The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I totally agree, Sophus. Is there a picture of Queen Alexandrine wearing the tiara? I know she didn't like jewelry but I was hoping to see at least one picture of Alexandrine with her tiara. I've only seen the tiara on Alexandra.
I have been searching for pictures of Alexandrine in gala at the Royal Danish Library but with no result. She is only pictured with her russian tiara (today owned by the Count of Rosenborg her grandson), the Danish pearl and diamond tiara (today owned by the Queen), and her german wedding diamond and sapphire tiara (broken and used for new jewels). She was not the great lover of jewels and prefered to live a quiet life. For example did she never wear the ruby and diamond parure that Mary has today and she gave it to Ingrid without having worn it herself...

Margrethe was giving the tiara when she turned 18 and she is pictured with it many times as it was her major tiara until she became queen in 1972. She gave it to Alexandra in 1995 as a wedding present.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Thanks for looking Sophus. I had a sad feeling that would be the case.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
an Imperial Russian archduchess,
Grand Duchess, not Archduchess. Archduchesses came from Austria and other German empires and duchies. The Russian Royals were called Grand Dukes for the males and Grand Duchesses for the females.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Actually the real title was in Russian, which I can't remember now although I do remember reading an article that neither archduchess or grand duchess was considered a really good translation.

The closer translation was I believe something like Grand Princess but that translation never caught on in the English speaking world.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-09-2007, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Actually the real title was in Russian, which I can't remember now although I do remember reading an article that neither archduchess or grand duchess was considered a really good translation.
The closer translation was I believe something like Grand Princess but that translation never caught on in the English speaking world.
In Russian it is Velikiy Kniaz, which the purists translate as "Grand Prince". Common usage is "Grand Duke", which is not a literal translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu An
Archduchesses came from Austria and other German empires and duchies.
Since the mid-to-late 1400s 'Archduke' and 'Archduchess' have been used exclusively by members of the Habsburg dynasty, and were (are) "of Austria".
Old 02-09-2007, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
I wish they would start making more stringent provisions regarding tiaras etc. in the Danish royal family. IMO it would be better to let the various royal ladies share from a collected pool - like it seems they do in Holland - but keep it 'close' to the regent.
Also think it was such a pity that the late Queen Ingrid bequeathed the Khedive tiara (the 'wedding' tiara) away from the DRF. With the exception of the small tiara bought for Mary for her wedding (she should have worn the Khedive!) there does not seem to be many tiara acquisitions (not counting the poppy thing! ). They should hold on to what they have IMO.
That also my thought especially as the have not to much tiaras and some of the Jewels like the emerald Parure and the big diamond necklace can not worn abroad. Queen Margrethe has for big State Visits abroad only the big floral tiara and the Pearl Tiara with necklace and Brooch and the smaller ones.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Courtier

Alex will not sell the tiara. Yes, she was given it upon her marriage, but when she dies it will go back to the crown. What they mean by jewels are her personal jewelry she has collected when she married Joachim. For instance several very large pearls etc.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
In Russian it is Velikiy Kniaz, which the purists translate as "Grand Prince". Common usage is "Grand Duke", which is not a literal translation.

Since the mid-to-late 1400s 'Archduke' and 'Archduchess' have been used exclusively by members of the Habsburg dynasty, and were (are) "of Austria".
Thanks Warren I knew you'd know. :)

There was a wonderful site on the Danish royal jewels which I can't find any more. But it had a great description of the difference between the jewels that were not allowed to be sold or even taken out of Denmark and the jewels that had no such restriction.

I thought the jewels with restrictions were called the Danish crown jewels but I can't find the reference now. Does anyone know what they are called? i believe the ancient pearl necklace that Queen Ingrid had restored by wearing it every night was part of that collection.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

There was a wonderful site on the Danish royal jewels which I can't find any more. But it had a great description of the difference between the jewels that were not allowed to be sold or even taken out of Denmark and the jewels that had no such restriction.

I thought the jewels with restrictions were called the Danish crown jewels but I can't find the reference now. Does anyone know what they are called? i believe the ancient pearl necklace that Queen Ingrid had restored by wearing it every night was part of that collection.
That's correct ysbel.

All pieces belonging to the Danish Crown Jewels (housed at Rosenborg Castle) are not allowed to leave Denmark.

The more notable pieces that can travel abroad are...

The Oranje-Nassau suite
The Floral Aigrette
The Russian Sapphires
The Queen Desiree parure
The Baden Palmette tiara
Old 02-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

The pieces who are not allowed to taken abroad belong to the Crown Jewels and are on display at Rosenborg Castle.
The include
- the emerald parure (Tiara, Necklace, Brooch Earrings)
- a seth with pearls and Rubies (Pearl-Necklace, Brooch, earrings)
- the big diamond necklace worn by the Queen at the Wedding of Frederk
and Mary
- the big floral brooch worn at the Wedding of Frederik and Mary and the
earrings who go with it
- the diamond belt set

and of Course the different and Regalias Crowns but the are not in use anymore.

As i have read on the Royal-Jewels MB the Danish Royals Jewels Site will be made new and then be reopened.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Thank you Madame Royale.

Thanks to your post I went to the Danish side of the Rosenborg Castle site and found some amazing pictures of jewels in the Danish Crown collection. The English side of the site shows less than half the jewels of the Danish side.

Rosenborg - Ska*tkammeret, 3. Sektion

This is the pearl necklace that Queen Ingrid wore every night to bring it back to its luster. When she found it, the pearls were totally black.

Smykkesæt
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophus
IMargrethe was giving the tiara when she turned 18 and she is pictured with it many times as it was her major tiara until she became queen in 1972. She gave it to Alexandra in 1995 as a wedding present.
At the Scandinavia Royal Message Board, some pictures have just been posted on occasion of princess Astrid Mrs. Astrid Ferner's 75th birthday. The first picture includes the then princess Margrethe wearing the drop diamond tiara if anyone wants to have a look - The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: Re: Norway: Princess Astrid Mrs. Ferner's 75th birthday
Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thank you Madame Royale.
Thanks to your post I went to the Danish side of the Rosenborg Castle site and found some amazing pictures of jewels in the Danish Crown collection.
You're welcome ysbel
I've had the pleasure of visiting Rosenborg a few times and I've loved every visit! The Danish crown jewels are truly some of the loveliest pieces.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
At the Scandinavia Royal Message Board, some pictures have just been posted on occasion of princess Astrid Mrs. Astrid Ferner's 75th birthday. The first picture includes the then princess Margrethe wearing the drop diamond tiara if anyone wants to have a look - The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: Re: Norway: Princess Astrid Mrs. Ferner's 75th birthday
And on the Royal Jewels MB there is a group-photo from the Coronation of Emperor Nikolaus II. in 1896 where you can see Grand Duchess Anastasia of Mecklenburg-Schwerin wearing the Tiara. They write that it was stretched over an Frame so that it looks more than a russian Kokoshnik. Click on the photo it is an HQ.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: 1896 Coronation HQ Picture

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
And on the Royal Jewels MB there is a group-photo from the Coronation of Emperor Nikolaus II. in 1896 where you can see Grand Duchess Anastasia of Mecklenburg-Schwerin wearing the Tiara. They write that it was stretched over an Frame so that it looks more than a russian Kokoshnik. Click on the photo it is an HQ.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: 1896 Coronation HQ Picture
It's a totally different tiara. It's easier to see detail of the tiara in the book 'Jewels of the Tsars' by Prince Michael of Greece and the design is very different from the Alexandrine tiara. The only similarity is that there are arches in both.

Best regards,

Ayvee
Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Any sight of an engagement ring yet?

Old 02-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Any sight of an engagement ring yet?
I wonder if he can compete to the smashing 2.5 carat diamond and ruby ring she got from Jo! Alexandra was soooo in love then (sigh!)
Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Nobility

I don't think her new ring has to compete with her other one. What ever ring her fiancee gave her he gave her because he loved her and i'm sure she appreciates and loves it. Just as I am sure she loves him.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Aristocracy

Is it me or was the earrings from the wedding today the same as she wore when she first met the press at her engagement to prince Joachim in 1995???

And - the necklace? - it was a present from Joachim in the first year of their marriage....!!!

Strange choice of jewels for a second wedding!

?

Old 03-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Nobility

I was just going to ask the same thing... I too have a hunch that her jewels today (here) were gifts from Joachim.

It seems a little strange- someone who seems to be happily leaving a royal life behind wearing jewels from this period of her life at her next wedding.

Tags
alexandra, countess, countess of frederiksborg, denmark, frederiksborg, jewellery, princess alexandra