The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Royal Family of Greece > Greek Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Nobility

Queen Olga (1851-1926), consort of King George I

Olga Konstantinovna, later Queen of Greece, with her mother. Coloured by me

"Looking back on her short life I often wonder why we did not see that she was quite too good for this world, her fit companions were the Angels." ~Margaretta Eager about Princess Elisabeth of Hesse (1895-1903)
Old 09-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Nobility

Queen Olga (1851-1926)

Does anyone have a good source of info in Queen Olga? Her genealogy (I know she was a Russian Grand Duchess)...
And some good pictures of her?
Thanks!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
Does anyone have a good source of info in Queen Olga? Her genealogy (I know she was a Russian Grand Duchess)...
And some good pictures of her?
Thanks!
Look at Wikipedia. If you search for "Queen Olga" or Queen Olga of Greece" you will also be referred to the national Portrait Gallery site where you'll find a magnificent portrait of hers by Vandyk dating back to 1922. She is in mourning dress following the unexpected death of her son Alexander. Please note that during the short interregnum, she became Regent of Greece.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Here's the Wikipedia entry,

here's a larger version of the Wikipedia Queen Olga portrait,

and here's the National Portrait Gallery Vandyk Portrait of Queen Olga.
o
Old 07-31-2007, 03:56 PM
Aristocracy

In my post #3 above, I quoed inadvertently King Alexander as Queen Olga's son. He was, in fact, her grandson, the second son of her first son King Constantine I.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Aristocracy

I read (I believe in a book by prince Michael on the Greek Royal Family) that Queen Olga was feeling extremely homesick and whenever a boat of the Russian Navy arrived in Piraeus, the port adjacent to Athens, she would visit with the sailors joking and having fun with them.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:03 AM
Gentry

It's interesting to note that since the Prince of Wales is a direct descendant of Queen Olga, he will, upon his ascension to the British Throne, become the first British monarch to also descend from the Imperial House of Romanov. And perhaps also the only royal descendant of Queen Olga that will be a reigning monarch
Old 11-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Nobility

Are there any good books about Queen Olga? I find her quite interesting, just from the little I have read about her.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

Olga must have inherited her good looks from her mother, Alexandra of Saxe-Altenburg
File:Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Jewels of the Tsars, Prince Michael describes his great-grandmother as a natural beauty, using only simple pearls to highlight her good looks instead the usual grand Romanov jewels. She would also "keep her corsets on at night in order to preserve her wasp-like waist, and had silver and ivory paper knives made in the charming shape of her foot."
Old 08-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

She is very like to her mother.
Olga brings many traditions of Russian Orthodox Church to the Greek royal family. King George was not orthodox, but she belonged to the Russian Orthodox Church.
The crowns suspended over the heads of the spouses in the weddings of Royal family belonged to the Russian Orthodox Church, this was not the tradition of Greek Orthodox church.
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4405/weddingmxs.jpg

other picture of Olga
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6893/olgaa.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2583/queenolga.jpg
Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Aristocracy

In fact, the Crowns at the royal weddings is a tradition that Queen Olga brought from Russia. All eastern Orthodox countries-Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Modenegro- have this tradition, not only in royal weddings but in every wedding.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Serene Highness

Portrait of young Olga as a Grand Duchess
Olga of greece image by pastroyals on Photobucket
Old 08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Serene Highness

other pictures
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6202/olgagreece.jpg

with her sons
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/563/olgaviuda.jpg
With family of russia.
Grand Duchess Elisabeth Mavrikievna (wife of Konstantin Konstantinovich ), Olga with her sons Constantine and Nicholas and before the Grand Duchess Alexandra Iosifovna (mother of Olga) and Grand Duchess Elisabeth Feodorovna

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5254/olga.jpg

when was the Bolshevik Revolution , Queen Olga was living in Russia, she traveled to Saint Petersburg to leave of country, but Greece was a Republic and they didnt recognized her Greek passport, she had that to ask aid to the embassy of Denmark, Denmark helped to her to leave of Russia with a Danish passport.Part of her family was assassinated in Russia
Old 08-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Nobility

thank you! by pictures.

her live was very interesting. where did she died??
Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Serene Highness

She died in Italy, the family was exiled in Italy
Old 11-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Serene Highness

These pictures of the Queen Olga of Greece I love. She was a very elegant woman, her dress was typical of the Russian court to which she belonged.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2249/yutyu.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7951/ugikui.jpg

In this photo she reminds me of Princess Theodora

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3706/olga4.jpg
Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Nobility

The first photo, the dress is beautiful .... This is very elegant..
Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinulord View Post
It's interesting to note that since the Prince of Wales is a direct descendant of Queen Olga, he will, upon his ascension to the British Throne, become the first British monarch to also descend from the Imperial House of Romanov. And perhaps also the only royal descendant of Queen Olga that will be a reigning monarch
Will not the Prince of Asturias, upon becoming King of Spain, also be a reigning monarch descending from Queen Olga??? His mother was, before her marriage, Sophia of Greece.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
Will not the Prince of Asturias, upon becoming King of Spain, also be a reigning monarch descending from Queen Olga??? His mother was, before her marriage, Sophia of Greece.
True, but two reigning monarchs already have Romanov blood: Margarethe of Denmark and Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. Romanov bloods has run through the Danish monarchs since 1947 through Queen Alexandrine.

Nicholas I > Michael Nikolaevich > Anastasia Mikhailovna > Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Queen of Denmark

Margarethe and her first cousin, Carl Gustaf, are descended twice over from Grand Duchess Maria Pavlova through their grandmother Margaret of Connaught and great-grandmother Victoria of Baden, via the houses of Prussia and Saxe-Weimar:

Paul I > Maria Pavlova > Marie of Saxe-Weimar > Frederick Charles of Prussia > Louise Margaret of Prussia > Margaret of Connaught, Crown Princess of Sweden

paul, tsar of russia > maria of russia > augusta of saxe-weimar > louise of prussia > victoria of baden (queen of sweden)
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Nobility

Good Call Empress R!!!
I totally missed those - didn't even cross my mind; as I was thinking solely along the lines of any being descendants of Queen Olga.