Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg (formerly Princess of Denmark) Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks like a cocktail ring to me due to its size, but that's a whopper of a diamond and I would assume cabochon rubies since they seem to have a pinkish-red color to them.

I think her one and only is her beautiful wedding tiara. I don't know if she wore any other besides that when she was a princess.

I love this tiara also IloveCP, I only wish it would go back to the Queen, so it could be seen, but I know we have beat that topic to death, Im just sayin....

I like this tiara too, one of my favourite.

I think it was so ugly that it was not returned. She gets a nice check. She should have brought upon herself to just return it.

If it was given to Her Excellency, it is hers; and as the article mentions, she is the mother of two princes of Denmark, and this beautiful tiara may well descend to their branch of the royal family in the fullness of time anyway.

I think it was so ugly that it was not returned. She gets a nice check. She should have brought upon herself to just return it.

Why on the earth should it be returned? As Valerie says, it is Alexandra's and she is the mother of two of QMII's grandchildren. Upon Alexandra's death (perhaps even sooner – maybe it will be the wedding tiara of a future daughter-in-law), the tiara will either go to one of them (or they will share it amongst each other) or return to the throne. As such, one could practically consider it to almost be in the possession of the future extended royal family.

Queen Alexandrine's Fringe Tiara is in Count Ingolf's possession (although it's mostly worn by Countess Sussie :p) and Princess Elisabeth has Princess Thyra's Sapphire Tiara, should they have returned those tiaras since they're "merely" members of the extended royal family?

Besides, Alexandra uses it when she's invited to something that demands a tiara – like the gala show in honour of QMII's 40th jubilee in 2012.

Last edited:
I agree, lovely tiara. Such a waste it is not likely to be used much in the future. I so wish QM was able to buy it back from Alexandra.

Why on the earth should it be returned? As Valerie says, it is Alexandra's and she is the mother of two of QMII's grandchildren. Upon Alexandra's death (perhaps even sooner – maybe it will be the wedding tiara of a future daughter-in-law), the tiara will either go to one of them (or they will share it amongst each other) or return to the throne. As such, one could practically consider it to almost be in the possession of the future extended royal family.

Queen Alexandrine's Fringe Tiara is in Count Ingolf's possession (although it's mostly worn by Countess Sussie :p) and Princess Elisabeth has Princess Thyra's Sapphire Tiara, should they have returned those tiaras since they're "merely" members of the extended royal family?

Besides, Alexandra uses it when she's invited to something that demands a tiara – like the gala show in honour of QMII's 40th jubilee in 2012.

My point was that Alexandra is going to be invited to very few tiara events now. Her daughters-in-law will also only have a distant relationship, and will see relatively few tiara events in their lifetimes. F&M have 4 children, so even in Christian's reign, N&F will not have major roles.

It would have been nice if the tiara returned to the Danish main line, so it could be used more frequently. If required, it could be lent back to the wives of N&F to wear at their weddings, and any other events they may be invited to.

I'm always of the opinion that if Margrethe is okay inviting Alexandra to events where a tiara has to be born knowing she will be showing up in the tiara then she mustn't be to upset with Alexandra. As has been pointed out Alexandra will almost certainly pass the tiara on to her children's wives. Just because M&F have 4 children doesn't mean the other grandchildren of the Queen should be overlooked.

To be honest if I was Alexandra I would use the tiara but have it in my will that it would return to the monarch on the event of my death.

I'm always of the opinion that if Margrethe is okay inviting Alexandra to events where a tiara has to be born knowing she will be showing up in the tiara then she mustn't be to upset with Alexandra. As has been pointed out Alexandra will almost certainly pass the tiara on to her children's wives. Just because M&F have 4 children doesn't mean the other grandchildren of the Queen should be overlooked.

But since her remarriage Alexandra ws invited to exactly one tiara Event not more.
And if it gies tio her sons if find it duifficult. Which one's wife will get it. And why this one and not the other.

Denmark is one of the European monarchies that have the most occasions where a tiara is worn.
Many upperclass families both noble and bourgeois retain their tiaras as could be seen at the Christiansborg banquet a few days ago so I'm pretty sure that the tiara in question will be used several times in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Denmark is one of the European monarchies that have the most occasions where a tiara is worn.
Many upperclass families both noble and bourgeois retain their tiaras as could be seen at the Christiansborg banquet a few days ago so I'm pretty sure that the tiara in question will be used several times in the future.

Fair point, but in all the years since her separation and subsequent divorce, Alexandra has only been invited once to an event where tiaras were required.

Fair point, but in all the years since her separation and subsequent divorce, Alexandra has only been invited once to an event where tiaras were required.

Alexandra yes, but her sons being princes will probably take part in more tiara wearing events in the future than their mother has done lately.

To be honest if I was Alexandra I would use the tiara but have it in my will that it would return to the monarch on the event of my death.
Would you? Because I most certainly wouldn't. If I were Alexandra, I would want my own children to inherit my most valuable possessions. If the children then sold it, they'd at least have the money to help them on in their lives. As much as I'd love to see the tiara safe in the royal vaults, I really don't expect the Countess of Fredriksborg or their sons to give it up for free.
Alexandra yes, but her sons being princes will probably take part in more tiara wearing events in the future than their mother has done lately.
Quite right. Unless they change the dress code completely to ‘no tiaras’, there will be regular tiara events for their wives. And if the family keeps having white tie weddings Alexandra will have occasion to wear the tiara then. (I assume that she will be invited to her nieces and nephews weddings.)
On the other hand the tiara had long been unseen till Alexandra wore it at her wedding. The Queen had stopped wearing her ‘girlhood’ tiara long ago. We really can’t expect Marie to wear her predecessor’s tiara, and it would also look strange if Mary were showing up with her former sister-in-laws tiara. The tiara wouldn’t be seen for a long time anyway.

And if the family keeps having white tie weddings Alexandra will have occasion to wear the tiara then. (I assume that she will be invited to her nieces and nephews weddings.)
Which family and nieces and nephews do you mean? Alexandra's siblings children?

No, I mean Fred & Mary's kids. Ok, she is only a divorced aunt. But the families kept close contact. Christian & Co. grew up in close contact with Nicolai and Felix. I definitely assume that Alexandra will be invited, although it is still early days to set up guest lists for the children's weddings.

No, I mean Fred & Mary's kids. Ok, she is only a divorced aunt. But the families kept close contact. Christian & Co. grew up in close contact with Nicolai and Felix. I definitely assume that Alexandra will be invited, although it is still early days to set up guest lists for the children's weddings.

Ok? I don't think of them as "aunts" and "nieces and nephews", especially as she divorced Joachim 10 years ago. I wouldn't definitely assume, that (at the earliest) 15, 20 years from now, she will be invited to Christian's (possible) wedding, but who knows...
Let's see who was right when and if that day comes ;)

That tiara has hardly been seen for 10 years and will probably be seen very little for the next 10.

Have been thinking very hard and I cannot remember once when a divorced wife of uncle of a bride or groom was ever invited to his niece or nephew's wedding. Especially if divorced 20 to 30 years prior. My daughters certainly didn't invite my brother's first wife to their weddings but of course their cousins were. If it wasn't for the children, would they even associate on a social level anymore? Remember Fergie wasn't invited to William and Catherine's wedding but his cousins were. Was Alexandra invited along with her current spouse to the Queen's birthday gala? As far as the tiara, it is her piece of jewelry. Alexandra can do whatever she wants with it. Since she doesn't attend tiara events much, she could also have dismantled into a suite of necklace, earrings, etc., if she desired. She could also sell it at auction. It is her personal possession not the family's

But since her remarriage Alexandra ws invited to exactly one tiara Event not more.
And if it gies tio her sons if find it duifficult. Which one's wife will get it. And why this one and not the other.

I understood that Alexandra attended the formal New Years court each year as a member of the Order of the Elephant. Surely she would wear a tiara to that event.

I understood that Alexandra attended the formal New Years court each year as a member of the Order of the Elephant. Surely she would wear a tiara to that event.
Nio she only attended those before her remarriage. Since then not anymore.

Back
Top Bottom