The Kings Of The Hellenes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vasilofron

Gentry
City
Athens
Country
Greece
KING GEORGIOS A'

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 492
KING CONSTANTINE XII'

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 370
KING ALEXANDROS A'

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 416
KING GEORGIOS B'

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 470
KING PAVLOS A'

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 519
KING CONSTANTINE XIII'

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 481
Thank you Vasilofron. Most of those pictures I had not seen before.

H.M. KING GEORGIOS A' OF GREECE

Attachments

• GEORGIOS_A_SITE.jpg
    GEORGIOS_A_SITE.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 724
H.M. QUEEN OLGA OF GREECE

Attachments

• BASILISSA_SITE.jpg
    BASILISSA_SITE.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 667
H.M. KING CONSTANTINE XII' OF GREECE

Attachments

• BBBBBSITE.jpg
    BBBBBSITE.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 734
H.M. QUEEN SOPHIA OF GREECE

Attachments

• SSSSSSSSSSSSITE.jpg
    SSSSSSSSSSSSITE.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 681
Portrait of King George II in Uniform
Original caption: King George II of Greece exiled during World War II. Head and shoulders photo taken in 1942 during visit to New York.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 431
Constantine I, King of Greece

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 419
www.corbis.com

Royalty Of Greece In Auto During Parade
Original caption: 4/1/47-Athens, Greece: Greece's 56-year-old King George II died suddenly on April 1st, a short six months after resuming his shaky throne. He was succeeded by his younger brother, Crown Prince Paul, 46. King George (left), Prince Paul (right), and Princess Frederica are shown in their automobolie during a recent parade in Athens.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 417
www.corbis.com

Blessing of the Greek King
King Paul of Greece is blessed with holy water by a metropolitan while on a Greek cruiser in the Tinos harbour with his wife Queen Frederika.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 498
Interesting picture....

Women Protest Against Greek Royal Visit, 1963
Original caption: Original caption: King Paul and Queen Frederika arrive in London. Additional Hulton Text: King Paul and Queen Frederika of the Hellenes were welcomed at Victoria Station, London, today, Tuesday, by HM The Queen and other members of the Royal family at the start of their three day state visit.----Two young ladies displaying copies of a paper called "Challenge" bearing the headline "The Unwanted Guests", near Victoria Station, London, today, Tuesday just before the King and Queen of the Hellenes were due to arrive.

© Hulton-Deutsch Collection/CORBIS

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 427
H.M. KING CONSTANTINE & H.M. QUEEN ANNA MARIA

Attachments

• CARD_20KING_20NEW.jpg
    CARD_20KING_20NEW.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,804
THE SIX KINGS OF THE HELLENES!

Attachments

• sixkingssite.jpg
    sixkingssite.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 423
30 drachma coin and the reverse.

Attachments

• 30drs_1a_mom__b.gif
    30drs_1a_mom__b.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,367
  • 30drs_1bnomisma_vas__a.gif
    30drs_1bnomisma_vas__a.gif
    12 KB · Views: 1,283
Last edited by a moderator:
King Constantine...

Attachments

• 10drs_1971b_bvas_constantin.gif
    10drs_1971b_bvas_constantin.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,358
constantin20.jpg

who was the Danish prince who at the age of 19 became King of Greece?

I found it
King Christian IX's son Prince William was elected as King of Greece and took the name King George I of Greece - more facts here

HM KING KONSTANTINE OF GREECE

Attachments

• untitledv_constantinos.jpg
    untitledv_constantinos.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 455
Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 31st, 2003 - 7:36 am
I found it
King Christian IX son prince william Was elected as king of Greece , he took the name King George I of Greece more facts here
:heart: I disagree with the link in some points:

a}If King Georgios A,remained a protestand to the end of His life,then why did He changed His name from William to Georgios at 17,and buried according the Orthodox tradition at his 60's??

b}When the Greek commitee saw the "Royal Lad" they immediatelly saw their future King in His face!!He belonged to the line of Byzantine royals that spreaded all over the world after the fall of Constantinople

c}He bought TATOI land and residence with His OWN money that He brought from Denmark,and turned it into a Advsnced Prototype of Agricultural Cultivation,so the farming economy of His young Kingdom to adopt these methods{wich he was giving freely to farmers}so the population didn't starve.

e}His Young kingdom was actually a Protectorate of the three supepowers of that time!England,France and Russia...Politicians were loyal to one of the three,(otherwise they wouldn't be politicians)On the top of all that,land owners, berglars and groupists were destroying the counties of the small poor kingdom!!
He managed not only to resolve these problems,but to grow His Kingdom 2 times as much during his Reign......

Aside all these,if all historians will agree that he has lived as a Dane in His personal life in all His life then May God bless Denmark and her children!!!!!

can't answe 2 or 3, but as to why he would change his name..
he got a country out of the deal :)
and a lot of people can say they've changed their relgious beliefs and still secretly follow the one closest to their heart (in his case protestantism?).

1.He was a life long member of the Lutheran Church. However, it was important for him to respect the traditions of the Greek Church fo the purposes of legitimacy. He married an Orthodox woman and the children were all raised in the Orthodox faith.

2.He isn't descendant from any Byzantine (Palaelogos) line that I know of This is a myth, sprouted to give the monarchy more legitimacy. Unless some one can show you an exact geneolgy outlining the descent, don't believe it. In short, it had less to do with "his face" and more to do with the Great Powers and the balance in the world system at the time. That's why the picked a neutral prince.

3.Tatoi was acquired with the dowary monies of Grand Duchess Olga Constantinova. Her father, Constantine Nikoilavich, was the richest of all the Grand Dukes.

4.He didn't solve the problems. The problems were still there. That's why Greece was such a troubled country in the early part of the last century and, one could argue, that's why the Great Powers (Britain)were able to have his son removed during WWI.

1) It was important for Him to respect the traditions and the faith of His people that is why he converted Himself to an Orthodox at 18 took the name GEORGIOS A',married to an Orthodox Grand Duches,in an Orthodox ceremony,ALL His 5 chidren Batised Orthodoxs,and when He was killed He was burried the Orthodox way!!If He was aLife long protestant wouldn't he have turned at least two of His own children to his hypothetical religion????

2)It is true that King George Had the support of the western superpowers of taht era!He married GD Olga of Russia ,and through this marriage won also the favor of Czar to support Him to his mission to turn Greece into a state and to make a stable Kingdom.So he gained the support ahd the appreciation of the three supepowers !!!Also please try this link about the byzantine descentacy of the Greek Dynasty: greekroyaldynasty.tk

3)The money for acquiring TATOI Estate,came to Him,when He became of age,through a Fund trust(Diapistevma) that His Uncle was managing!So,no dowery was envolved in this....!

4)During His Reign he resolved fundumental problems of his Kingdom!!!All the rest was politician's work to do .......So it was their fault if they remained unsolved and as we all know His son and the next King was exiled because of them!!!!

interesting points moody, can you provide some evidence for us?
Sean, I think I've heard some of your points before, in some texts I had to read for my world history class.
as a side note, could history texts for schools be any more boring? I wish they cared less about numbers and data and more about giving us a realistic portrayal of the people involved in the history!

I did gave a link to everybody,in my prior post,also try the Official Greek history!Also there are some booklets in circulation......Anyway, nobody can surely say what Someone Who has long ago passed away , pelieved in His house,!!!!!Non of us all either!!What I red in the history what I saw in paintings-------I saw in a lithograph Georgios A' (when he first came to greece)entering into the orthodox cathedral accompanied of the Archbishop His uncle and guards ------Is it an evidence????????

Back
Top Bottom