that I didn't like the modern look of it, but I think it's the pinecones that mar the effect of it.

Thomas Parkman, do you agree?

Well, Warren, please accept my full prostrations and thanks for digging up these marvelous goodies. Is the festoon tiara and the pearl and diamond tiara the same or is my eyesight just as shot as I think it is??? They went and ruined the aquamarine tiara when they shortened it. Why is it that such a lovely gem as aquamarine has been stuck in such hideous arrangements. The
BRF has in recent times come up with some real losers where jewels, particularly tiaras are concerned. QEIIs Birma ruby dud, her aquamarine flop, and finally the sapphire ruin. And now another aquamarine fiasco. Somebody needs to have a talk with Her Majesty about all of this. This just will not do. But then the scroll thingie is just perfect.

As for the mystery tiara why doesn't somebody call up Buckingham Palace and ask them??? What can they say, Kiss My Grits??? Surely Mr Munn or whomever has contacts within the hallowed halls of BP (and that's not a petroleum company either) who could quietly rummage around and let us have some crumbs to satisfy our insatiate cravings. After all look what they < ie the royals, parade around in on a regular basis. Why all the secrecy in the first place.

In any case it is a lovely jewel indeed. More goodies for the famished, Warren??? Cheers.

I agree with Warren that the festoon tiara and the pearl and diamond tiara are two separate pieces... and I dare you, Thomas Parkman, to have a word with the Queen about the jewelry!! She'd probably be amused to know some of us care about this stuff.

The necklace that Anne is wearing with the festoon tiara, according to Leslie Field, was given to Anne when she turned 18 and taken "from the vaults". I'd love to see those vaults!
And, Thomas, I cannot agree with you more-and I know that you and constantly bring this up (every chance we get, any thread that will listen) that QEII has really messed up some gems with that Burmese ruby thing (looks like fireworks), the Brazilian Flop that just looks wrong, and that Sapphire thing she had made to with the suite of sapphire jewellery her father gave her shortly before his death. I can't decide which I dislike the most--it changes each time I see a picture.
However, the scroll tiara is very beautiful, delicate, and appropriate. It suits Anne, but we haven't seen it in years, have we? I wonder who will next wear it?

Thomas Parkman said:
As for the mystery tiara why doesn't somebody call up Buckingham Palace and ask them??? What can they say, Kiss My Grits???
Enquiries were made of various sources at the time; no answers were forthcoming, although no doubt the polite refusals were made more in line with proper Southern manners rather than in the way you have expressed it. :D

Well, good people, what a fireworks have we started. First I do not know what to think about the aquamarine flop except to sell it off to Imelda Marcos, the tiara murderess, and let her ruin or destroy something that truly needs to be destroyed. Take the stones apart and start over.

Just how emotional a subject this is to me can be discerned by the fact that in my earlier posting-to my immense and immeasurable horror-I misspelled or should I say I mistyped Burma. Life is just one long humiliation.

I would love to talk to Queen Elizabeth and very politely ask her about the various goodies in the royal collections. As for southern manners, well southern manners came originally from England. South Carolina for example was founded by the 8 Lords Proprioters, who were the cabal of politicians and con artists who ran England after the restoration. Thery were out for a fast quid and turned to SC to turn a profit. As a result SC is still a Plantation society and manners are an absolute must. Hence my joke about Kiss my Grits. Were I to say that to somebody at the Palace or God Forbid, the Queen, (Prince Philip I might get away with it) I would be tarred, feathered and run out of Columbia on a rail and then taken up to Lake Murray and hanged, drawn and quartererd. But I must say again the track record of the BRF in recent years in the area of jewelry has been mediocre to very bad. Cheers.

Since there is an upcoming wedding of a grandchild of the Queen, the question on my mind is this:
Will Autumn wear a tiara at her wedding to Peter Phillips?

What does everyone else think?

I think that the Princess Royal enhances these lovely jewels, beautifully. I also think that it's highly likely that she'll lend them to her new daughter-in-law to wear at her wedding.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful photos.

As it's likely that any tiara for the Peter Phillips/Autumn Kelly wedding will be courtesy of the Princess Royal, I'll merge the two threads rather than duplicate the same tiara pics.

Why not? You don't have to be royal to wear a tiara on your wedding day. Camilla was just a commoner when she married Andrew PB and she wore a tiara. The same one that her daughter wore on her wedding day many years later.

i make my bette in the aquarian tiara... or probably the queen give to her a new one.

does anyone have a clearer picture of the earrings P Anne wore at the recent Saudi Banquet? they are very galm for our Anne!!

What about that tiara in the fantasy portraits? It has to be real, can anyone place it to something kind of similar?

Last night channel 9 aired the program "A Year with the Royal Family" or something like that. Princess Anne was seen in the background wearing the beautiful festoon tiara whilst attending the banquet held for the State Visit from Ghana. :flowers: Couldn't make out the other jewels she was wearing, would love to see photos if any of the members know where they are!

Thomas Parkman, I truely love jewelry and I'm going to study gemology so I can become a jeweler. Now as for the tiaras of the BRF that you don't like and wish that they were taken apart so they can start over in your opinion. I want you to know Thomas Parkman that I'm not trying to hurt your feelings and say that you should keep your opinions to yourself, because then it wouldn't be much of a forum if we kept our opinions to ourselfs now would it no it would not. Thomas Parkman what I'm trying to tell you is that before you go and criticise the tiaras that you have named in this thread you should realize that there are far worse looking tiaras out there (i.e. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden first tiara), is that you should understand that the tiaras you named in this thread are actually not that bad. I mean look at the pictures of the tiaras being worn that you have named in this thread actually look good on them i mean you should take in account that it all comes down to how they wear it and present themselfs when wearing them. I mean take the pinecone tiare of princess Anne's for example I know you think it looks AWFUL but it actually looks and works with her because of her hair color and style. Now if the late Lady Diana, Princess of Wale (may she R.I.P.) wore the pinecone tiara it would be HORRIBLE I mean it wouldn't work for her all because of her hair style and color. So what I'm saying is that you should REALLY look at how they present themselfs while wearing the tiaras because it's the personnal style of the People who wear the tiaras which make it work. Forgive me if I hurt your feelings Thomas Parkman that truely isnt my intention, but please try to also not to think about your dislikes of the tiara when you look at it on a person try to study the picture then try to picture someone else wearing the tiara that you don't like and you might find out that the tiara that you disliked actually worked for this person after you saw what it looked like on another person. Sincerely Rebbevb

Dear Revvevb,

You have not hurt my feelings. Believe me, life is one long humiliation and you might as well get used to it. As for waxing venemous on the subject of tiaras, well it is a lot less stressful and causes less murderous feelings that waxing anything on, say, the subject of politics.

As for the tiaras, they are not all bad. Anne has been able to get a few scrumptious goodies to bedeck her most royal personage. Others are just flops. I refer you to the Worst Jewels Thread, which to my deep regret has seemed to die a natual death. Talk about horrors. But I do not unsay one word that I have said. But in that magnificent exposition of sarcasm and bile these monstrosities got the treatment they diserved. But then there are those jewels, of which tiaras are among the most magnificent, of which I am not only fond, I positively and revoltingly lose all self control and start drooling, foaming at the mouth and quivering like a rabbit with delight. Take a gander at the Fife tiara, the Floral Wreath parure, the Desiree Clary parurue, the pearl tiara murdered by Imelda of the Tacky Shoes Marcos, the Cartier Indian tiara of the Duchess of Glouchester and the Bagration tiara and on and on it goes. It is such a cheerful subject. cheers.

Thomas, the Worst Royal Jewels thread has not died--it is languishing for more horrors! We've merely exhausted our resources at the moment--never fear, we will find more. Recently, we have begun to discuss the wretched pieces in the Luxembourg royal family (SHUDDER!!!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas Parkman, I truely love jewelry and I'm going to study gemology so I can become a jeweler. Now as for the tiaras of the BRF...
Rebbevb--as a fellow lover and collector of jewels, I do like the way you have defended these pieces because the stones themselves have not done anything except become ensnared in a web of bad, bad design. The Pincecone tiara, for example. Those are lovely stones--and I enjoy the history of piece (having belonged to the Queen Mother--her husband gave it to her)-but it was shortened :eek::eek: to make it more "wearable" and since that time, well, I think there is way too much space between the top three elements and the whole thing looks odd---I refer you to post number 4 of this thread--Warren posted some lovely photos of this piece. The first is of the tiara itself, the second is of Princess Anne wearing the piece. There is a difference. Which looks better? I would love to have that center aquamarine for a nice brooch.
Good luck in Jewel School! How lucky for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Janet and Thomas Parkman, I just took another look at the pinecone tiara it looks like the center is missing because if you look at the picture where HRH Princess Anne, The Princess Royal is wearing it then look at the picture of just the Pinecone Tiara alone you can tell that they're two different versions because in the picture where The Princess Royal is wearing The Pinecone Tiara the center is different its more of a circle. Its possible this is the tiara she wore in 2005 but Im not sure. Sincerly Brent aka Rebbevb

Brent aka Rebbevb---there is a distinct difference--I have to say that I prefer the picture of Anne wearing the piece--it looks more symmetrical there. I don't care for the pic of it alone--I'm not sure which is the remodelled version---Warren? Anyone know???

Back
Top Bottom